Students' taunts reduce bus aide to tears

And people wonder why teachers become irate when the lack of learning is heaped in their laps?

Part of the problem is the kids know nothing can or will be done to them.

Anyone seriously considering going into teaching should be forced to have a full psychiatric evaluation. If the results show sanity exists, they should be directed to a new profession as soon as possible.

I have had more than one parent go ballistic on me because their mentally retarded child did not show significant progress during the one year period of the IEP.

example from IEP meeting for Down girl

MOM: it says here my daughter wants to be a cook after she graduates. I don'twant her put into a box and have teachers teach to that.

Job coach: those are your child's words

mom: ( crying hysterically) I don't want that on her IEP

Job coach: what should be there? (after a 5 minute crying fit by the mom)

MOM: I want her to go to college.

This child is in the 9th grade and 16+ YO with a reading level of 2nd grade and a math level of 1st grade after 10+ years of schooling.

Mom is pissed at me ( the child's math, science, history, reading, English and community intruction teacher) b/c of lack of progress this past year after making minimal progress the prior 10 years. :whip:

Another mom thinks I should be fired because some kids are allegedly "bullying" her son on facebook during after school hours. I don't have a facebook account BTW :whip:

I used to be a community liaison for PAVE (parents are vital in education)

I remember a lot of bad IEPs, all on the fault the teachers, not the parents. Seriously a goal on one IEP stated that the child would successfully cross the street each day to have lunch with his mom with a 70% success rating. So, the kid could be hit by a truck 3 out of 7 days and the stupid school followed the IEP. What a joke!

Have some sympathy for the parents. It took me a long time to accept that my youngest would never be able to read and write, play games with our family, etc. It still brings me to tears thinking about it, and it's so nice that teachers are so sympathetic towards parents....NOT!!!

Some teachers are so good they should be cloned, others are so bad they should be shot!!!

The kids are now apparently getting threats themselves. Can't say I'm surprised but at the same time I don't condone it.

On the other hand, this was nice to see.

Early Thursday evening one of the boys' fathers came to apologize and assure her his son would be punished. The father, Robert Helm, said, "There's not excuse. And we're going to get to the bottom of that, but it really broke my heart and I shed a lot of tears thinking about that whole thing and I just want you to know that my family, all of us, are deeply saddened by this whole thing and we're going to get it right."

Karen Klein's school bus bullies receive death threats - CBS News

Hear! Hear! for that parent.

I continue to think it's all (or mostly) about vigilant parenting.

2 weeks into the start of the 4th marking period this year (about May 7), I discovered my 6th grader had a GPA of 1.15. I looked into it and it turned out he hadn't been handing in assignments.

He was grounded, had no TV, no friends over and no xbox until, 6 weeks later, he ended the marking period with a 2.92 GPA. It's still below what I know he's capable of, but if you let them know they won't get away with it then I find they tend to get their shit together.

By the last week of school he was coming home in the afternoon and the very first thing he wanted to do was look at his GPA on the school's grading portal - he was actually excited to see that his effort was being rewarded by a higher GPA, which I thought was pretty cool.

I continue to think it's all (or mostly) about vigilant parenting.

2 weeks into the start of the 4th marking period this year (about May 7), I discovered my 6th grader had a GPA of 1.15. I looked into it and it turned out he hadn't been handing in assignments.

He was grounded, had no TV, no friends over and no xbox until, 6 weeks later, he ended the marking period with a 2.92 GPA. It's still below what I know he's capable of, but if you let them know they won't get away with it then I find they tend to get their shit together.

By the last week of school he was coming home in the afternoon and the very first thing he wanted to do was look at his GPA on the school's grading portal - he was actually excited to see that his effort was being rewarded by a higher GPA, which I thought was pretty cool.

My oldest has a form of autism. I get a call from his 3rd grade teacher that he hasn't been handing in his homework 70% of the time. I asked the teacher if he asked David for his homework as I checked his backpack everyday, made sure he did his homework, and put it back in the backpack to take back to school. The teacher said "NO, I don't ask any of the kids to pass in their homework, they're just suppose to automatically put it in the box in front of the class". I asked if the rest of the kids handed in their homework 100% of the time, the answer of course, was "No!". I asked, don't you think more of them would hand in their homework if you asked for it. He said that was the students responsibility, not his. I pointed out these were 3rd graders, not adults and should not be expected to have the same responsibilities as adults. He disagreed. Needless to say, in my son's next IEP, checking his backpack for his completed homework became the teachers job, which he wouldn't have needed, if he could spare 10 seconds to ask the entire class to hand in their homework.

Never had any kids, but I did help raise a brother 10 years younger than I am. If it were he that had fired off shit like that at that poor old woman (not that he would. Kid was one of the most respectful young people I've ever, ever encountered) I'd have lumped his ass up like it was a bar fight. Bring back corporal punishment.

Fortunately Karen Klein will be able to retire and not have to deal with these shitheads any more. I'd call each one and thank them personally for being shitheads.

In an interview, Ms. Klein said she didn't say anything, nor file a complaint because she knew others that had done that and they got fired. She needed that little job. Well, now she doesn't need that little job anymore. I'd sue the school district and the parents.

Many people criticize the discipline in Catholic schools but I can assure them this kind of behavior would never take place on a Catholic school bus.

No way.

Many people criticize the discipline in Catholic schools but I can assure them this kind of behavior would never take place on a Catholic school bus.

No way.

Watched a play called "Late Nite Catechism" The nun asked the audience who'd attended catholic school if they did anything wrong in class and what happened to them. They all pretty much said the nuns slapped them with a ruler. Then the actress said "Did you go home and tell your parents?" "no" "why not" "because then you'd get it again!!!"

I didn't go to Catholic school but I will say that if my teacher disciplined me, there was no way I'd go home and tell my parents because, yeah "then, I'd get it again!"

No way.

Watched a play called "Late Nite Catechism" The nun asked the audience who'd attended catholic school if they did anything wrong in class and what happened to them. They all pretty much said the nuns slapped them with a ruler. Then the actress said "Did you go home and tell your parents?" "no" "why not" "because then you'd get it again!!!"

I didn't go to Catholic school but I will say that if my teacher disciplined me, there was no way I'd go home and tell my parents because, yeah "then, I'd get it again!"

We were caned at boarding school in England.

No way.

Did it stop kids from being idiots? We got smacked with rulers and spanked in Catholic school and we still acted like fucktards on occasion.

Did it stop kids from being idiots? We got smacked with rulers and spanked in Catholic school and we still acted like fucktards on occasion.

No, it didn't. I don't ever recall anyone acting like that though. Would probably have been considered grounds for expulsion. Of course, that was 30 years ago.

Of course, caning wasn't actually that bad. Over in 10 seconds, hurt for about 15 minutes and you had zebra stripes on your arse for about 4 days, but it was less annoying than detention. However, there was something about it that really reinforced that you had severely fucked up.

And people wonder why teachers become irate when the lack of learning is heaped in their laps?

Part of the problem is the kids know nothing can or will be done to them.

Anyone seriously considering going into teaching should be forced to have a full psychiatric evaluation. If the results show sanity exists, they should be directed to a new profession as soon as possible.

I have had more than one parent go ballistic on me because their mentally retarded child did not show significant progress during the one year period of the IEP.

MOM: it says here my daughter wants to be a cook after she graduates. I don'twant her put into a box and have teachers teach to that.

This child is in the 9th grade and 16+ YO with a reading level of 2nd grade and a math level of 1st grade after 10+ years of schooling.

Mom is pissed at me ( the child's math, science, history, reading, English and community intruction teacher) b/c of lack of progress this past year after making minimal progress the prior 10 years. :whip:

Another mom thinks I should be fired because some kids are allegedly "bullying" her son on facebook during after school hours. I don't have a facebook account BTW :whip:

I remember a lot of bad IEPs, all on the fault the teachers, not the parents. Seriously a goal on one IEP stated that the child would successfully cross the street each day to have lunch with his mom with a 70% success rating. So, the kid could be hit by a truck 3 out of 7 days and the stupid school followed the IEP. What a joke!

Have some sympathy for the parents. It took me a long time to accept that my youngest would never be able to read and write, play games with our family, etc. It still brings me to tears thinking about it, and it's so nice that teachers are so sympathetic towards parents....NOT!!!

Some teachers are so good they should be cloned, others are so bad they should be shot!!!

so you think it is acceptable for parents to take it out on the teacher?

Condescending remarks, lies and bullying are alright because your child is not able to tead or write?

I find THAT unacceptable........

so you think it is acceptable for parents to take it out on the teacher?

Condescending remarks, lies and bullying are alright because your child is not able to tead or write?

I find THAT unacceptable........

For the record, I don't put anything between the lines, I say what I mean, please stop trying to read between my lines.

How on earth did you get, "parents should take it out on the teacher" out of "teachers should have more compassion for the parents"?

Or is it that you accept that you are a really, really bad teacher and object to being shot?

The kids are now apparently getting threats themselves. Can't say I'm surprised but at the same time I don't condone it.

On the other hand, this was nice to see.

Early Thursday evening one of the boys' fathers came to apologize and assure her his son would be punished. The father, Robert Helm, said, "There's not excuse. And we're going to get to the bottom of that, but it really broke my heart and I shed a lot of tears thinking about that whole thing and I just want you to know that my family, all of us, are deeply saddened by this whole thing and we're going to get it right."

Karen Klein's school bus bullies receive death threats - CBS News

Seems like a pretty decent thing to do.

And it is NOT right for anyone to threaten these heinous hooligans. It justifies and reinforces their behavior.

On the flip side, I understand there's a website accepting donations for Klein. The amount collected so far is astounding. She should be able to comfortably retire on what has been collected on her behalf.

Students were caught on camera terrorizing and harassing a school bus aide, reducing the 68-year-old woman to tears as she bravely withstood their verbal assault.

The ten-minute video was taken on a bus carrying Greece Middle School students and shows the kids saying vile things to Karen Klein, a bus driver who retired to become a bus aide because her hearing was failing.

"What's your address so I can come piss all over your door?" said one student.

Another said to Klein, "How about I bring my [swear word] knife and cut you?"

The 68-year-old grandmother of eight tried to get them stop, telling the students, "Unless you have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

To which one student responded, "How about you shut the [swear word] up?"

"Something about me being so fat and ugly your kids should probably commit suicide," recalled Klein. "I don't think they knew that my son had."

The school district has brought in police to investigate.

Students reduce bus aide to tears | WIVB.com

Appropriate punishment?

I am all for them no longer having the privileged of riding the school bus.

It used to be if you got in any trouble on the bus, other than the "come and sit up front" type, you were off for the school year and had to make other arrangements for transportation.

What this story fails to mention and conveniently omits is that Klein is the one who started it.

Moreover, if she's deaf how did she hear anything?

Any decent attorney could drive a bus through the holes in this story.

Could the "decent attorney" prove that it did not happen? That's really the point. It DID happen.

This is what happens when teachers can't smack a fucking brat upside the head.

There is never a reason or excuse to hit or beat a child and I can guarantee it would have the opposite effect. Its disheartening to read so many (all rw's???) think beating up kids solves anything at all. And, why do so many of you say you don't like kids, even your own?

This child is in the 9th grade and 16+ YO with a reading level of 2nd grade and a math level of 1st grade after 10+ years of math, science, history, reading, English and community intruction teacher) b/c of lack of progress this past year after making minimal progress the prior 10 years.

Get used to it. If the pubs get enough power, that will get a lot worse in the very near future.

He also had a plane, I always suppected that he might just throw me out to see if I could fly.

I hope you're kidding because kids really do need to trust their own parents. Believe me, I know.

That's it. I can't read any more of this.

Of course, caning wasn't actually that bad. Over in 10 seconds, hurt for about 15 minutes and you had zebra stripes on your arse for about 4 days, but it was less annoying than detention. However, there was something about it that really reinforced that you had severely fucked up.

The "something" was immediacy.

Punishment, like any behaviorial modification technique works very well, but ONLY if it immediately follows the undesired behaviour.

Rewards work the same way to reinforce desired behavior.

Teaching, however, has become such a quagmire of documentation, that no behavior can be immediately punished. And the value of a reward is always relative to whomever is receiving it: Few teachers can afford to hand out gold coins, and our spoiled brats are insulted by anything else.

Forum List

Back