Minimal Wage. Raises. Inflation. Cost of living.

`
`

This is just anecdotal. I work for a company in southeastern Wisconsin. One of our divisions provides semi-skilled labor with an emphasis on attendance. Positions start at $12.50/hr with some major benefits, depending on your longevity, and that is the key. The division isn't one of our big profit centers but we have amassed a loyal pool of temp staff. We did research enough to confirm that let's say, a forced minimum wage of $15/hr. would make our service unprofitable. It would have to be ended. I'm in an executive position. What plagues me the most is the human element here. Suffering, might be a good word to describe it.

Fortunately, the minimum wage, at least to me, isn't going to budge soon. Nonetheless, the economic crystal ball is not full of cheer.

`

Minimal wage increases every few years. Some employees get a raise every year if they are lucky, but some raises are insulting. Busting your butt, never late, never call off, take extra shifts, and you prove to be most reliable, just to be taken advantage of because the manager or supervisor knows you will do whatever they ask with out hesitation, so instead of wasting their time asking another employee that might not be so good or fast as you, and might be defiant and slack off. So being taken advantage of for a whole year and coming up is raise time. You are sitting in the office for your review, and the have nothing but good things to say, you are their best employee and this is the best review you have ever got. Then they tell you that you got a 15 cent raise. That is insulting if I ever got a raise that low I would tell them to keep it. Some companies once you are maxed out there is nothing to look forward to. No matter how much longer you are with that company. If that happens companies should give bonuses every year to keep employees moral up.
The Government decides to raise minimal wage every so often, to make it look like they are doing something good for the people. And the people that are making minimal wage actually believe The government did something for them.
Well in reality if inflation and cost of living increases faster then the minimal wage increases, it really doesn't matter if minimal wage increased at all if inflation and cost of living increases more and higher then minimal wage.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Minimal Wage increases to- $8.00
Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

So if inflation and cost of living increases more often then minimal wage you are really not making more.

I think minimal wage and raises should increase at the same rate of inflation and cost of living. Also a minimal wage a company can pay their employees should be based on how much that company makes. If company A is making more then company B, company A minimal wage would be higher then company Bs minimal wage.

You're trying to find a solution to a symptom rather than a solution to the root problem. Which I specifically warned you about doing in another one of your threads.

The problem is the economic system, itself. What we have now is the Keynesian economic system. The government depreciates the currency, meaning they debase it. They depreciate its value. The middle class and the poor suffer because the prices then go up. The older people on retirement also suffer the consequence. Eventually they'll wipe out the dollar.

The solution is to kill the root cause. Not conform to it and inflate the bubble more. You're gonna wipe yourself out.

Ditch the Keynesian mode and go back to free market capitalism where the market tells the government what to do rather than vice versa. That's the solution. It's the only solution.

Last edited:
Best to refrain from defining inflation as simply prices rising and understand it for what it actually is. Inflation comes from the unwise increase in the supply of money and credit. AKA printing it out of thin air.

`
`

This is just anecdotal. I work for a company in southeastern Wisconsin. One of our divisions provides semi-skilled labor with an emphasis on attendance. Positions start at $12.50/hr with some major benefits, depending on your longevity, and that is the key. The division isn't one of our big profit centers but we have amassed a loyal pool of temp staff. We did research enough to confirm that let's say, a forced minimum wage of $15/hr. would make our service unprofitable. It would have to be ended. I'm in an executive position. What plagues me the most is the human element here. Suffering, might be a good word to describe it.

Fortunately, the minimum wage, at least to me, isn't going to budge soon. Nonetheless, the economic crystal ball is not full of cheer.

`

They brought up a huge minimum wage increase here in the city. Cleveland is all Democrats, and even they voted it down. Their concern was correct: businesses would pack up and move outside of the city to the suburbs or further out in the country. So their next scheme was to have the entire county increase the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour. The same concern there. Businesses would pack up and move to another county.

It simply doesn't work.

If you don’t like what you are getting paid then find another job. Businesses don’t exist to give you a job. You aren’t owed anything.
Ok I just said that someone will say that. What about the people that did something years ago and it caused them to have a criminal record? what if happen years ago? A mistake that someone made should prevent them from getting a decent paying job? People make mistakes no one is perfect, even the employers. What about the people that have a problem with their knee or whatever, and is limited to low paying jobs? Some jobs that pay minimal wage make more money then companies that pay 10 or more dollars an hour.
Then why do people who choose not to work are so easily able to manipulate the government and get to live with no worries?

If you have a physical or mental disability that limits your ability to make money, you can apply for partial disability.

Employers are only concerned about ex-cons because they have a habit of not changing their ways, especially where drugs are concerned. A company we deliver to got into a state program where they hired people out of prison. The state gave them money for employing them. It didn't work out. Violent fights broke out between the ex-cons. So they hired private security. But the security officer was outnumbered and he ended up getting severely hurt. The security company refused to do the job any longer unless the company hired a team of security people which would have been a huge loss for the company, so they gave up on the program.

I'm not an employer but I am a landlord. The two biggest losses I took was because I rented to ex-cons. What a mistake that was. One ripped out walls in the apartment and left it that way until I evicted him. He was a remodeler and tore out the walls to make a bigger bathroom. He went back on drugs and couldn't complete the job. It cost me a ton of money to get that place in order. The other nearly had my house burned down to the ground. Over $80,000 in damage. I couldn't get insurance on any of my rental buildings for three years. Nobody would touch me.

That's it. I tried to be a nice guy, but I refuse to rent to anybody who was a convicted felon. Can you blame me???

I think all right to work laws should be federally removed! instead a federal union law should take its place and demand all workers to be unionized for better pay.

Businesses should have to deal with the union and pay their workers right.

Union built our middle class and it is the best way to rebuild it.

The goal should be spreading the wealth around to the lower classes and rebuilding our middle class. Spreading the wealth to the people that do the work shouldn't increase inflation or the cost of living.

Unions were the main driver of jobs leaving this country. You want to put that on steroids?

I'd insert a special percentage law to deal with the big corporations. Maybe half of all profit would need to go directly into the workers pay.

Then you would ruin the company. Companies rely on investors--especially big companies. If you reduce their profit, you reduce the growth of their stock. Reduce the growth of their stock, they lose investors. How would they get those investors back? Move the company out of the US.

`
`

`

They brought up a huge minimum wage increase here in the city. Cleveland is all Democrats, and even they voted it down. Their concern was correct: businesses would pack up and move outside of the city to the suburbs or further out in the country. So their next scheme was to have the entire county increase the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour. The same concern there. Businesses would pack up and move to another county.

It simply doesn't work.

So let them. Oh wait even our min was too high for a lot of them, they could not wait to go to China and Mexico and even Cuba.

A person making min wage full time makes what 15000 a year, not enough to get on the ACA, so Medicaid is a must for them, expanded Medicaid.

Unfortunately you do have a point, higher wages does mean higher costs, because unless its a Mom and Pop business (which it hurts) we just can't let the executive employees go without a raise. :rolleyes: I mean if the little man is going to get a raise then the top people must get one too.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
`
`

`

So these temps that get 12.50 , what does the business pay for that temp?

`
`

`

It simply doesn't work.

So let them. Oh wait even our min was too high for a lot of them, they could not wait to go to China and Mexico and even Cuba.

A person making min wage full time makes what 15000 a year, not enough to get on the ACA, so Medicaid is a must for them, expanded Medicaid.

Unfortunately you do have a point, higher wages does mean higher costs, because unless its a Mom and Pop business (which it hurts) we just can't let the executive employees go without a raise. I mean if the little man is going to get a raise then the top people must get one too.

No, it doesn't effect the top people, but it does create a domino effect for the little people.

You got a job out of high school with a company. You knew nothing going in so they paid you minimum wage. After six months of good work, they gave you a dollar an hour raise. As time went on, you kept getting raises.

After several years, you now make around 15.00 an hour because of your great work, learning different operations of a company, and a bright future. Now some Democrat comes along and makes the new minimum wage 15.00 an hour. You are right back to where you started from--making minimum wage.

So you march into your supervisors office and demand a six dollar an hour raise. He has no choice, it's either that or pay somebody the 15 and start from ground zero with a new employee and no experience.

So now you'r making $21.00 an hour and happy. Okay, but what about your coworker that was at the company much longer and made $21.00 an hour? Think he or she will approve of you making the same money as them?

So like I said, minimum wage just doesn't effect minimum wage workers, it effects all workers and a huge loss for the company.

If you don’t like what you are getting paid then find another job. Businesses don’t exist to give you a job. You aren’t owed anything.
Ok I just said that someone will say that. What about the people that did something years ago and it caused them to have a criminal record? what if happen years ago? A mistake that someone made should prevent them from getting a decent paying job? People make mistakes no one is perfect, even the employers. What about the people that have a problem with their knee or whatever, and is limited to low paying jobs? Some jobs that pay minimal wage make more money then companies that pay 10 or more dollars an hour.
Then why do people who choose not to work are so easily able to manipulate the government and get to live with no worries?

If you have a physical or mental disability that limits your ability to make money, you can apply for partial disability.

Employers are only concerned about ex-cons because they have a habit of not changing their ways, especially where drugs are concerned. A company we deliver to got into a state program where they hired people out of prison. The state gave them money for employing them. It didn't work out. Violent fights broke out between the ex-cons. So they hired private security. But the security officer was outnumbered and he ended up getting severely hurt. The security company refused to do the job any longer unless the company hired a team of security people which would have been a huge loss for the company, so they gave up on the program.

I'm not an employer but I am a landlord. The two biggest losses I took was because I rented to ex-cons. What a mistake that was. One ripped out walls in the apartment and left it that way until I evicted him. He was a remodeler and tore out the walls to make a bigger bathroom. He went back on drugs and couldn't complete the job. It cost me a ton of money to get that place in order. The other nearly had my house burned down to the ground. Over $80,000 in damage. I couldn't get insurance on any of my rental buildings for three years. Nobody would touch me.

That's it. I tried to be a nice guy, but I refuse to rent to anybody who was a convicted felon. Can you blame me???

Did you give him permission to remodel your apt?

Minimal wage increases every few years. Some employees get a raise every year if they are lucky, but some raises are insulting. Busting your butt, never late, never call off, take extra shifts, and you prove to be most reliable, just to be taken advantage of because the manager or supervisor knows you will do whatever they ask with out hesitation, so instead of wasting their time asking another employee that might not be so good or fast as you, and might be defiant and slack off. So being taken advantage of for a whole year and coming up is raise time. You are sitting in the office for your review, and the have nothing but good things to say, you are their best employee and this is the best review you have ever got. Then they tell you that you got a 15 cent raise. That is insulting if I ever got a raise that low I would tell them to keep it. Some companies once you are maxed out there is nothing to look forward to. No matter how much longer you are with that company. If that happens companies should give bonuses every year to keep employees moral up.
The Government decides to raise minimal wage every so often, to make it look like they are doing something good for the people. And the people that are making minimal wage actually believe The government did something for them.
Well in reality if inflation and cost of living increases faster then the minimal wage increases, it really doesn't matter if minimal wage increased at all if inflation and cost of living increases more and higher then minimal wage.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Minimal Wage increases to- $8.00
Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

So if inflation and cost of living increases more often then minimal wage you are really not making more.

I think minimal wage and raises should increase at the same rate of inflation and cost of living. Also a minimal wage a company can pay their employees should be based on how much that company makes. If company A is making more then company B, company A minimal wage would be higher then company Bs minimal wage.

If you were really that employee who was never late did a great job worked extra shifts etc and you are still making minimum wage then that's your own fault.

People have to live with the choices they make.

You choose to be a piece of shit criminal that's on you and you have to live with the consequences.

`
`

`

It simply doesn't work.

Unfortunately you do have a point, higher wages does mean higher costs, because unless its a Mom and Pop business (which it hurts) we just can't let the executive employees go without a raise. I mean if the little man is going to get a raise then the top people must get one too.

No, it doesn't effect the top people, but it does create a domino effect for the little people.

You got a job out of high school with a company. You knew nothing going in so they paid you minimum wage. After six months of good work, they gave you a dollar an hour raise. As time went on, you kept getting raises.

After several years, you now make around 15.00 an hour because of your great work, learning different operations of a company, and a bright future. Now some Democrat comes along and makes the new minimum wage 15.00 an hour. You are right back to where you started from--making minimum wage.

So you march into your supervisors office and demand a six dollar an hour raise. He has no choice, it's either that or pay somebody the 15 and start from ground zero with a new employee and no experience.

So now you'r making $21.00 an hour and happy. Okay, but what about your coworker that was at the company much longer and made $21.00 an hour? Think he or she will approve of you making the same money as them?

So like I said, minimum wage just doesn't effect minimum wage workers, it effects all workers and a huge loss for the company.

Of course it doesn't affect the top people as they make more money. I have never received a dollar raise without a change in job titles. I am not for giving the min wage a jump like that, and all doing the same job should get the same raise. Then the person who has been there a long time, a worker, (not an exec) is bound to be let go as they are just making too much, getting older, better to get a younger person in and pay them the starting wage and they are young.

One can't keep the min wage the same for years, when they are raising food prices, internet, phone, auto ins, and health ins, life ins, and take the state taxes , they want to do away with their deducts, and many GOP states have and raised the sales and property tax, that is going to hurt the lower wage people the most.

`
Excellent question. Unfortunately, I cannot answer that, suffice to say there are niche markets for such individuals. No, such a service doesn't come cheap but it is dependable and based on word-of-mouth, as opposed to advertisement.
`

`
Excellent question. Unfortunately, I cannot answer that, suffice to say there are niche markets for such individuals. No, such a service doesn't come cheap but it is dependable and based on word-of-mouth, as opposed to advertisement.
`

We have several customers that use temps. One of the main reasons they do so is to try out workers before they hire them full-time. It saves them a lot of time and money than hiring strangers.

`
`

I understand, but its true, the more you pay them, the more the business would have to, but if in a bind, its good to know there is a dependable temp service in the area.

`
`

`

It simply doesn't work.

Of course it doesn't affect the top people as they make more money. I have never received a dollar raise without a change in job titles. I am not for giving the min wage a jump like that, and all doing the same job should get the same raise. Then the person who has been there a long time, a worker, (not an exec) is bound to be let go as they are just making too much, getting older, better to get a younger person in and pay them the starting wage and they are young.

One can't keep the min wage the same for years, when they are raising food prices, internet, phone, auto ins, and health ins, life ins, and take the state taxes , they want to do away with their deducts, and many GOP states have and raised the sales and property tax, that is going to hurt the lower wage people the most.

I disagree. You don't pay people on what job they do, you pay people based on their ability to produce profit for the company.

Like anyplace else, we have losers where I work. They are slow, produce little for the company, and we good workers have to take up the slack for work they're not getting done. Many times we have to work over 8 hours. Why should those employees make the same as those of us that get the job done quickly and correctly?

Several of our good drivers complained to the boss about it. They caught these clowns sleeping in their trucks while we were swamped with work. My employer doesn't do much to them. Why? Because he's paying them a lot less than he's paying us.

`
`

`

It simply doesn't work.

I disagree. You don't pay people on what job they do, you pay people based on their ability to produce profit for the company.

Like anyplace else, we have losers where I work. They are slow, produce little for the company, and we good workers have to take up the slack for work they're not getting done. Many times we have to work over 8 hours. Why should those employees make the same as those of us that get the job done quickly and correctly?

Several of our good drivers complained to the boss about it. They caught these clowns sleeping in their trucks while we were swamped with work. My employer doesn't do much to them. Why? Because he's paying them a lot less than he's paying us.

Then they should get fired. All the places I have worked , get the same wage increase for the job position. A slacker at work should get a warning or a few, but they should be fired, a paper trail is needed to fight against unemployment.

Forum List

Back