Zone1 White Culture holds back white people

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015

How Racism Hurts White People Too

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive.

Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC
Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC, Contributor

Imagine you work hard your whole life: at school, work and home. You win some and you lose some, and at times it feels like there’s more losing than winning. Life’s not easy, but you hang in there and follow most of the rules. Some people are less kind than others, and your interactions with teachers, coworkers, bosses, store clerks and bureaucrats can be challenging. Like most people you know, you do all right, but sometimes struggle to pay bills, find a decent place to live, put your kids in a decent school, and get your basic needs met. You see less deserving folks get rewards or perks you don’t. You worry about the future.

And then someone says you have “white privilege.”

I get it. I’m White. Growing up with three darker-skinned family members and mostly “minority” classmates, I hated racism. I thought it meant meanness and abuse directed towards people of color, particularly Blacks, and as a teen I vowed to do my part to stop it. I bristled at the suggestion that I contributed to racism or benefitted from so-called “privilege” just because I was White. What a load of crap! I was a conscientious, empathetic person with multicolored friends. I went out of my way to treat everyone with respect and dignity, even advocate for equality. I worked my butt off in challenging social and financial circumstances to achieve a great deal. To suggest I hadn’t earned it fairly was deeply insulting. To say I got unearned advantages sounded like a copout from lazy complainers.

Eventually, I learned that my well-intended understanding of racism was woefully superficial and incomplete. I learned that I was blind to much of what was going on around me, because I’m White. I also learned a dirty secret about racism: It hurts White people too.

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive – how to live in multiple worlds, speak multiple languages and quickly navigate complex realities. It coddles us by making us too fragile to fully hear, understand and receive what people of color are saying, much less take responsibility for our part. It makes us too fragile to talk with people or color in any way that doesn’t meet our standards of comfort and familiarity, much less tolerate being in groups where we are the racial minority.

Susan Rinderle is right.. I've seen some of this and what she says and she is absolutely correct.

This, especially American white culture does them more harm than anything they imagine coming from whatever perceived threats some whites have concocted.

Sadly there are black people help perpetuate this lifestyle of denial.

We do things like tell them nothing is their fault and that white racism is not a problem. That all the deficits we were born into were self inflicted..

“Racism skews our sense of reality. It damages our humanity. It makes us weak.”-Susan Rinderle

How Racism Hurts White People Too

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive.

Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC
Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC, Contributor

Imagine you work hard your whole life: at school, work and home. You win some and you lose some, and at times it feels like there’s more losing than winning. Life’s not easy, but you hang in there and follow most of the rules. Some people are less kind than others, and your interactions with teachers, coworkers, bosses, store clerks and bureaucrats can be challenging. Like most people you know, you do all right, but sometimes struggle to pay bills, find a decent place to live, put your kids in a decent school, and get your basic needs met. You see less deserving folks get rewards or perks you don’t. You worry about the future.

And then someone says you have “white privilege.”

I get it. I’m White. Growing up with three darker-skinned family members and mostly “minority” classmates, I hated racism. I thought it meant meanness and abuse directed towards people of color, particularly Blacks, and as a teen I vowed to do my part to stop it. I bristled at the suggestion that I contributed to racism or benefitted from so-called “privilege” just because I was White. What a load of crap! I was a conscientious, empathetic person with multicolored friends. I went out of my way to treat everyone with respect and dignity, even advocate for equality. I worked my butt off in challenging social and financial circumstances to achieve a great deal. To suggest I hadn’t earned it fairly was deeply insulting. To say I got unearned advantages sounded like a copout from lazy complainers.

Eventually, I learned that my well-intended understanding of racism was woefully superficial and incomplete. I learned that I was blind to much of what was going on around me, because I’m White. I also learned a dirty secret about racism: It hurts White people too.

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive – how to live in multiple worlds, speak multiple languages and quickly navigate complex realities. It coddles us by making us too fragile to fully hear, understand and receive what people of color are saying, much less take responsibility for our part. It makes us too fragile to talk with people or color in any way that doesn’t meet our standards of comfort and familiarity, much less tolerate being in groups where we are the racial minority.

Susan Rinderle is right.. I've seen some of this and what she says and she is absolutely correct.

This, especially American white culture does them more harm than anything they imagine coming from whatever perceived threats some whites have concocted.

Sadly there are black people help perpetuate this lifestyle of denial.

We do things like tell them nothing is their fault and that white racism is not a problem. That all the deficits we were born into were self inflicted..

“Racism skews our sense of reality. It damages our humanity. It makes us weak.”-Susan Rinderle
Then you should be much happier than you are...

White Culture holds back white people​

Which parts?
The finishing school, getting a job and not having kids
before you get married (the don't act black) parts?
Whites do all those things. There is a reason why whites commit far more suicides and have more alcohol and chemically dependent people than everybody else..

Example of #2

IM2 and other racist idjits such as himself always believe they're the ultimate, the ACME, the bestest of the best sufferers of all time. That's why they'll always be dog paddling around in the victim pool, instead of living a healthy successful life.

Others have tales of survival too. Lots of others of lots of colors.

I had to survive some knuckle dragging, snot faced, illiterate black thugs in high school.

Great ambassadors for the black race, indeed.
Example#3
Sorry Susana, I was too busy fighting to survive to learn what people of color must do to survive.

Oh wait! Maybe I do know. ;)

Example#4

I'm very happy.

Example #6..
LMAO... you are the most unhappy dissatisfied chip on the shoulder person I've ever seen on USMB....
I fight with libs here all the time over politics but in the music threads and when talking subjects other than politics we get along well and we can laugh... you are way too angry to ever do that... your life must be miserable...

LMAO... you are the most unhappy dissatisfied chip on the shoulder person I've ever seen on USMB....
I fight with libs here all the time over politics but in the music threads and when talking subjects other than politics we get along well and we can laugh... you are way too angry to ever do that... your life must be miserable...
You see, this is the problem yoou raciists have.. You think a black person has to be unhappy because they oppose your bs.. I would be unhappy if I was like Clarence Thomas.. Nothing makes me happier than busting racists like you. And that chip on my shoulder thing, LOL! I'm just not the black man to grin and smile with racists.. My life has been great, you are the one iin misery

You see, this is the problem yoou raciists have.. You think a black person has to be unhappy because they oppose your bs.. I would be unhappy if I was like Clarence Thomas.. Nothing makes me happier than busting racists lliike you.. And that chip on my shoulder thing, LOL! I'm just not the black man to grin and smile with racists.. My life has been great, you are the one iin misery
Dude know an angry person when I read one's words...

Paying my bills and raising my kids have held me back. I could have been someone with a bad ass whip and gold teeth but noooooo...... Damn my whiteness. I need reparations.

Whites do all those things. There is a reason why whites commit far more suicides and have more alcohol and chemically dependent people than everybody else..

Example of #2

Whites do all those things.

They do, but you people have perfected them.

They invented math.

Now they can't even pull their pants up, because "white culture".
1706061585516.png

White culture.

Paying my bills and raising my kids have held me back. I could have been someone with a bad ass whip and gold teeth but noooooo...... Damn my whiteness. I need reparations.
Blacks pay bills and raise kids. White racism is psychosis.

Dude know an angry person when I read one's words...

To be black and conscious in America is to be in a constant state of rage.-James A. Baldwin

You guys make stuff up to be mad about, so don't tell me about angry..

Forum List

Back