Zone1 Is there really a job shortage? Or are employers the problem?

Personality quizzes to be a dishwasher at olive garden or work at walmart? Why?

The quizzes tell you there is no wrong answer, but obviously there is a wrong answer. Why else would you have this long pointless personality quiz if there is no wrong answer?

Seems getting hired for menial jobs is being more and more complicated and taking longer. And then you throw in dumbshit things like diversity and equity makes things even harder because you might find the right candidate but they are white and diversity demands they not be white so you have to keep searching.

I remember many years ago I had a 50 question personality test that questions like "would you stay over to finish an important job" and a bunch of really odd confusing ones. But the job was just above menial work. But at my current job where I have heaps of responsibility and make 3.5x the amount of money all they did was interview me once and all I had to do was demonstrate I had actual knowledge and show I wasn't a flake.

So I can't help but wonder if there is really a job shortage or if employers are setting up too many roadblocks, being too picky and letting stuff like diversity get in the way.

I mean there is definitely a percent of the work force not working because they have been trained to think they need skilled labor wages for non skilled labor positions, that they only want to work from home, expect to have like unlimited mental health days and so on that have basically made them lazy and believe they deserve everything for nothing.
Prescreening for liars, rapists, thieves is a good idea.
Too bad we didn't do it in 2016.

What confuses me is questions like "would you take the first slice of pizza" or whatever it was. Someone would just pick the answer they thought would make them look the best. People lie or distort things or withhold their true thoughts at interviews anyway, a weird ass personality quiz wouldn't be any different.

I guess companies get talked into using stuff like this by salesman and they think it will make things easier and save them time and money but in the end it doesn't. If you talk to someone face to face you can see what kind of person they are better than just reading some spreadsheet from some multiple choice questions online.

Some snake oil salesman struck gold with olive garden and Walmart when he sold them this program.
The tests asks the same question in multiple variations.
Trying to fool the test generally only shows that you're trying to fool the test.
And
Results in a quick exit from the process.

Sort of like trying to fool
1709469141277.png

There never was a labor shortage. That's been debunked as an msm lie. Employers have never had a bigger pool of incredibly hard working people to hire. If they can't fill a position that's all on the employer.
You are mistaken.
There may not be a "labor shortage" but there is definitely a shortage of functionally employable labor.

I use my Fast Food Paradigm
When unemployment is high the quality of food and service at FF restaurants goes up.
When unemployment is low the quality suffers.
FF jobs are the bottom of the employment barrel.
This leading indicator "surveys" what is, in effect, the bottom rung of the employment ladder.

/----/ Even for menial jobs, it costs money to hire employees. The popular fad these days is to ghost your employer. You're hired, but never show up, or disappear without notice because another business offered you 50 cents more an hour, leaving the employer swinging in the wind.
I was in corporate America for 35 years, and I've seen big changes in employee/employer relationships. There is no longer loyalty on either side these days, at least not like it was way back when.
Perhaps these long interviews are designed to weed out the lazy workers who only look for the path of least resistance.
There was never "loyalty" from the employer.
The moment an employee costs more than he produces, he's gone.
No matter the circumstance.
Unless, of course, the employee is someone like me who's cost to replace is far more than the short term overage.

To me 3 days notice that one is quitting is more than enough. Why should one work 2 weeks longer for less when they could be earning more during those 2 weeks. Job hopping is now the trend and it's not really a bad thing. When one person quits its easy to find another.
I've told my kids and others...
You owe the employer nothing but an honest days work.
If firing you this moment is ion his interests, he will.
You owe exactly the same courtesy.

I've told my kids and others...
You owe the employer nothing but an honest days work.
If firing you this moment is ion his interests, he will.
You owe exactly the same courtesy.
Yep. Today's emoyer doesn't care about their employees. In fact they kind of loathe them. It used to be different.

Yep. Today's emoyer doesn't care about their employees. In fact they kind of loathe them. It used to be different.
It was never different.
Employees have never been anything more than undesirable necessities.

It was never different.
Employees have never been anything more than undesirable necessities.
That's why I love to hear them complain about having a hard time finding workers or better yet "there's a lack of work ethic today" and other NONSENSE. That's so not true.

The quizzes tell you there is no wrong answer, but obviously there is a wrong answer. Why else would you have this long pointless personality quiz if there is no wrong answer?

Seems getting hired for menial jobs is being more and more complicated and taking longer. And then you throw in dumbshit things like diversity and equity makes things even harder because you might find the right candidate but they are white and diversity demands they not be white so you have to keep searching.

I remember many years ago I had a 50 question personality test that questions like "would you stay over to finish an important job" and a bunch of really odd confusing ones. But the job was just above menial work. But at my current job where I have heaps of responsibility and make 3.5x the amount of money all they did was interview me once and all I had to do was demonstrate I had actual knowledge and show I wasn't a flake.

So I can't help but wonder if there is really a job shortage or if employers are setting up too many roadblocks, being too picky and letting stuff like diversity get in the way.

I mean there is definitely a percent of the work force not working because they have been trained to think they need skilled labor wages for non skilled labor positions, that they only want to work from home, expect to have like unlimited mental health days and so on that have basically made them lazy and believe they deserve everything for nothing.
Unemployment is at near all time lows. Wages are historic highs and running ahead of inflation since 2019. There is nothing to suggest underemployment except for anecdotes for people looking to find a weakness in this roaring economy.

Unemployment is at near all time lows. Wages are historic highs and running ahead of inflation since 2019. There is nothing to suggest underemployment except for anecdotes for people looking to find a weakness in this roaring economy.

Well we keep hearing that these ten million illegals that the Tater administration is trafficking into the country are because there's a need for people to fill jobs.

Seems like the narratives are beginning to clash.

Well we keep hearing that these ten million illegals that the Tater administration is trafficking into the country are because there's a need for people to fill jobs.

Seems like the narratives are beginning to clash.
No. That is exactly the same narrative. The OP was suggesting people were having to take jobs they were overqualified for cuz the jobs available were not good. I am sayin the opposite which is that jobs are good and so good that the bad jobs need to be staffed with immigrants because there are so many good jobs for Americans to take, comparatively.

There was never "loyalty" from the employer.
The moment an employee costs more than he produces, he's gone.
No matter the circumstance.
Unless, of course, the employee is someone like me who's cost to replace is far more than the short term overage.
/-----/ "There was never "loyalty" from the employer."
Except for my time in advertising, many companies were loyal to their employees. Other's weren't .

/-----/ "There was never "loyalty" from the employer."
Except for my time in advertising, many companies were loyal to their employees. Other's weren't .
I'm sure they were...
Till a buy went bad, a customer lost, a copyright suit over an ad...
or
On the bench for an extended period
Then...Not so much.

It's never been easier to find good workers. Any company that sees it differently have only to look in the mirror for the full reason why.
Does this apply for police officers ? No it doesn't, because the police are operating in a woke environment now. Anything they do or say CAN and will be used against them in a court of woke Law !!!!!

Here's a list of questions I created for potential employees. To be honest ... I don't give two hoots what a person's background or experience is as long as they can answer the following questions honestly and accurately. Hint: Most of the "men" I've hired don't have a clue how to operate in a basic work environment!!!

Questions For Potential Employees:

1) You’re walking through the warehouse and you see some trash on the floor. What do you do?
You step over the top of it or kick it to the side and let someone else pick it up.
You throw some more trash on the floor to give it company.
You pick it up and throw it in a trashcan or dumpster.

2) You need to use a wrench so you take one from the work bench. What do you do with it when you’re done?
You leave it on the floor and let someone else retrieve it and put it away.
You hide it where nobody can find it.
You return it to the exact spot where you got it from.

3) There are deliveries to be made. What do you do?
You automatically load up the truck and make the deliveries.
You sit in a chair playing with your cell phone until someone tells you to make the deliveries.
You call the customer and tell them to come get their own crap.

4) It’s been windy outside and the warehouse has a lot of dust and leaves in it. What’s the best course of action?
You walk on the leaves until they, too, turn to dust.
You get a broom and you sweep the floor.
You scoop up some dirt from outside and throw it on the floor and plant some corn.

5) You use the bathroom and leave the toilet and/or sink a bit dirty. What do you do?
You leave the mess for someone else to clean up.
You take a picture of your mess and share it on TikTok.
You clean up after yourself so the next person doesn’t have to.

6) As a potential (company name) employee, what best describes you?
I only do the bare minimum and never go the extra mile because I’m nobody’s slave child.
I like to sit on my tail until someone tells me what to do.
I’m a team player and help others whenever I can. I look for ways to be a valuable asset to the company and my coworkers.

7) You just made a delivery and the fuel tank is very low. What do you do?
Continue driving until the tank runs out.
Drive back to the shop and leave an empty tank for the next guy.
Be courteous and fill the tank in preparation for the next trip.

8) You use the forklift to remove a pallet from a delivery van. What do you do with it?
You bring the pallet into the warehouse and set it in an area that won’t block foot traffic.
You leave it outside for someone else to deal with.
You set in in front of a store display or a highly trafficked aisle.

9) You’re at a customer location and he wants to order some things. What do you do?
You tell him how much you hate taking orders and you flip him “the bird.”
You ask him if you can borrow a pen and paper and then ask him to write it down.
You pull out YOUR pen and YOUR paper and you politely take his order.

Here's a list of questions I created for potential employees. To be honest ... I don't give two hoots what a person's background or experience is as long as they can answer the following questions honestly and accurately. Hint: Most of the "men" I've hired don't have a clue how to operate in a basic work environment!!!

Questions For Potential Employees:

1) You’re walking through the warehouse and you see some trash on the floor. What do you do?
You step over the top of it or kick it to the side and let someone else pick it up.
You throw some more trash on the floor to give it company.
You pick it up and throw it in a trashcan or dumpster.

2) You need to use a wrench so you take one from the work bench. What do you do with it when you’re done?
You leave it on the floor and let someone else retrieve it and put it away.
You hide it where nobody can find it.
You return it to the exact spot where you got it from.

3) There are deliveries to be made. What do you do?
You automatically load up the truck and make the deliveries.
You sit in a chair playing with your cell phone until someone tells you to make the deliveries.
You call the customer and tell them to come get their own crap.

4) It’s been windy outside and the warehouse has a lot of dust and leaves in it. What’s the best course of action?
You walk on the leaves until they, too, turn to dust.
You get a broom and you sweep the floor.
You scoop up some dirt from outside and throw it on the floor and plant some corn.

5) You use the bathroom and leave the toilet and/or sink a bit dirty. What do you do?
You leave the mess for someone else to clean up.
You take a picture of your mess and share it on TikTok.
You clean up after yourself so the next person doesn’t have to.

6) As a potential (company name) employee, what best describes you?
I only do the bare minimum and never go the extra mile because I’m nobody’s slave child.
I like to sit on my tail until someone tells me what to do.
I’m a team player and help others whenever I can. I look for ways to be a valuable asset to the company and my coworkers.

7) You just made a delivery and the fuel tank is very low. What do you do?
Continue driving until the tank runs out.
Drive back to the shop and leave an empty tank for the next guy.
Be courteous and fill the tank in preparation for the next trip.

8) You use the forklift to remove a pallet from a delivery van. What do you do with it?
You bring the pallet into the warehouse and set it in an area that won’t block foot traffic.
You leave it outside for someone else to deal with.
You set in in front of a store display or a highly trafficked aisle.

9) You’re at a customer location and he wants to order some things. What do you do?
You tell him how much you hate taking orders and you flip him “the bird.”
You ask him if you can borrow a pen and paper and then ask him to write it down.
You pull out YOUR pen and YOUR paper and you politely take his order.
/---/ I stopped reading after #4. Completely useless. Slackers are just going to tell you what you want to hear. Seriously.

/---/ I stopped reading after #4. Completely useless. Slackers are just going to tell you what you want to hear. Seriously.
You are exactly correct. I know from lots of personal experience. Nevertheless, I've planted a seed. It will come as no surprise to the slacker when I pull the questionnaire from their file and remind them of what I expect from them (not that that will make a difference either). America's work ethics (like her moral standards) are all but completely dead.

Forum List

Back