Students' taunts reduce bus aide to tears

Students were caught on camera terrorizing and harassing a school bus aide, reducing the 68-year-old woman to tears as she bravely withstood their verbal assault.

The ten-minute video was taken on a bus carrying Greece Middle School students and shows the kids saying vile things to Karen Klein, a bus driver who retired to become a bus aide because her hearing was failing.

"What's your address so I can come piss all over your door?" said one student.

Another said to Klein, "How about I bring my [swear word] knife and cut you?"

The 68-year-old grandmother of eight tried to get them stop, telling the students, "Unless you have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

To which one student responded, "How about you shut the [swear word] up?"

"Something about me being so fat and ugly your kids should probably commit suicide," recalled Klein. "I don't think they knew that my son had."

The school district has brought in police to investigate.

Students reduce bus aide to tears | WIVB.com

Appropriate punishment?

One can only hope that someone literally beats some sense into those little punks. After that they can be kicked out of school for good.

I used to be a community liaison for PAVE (parents are vital in education)

I remember a lot of bad IEPs, all on the fault the teachers, not the parents. Seriously a goal on one IEP stated that the child would successfully cross the street each day to have lunch with his mom with a 70% success rating. So, the kid could be hit by a truck 3 out of 7 days and the stupid school followed the IEP. What a joke!

Have some sympathy for the parents. It took me a long time to accept that my youngest would never be able to read and write, play games with our family, etc. It still brings me to tears thinking about it, and it's so nice that teachers are so sympathetic towards parents....NOT!!!

Some teachers are so good they should be cloned, others are so bad they should be shot!!!

so you think it is acceptable for parents to take it out on the teacher?

Condescending remarks, lies and bullying are alright because your child is not able to tead or write?

I find THAT unacceptable........

For the record, I don't put anything between the lines, I say what I mean, please stop trying to read between my lines.

How on earth did you get, "parents should take it out on the teacher" out of "teachers should have more compassion for the parents"?

Or is it that you accept that you are a really, really bad teacher and object to being shot?

more compassion for the parents?

Why? Because it's the teacher's fault? What do you want them to do exactly, cure your child? Tell you everything will be alright? Exactly what? You are the one having problems with acceptance.

You stated as much yourself.

the special ed teachers are some of the few people that are willing to work with children. Sounds like you have taken your problems out on the teachers.

BTW, teachers have a life outside of the classroom too which includes children, elder parents etc.

Where is YOUR compassion?

PS any time you think you can do a better job of teaching and think it's so easy then you should be doing it.

Sounds like you are a really, really bad parent and object to being shot.

Last edited:
Granny says he oughts to make the kid apologize...
:eusa_eh:
Father apologizes to bullied bus monitor
June 21, 2012 -- The father of a boy who taunted a New York bus monitor has apologized for the incident on his son's behalf.
In an interview with Inside Edition Thursday, Robert Helm, whose son, Wesley, was part a group of young boys who were caught on video bullying bus monitor Karen Klein, said he was sorry for the incident. "I would say I'm sorry. This is not the way I raised my kids. I never would in my wildest dreams think they were capable of this," Helm said. Helm also said he plans to get professional help for his son. "It's not just going to stop at you're grounded, you don't get to watch TV. This is much bigger than that. We need to get professional help to get to the bottom of the issue of the bullying, of what caused him to treat anybody this way," Helm said.

The 10-minute video of the incident shows Klein on the receiving end of profane jeers by students on a Greece Athena Middle School bus Monday, The (Rochester) Democrat and Chronicle reported Thursday. "I was trying to just ignore them, hoping they would go away and it doesn't work," Klein said of the incident. "Trust me, they didn't go away. "The kids weren't always that bad."

Klein said she never felt threatened by the students and had not planned to bring the incident up to school officials until the video -- captured by a student on the bus -- went viral on YouTube and Facebook. "This behavior is inexcusable and a clear violation of our code of conduct," said Greece Central School District Assistant Superintendent Deborah Hoeft.

Max Sidorov, 25, of Toronto set up the online fundraiser Wednesday to help send Klein on a vacation, raising more than $118,000 in one day. "It is just huge," he said. "I thought it would get a few thousand dollars, maybe. But maybe she could retire on this."

Source

Those little scumbags do NOT deserve to be educated on the people's dime. Their parents should be forced to pay for private schooling or home school the little shits themselves.

so you think it is acceptable for parents to take it out on the teacher?

Condescending remarks, lies and bullying are alright because your child is not able to tead or write?

I find THAT unacceptable........

For the record, I don't put anything between the lines, I say what I mean, please stop trying to read between my lines.

How on earth did you get, "parents should take it out on the teacher" out of "teachers should have more compassion for the parents"?

Or is it that you accept that you are a really, really bad teacher and object to being shot?

Why? Because it's the teacher's fault? What do you want them to do exactly, cure your child? Tell you everything will be alright? Exactly what? You are the one having problems with acceptance.

the special ed teachers are some of the few people that are willing to work with children. Sounds like you have taken your problems out on the teachers.

BTW, teachers have a life outside of the classroom too which includes children, elder parents etc.

PS any time you think you can do a better job of teaching and think it's so easy then you should be doing it.

I've seen the best and the worst of teachers. I've seen one teacher who said my son didn't belong in Kindergarten, while he was in class and in front of him. He came home crying. I've seen a teacher drag a student out of the classroom bodily, lock the door then look at me and tell me that the student got her behavior from my son. I am happy to say that teacher is no longer teaching.

I've also seen a teacher go out of her way to help me with my youngest son. Giving me her home phone number and telling me to give the number to my parents who were going to take care of my kids for 4 days while my husband and I were leaving town. She said we needed a break and if my parents had a problem, SHE would handle it.

My niece is a special needs teacher, I like to think I encouraged her to become one. Today, she and her husband have helped to start an organization to help black men ages 15-18 over the summer in Oakland, it's called "The Genius Program". I have a cousin who teaches, I had a cousin much older than me that taught in a one room schoolhouse. Two of her students grew up to be US Congressmen.

And as for me objecting to being shot, with two special needs kids, trust me, there have been times when I wish I was. Thank you for your compassion. (or obvious lack thereof) You were wrong when you spoke to that mother and you're wrong about me. If you want more time for you own life, quit teaching there are other jobs that pay more.

While my kids were in school, the good teachers got gifts every year. Yeah, I know they have a life outside of school so my gifts were always homemade lasagna and french bread and salad. All they had to do was heat up the lasagna for a delicious meal they didn't have to cook.

And I know so well that they have a life outside of the class that I would often call one of my son's teachers at 5pm at night, still in the classroom and tell her to "go home".

She was the complete opposite of the teachers who when the bell rang, were in their cars and on their way home before the buses were even loaded. I'm thinking you fall into the second category.

the reason the average career of a special ed teacher is three years is parents like you that have an entitlement complex.......

I've seen the best and the worst of teachers. I've seen one teacher who said my son didn't belong in Kindergarten, while he was in class and in front of him. He came home crying. I've seen a teacher drag a student out of the classroom bodily, lock the door then look at me and tell me that the student got her behavior from my son. I am happy to say that teacher is no longer teaching.

I've also seen a teacher go out of her way to help me with my youngest son. Giving me her home phone number and telling me to give the number to my parents who were going to take care of my kids for 4 days while my husband and I were leaving town. She said we needed a break and if my parents had a problem, SHE would handle it.

My niece is a special needs teacher, I like to think I encouraged her to become one. Today, she and her husband have helped to start an organization to help black men ages 15-18 over the summer in Oakland, it's called "The Genius Program". I have a cousin who teaches, I had a cousin much older than me that taught in a one room schoolhouse. Two of her students grew up to be US Congressmen.

And as for me objecting to being shot, with two special needs kids, trust me, there have been times when I wish I was. Thank you for your compassion. (or obvious lack thereof) You were wrong when you spoke to that mother and you're wrong about me. If you want more time for you own life, quit teaching there are other jobs that pay more.

While my kids were in school, the good teachers got gifts every year. Yeah, I know they have a life outside of school so my gifts were always homemade lasagna and french bread and salad. All they had to do was heat up the lasagna for a delicious meal they didn't have to cook.

And I know so well that they have a life outside of the class that I would often call one of my son's teachers at 5pm at night, still in the classroom and tell her to "go home".

She was the complete opposite of the teachers who when the bell rang, were in their cars and on their way home before the buses were even loaded. I'm thinking you fall into the second category.

umm..

that mother I spoke of was also nasty to the other teachers of her child.

In addition I received tokens of appreciation from and have a good relationship with most of the other parents. They understand that their child has cognitive deficits and I'm just doing the best I can teaching 6 subjects without a curriculum.

The two parents in question believe that they are entitled to expect teachers to be perfect, follow orders and that their child/children are the only students worthy of consideration including having teachers spend long hours before and after school.

I believe you are in the latter category.

BTW, I work before and after hours every school day. So I believe you owe me an apology.

Ps it's not working free over-time I object to, it's being required to spend my free time ( yes mine) working. I only have so many ticks left on the clock. Why should that time be spent serving you? Seems that you think you own teachers

"If you want more time for you own life, quit teaching there are other jobs that pay more."

disgusting ^

seems you arein the habit of ordering teachers around and giving permission to leave for the day.

yowza massa

Last edited:
So the kids and their equally responsible parents are finally receiving the consequences of their behavior. Do you think these threats have reduced them to tears perhaps? I hope so. Death threats? Didn't these kids threaten Mrs. Klein's life by stabbing her with a knife.

It is an ideal time for the parents of these guilty children to sit them down and say "look at what you did".

the reason the average career of a special ed teacher is three years is parents like you that have an entitlement complex.......

umm..

that mother I spoke of was also nasty to the other teachers of her child.

In addition I received tokens of appreciation from and have a good relationship with most of the other parents. They understand that their child has cognitive deficits and I'm just doing the best I can teaching 6 subjects without a curriculum.

The two parents in question believe that they are entitled to expect teachers to be perfect, follow orders and that their child/children are the only students worthy of consideration including having teachers spend long hours before and after school.

I believe you are in the latter category.

BTW, I work before and after hours every school day. So I believe you owe me an apology.

Ps it's not working free over-time I object to, it's being required to spend my free time ( yes mine) working. I only have so many ticks left on the clock. Why should that time be spent serving you? Seems that you think you own teachers

"If you want more time for you own life, quit teaching there are other jobs that pay more."

disgusting ^

seems you arein the habit of ordering teachers around and giving permission to leave for the day.

yowza massa

Yeah, how sad, that I told one of the best teacher's in the world who started her day at 7:30 in the morning to go home at 5pm at night, heartless of me, I know.

All I said in the beginning was that you should have shown that mother some compassion. She was having trouble adjusting to the fact that her daughter would never attend college, would never be normal. That's not an easy adjustment. You attack her for wanting the best for her child yet I'll bet you support all the other parents that want the best for their children, as long as their children are normal. If I owe you an apology, please take it and give it to that mother, because, you surely owe her one.

You do know the difference between "tokens of appreciation" and a meal made with your own hands and love, don't you? Heck, I could have given out tokens, but I wanted to give those teachers more. Especially the teacher that called me and told me my son had drawn a stick figure on the board and written his name under it and the entire class cheered.

I think that if you continue to teach, you should give up being a special needs teaching, you do not seem to have the compassion or understanding for it. You read my post and not once did you mention all I've done for the good teachers, how I feel about having special needs kids. I tell you sometimes I wish I were shot and you ignore it. There isn't a compassionate bone in your body and I seriously doubt you should be teaching at all. Teaching is a talent, if you don't have it, you should get out of the business.

BTW, I've thought about being a teacher and I do teach, or I used to, just not in public schools. I taught ESL to Japanese students. Not the same I know, but I loved every one of them and enjoyed every minute I spent with them. And I never had to have a parent/teacher conference but even if I did, I wouldn't have told the parent who wanted his/her kid to learn to speak English fluently that that would never happen. That the child should forget about college or learning and concentrate on getting a job at McDonald's.

And you're gonna love this, my youngest is almost 25, still wearing diapers and I have still not given up on him learning to read. I must be one really bad parent.

So the kids and their equally responsible parents are finally receiving the consequences of their behavior. Do you think these threats have reduced them to tears perhaps? I hope so. Death threats? Didn't these kids threaten Mrs. Klein's life by stabbing her with a knife.

It is an ideal time for the parents of these guilty children to sit them down and say "look at what you did".

Yes it is, but I still don't agree with the death threats.

If these students didn't want to get death threats, they should not have given them.

If these students didn't want to get death threats, they should not have given them.

Regardless they should not have given them, that doesn't excuse the "adults" who are now threatening them. Just as the kids were wrong the adults are wrong. Like I said, if it was my kid, he would be punished in a way that he would never forget. He'd be mowing that woman's lawn and weeding her garden EVERY WEEK for the summer. He'd be doing community service at the local nursing home and THEN, I'd let his grandparents have at him, trust me, he'd never do anything like that again.

This probably happens more often but we know about this one. At least these parents were embarrassed. I know my kids wouldnt do that but i bet those parents thought the same thing.

This probably happens more often but we know about this one. At least these parents were embarrassed. I know my kids wouldnt do that but i bet those parents thought the same thing.

Glad it's on film, I knew a parent that wouldn't believe anything I told her about her son, she'd just have him swear on the Bible he didn't do it and that solved it for her. As far as I'm concerned all she taught him is that lying is okay and the Bible is worthless. Some Christian, huh?

I finally yelled at her at told her to be at the bus stop when her kid got home so that she could keep him from beating up on the little kids and throwing rocks at the empty house. If she didn't believe me fine, at least then the actions would stop, and they did.

Regardless they should not have given them, that doesn't excuse the "adults" who are now threatening them. Just as the kids were wrong the adults are wrong. Like I said, if it was my kid, he would be punished in a way that he would never forget. He'd be mowing that woman's lawn and weeding her garden EVERY WEEK for the summer. He'd be doing community service at the local nursing home and THEN, I'd let his grandparents have at him, trust me, he'd never do anything like that again.

So you would, might.

These parents are being punished because they wouldn't dream of sending their little darlings out to actually do something.

So you would, might.

These parents are being punished because they wouldn't dream of sending their little darlings out to actually do something.

Other than the one I posted, I haven't yet seen any reports of actions the parents may or may not be taking to discipline their children as a result of this.

True, and the children made the threats face to face. I haven't seen anything that indicates that these children have been physically confronted. Still doesn't excuse the counter threats though.

I think you can all stop feeling bad now. Klein just walked away with $600K in donations.

Not bad for 10-minutes work.

It's hard to argue that point. I'm sure her life will be a lot more comfortable, even after Uncle Sam takes a big chunk.

Personally, I'd have preferred to see the kids have to make some form of restitution. As it is, the actual principle at stake will be overlooked.

Misses the point, IMO, but I appreciate that a lot of people will share your view that we can forget about it because she walked away with a payday.

True, and the children made the threats face to face. I haven't seen anything that indicates that these children have been physically confronted. Still doesn't excuse the counter threats though.

I agree that the people firing death threats at these kids aren't excused/excusable. . . that said, ask me if I feel bad for those little shits.

Forum List

Back