Zone1 some people may find similarities between the Mormon "church" and the Catholic Church but...

[8] For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. [9] And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
so this means all traditions are bad

wow... so logical

:uhoh3:

Colossians 2:8​

“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”
Christ centric traditions are

what... bad also?

:rolleyes:

Yes but where do you get it?
we get it at a VALID Mass

the way Jesus intended for us to get it. Of course you're not going to get physical blood at the Holy Mass

It is His blood nonetheless

See: LasT Supper

where Jesus mentions the "wine of hte new covenant"

excellent response.

Jesus quoted the Old Testament. He also said things vis a vis the old testament days that were/are NOT written in Scripture.

Even though Jesus coming to Earth changed things (no more animal sacrifice, etc) He nonetheless was a traditionalist. A lot of protestants have virtually thrown out the Old Testament. Catholics did not.
What Protestants have thrown out the old testament? You are full of shit.

we get it at a VALID Mass

the way Jesus intended for us to get it. Of course you're not going to get physical blood at the Holy Mass

It is His blood nonetheless

See: LasT Supper

where Jesus mentions the "wine of hte new covenant"

Then why do you need it so often?

Then why do you need it so often?
It follows along the lines of, Why do people need to eat, sleep, pray, visit family and loved ones as much as they do?

Weekly worship and celebration of our Redemption/Salvation is a way of putting aside worldly worries, cares, and things and to focus on nourishing our spirits.

some people may find similarities between the Mormon "church" and the Catholic Church but...

Those similarities don't mean much, ultimately.

Both Mormons and Catholics believe that we must do good works but that works are not what saves a person. There are a few other similarities but here's the thing: Only the Catholic Church (and there is only ONE in the eyes of our Lord, one Church but anyhow only the Church Christ established) can actually SAVE from Hell.

I have read books about people who were in Mormonism. That is not the same as saying I fully understand everything about that religion. But I don't have to, since I belong to the one Christ Himself established so I don't have to know all about other faiths.

I read this one story about how a Mormon doctor murdered his wife, tried to make it look like an accident, almost got away with it... did get away with it for some time until his daughters and others had investigators take a 2nd look at evidence. Then I read the story of Jodi Arias who murdered her fellow Mormon Travis Alexander

For one thing, when is the last time you heard a story of a devout Catholic murdering a spouse? I'm sure it has happened before but... well, maybe not with a DEVOUT Catholic, just a "regular" Catholic(?)

In any case, no "church" has the Real Presence of Christ, only the Catholic Church.... and there are other reasons why only Christ's religion can save.

Jesus established only that ONE.
Mormons might be eccentric but no worse than catholics. They certainly dont have as much blood on their hands as the Catholic Church.
Are you the full shilling ?

Mormons might be eccentric but no worse than catholics. They certainly dont have as much blood on their hands as the Catholic Church.
Are you the full shilling ?
if you think Catholics have more blood on their hands than protestants.. that's proof positive you do not know Church history

We need the Sacraments often because we are often human

sometimes sub-human (animalistic)

Interesting. That negates everything I have been taught about the blood of Jesus.

Let me get this straight. God hates sin. God murders His son. The blood becomes magic. A finite amount of Jesus’s blood is transformed into an infinite amount of wine for as long as the Church exists. Never mind. You guys know the logic. The crap won’t ever makes sense. Jesus’s blood has already rotted. Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn’t think.

Can’t we all just be honest and admit that blood crap is symbolism?

Let me get this straight. God hates sin. God murders His son. The blood becomes magic. A finite amount of Jesus’s blood is transformed into an infinite amount of wine for as long as the Church exists. Never mind. You guys know the logic. The crap won’t ever makes sense. Jesus’s blood has already rotted. Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn’t think.

Can’t we all just be honest and admit that blood crap is symbolism?
The story as a whole: We begin in the Garden of Eden when mankind chose to disobey God which, it seems, threw humans onto a different trajectory than was originally planed. God said, Okay, this means this, that, and the other--it will take some time, but I can still work with you.

Mankind tried to do their part as well. They made sacrifices. When it came to animal sacrifice, it appears God appreciated good intentions, but He also made it clear He desired mercy over all. People kept bringing God things, because they thought these things would bring them God's forgiveness.

Jesus was anointed by God to tell all of mankind that God did not need animals, wheat, money to be put in the mood to forgive sins. You want forgiveness? Then turn away from that sin and towards obedience to God and forgiveness is gladly yours.

There were a few people in Jesus' day who, for their own status and wealth, weren't pleased with this methodology of forgiveness of sin. And, this man, Jesus, was getting quite a following. The political atmosphere at the time was dicey as well. As Jesus would not stop his proclamation on repentance for the forgiveness of sins, the politicians of his day decided they had to stop him. The problem? Jesus was popular among the people, and if they killed Jesus, the people would likely turn on them. So...get the Romans to kill him.

Jesus died--not as punishment for sins--but for adamantly and determinedly carrying out the purpose God anointed him--to assure people their wrong-doings are forgiven once they stop doing that wrong. Of course, had Adam and Eve (mankind) not sinned to begin with, Jesus never would have had to die in teaching us, assuring us, that sins are forgiven. Some Christian denominations take it further, announcing that Jesus died as punishment for each person's personal sins. I cannot find where Jesus ever said that someone had to first be punished before God would forgive. Repentance/Turning From Sin is how forgiveness comes to each of us.

Now, Jesus lost many of his followers when he began teaching bread was his body, wine was his blood and it was given for our spiritual nourishment. Jesus was quite serious about it. When people said, "This is a hard teaching, who can accept it" and turned to leave--Jesus did not call after them, Hey, wait a minute!!! It is all SYMBOLIC!!! Instead, he turned to his Apostles and asked, "Will you leave me as well?" The consecrated bread and wine as the true body and blood of Jesus, IS a hard teaching, one Catholics and Orthodox accept through faith that Jesus knew what he was talking about. The Eucharist has always been holy and meaningful to me, even as a child. As a child, I saw how mothers nourished their babies without babies being accused of cannibalism, and I fully accept that Jesus is able to nourish us with his body and blood without turning us into cannibals. It is a truly magnificent union between Christ and his followers.

My best friend did not believe in the true presence, and did take the symbolism route. Remembering Jesus and his life was holy to her, and served the same purpose as believing in the True Presence.

We give God what we can, and He takes it from there. We will all be fine.

The story as a whole: We begin in the Garden of Eden when mankind chose to disobey God which, it seems, threw humans onto a different trajectory than was originally planed. God said, Okay, this means this, that, and the other--it will take some time, but I can still work with you.

Mankind tried to do their part as well. They made sacrifices. When it came to animal sacrifice, it appears God appreciated good intentions, but He also made it clear He desired mercy over all. People kept bringing God things, because they thought these things would bring them God's forgiveness.

Jesus was anointed by God to tell all of mankind that God did not need animals, wheat, money to be put in the mood to forgive sins. You want forgiveness? Then turn away from that sin and towards obedience to God and forgiveness is gladly yours.

There were a few people in Jesus' day who, for their own status and wealth, weren't pleased with this methodology of forgiveness of sin. And, this man, Jesus, was getting quite a following. The political atmosphere at the time was dicey as well. As Jesus would not stop his proclamation on repentance for the forgiveness of sins, the politicians of his day decided they had to stop him. The problem? Jesus was popular among the people, and if they killed Jesus, the people would likely turn on them. So...get the Romans to kill him.

Jesus died--not as punishment for sins--but for adamantly and determinedly carrying out the purpose God anointed him--to assure people their wrong-doings are forgiven once they stop doing that wrong. Of course, had Adam and Eve (mankind) not sinned to begin with, Jesus never would have had to die in teaching us, assuring us, that sins are forgiven. Some Christian denominations take it further, announcing that Jesus died as punishment for each person's personal sins. I cannot find where Jesus ever said that someone had to first be punished before God would forgive. Repentance/Turning From Sin is how forgiveness comes to each of us.

Now, Jesus lost many of his followers when he began teaching bread was his body, wine was his blood and it was given for our spiritual nourishment. Jesus was quite serious about it. When people said, "This is a hard teaching, who can accept it" and turned to leave--Jesus did not call after them, Hey, wait a minute!!! It is all SYMBOLIC!!! Instead, he turned to his Apostles and asked, "Will you leave me as well?" The consecrated bread and wine as the true body and blood of Jesus, IS a hard teaching, one Catholics and Orthodox accept through faith that Jesus knew what he was talking about. The Eucharist has always been holy and meaningful to me, even as a child. As a child, I saw how mothers nourished their babies without babies being accused of cannibalism, and I fully accept that Jesus is able to nourish us with his body and blood without turning us into cannibals. It is a truly magnificent union between Christ and his followers.

My best friend did not believe in the true presence, and did take the symbolism route. Remembering Jesus and his life was holy to her, and served the same purpose as believing in the True Presence.

We give God what we can, and He takes it from there. We will all be fine.
How do you know the original plan?

You should read what I wrote. I said Mormons not protestants.
It is always a good ploy to dig up past misdeeds of others, and fling them in the face of any opponent. Such a ploy is an immature distraction and should be dismissed as easily as a toddler's tantrum.

(Not accusing, you, Tommy! Just using what happened to make a point.)

How do you know the original plan?
I don't know what the original plan was. Genesis tells us that because of disobedience, certain things were now in play, hard work and painful childbirth were two that are mentioned. God works slowly, but I have faith He is working mankind back to that original plan.

I don't know what the original plan was. Genesis tells us that because of disobedience, certain things were now in play, hard work and painful childbirth were two that are mentioned. God works slowly, but I have faith He is working mankind back to that original plan.
I thought God was in control.

I thought God was in control.
I am puzzled as to your point.

It doesn't seem likely that you would suggest that we are puppets and God controls us?

Are you saying that I don't think God is in control? If so, in your opinion, then who do I think is in control?

I'm lost. Clarification, please. :)

It is always a good ploy to dig up past misdeeds of others, and fling them in the face of any opponent. Such a ploy is an immature distraction and should be dismissed as easily as a toddler's tantrum.

(Not accusing, you, Tommy! Just using what happened to make a point.)
This whole thread is based on that ploy.Catholics are better tham Mornons seems to be the message. I am not sure that is helpful.

This whole thread is based on that ploy.Catholics are better tham Mornons seems to be the message. I am not sure that is helpful.
One group (whether it be religious or secular) being "better" than another is like arguing whether a sunny day is better than a rainy day. (Too many variables are in play.)

I don't think much of Joseph Smith. I also don't think much of several popes. I am a Catholic who thinks quite a lot of Jesus Christ--and those I know of the LDS faith also think quite a lot of Jesus Christ. Jesus' teachings have brought a lot--and made a difference--in my life. He drew me closer to God. I imagine the same is true for many in the LDS faith.

Questionable popes have no impact on my own faith or trust in Catholic/Apostolic teachings. One pope digging up another pope after he had been buried to put him on trial does not put so much as a dent into my faith--nothing that distracts from Jesus does that. My religious faith is in Christ, not any of my fellow Catholics with unusual or questionable quirks.

I suspect the same is true even of Mormons who may question some of Joseph Smith's (or other Mormon) behavior.

There are many reasons why the Catholic faith is best for me--and my LDS friends feel there are reasons why the LDS faith is best for them. With God, we are all in good hands.

One group (whether it be religious or secular) being "better" than another is like arguing whether a sunny day is better than a rainy day. (Too many variables are in play.)

I don't think much of Joseph Smith. I also don't think much of several popes. I am a Catholic who thinks quite a lot of Jesus Christ--and those I know of the LDS faith also think quite a lot of Jesus Christ. Jesus' teachings have brought a lot--and made a difference--in my life. He drew me closer to God. I imagine the same is true for many in the LDS faith.

Questionable popes have no impact on my own faith or trust in Catholic/Apostolic teachings. One pope digging up another pope after he had been buried to put him on trial does not put so much as a dent into my faith--nothing that distracts from Jesus does that. My religious faith is in Christ, not any of my fellow Catholics with unusual or questionable quirks.

I suspect the same is true even of Mormons who may question some of Joseph Smith's (or other Mormon) behavior.

There are many reasons why the Catholic faith is best for me--and my LDS friends feel there are reasons why the LDS faith is best for them. With God, we are all in good hands.
I dont disagree with you. I am just pointing out the dopey premise of the OP>

Forum List

Back