Minimal Wage. Raises. Inflation. Cost of living.

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Minimal wage increases every few years. Some employees get a raise every year if they are lucky, but some raises are insulting. Busting your butt, never late, never call off, take extra shifts, and you prove to be most reliable, just to be taken advantage of because the manager or supervisor knows you will do whatever they ask with out hesitation, so instead of wasting their time asking another employee that might not be so good or fast as you, and might be defiant and slack off. So being taken advantage of for a whole year and coming up is raise time. You are sitting in the office for your review, and the have nothing but good things to say, you are their best employee and this is the best review you have ever got. Then they tell you that you got a 15 cent raise. That is insulting if I ever got a raise that low I would tell them to keep it. Some companies once you are maxed out there is nothing to look forward to. No matter how much longer you are with that company. If that happens companies should give bonuses every year to keep employees moral up.
The Government decides to raise minimal wage every so often, to make it look like they are doing something good for the people. And the people that are making minimal wage actually believe The government did something for them.
Well in reality if inflation and cost of living increases faster then the minimal wage increases, it really doesn't matter if minimal wage increased at all if inflation and cost of living increases more and higher then minimal wage.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Minimal Wage increases to- $8.00
Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

So if inflation and cost of living increases more often then minimal wage you are really not making more.

I think minimal wage and raises should increase at the same rate of inflation and cost of living. Also a minimal wage a company can pay their employees should be based on how much that company makes. If company A is making more then company B, company A minimal wage would be higher then company Bs minimal wage.

Minimal wage increases every few years. Some employees get a raise every year if they are lucky, but some raises are insulting. Busting your butt, never late, never call off, take extra shifts, and you prove to be most reliable, just to be taken advantage of because the manager or supervisor knows you will do whatever they ask with out hesitation, so instead of wasting their time asking another employee that might not be so good or fast as you, and might be defiant and slack off. So being taken advantage of for a whole year and coming up is raise time. You are sitting in the office for your review, and the have nothing but good things to say, you are their best employee and this is the best review you have ever got. Then they tell you that you got a 15 cent raise. That is insulting if I ever got a raise that low I would tell them to keep it. Some companies once you are maxed out there is nothing to look forward to. No matter how much longer you are with that company. If that happens companies should give bonuses every year to keep employees moral up.
The Government decides to raise minimal wage every so often, to make it look like they are doing something good for the people. And the people that are making minimal wage actually believe The government did something for them.
Well in reality if inflation and cost of living increases faster then the minimal wage increases, it really doesn't matter if minimal wage increased at all if inflation and cost of living increases more and higher then minimal wage.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

So if inflation and cost of living increases more often then minimal wage you are really not making more.

I think minimal wage and raises should increase at the same rate of inflation and cost of living. Also a minimal wage a company can pay their employees should be based on how much that company makes. If company A is making more then company B, company A minimal wage would be higher then company Bs minimal wage.

Which is better than no minimum wage and people being unable to pay for milk, gas, gas bill, electric and rent, I guess.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

Which is better than no minimum wage and people being unable to pay for milk, gas, gas bill, electric and rent, I guess.
have you, or anyone you know, ever taken a job that didn't pay enough to cover bills?

If you do, how old were you/they?

Which would be ridiculous.

Do you think government should have minimum price guarantee based on how much you make? For instance, you are not allowed to pay your lawn care company less than $100.00 per cut because you make over 75K a year? Do you think because you make 75K a year, the cost of your dinner at a restaurant should be higher than other people? How about the movies or amusement park? What about an airline ticket?

The idea of a federal government is to govern--not run our lives. Your federal government is not there to solve all of your personal or financial problems. Until we vote in a dictator government, they are not supposed to be there to guarantee you anything but the rights outlined within.

Do you think government should have minimum price guarantee based on how much you make? For instance, you are not allowed to pay your lawn care company less than $100.00 per cut because you make over 75K a year? Do you think because you make 75K a year, the cost of your dinner at a restaurant should be higher than other people? How about the movies or amusement park? What about an airline ticket?

The idea of a federal government is to govern--not run our lives. Your federal government is not there to solve all of your personal or financial problems. Until we vote in a dictator government, they are not supposed to be there to guarantee you anything but the rights outlined within.

What does govern mean? (don't look but we do have a dictator now)
really?

has he forced you to buy a product or service?

We do? I haven't been forced to do anything as of yet. Maybe you're confusing our current President with the last one who forced people to buy healthcare coverage or else, or his wife that tried to force kids to eat the crap she selected for school lunch. Or force schools to accept weirdos in dresses going to the girls locker room. Or dictating how a company is to conduct their business right down to how much they are allowed to spend on what.

See, that's a dictatorship.

We do? I haven't been forced to do anything as of yet. Maybe you're confusing our current President with the last one who forced people to buy healthcare coverage or else, or his wife that tried to force kids to eat the crap she selected for school lunch. Or force schools to accept weirdos in dresses going to the girls locker room. Or dictating how a company is to conduct their business right down to how much they are allowed to spend on what.

Now what do you mean by govern?

Now I think a dictator is one who continuously tries to control the judiciary and media and has generals as WH advisors.

Now I think a dictator is one who continuously tries to control the judiciary and media and has generals as WH advisors.

And there you have it, total control of government and able to do anything they want. We are a long way from that, but it is what Rump and in all fairness all recent presidents have wanted!

No, a dictator also wants total control of the people. Tell them what they can eat, what they must purchase, what they should not purchase, how much they should be allowed to weigh.........

To govern is to take care of the business of government. In our system, it's to preserve the rights in our Constitution and freedom so many have died for. Our system of government is not to put the first diaper on a citizen when they are born and the first shovel of dirt on their grave when they die.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

have you, or anyone you know, ever taken a job that didn't pay enough to cover bills?

You ever walk into mcdonalds and see people in their early 20s or older people that should be retired? while I was going to school I worked at mcdonalds overnight, class was 7-1 everyday m-f so I needed a job for 6 months that I wouldn't care to loose. What they expect from people making $7.25/hour is crazy. I made $14.00 bucks an hour, and for 8 ours I would load up 8-12 pieces of aluminum to be machined, which took 5-10 minutes to load 4 at a time and press a button. Each piece had to go through 2 different processes and the 1st one took 2 hours and second process took 1 hour 45 minutes. So I would just sit there most of time. Mcdonalds expect way to much. I worked with other people their and they were struggling, and taking home $478 every 2 weeks aint cutting it. Also they wouldn't allow any over time.
I just feel pay rates should increase with the cost of living and inflation, thus would make employees happier and a happier employee means, they better job they will do and the more reliable they will be.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

You ever walk into mcdonalds and see people in their early 20s or older people that should be retired? while I was going to school I worked at mcdonalds overnight, class was 7-1 everyday m-f so I needed a job for 6 months that I wouldn't care to loose. What they expect from people making $7.25/hour is crazy. I made $14.00 bucks an hour, and for 8 ours I would load up 8-12 pieces of aluminum to be machined, which took 5-10 minutes to load 4 at a time and press a button. Each piece had to go through 2 different processes and the 1st one took 2 hours and second process took 1 hour 45 minutes. So I would just sit there most of time. Mcdonalds expect way to much. I worked with other people their and they were struggling, and taking home $478 every 2 weeks aint cutting it. Also they wouldn't allow any over time.
I just feel pay rates should increase with the cost of living and inflation, thus would make employees happier and a happier employee means, they better job they will do and the more reliable they will be.

In 1900 a 6 1/2 oz bottle of coke cost a nickel. (60 years)

With constant min wage increases over the last 57 years...you wanna
guess what it costs now?

My parents 3-bedroom, 2 bath home with garage cost 16,000 dollars when
they purchased it in 1961. My Jeep cost me 27,000 two years ago and
it doesn't have near the space.

You are practicing the gameplan for communism in reverse.

Instead of 5 steps forward...3 steps back...gained 2 steps. When
you raise min wage...you are taking 1 step forward today and when EVERY
company that has hourly employees adjusts their prices...you will be
3 steps back from where you began

Some people cant find a decent paying job, due to maybe made a mistake when they were younger and now have some what of a criminal record. Tattoos still prevent employment some places, maybe they have an injury that prevents them from a lot of different job opportunities, whatever the reason, living pay check to pay check just to survive, in my eyes isn't right. You bust your ass 40 hours a week for minimal pay, and everything goes up in price, after all your bills are paid and after you buy the little bit of food you can afford, you're broke for a week or more till next check? That isn't right.
A lot of these minimal wage jobs don't even offer any benefits including healthcare, and now those people making minimal that would look forward to that 700-800 dollars they would get back at tax time, the government now fines people that don't have health coverage. Its 300 the first year and increases every year after that. Is it right to punish someone that bust their ass for 40 hours a week and their employer doesn't offer healthcare? They say there is affordable healthcare plans, affordable for who? Surely not someone who makes minimal. It would be cheaper just to pay the fine from the irs. And you say well find a job that does offer. Well there still needs to be employees at the jobs that only pay minimal wage, so what about those people? work 2 jobs? no one should have to work 2 jobs just to survive.

Then you got those people who don't work and get everything from the government. They live better then the people that make minimal wage and bust their ass.
I know people who get $800+ in food stamps every month, That persons boyfriend gets a couple hundred in food stamps himself, they both driving 2010 or newer cars, they pay next to nothing for rent and utilities, They have full health care coverage, They are always buying new clothes, shoe collections with over 20 30 pairs, jewelry, and whatever else. They don't lift a finger all month just wait for their money to get loaded on their little visa card, and they are good. No worries at all.
The person making minimal has stress through the rough, anxiety everyday, wearing the same pair of shoes for a year, might just have enough to pay their car payment and that car is an earlier 2000s and is always having problems. If they loose that job they will loose their place of living and will have no place to go.
How is this fair?
Their are homeless vets all through out my city and their are people that never contributed to their community non the less to the country, and are living so easy.
I can see if you are disabled mentally or physically, but their are people just popping out kids and get enormous benefits and help.
I know people that raised 3 kids and worked full time, so why cant anyone else? Yea it sucks but you shouldn't be having more and more kids if you cant afford it.

This country is the first to respond with help and food if another country is in need, but neglect vets to where they have to live under bridges.

That's where this country went wrong. They are so worried about how they look to the world, and keep their dominant image, at all costs. Even if it means neglect their own people. They got their priorities wrong, there is people out here that are upstanding citizens, follow the laws, work, and help others, and they can barely make it, and really need the help.

If you don’t like what you are getting paid then find another job. Businesses don’t exist to give you a job. You aren’t owed anything.

I believe we should raise the minimum wage to at least 10 bucks per hour. No more as I don't want to harm small business.

I'd insert a special percentage law to deal with the big corporations. Maybe half of all profit would need to go directly into the workers pay.
2. I'd remove the loop holes and force apple and ge to pay their goddamn taxes.

3. I'd rebuild the unions

I think all right to work laws should be federally removed! instead a federal union law should take its place and demand all workers to be unionized for better pay.

Businesses should have to deal with the union and pay their workers right.

Union built our middle class and it is the best way to rebuild it.

The goal should be spreading the wealth around to the lower classes and rebuilding our middle class. Spreading the wealth to the people that do the work shouldn't increase inflation or the cost of living.

Last edited:
If you don’t like what you are getting paid then find another job. Businesses don’t exist to give you a job. You aren’t owed anything.
Ok I just said that someone will say that. What about the people that did something years ago and it caused them to have a criminal record? what if happen years ago? A mistake that someone made should prevent them from getting a decent paying job? People make mistakes no one is perfect, even the employers. What about the people that have a problem with their knee or whatever, and is limited to low paying jobs? Some jobs that pay minimal wage make more money then companies that pay 10 or more dollars an hour.
Then why do people who choose not to work are so easily able to manipulate the government and get to live with no worries?

No, a dictator also wants total control of the people. Tell them what they can eat, what they must purchase, what they should not purchase, how much they should be allowed to weigh.........

To govern is to take care of the business of government. In our system, it's to preserve the rights in our Constitution and freedom so many have died for. Our system of government is not to put the first diaper on a citizen when they are born and the first shovel of dirt on their grave when they die.

You right, the Constitution is only for the wealthy.

Yes and as most of us know, its the corps who went to countries for cheaper labor and lay people off due to importing workers. Yes that is the GOP plan, is that businesses will create more jobs.

Forum List

Back