"I'll kill him graveyard dead"

If he was just a drunk with no criminal record, it would be justified to do what he did? Don't see where you're going with this. Should people run a criminal background check and offer a breathalyzer before they shoot? Even getting so shitfaced that you break into other peoples homes can sometimes get you dead. Graveyard dead.

Does anyone know of any states where it might be illegal to shoot someone dead in your own home or property?

Yes, there are. In states like California you have to prove that you made a reasonable effort to escape. She could be jailed in California.

Castle Doctrine states that I know of are

Texas
Florida and
now Oklahoma.

California (California Penal Code § 198.5 sets forth that unlawful, forcible entry into one's residence by someone not a member of the household creates the presumption that the resident held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury should he or she use deadly force against the intruder. This would make the homicide justifiable under CPC § 197[1]. CALCRIM 506 gives the instruction, "A defendant is not required to retreat. He or she is entitled to stand his or her ground and defend himself or herself and, if reasonably necessary, to pursue an assailant until the danger ... has passed. This is so even if safety could have been achieved by retreating."

However, it also states that "[People v. Ceballos] specifically held that burglaries which 'do not reasonably create a fear of great bodily harm' are not sufficient 'cause for exaction of human life
.'”

This is from wikipedia, so you may take it for what you will.

But, based on the outcome of People v. Ceballos, it would seem prudent to explain to everyone after the shooting that you had been in "Fear of Great Bodily Harm."...

.....wet your pants or something when the cops arrive.

Last edited:
I would like those of you here, myself included who think she did the right think to protect herself to comment on the DIFFERENCE between this "SELF DEFENSE" and the guy from Texas who shot to death a couple of theives stealing from his neighbor.

I would defend this woman till the end of the Earth! She had NO CHOICE other then to put herself at the mercy of someone who clearly had ill intent........................HOWEVER the man who shot TWO PEOPLE DEAD because they were taking PROPERTY was hailed by MANY on the right as some kind of John Wayne HERO which I found rather disgusting. Possesions can be replaced, a LIFE no matter HOW FLAWED can be redeemed unless it is ended.

So I would like those of you myself included who agree that this woman had NO CHOICE to contrast this incident with that of the man who killed fleeing theives. I guess by now you can all guess that I think the man who shot to death TWO people who were of NO THREAT to him should have been convicted, of what exact crime I can't say, but convicted none the less.

I would like those of you here, myself included who think she did the right think to protect herself to comment on the DIFFERENCE between this "SELF DEFENSE" and the guy from Texas who shot to death a couple of theives stealing from his neighbor.

I would defend this woman till the end of the Earth! She had NO CHOICE other then to put herself at the mercy of someone who clearly had ill intent........................HOWEVER the man who shot TWO PEOPLE DEAD because they were taking PROPERTY was hailed by MANY on the right as some kind of John Wayne HERO which I found rather disgusting. Possesions can be replaced, a LIFE no matter HOW FLAWED can be redeemed unless it is ended.

So I would like those of you myself included who agree that this woman had NO CHOICE to contrast this incident with that of the man who killed fleeing theives. I guess by now you can all guess that I think the man who shot to death TWO people who were of NO THREAT to him should have been convicted, of what exact crime I can't say, but convicted none the less.

And she is ten times more justified than the Louisiana guy who shot a Japanese foreign exchange student IN THE BACK on Halloween when the student, in Halloween costume, was trying to find a house with a party and went to his house by mistake....and was LEAVING their driveway when shot.

I seem to remember at common law that there was a duty to retreat but I think that duty ended at the portal of your home. Since the woman was inside her home she couldn't retreat any further, nor should she have been required to do so.

I've seen all the talk on this thread that he was scum, a rapist and everyone seems glad he is dead. I was just wondering about the circumstances. Does he have a criminal record? Is he a sex offender? I have seen cases where people get so drunk they think someone elses home is theirs and they try to break in.

Just trying to get some facts. I don't mean to get in the way of your celebration that this guy got shot
National news said that he was well known by local law enforcement and had been in trouble before.

That he eventually threw a lawn chair thru the doors window so he could gain access to the house.

This is what I heard on the radio - so their is no cite and I'm going from memory.
Not true. He has priors for DUI (4 of them) and they keep saying drug offenses (but only possession of pot). What was found out, he was highly intoxicated after a night of drinking with his sister. She was passed out in his car and suffering from alcohol poisoning. Her name was Pam. Since he was intoxicated he crashed his car into a ditch. No one truly knows what he was doing at that point, whether he was trying to break into the house to call the paramedics, whether he knew or cared she had alcohol poising, whether he even knew where he was.

None of this matters though the woman acted correctly under the circumstances and you still don't know what his intentions were or how he would have reacted when he got in the house and saw an unarmed women (if she had not gun)!

I finally heard the full transcript of the call. He can be heard repeatedly banging on the door. At one point, the dispatcher asks what he is screaming and the woman says "Pam". He had just gotten into an accident and his sister was unconscious in the car. It appears he was severely drunk and was at the house for help and not to rape or maim as previously claimed.
Is is also not clear if he knew someone was in the house at the time and may have been breaking in the house to use the phone.
As much as the gun lobby holds this case up as a success story of a lone woman blowing away an intruder. It seems it may be a case of a homeowner shooting someone who was drunk and looking for help for his sister

That's what Huckabee thought. Look what the left thinks of him?

As for Texas. I agree with you. The Texas man would be justified if he were protecting himself and his home. I don't agree with shooting fleeing thieves in the back. However, I don't think they would have been put away if left alive,, they might have turned out to be cop killers then the left would say the Texas man should have shot them when he had the chance so it's "damned if you do and damned if you don't.."

National news said that he was well known by local law enforcement and had been in trouble before.

That he eventually threw a lawn chair thru the doors window so he could gain access to the house.

This is what I heard on the radio - so their is no cite and I'm going from memory.
Not true. He has priors for DUI (4 of them) and they keep saying drug offenses (but only possession of pot). What was found out, he was highly intoxicated after a night of drinking with his sister. She was passed out in his car and suffering from alcohol poisoning. Her name was Pam. Since he was intoxicated he crashed his car into a ditch. No one truly knows what he was doing at that point, whether he was trying to break into the house to call the paramedics, whether he knew or cared she had alcohol poising, whether he even knew where he was.

None of this matters though the woman acted correctly under the circumstances and you still don't know what his intentions were or how he would have reacted when he got in the house and saw an unarmed women (if she had not gun)!

I finally heard the full transcript of the call. He can be heard repeatedly banging on the door. At one point, the dispatcher asks what he is screaming and the woman says "Pam". He had just gotten into an accident and his sister was unconscious in the car. It appears he was severely drunk and was at the house for help and not to rape or maim as previously claimed.
Is is also not clear if he knew someone was in the house at the time and may have been breaking in the house to use the phone.
As much as the gun lobby holds this case up as a success story of a lone woman blowing away an intruder. It seems it may be a case of a homeowner shooting someone who was drunk and looking for help for his sister

And that makes it a tragedy all round. But I don't think it blunts the point that is being made, that the woman had the legal - and moral - right to protect herself. I'm sure she will not be prosecuted. Even in my state, which has pretty firm firearms control laws, her subjective state of mind would result in an acquittal if the prosecutorial authorities were of a mind to go ahead and indict her.

so you want her to administer a test before she shoots him? I knew you were going to blame the victim,, I just knew it..

And that makes it a tragedy all round. But I don't think it blunts the point that is being made, that the woman had the legal - and moral - right to protect herself. I'm sure she will not be prosecuted. Even in my state, which has pretty firm firearms control laws, her subjective state of mind would result in an acquittal if the prosecutorial authorities were of a mind to go ahead and indict her.

The woman had no way of determining his motivation. She will not be prosecuted in any case.

I just have a problem with those celebrating the death of the guy. If he truly thought he needed to break in to get to a phone, it was a tragedy all around

I just have a problem with those celebrating the death of the guy. If he truly thought he needed to break in to get to a phone, it was a tragedy all around

Meh...I'm not celebrating.

I just don't give a fuck about Darwin Award Winners' Deaths.

As far as I'm concerned this lady just scraped a few leaves off the gene pool.

Woman Shoots Intruder During 911 Call - The Early Show - CBS News
Oklahoma resident Donna Jackson faced a life or death situation when an intruder tried to break into her rural-area home last Friday.

Home alone, but armed with a shotgun, 57-year-old Jackson called 911 and begged for help, but police couldnt get there before the man was able to break through a glass door with a chair and patio table.

Jackson, who stayed on the phone with the 911 dispatcher, can be heard in the call saying, "I don't want to have to kill this man, but I'll kill him graveyard dead, ma'am."

When the intruder broke through the door, Jackson dropped the phone. A minute later, Jackson was forced to shoot, and the suspect, Billy Riley, 53, was killed. According to the local district attorney's office, Jackson won't be charged with a crime. During the call, the 911 operator told Jackson it was legal for her to defend her home.
I suppose you anti gun freaks would rather she got raped and killed by this intruder.

Gee, what were the odds that this woman would be threatened in her own home?

One in a billion? Looks like she hit the lottery, good thing she had that shotgun.
Nothing from the article you linked to indicates he had any malicious intentions toward her. Why do you claim he intended to rape and kill her. He may just have been looking to raid her refrigerator for all you know. Maybe he was even mistaken about the address and thought he was entering a friend's house.

She shot a man in cold blood without even warning him to leave. Sad how trigger happy some people can be. He might have been someone's father. Now he's dead.

I have a problem with duty to retreat this because retreating to position where your back is against a wall or into another room at the back of your house allows an intruder complete access to your home and you could find yourself trapped while the intruder vandalizes your home.

Do you think a person deserves to die because they are vandalizing property?

Woman Shoots Intruder During 911 Call - The Early Show - CBS News
Oklahoma resident Donna Jackson faced a life or death situation when an intruder tried to break into her rural-area home last Friday.

Home alone, but armed with a shotgun, 57-year-old Jackson called 911 and begged for help, but police couldnt get there before the man was able to break through a glass door with a chair and patio table.

Jackson, who stayed on the phone with the 911 dispatcher, can be heard in the call saying, "I don't want to have to kill this man, but I'll kill him graveyard dead, ma'am."

When the intruder broke through the door, Jackson dropped the phone. A minute later, Jackson was forced to shoot, and the suspect, Billy Riley, 53, was killed. According to the local district attorney's office, Jackson won't be charged with a crime. During the call, the 911 operator told Jackson it was legal for her to defend her home.

I suppose you anti gun freaks would rather she got raped and killed by this intruder.

Gee, what were the odds that this woman would be threatened in her own home?

One in a billion? Looks like she hit the lottery, good thing she had that shotgun.

I suppose some want to take your gun away, but they're the few not the many; and, there is no serious threat to the second amendment RIGHT, but in the mind of the paranoid and/or the propagandists. This thread maybe an example of someone who is a member of both populations.
The problem with gun nuts - no, not the ones suggested by the OP - those who believe any restriction on firearms is cause for alarm, is they lack common sense. The only difference between a gun and a car - in terms of danger - is that the former is constitutionally protected.
Laws require those who drive a car to be licensed, insured and to operate the vehicle in a safe manner within specific parameters (on roadways designed for car traffic).
All of which make sense in terms of the general welfare. Yet, suggest to the OP or the NRA that a person be required to obtain a license, and that license be renewed annually before they may legally own, possess or have in their custody or control a firearm, and watch how they react. Or that firearms may not be carried - openly and concealed - in any public place; or that a limit on the amount or type of ammunition be imposed if and when a jurisdiction allows for open carry.
The right of our people to defend their homes is not the question, the stability, character and responsibility of the gun owner is the issue.

Sure. Cuz they don't stick their hands in my wallet and take away part of what I have earned, right? The government does what it wants regardless what the people believe, and we suffer the tyranny of the minority daily.

So sell that in denial crap elsewhere.:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back