Stop telling Teachers to Confiscate Kids' Cell Phones/Electronics. It is a dangerous and ineffective practice

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
Obviously, a student will learn more if they are not on their phone. Phones will hinder a child's education much more so than being out of dress code for example. But it has led to violence, and someday may lead to a shooting.

I would get mad if someone took my cell phone from me and I'm a 61 year old man who never had a cell phone until I was nearly fifty. Imagine the reaction of a 14 year old who has been addicted emotionally to having their phone since age 9.

In my school, the principal has strongly emphasized that student keep cell phones turned off and in their backpacks after the first bell rings, even if they are still eating breakfast. Teachers are to take away any phone they spot in student's hand, pocket or anywhere besides backpack (we don't use lockers). At our meetings prior to the school year started, when this came up, some teachers said, "it needs to be all of us doing it," because they don't want to be perceived as the mean ones.

Confiscated cell phones are held in the office for parents to pick up, which for some kids is no problem, but for some kids it can be a huge problem. So the consequences are not equal for all students.

A much better strategy is to tell the child to put the phone in their backpack, which brings them into compliance. It is rare for a student to not comply with that request. But telling the student to hand over the phone meets resistance the majority of the time.

If a student refuses to put the phone in the backpack, write a discipline slip and send him or her to the office. If the student refuses to go, send the slip with another student and a note that the student refused to leave. Then the admins can decide what to do from there, including getting assistance from the school resource officer.

If they are on their phone just send them to the office put them down as absent after a couple of warnings (depending on their age)

Stop raising little shit kids who think they are entitled to special rules would go a long way.

I am ok with kids having phones in their backpacks on silent. However if it goes off in class or the little crotch goblin pulls it out in class then it should be taken from them and have a parent come to the school to get it back.

Stop raising little shit kids who think they are entitled to special rules would go a long way.

I am ok with kids having phones in their backpacks on silent. However if it goes off in class or the little crotch goblin pulls it out in class then it should be taken from them and have a parent come to the school to get it back.
Yeah but these cells are far more personal to the younger generation. Everything from their social media to pictures. Every generarion is out of control in their youth, it is only going to become worse in the Atheist world where.violence is accepted by adults.

Last edited:
Obviously, a student will learn more if they are not on their phone. Phones will hinder a child's education much more so than being out of dress code for example. But it has led to violence, and someday may lead to a shooting.

I would get mad if someone took my cell phone from me and I'm a 61 year old man who never had a cell phone until I was nearly fifty. Imagine the reaction of a 14 year old who has been addicted emotionally to having their phone since age 9.

In my school, the principal has strongly emphasized that student keep cell phones turned off and in their backpacks after the first bell rings, even if they are still eating breakfast. Teachers are to take away any phone they spot in student's hand, pocket or anywhere besides backpack (we don't use lockers). At our meetings prior to the school year started, when this came up, some teachers said, "it needs to be all of us doing it," because they don't want to be perceived as the mean ones.

Confiscated cell phones are held in the office for parents to pick up, which for some kids is no problem, but for some kids it can be a huge problem. So the consequences are not equal for all students.

A much better strategy is to tell the child to put the phone in their backpack, which brings them into compliance. It is rare for a student to not comply with that request. But telling the student to hand over the phone meets resistance the majority of the time.

If a student refuses to put the phone in the backpack, write a discipline slip and send him or her to the office. If the student refuses to go, send the slip with another student and a note that the student refused to leave. Then the admins can decide what to do from there, including getting assistance from the school resource officer.

There is a simple solution schools are doing around here. Students are given a pouch to put their phone in that they carry with them. The pouch is electronically closed while the students are in the building so they can't use the phone. Then can be opened once students leave. If they lose the pouch, they can't have their phones at all. This takes away the back-and-forth between teachers and students.

This really shouldn't be a problem. All cell phones off during class. One warning. Second time, lose phone. What's the problem?

YeH, but these cells are far more personal to the younger generation. Everything from their social media to pictures. Every generarion is out of control in their youth, it is only going to become worse in the Atheist world.
Do good little Christian kids not worship the false idol of cellphones. Because from what I have seen they are just as addicted as the godless heathens to their technological savor.

These kids need to understand you can not play on your cellphone whenever you want. If my employees are
on one they get one warning before they are docked for playing on their cellphone during working hours it’s all fun and games until they start crying about how unfair life can be.

Last edited:
This really shouldn't be a problem. All cell phones off during class. One warning. Second time, lose phone. What's the problem?
it is not a problem at all for students who comply with the rules. My links show the problem for students who do not.

You want to be the teacher who gets assaulted because they were told to physically take a student's phone away?

it is not a problem at all for students who comply with the rules. My links show the problem for students who do not.

You want to be the teacher who gets assaulted because they were told to physically take a student's phone away?
Sure, then I can have an excuse to knock the brat through the wall.

They should think that way.
Yes, a 60-year-old 5'1 female teacher should stand ever ready to knock a 6 ft 3 9th grader through the wall. Is there any way we could invite you to speak at our next teacher professional development so you could share your brilliance?

Yes, a 60-year-old 5'1 female teacher should stand ever ready to knock a 6 ft 3 9th grader through the wall. Is there any way we could invite you to speak at our next teacher professional development so you could share your brilliance?
Put the 6' 3" watusi in a class with a real man. Duh!

There is a simple solution schools are doing around here. Students are given a pouch to put their phone in that they carry with them. The pouch is electronically closed while the students are in the building so they can't use the phone. Then can be opened once students leave. If they lose the pouch, they can't have their phones at all. This takes away the back-and-forth between teachers and students.

cost. More to monitor. More spending time to find a way to defeat it. It’s only kids? Huh? Schools have lost complete control?

They also use phones to cheat. Nobody has all day to police a 10 yr old on a Galaxy phone.

Good Lord.

No solution is perfect for every situation.
Accept this as FACT.

In my Middle School, student were told not to have them out and phone be in their backpack.

Well, of course this RULE was broken on occasion.
As a teacher, deal with it.
Communication is the key.
Getting a phone out shouldn't be an immediate confiscation, communicate.
Oh, and poster 'concerned American' can fuck off.

To not be forcibly robbed of one's rightful property ought not be seen as a “special rule”.
Not to assume, so I'll ask.

Are you saying a student should not be robbed of their phone (one's rightful property) for ANY reason?

Forum List

Back