Why do people do this?

“One of the most wrong-headed, yet frustratingly prevailing, mindsets regarding clinical depression (and almost any other mental illness) touts that sufferers contribute nothing of value to society. Rather than seeing it as a serious medical condition, the general public insists on portraying clinical depression and similar diagnoses such as bipolar, panic and anxiety disorders as character flaws.”

50 Famous Artists & Thinkers Who Have Struggled With Depression | Nursing Schools.net

Wrongheaded, indeed; just as the thread premise is wrong to suggest that the work of those famous who suffered from depression, and in some cases committed suicide, was likewise ‘flawed.’

Why do people follow, post, and affirm inspirational quotes from people who have committed suicide?

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams
and now Anthony Bourdain.

These are the three that over time I’ve seen the most posts on social media. All these inspirational and spiritual sayings that people are posting didn’t help those guys any.

It makes no sense to me.

Don't be like them? I will never get why someone with all the money/fame they could ask for take their own life..

They should of just gave it all a way and lived under a bridge or something instead..walk away..

I seriously believe that the best of those people are seriously messed up in the head. There are hundreds of examples.

Much of depression can come from a chemical unbalance

Hmmm....but then why did they suffer depression? If they are being held in esteem for their inspirational thoughts and sayings, why didn’t those thoughts, that outlook on life that people want to emulate, stop them from getting that depressed?

This thread is turning out interesting..i could say using my own life as an example , I hate being on top, I love to climb the mountain to get there..thats why I quit jobs, nothing left for me really to do except sit around on the clock..

Possible for the same with them, they reached their goals in life, they are on top of the world and they have no challenges left to do..

Interesting.

I think that those who think that way do go off and do something else. Some have started restaurants, businesses, charities, etc., but others continue until they break down.

I wish other posters would chime in, it's like when I had an amazing game of bowling ..i nailed 7 strikes in a row..by the 8 th frame, when I was killing my friends, I thought to myself this is to easy and not fun anymore..

So I purposely threw a huge gutter ball..

I never bowled since and that was 20 years ago.

Suicide is one hell of a gutterball.

But that's the way out of it..

I guess I tried to hijack your thread..

Sorry

It was about people posting inspirational quotes from people that took the easy way out of life and killed themselves

No worries, it was a good discussion

Why do people follow, post, and affirm inspirational quotes from people who have committed suicide?

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

These are the three that over time I’ve seen the most posts on social media. All these inspirational and spiritual sayings that people are posting didn’t help those guys any.

It makes no sense to me.

Don't be like them? I will never get why someone with all the money/fame they could ask for take their own life..

They should of just gave it all a way and lived under a bridge or something instead..walk away..

I seriously believe that the best of those people are seriously messed up in the head. There are hundreds of examples.

That is true. The question then becomes; why quote them when it obviously doesn’t help with the chemical imbalance?

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.

That is true. The question then becomes; why quote them when it obviously doesn’t help with the chemical imbalance?
Why not quote them?

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.

Why not quote them?

Because they committed suicide?

They took the easy way out..you and I know life can be hard

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.

Why not quote them?

If you are doing it to make yourself feel better, or to help with your depression, it obviously isn't going to work. Certainly they are free to quote them, but why?

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.
Maybe simply to point out that their lives were more than how they ended?

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.

See I never get this, was they trying to make a statement? Well it was a stupid one because they are long gone and dead.

They are history now..

I do admit taking your own life you have to have balls of iron..
Because we are not set up for it in our conscience .

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.

I would agree with that if the quotes posted were about the things they were best at. Like quotes from Bourdain about cooking and travel, or quotes from Williams that we’re about comedy, acting, or were just jokes, or Cobain about music. But most of the ones I’ve seen are the affirmation, motivation, and inspiration type.

If you are doing it to make yourself feel better, or to help with your depression, it obviously isn't going to work.
Clearly this is ridiculous, as different things work for different people.

It’s not ridiculous at all. It is correct as is your statement that different things work for different people.

If you are doing it to make yourself feel better, or to help with your depression, it obviously isn't going to work.
Clearly this is ridiculous, as different things work for different people.

It’s not ridiculous at all. It is correct as is your statement that different things work for different people.
Clearly not, as the truth of my stamennt completely answers your question and ends any need to continue ue the thread.

/Thread

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.

Depression can have many different causes. Some people fail to seek help.

Understood, but why would you, especially if you are depressed, listen to quotes from people who’s depression causes them to kill themselves?
Because at the time a song, poem, or story was composed or written, the composer, artist, or writer wasn’t suffering from depression; what composers, artists, and writers create are unrelated to their depression, and that a composer, artist, or writer might have subsequently suffered from depression neither undermines nor invalidates what they’ve composed or written.

Hmmm....but then why did they suffer depression? If they are being held in esteem for their inspirational thoughts and sayings, why didn’t those thoughts, that outlook on life that people want to emulate, stop them from getting that depressed?

Because depression isn't about externalities. It's not a choice. It has nothing to do with success or esteem. It's a function of brain chemistry.

Sadness and depression aren't the same thing.

Why not quote them?

If you are doing it to make yourself feel better, or to help with your depression, it obviously isn't going to work. Certainly they are free to quote them, but why?

Depression isn't an emotion, it's a condition.

Quoting people who killed themselves won't help. Quoting Tony Robbins won't help either. Neither will trying to force yourself to think happy thoughts.

Whatever inspires someone, inspires them.

Kurt Cobain
Robin Williams

It makes no sense to me.

Understood, but why would you, especially if you are depressed, listen to quotes from people who’s depression causes them to kill themselves?
Because at the time a song, poem, or story was composed or written, the composer, artist, or writer wasn’t suffering from depression; what composers, artists, and writers create are unrelated to their depression, and that a composer, artist, or writer might have subsequently suffered from depression neither undermines nor invalidates what they’ve composed or written.

Because depression isn't about externalities. It's not a choice. It has nothing to do with success or esteem. It's a function of brain chemistry.

almost true

almost true

Would you care to elaborate? What do you think I've got wrong?

Forum List

Back