"I'll kill him graveyard dead"

Did they ever report about the guy she shot?

Was he trying to break in or was he some drunk pounding on the wrong door?

you don't pay attention do ya? He threw a chair and a patio table through the window and entered the house. now he is dead and has no one to blame except himself.

I've seen all the talk on this thread that he was scum, a rapist and everyone seems glad he is dead. I was just wondering about the circumstances. Does he have a criminal record? Is he a sex offender? I have seen cases where people get so drunk they think someone elses home is theirs and they try to break in.

Just trying to get some facts. I don't mean to get in the way of your celebration that this guy got shot
National news said that he was well known by local law enforcement and had been in trouble before.

That he eventually threw a lawn chair thru the doors window so he could gain access to the house.

He was an amazing call. Her calmness, her level-headedness, her high level of remorse and her great aim!:clap2:

that's the beauty of a shotgun,, you just have to point it in the general direction of the pig you are going to kill!
For the sake of clarity, I don't know that a good aim should be praised. It was a shotgun after all.

:razz:

Woman Shoots Intruder During 911 Call - The Early Show - CBS News
Oklahoma resident Donna Jackson faced a life or death situation when an intruder tried to break into her rural-area home last Friday.

Home alone, but armed with a shotgun, 57-year-old Jackson called 911 and begged for help, but police couldnt get there before the man was able to break through a glass door with a chair and patio table.

Jackson, who stayed on the phone with the 911 dispatcher, can be heard in the call saying, "I don't want to have to kill this man, but I'll kill him graveyard dead, ma'am."

When the intruder broke through the door, Jackson dropped the phone. A minute later, Jackson was forced to shoot, and the suspect, Billy Riley, 53, was killed. According to the local district attorney's office, Jackson won't be charged with a crime. During the call, the 911 operator told Jackson it was legal for her to defend her home.
I suppose you anti gun freaks would rather she got raped and killed by this intruder.

Gee, what were the odds that this woman would be threatened in her own home?

One in a billion? Looks like she hit the lottery, good thing she had that shotgun.

I suppose some want to take your gun away, but they're the few not the many; and, there is no serious threat to the second amendment RIGHT, but in the mind of the paranoid and/or the propagandists. This thread maybe an example of someone who is a member of both populations.
The problem with gun nuts - no, not the ones suggested by the OP - those who believe any restriction on firearms is cause for alarm, is they lack common sense. The only difference between a gun and a car - in terms of danger - is that the former is constitutionally protected.
Laws require those who drive a car to be licensed, insured and to operate the vehicle in a safe manner within specific parameters (on roadways designed for car traffic).
All of which make sense in terms of the general welfare. Yet, suggest to the OP or the NRA that a person be required to obtain a license, and that license be renewed annually before they may legally own, possess or have in their custody or control a firearm, and watch how they react. Or that firearms may not be carried - openly and concealed - in any public place; or that a limit on the amount or type of ammunition be imposed if and when a jurisdiction allows for open carry.
The right of our people to defend their homes is not the question, the stability, character and responsibility of the gun owner is the issue.
Do you understand the difference between a 'Right' and a 'Privilege'?

I also nominate this perp (the dead guy) for the Darwin Award....I'm sure she warned him. I'm sure he heard her cock the shotgun (a very distinctive sound, btw). Glad he's out of the Gene Pool.
I'll second that nomination!

There was nothing good about what this woman did. She killed a man and will live with this for the rest of her life. She didnt want to kill him and begged God for forgivness. She had to anyway.

Yes it was good that she saved herself but no, killing a man, a human being, isnt good. Some of you have serious partisan issues.

Im a democrat that supports guns, imagine that. Im glad she protected herself but its too bad she had to do what she did.

He had a choice. He pursued a course of action that threatened the wellbeing of an innocent person. She defended herself as is her right. She didn't hunt him down, he put himself in harm's way. No, a human death shouldn't be celebrated but he won't ever terrify or harm an innocent person again. She will probably need some assistance, some people do, some don't, depends on the individual and no, they don't have to be a sociopath to be able to live with it without breaking down.

Woman Shoots Intruder During 911 Call - The Early Show - CBS News

I suppose you anti gun freaks would rather she got raped and killed by this intruder.

Gee, what were the odds that this woman would be threatened in her own home?

One in a billion? Looks like she hit the lottery, good thing she had that shotgun.

I suppose some want to take your gun away, but they're the few not the many; and, there is no serious threat to the second amendment RIGHT, but in the mind of the paranoid and/or the propagandists. This thread maybe an example of someone who is a member of both populations.
The problem with gun nuts - no, not the ones suggested by the OP - those who believe any restriction on firearms is cause for alarm, is they lack common sense. The only difference between a gun and a car - in terms of danger - is that the former is constitutionally protected.
Laws require those who drive a car to be licensed, insured and to operate the vehicle in a safe manner within specific parameters (on roadways designed for car traffic).
All of which make sense in terms of the general welfare. Yet, suggest to the OP or the NRA that a person be required to obtain a license, and that license be renewed annually before they may legally own, possess or have in their custody or control a firearm, and watch how they react. Or that firearms may not be carried - openly and concealed - in any public place; or that a limit on the amount or type of ammunition be imposed if and when a jurisdiction allows for open carry.
The right of our people to defend their homes is not the question, the stability, character and responsibility of the gun owner is the issue.

do a little research before you open your yap WRY....the main reason for being against gun registration is because then they now know who exactly owns them...and if you think no regime in this country would try to confiscate them.....i ask you why would you think that?.....look what happened in Australia....they knew who had them and how many....according to a Aussie former gun owner who posts on another board...they came right to his house and told him,we can do this the easy way or the hard way.....and they knew exactly how many and what type he owned....

Yes it's called firearms control laws - we have them ya know :D

If he was just a drunk with no criminal record, it would be justified to do what he did? Don't see where you're going with this. Should people run a criminal background check and offer a breathalyzer before they shoot? Even getting so shitfaced that you break into other peoples homes can sometimes get you dead. Graveyard dead.

Does anyone know of any states where it might be illegal to shoot someone dead in your own home or property?

I'm not questioning the right of the poor woman to shoot the guy. She did not know if he was a serial killer or a lost motorist. Once he broke in, she had no choice. I am merely reacting to the posts on this thread seemingly celebrating the guys death and calling him scum.
I just wanted to know if anyone had any information on the guy that was killed

You make an interesting point. A guy down here got charged for shooting at a couple of dudes who stole his farm bike. He shot in their general direction and hit one in the arse (didn't kill him)..While they were waiting for the cops, the guy who got shot goes "you didn't have to shoot me bro". So it is interesting about whether you have that right to shoot if somebody is retreating. That said, this type of incident is over in seconds/minutes, yet law enforcement and lawyers will spend days/weeks dissecting every second..

As you know Doc, it's always fire at the biggest mass - in this case it was his arse. Okay, sue me, I'm pissing myself laughing here! :lol:

I happened to be listening to the radio yesterday and this incident was being discussed.

There were many callers who voiced the opinion that this woman should be prosecuted for killing the man who broke into her home. Many cited the concept of duty to retreat which is part of self defense laws in many states and requires one to retreat as far as possible and announce before using deadly force. One in particular was adamant that the woman should have made sure the intruder was going to hurt her before she shot.

I still don't know what he wanted her to do. I guess a guy tossing a table through a glass door to gain entry wasn't proof enough that the woman was in danger.

I have a problem with duty to retreat this because retreating to position where your back is against a wall or into another room at the back of your house allows an intruder complete access to your home and you could find yourself trapped while the intruder vandalizes your home.

You find the duty to retreat clause in states where there are weak castle laws.

Castle laws are quite specific in their wording.
In general, one (sometimes more) of a variety of conditions must be met before a person can legally use the Castle Doctrine:

* An intruder must be making (or have made) an attempt to unlawfully and/or forcibly enter an occupied home, business or car.

* The intruder must be acting illegally—e.g. the Castle Doctrine does not give the right to attack officers of the law acting in the course of their legal duties

* The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to inflict serious bodily harm or death upon an occupant of the home

* The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to commit some other felony, such as arson or burglary

* The occupant(s) of the home must not have provoked or instigated an intrusion, or provoked or instigated an intruder to threaten or use deadly force

* The occupant(s) of the home may be required to attempt to exit the house or otherwise retreat (this is called the "Duty to retreat" and most self-defense statutes referred to as examples of "Castle Doctrine" expressly state that the homeowner has no such duty)

In all cases, the occupant(s) of the home must be there legally, must not be fugitives from the law, must not be using the Castle Doctrine to aid or abet another person in being a fugitive from the law, and must not use deadly force upon an officer of the law or an officer of the peace while they are performing or attempting to perform their legal duties.

Note: the term "home" is used because most states only apply their Castle Doctrine to a place of residence; however, some states extend the protection to other legally-occupied places such as automobiles and places of business.

The Castle law for CT, where I live states:

Sec. 53a-20. Use of physical force in defense of premises. A person in possession or control of premises, or a person who is licensed or privileged to be in or upon such premises, is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by such other person in or upon such premises; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only (1) in defense of a person as prescribed in section 53a-19, or (2) when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson or any crime of violence, or (3) to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate an unlawful entry by force into his dwelling as defined in section 53a-100, or place of work, and for the sole purpose of such prevention or termination.

Where I live above my business, I especially worry about break ins. We regularly have considerable sums of cash on hand as well as some very expensive equipment. As such, I consider my property at a greater than average risk for burglary. I've done what is prudent by installing good lighting and audible alarms but we have no town police force here and I would most likely be waiting a while for the State Police to show up.

What would people such as the gentleman calling for prosecution of the woman being discussed suggest i do when a criminal is threatening my home and business, just stand there and watch as he carts away or destroys my property and my means of livelihood?

I grew up in Oklahoma.

Only a fool breaks into a house out in the country.

All ranch/farm owners have several weapons in the house.

22 cal. for varmits, couple of shotguns for bird season, several large calibre rifles for deer season, and at least a couple of pistols for plinking and self defense.

you don't pay attention do ya? He threw a chair and a patio table through the window and entered the house. now he is dead and has no one to blame except himself.

I've seen all the talk on this thread that he was scum, a rapist and everyone seems glad he is dead. I was just wondering about the circumstances. Does he have a criminal record? Is he a sex offender? I have seen cases where people get so drunk they think someone elses home is theirs and they try to break in.

Just trying to get some facts. I don't mean to get in the way of your celebration that this guy got shot
National news said that he was well known by local law enforcement and had been in trouble before.

That he eventually threw a lawn chair thru the doors window so he could gain access to the house.

This is what I heard on the radio - so their is no cite and I'm going from memory.
Not true. He has priors for DUI (4 of them) and they keep saying drug offenses (but only possession of pot). What was found out, he was highly intoxicated after a night of drinking with his sister. She was passed out in his car and suffering from alcohol poisoning. Her name was Pam. Since he was intoxicated he crashed his car into a ditch. No one truly knows what he was doing at that point, whether he was trying to break into the house to call the paramedics, whether he knew or cared she had alcohol poising, whether he even knew where he was.

None of this matters though the woman acted correctly under the circumstances and you still don't know what his intentions were or how he would have reacted when he got in the house and saw an unarmed women (if she had not gun)!

If he was just a drunk with no criminal record, it would be justified to do what he did? Don't see where you're going with this. Should people run a criminal background check and offer a breathalyzer before they shoot? Even getting so shitfaced that you break into other peoples homes can sometimes get you dead. Graveyard dead.

Does anyone know of any states where it might be illegal to shoot someone dead in your own home or property?

Yes, there are. In states like California you have to prove that you made a reasonable effort to escape. She could be jailed in California.

Castle Doctrine states that I know of are

Texas
Florida and
now Oklahoma.

Missouri too.

Yes, there are. In states like California you have to prove that you made a reasonable effort to escape. She could be jailed in California.

Castle Doctrine states that I know of are

Texas
Florida and
now Oklahoma.

Missouri too.

:thup:

National Rifle Association | Political Victory Fund

Forum List

Back