Why do people do this?

I do admit taking your own life you have to have balls of iron..
Because we are not set up for it in our conscience .

No, it doesn't. It's not a brave act.

Almost always, it's just a reaction to a single moment.

Were both on the same page , here..

Could you kill yourself? I could never always tomorrow.

I think I could. I've never felt the desire to do it, though.

In fact, I think I would, if I started losing my mind, with Alzheimer's or senility.

The knowledge that the option exists is comforting, in a way.

Tomorrow is a new day, you will never know what surprise tomorrow brings if you end your life today.

Why do people follow, post, and affirm inspirational quotes from people who have committed suicide?

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams
and now Anthony Bourdain.

These are the three that over time I’ve seen the most posts on social media. All these inspirational and spiritual sayings that people are posting didn’t help those guys any.

It makes no sense to me.
Their "greatness" leaves more oxygen for the meek.
Please spare the politicians tho.
Less hurricanes.
. Wind-BAGS you dolts :5_1_12024:

In fact, I think I would, if I started losing my mind, with Alzheimer's or senility.

Really?

Dude we all have those feelings.. but don't you want to know what happens next?

Yeah we get old, missing old friends long gone, but we can make new friends and help them by pushing them to achieve their goals ..

Tomorrow is a new day, you will never know what surprise tomorrow brings if you end your life today.

I agree, and that's why I've ever even considered doing it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't, if it was perfectly clear to me that there was no hope in tomorrow.

But the other side of this is - I've never been depressed. If anything, chemically I'm the opposite of depressed.

I've been sad, but it's not the same thing.

Understood, but why would you, especially if you are depressed, listen to quotes from people who’s depression causes them to kill themselves?
Because at the time a song, poem, or story was composed or written, the composer, artist, or writer wasn’t suffering from depression; what composers, artists, and writers create are unrelated to their depression, and that a composer, artist, or writer might have subsequently suffered from depression neither undermines nor invalidates what they’ve composed or written.

Hmmm....but then why did they suffer depression? If they are being held in esteem for their inspirational thoughts and sayings, why didn’t those thoughts, that outlook on life that people want to emulate, stop them from getting that depressed?

Because depression isn't about externalities. It's not a choice. It has nothing to do with success or esteem. It's a function of brain chemistry.

Sadness and depression aren't the same thing.

almost true

Would you care to elaborate? What do you think I've got wrong?

it is true that there is an inherent (neurotransmitter based) tendency
toward or not toward the "affective disorders" <<< ie MOSTLY DEPRESSION-----but the experiences of life----LIFE's situation plays
a role JUST AS POWERFUL (in common parlance----it is a NATURE, NURTURE----and THE SLINGS AND ARROWS OF OUTRAGEOUS
FORTUNE------all rolled up together that DO YOU IN ) -----same is true
of physical illness-------some people overcome a lifetime of white sugar
ingestion (never say that to my mother---white sugar free and 98 years old)

Really?

Yeah we get old, missing old friends long gone, but we can make new friends and help them by pushing them to achieve their goals ..

I don't disagree.

But what I am is my mind. If I lose that, I'm not me any more. There's nothing to hope for.

My grandmother started to lose her faculties a year or so before she died (at 97). That was the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced - watching the strongest and most powerful woman I'd ever met become unable to form coherent thoughts. That's not something you can recover from. There's no hope in tomorrow.

I agree, and that's why I've ever even considered doing it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't, if it was perfectly clear to me that there was no hope in tomorrow.

But the other side of this is - I've never been depressed. If anything, chemically I'm the opposite of depressed.

I am trying to figure you out, I considered suicide many times but I remember all the girls who loved me..if I took the easy way out..they would too..

It's a domino effect, if I couldn't live life why should they?

Really?

I don't disagree.

But what I am is my mind. If I lose that, I'm not me any more. There's nothing to hope for.

My grandmother started to lose her faculties a year or so before she died (at 97). That was the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced - watching the strongest and most powerful woman I'd ever met become unable to form coherent thoughts. That's not something you can recover from. There's no hope in tomorrow.

But I think it changed with you.. your posting and reading stuff on the internet..you are keeping your mind sharp..

That says alot.

Really?

I don't disagree.

But I think it changed with you.. your posting and reading stuff on the internet..you are keeping your mind sharp..

That says alot.

:lol:

I'm not worried about the genetics, I was adopted - and I'm also still pretty young (mid-30s).

It's the idea of it that terrifies me - I don't have any reason to think that it will happen to me, but it could.

The things I understand about the human brain is you piss someone off and they respond

I am trying to figure you out, I considered suicide many times but I remember all the girls who loved me..if I took the easy way out..they would too..

Good luck figuring me out, I haven't been able to yet.

I've had an interesting life, with plenty of ups and downs. Had some bad times with some bad drugs. I've lived on the street, lived on couches, and I've also lived in comfort. I've lived in 6 or 7 states, and worked 15 different jobs. I've lived on minimum wage, and I've earned $100,000 in a year.

I just know that depression is not a condition I suffer from.

Really?

I don't disagree.

That says alot.

I'm not worried about the genetics, I was adopted - and I'm also still pretty young (mid-30s).

It's the idea of it that terrifies me - I don't have any reason to think that it will happen to me, but it could.

Your only in your 30's?

Pal you got along way to go..its ok, don't think about it.. you will meet a wonderful wife and have children and have so many wonderful memories ..

I've had an interesting life, with plenty of ups and downs. Had some bad times with some bad drugs. I've lived on the street, lived on couches, and I've also lived in comfort. I've lived in 6 or 7 states, and worked 15 different jobs. I've lived on minimum wage, and I've earned $100,000 in a year.

Shit.. join the club.. damn

Your like me.

What I did was like a rocky movie , I quit a high paying job and went for a physical job.
Pay is the same just more hours.

We have way to much in common

Really?

I don't disagree.

That says alot.

Your only in your 30's?

Pal you got along way to go..its ok, don't think about it.. you will meet a wonderful wife and have children and have so many wonderful memories ..

I already met her - we're not married per se, but we would be, if common-law marriage still existed. And I've already got a lot of wonderful memories.

For the most part, I don't think about the whole senility thing. But when I do, it's basically the only thing in the world that truly scares me.

This is not a huge surprise to me, actually. I think I had already put that together, somewhere in my head, based on other posts you've made here.

This is not a huge surprise to me, actually. I think I had already put that together, somewhere in my head, based on other posts you've made here.
Yea you figured me out..

But only the smart ones can figure each other out.

Forum List

Back