Students' taunts reduce bus aide to tears

Indeed.

I was the team leader for a dozen 8th grade teachers in a Title I middle school that had a 99% minority population, and even I wore a costume to school consisting of an entirely black wardrobe of shoes, socks, ties, shirts, and pants. Also, instead of the pussy little ID badge holder I was issued, I attached my ID to a heavy gague black chain and wore it around my neck. Much more fragile first year teachers on the team would actually leave their classrooms in TEARS because of taunting, and I'd take over for them because I could leave my classroom filled with students who were very well behaved. Why?

NOT because I was only physically intimidating, but also because I had a very rigorous and consistant policy toward discipline. I would create enough documentation on anyone to put them one step away from being suspended BEFORE Christmas.

One of my brothers teaches middle school. He's survived 27 years so far. He's got some very creative, and pretty funny, methods of dealing with the peculiarities inherent in that population. Me, I'd have trouble not killing the parents who complained I was being "mean" to their little fuck-trophies.

Yes I imagine 27 years of teaching MS would be interesting.

My method was to bury everyone with so much fucking documentation that my subjectivity was never questioned.

Bureaucracy can be your friend.

:eusa_eh:

I believe that may be the Army Motto.

I think one thing my brother strictly enforces is a dress code. Any sweet young thing, male or female, that persists in showing up in less-than-decent attire is first warned. Subsequent violations result in my brother filing harassment charges. It's apparently amazing how quickly the school enforces dress codes when one, or more, teachers consider provocative attire "harassing".

WTF is wrong with these kids.? I let my son and daughter (17 & 13 ) see this and they were appalled, my son actually was clenching his fists while watching this video. I guess this i s what happens with parents that just dont give a damn. Back in the day, when I rode a bus, you would be expelled, and also paddeled.

AshNewWithHoles.jpg

One of my brothers teaches middle school. He's survived 27 years so far. He's got some very creative, and pretty funny, methods of dealing with the peculiarities inherent in that population. Me, I'd have trouble not killing the parents who complained I was being "mean" to their little fuck-trophies.

My method was to bury everyone with so much fucking documentation that my subjectivity was never questioned.

I think one thing my brother strictly enforces is a dress code. Any sweet young thing, male or female, that persists in showing up in less-than-decent attire is first warned. Subsequent violations result in my brother filing harassment charges. It's apparently amazing how quickly the school enforces dress codes when one, or more, teachers consider provocative attire "harassing".

A great example of using the system for one's own benefit.
:clap2:

Oddly, younger teachers don't get this. They would argue that this is an attempt to "game" the system.

Idealists have no place in a tough public school.

A great example of using the system for one's own benefit.
:clap2:

Oddly, younger teachers don't get this. They would argue that this is an attempt to "game" the system.

Idealists have no place in a tough public school.

Younger teachers are more thoroughly indoctrinated than the older ones. They also have not had to deal with the ongoing "evolution" of school children.
The best thing about teaching University level is, most of my students have paid good money to LEARN something and they expect product. Most of my students have told me that I "own" the classes I teach. I assume that's a good thing. They've told me that they remember more of what I teach longer and that I teach the subjects so that they can understand the material...i.e. I use layman's terms to explain technical material. I still require they express their homework and lab projects using proper terminology, but the way I explain is easier to understand.

Most people today think it improper to discipline children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have had one of 'those moments.'

Since I'm a pilot, one that I have found very effective is for me to just take the child for a flight during which I say nothing and give the child the opportunity to reflect on his or her behavior.

I don't know whether it's the steady vibration from the engines, or just the time away from any distractions such as TV, video games, computer, iPod, etc.

Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our flight together. I believe that eye to eye contact during these sessions is an important element in achieving the desired results.

I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique...

Should work with grand-kids also.

Attachments

• $pilot solution.jpg
    $pilot solution.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 60
Most people today think it improper to discipline children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have had one of 'those moments.'

Since I'm a pilot, one that I have found very effective is for me to just take the child for a flight during which I say nothing and give the child the opportunity to reflect on his or her behavior.

I don't know whether it's the steady vibration from the engines, or just the time away from any distractions such as TV, video games, computer, iPod, etc.

Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our flight together. I believe that eye to eye contact during these sessions is an important element in achieving the desired results.

I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique...

That should work.

And people wonder why teachers become irate when the lack of learning is heaped in their laps?

Part of the problem is the kids know nothing can or will be done to them.

Anyone seriously considering going into teaching should be forced to have a full psychiatric evaluation. If the results show sanity exists, they should be directed to a new profession as soon as possible.

I have had more than one parent go ballistic on me because their mentally retarded child did not show significant progress during the one year period of the IEP.

example from IEP meeting for Down girl

MOM: it says here my daughter wants to be a cook after she graduates. I don'twant her put into a box and have teachers teach to that.

Job coach: those are your child's words

mom: ( crying hysterically) I don't want that on her IEP

Job coach: what should be there? (after a 5 minute crying fit by the mom)

MOM: I want her to go to college.

This child is in the 9th grade and 16+ YO with a reading level of 2nd grade and a math level of 1st grade after 10+ years of schooling.

Mom is pissed at me ( the child's math, science, history, reading, English and community intruction teacher) b/c of lack of progress this past year after making minimal progress the prior 10 years. :whip:

Another mom thinks I should be fired because some kids are allegedly "bullying" her son on facebook during after school hours. I don't have a facebook account BTW :whip:

Last edited:
is her money at a million yet?

those kids sound much like many of the posters on the right at this site.

And people wonder why teachers become irate when the lack of learning is heaped in their laps?

Part of the problem is the kids know nothing can or will be done to them.

Anyone seriously considering going into teaching should be forced to have a full psychiatric evaluation. If the results show sanity exists, they should be directed to a new profession as soon as possible.

I have had more than one parent go ballistic on me because their mentally retarded child did not show significant progress during the one year period of the IEP.

example from IEP meeting for Down girl

MOM: it says here my daughter wants to be a cook after she graduates. I don'twant her put into a box and have teachers teach to that.

Job coach: those are your child's words

mom: ( crying hysterically) I don't want that on her IEP

Job coach: what should be there? (after a 5 minute crying fit by the mom)

MOM: I want her to go to college.

This child is in the 9th grade and 16+ YO with a reading level of 2nd grade and a math level of 1st grade after 10+ years of schooling.

Mom is pissed at me ( the child's math, science, history, reading, English and community intruction teacher) b/c of lack of progress this past year after making minimal progress the prior 10 years. :whip:

Another mom thinks I should be fired because some kids are allegedly "bullying" her son on facebook during after school hours. I don't have a facebook account BTW :whip:

That's one of the fallacies inherent in the liberal mantra that all outcomes should be equal. We are NOT equal. But most people have bought onto the myth that the only way to earn a good living is to get a degree.

My middle school teacher brother also has no Facebook account. That seems a wise decision.

Kids will be kids. these are every body's kids. especially is some have parents like some on this site is not suprising. kids reflect who their parent are.

Kids will be kids. these are every body's kids. especially is some have parents like some on this site is not suprising. kids reflect who their parent are.

Saying that a group of teens belittling her, abusing her and threatening to "cut" her is just "kids being kids" is a staggering indictment of how low society's expectations of "kids" have sunk.

How would you feel if that were your mother? How would she feel? Oh, hang on, since you reflect who your mother is then I guess she'd be OK with it, wouldn't she? OK then, carry on.

Good job these aren't immigrant kids, huh?

Put the parents pictures on the news. These kids heard this at home and we all know it. My did would have inflicted major damage on my back side not to mention the grounding. Let these uprightr parents provide their own transportation. This woman has CLASS something the students on the bus have clearly never been exposed to.

If my dad were alive he would come over and shake your hand. He also had a plane, I always suppected that he might just throw me out to see if I could fly.

The kids are now apparently getting threats themselves. Can't say I'm surprised but at the same time I don't condone it.

On the other hand, this was nice to see.

Early Thursday evening one of the boys' fathers came to apologize and assure her his son would be punished. The father, Robert Helm, said, "There's not excuse. And we're going to get to the bottom of that, but it really broke my heart and I shed a lot of tears thinking about that whole thing and I just want you to know that my family, all of us, are deeply saddened by this whole thing and we're going to get it right."

Karen Klein's school bus bullies receive death threats - CBS News

I only skipped around the video so maybe I missed it but it didn't seem like there was much interaction between the woman and the kids. Hard to tell if they are addressing her, talking behind her back, or trash talking each other. And why did she not call the driver to pull over?

But hey, for $500,000 I'll ride a bus with a bunch of middle-schoolers and let them say whatever they please about me.

My parents would have absolutely killed me if I had of behaved like the kids did on this bus. It is the kind of disrespect that they simply would not tolerate.

So the news so far is that she is up to almost a half million dollars in paypal donations.

Obama should call a beer summit or something....

Forum List

Back