How Badly will Canada lose the Trade war?

Canada currently has 1,600 tariffs in place. The EU and China have hundreds in place. Trump's fighting fire with fire. He's lookin out for American Workers. And we haven't had a US President do that in a very long time. When Canada, EU, and China decide to end their tariffs, we'll talk. Good on Trump. :thup:

We do not have tariffs on China, just Canada, Mexico and the EU.

Well, Canada protects its Workers. It currently has 1,600 tariffs in place. It's about time the US had a leader lookin out for our Workers. I wish Trump all the best.

Trump is certainly taking care of China's workers. Some day he might do something to help ours. He hasn't so far, but I guess we can hope.

He's trying, but undoing several decades of Globalist Trade Deal disasters, is a herculean effort. The Globalists threw American Workers overboard years ago. Hopefully, Trump can be successful in repairing the awful Globalist damage. I wish him all the best.

If the US mirrors Canada's tariffs and restrictions Canada is in big trouble, that's a given, but how big will the trouble be? Just seeking fact based opinions on how bad it will get and how fast.
Sure Canada would be screwed. On the other hand how much would the US be screwed if Canada had allies who themselves are being screwed by a president who thinks trolling people and perceptions are a good substitute for actual hard data? Trump is making it a point to try to bully everybody. The problem is the world has a stronger economy then the US has by it's lonesome and sooner our later other countries will decide that no old alliances are worth the price of being treated like shit. At that point the US will be alone and having already driven prices of consumer goods up through the roof and closed of all access to foreign markets will spiral into a depression.

When or if Canada, EU, and China end their thousands of tariffs, we can have serious talks. Otherwise, they have no right whining about a couple US tariffs. End all the tariffs, and then let's talk. The US is completely open to Free & Fair Trade. Just wipe the slate clean and end all tariffs.
Not to put to fine a point on it the US protected it's own market at about the same rate as other industrialized countries.

Al nations' leaders have a vital responsibility to protect their businesses and workers. That's what the whole tariff issue is all about. If other nations agree to end their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would be open to negotiating on that.

If the US mirrors Canada's tariffs and restrictions Canada is in big trouble, that's a given, but how big will the trouble be? Just seeking fact based opinions on how bad it will get and how fast.
Both sides always lose in a trade war.

When or if Canada, EU, and China end their thousands of tariffs, we can have serious talks. Otherwise, they have no right whining about a couple US tariffs. End all the tariffs, and then let's talk. The US is completely open to Free & Fair Trade. Just wipe the slate clean and end all tariffs.
Not to put to fine a point on it the US protected it's own market at about the same rate as other industrialized countries.

Al nations have a vital responsibility to protect their businesses and workers. That what the whole tariff issue is all about. If other nations agree to end their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would be open to negotiating on that.
Trump doesn't know the first thing about macro economics, international trade, or diplomacy. See you can't say to countries " Hey you give me everything I want, at which point, I maybe won't pull the trigger of the gun I'm holding to your head." You can't lie about data and claim it's the truth. you can't break agreements that were made, because you don't like the guy who made the agreement. You can't publicly humiliate a country or it's leader by disparaging him , or it ,over twitter. Deals is something were both sides get some of what they want, a deal is something that if done properly both sides think they gained, a deal is about trust. Trump has no interest in that and as such will bring the US to ruin. And he will do it while having the full support of you and people like you. You will blame immigrants, Democrats, the press, other countries and the Easter Bunny.

It will get real ugly FOR US this moron in our WH doesn't care how many jobs we lose ,,how much more we have to pay for good s,,how all our trading partners leave for greener pastures And next time we need a friend who will our AH go to??

Everyone loses a trade war - except for power hungry politicians.

The usual suspect Globalists are whining about a couple US tariffs, while at the same time imposing thousands of them on nations. Canada's currently up to over 1,600, and the EU & China have hundreds in place. Trump's proposing a couple. So what? Good on em. Time to help American Workers out for a change.
Countries ranked by Tariff rate, applied, simple mean, all products (%) - North America
The Tariff rate in the US was higher then Canada's. Sure you can point to individual products to skew the numbers but that's just cherry picking your information.

Leaders should be protecting their Workers. That's what i expect of them. Trump's doing that. Good on em. :thup:

He is our worker, and he had best believe it, he is a servant of the US people and we are anti what he is doing.

China,no problem-

Canada, our best allied friend ?

thats like charging your 6 year old kid rent.

Trump is a F'n DUMBASS

Al nations have a vital responsibility to protect their businesses and workers. That what the whole tariff issue is all about. If other nations agree to end their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would be open to negotiating on that.
Trump doesn't know the first thing about macro economics, international trade, or diplomacy. See you can't say to countries " Hey you give me everything I want, at which point, I maybe won't pull the trigger of the gun I'm holding to your head." You can't lie about data and claim it's the truth. you can't break agreements that were made, because you don't like the guy who made the agreement. You can't publicly humiliate a country or it's leader by disparaging him , or it ,over twitter. Deals is something were both sides get some of what they want, a deal is something that if done properly both sides think they gained, a deal is about trust. Trump has no interest in that and as such will bring the US to ruin. And he will do it while having the full support of you and people like you. You will blame immigrants, Democrats, the press, other countries and the Easter Bunny.

I'd wager anything that Trump has far more international business experience than you do. He wouldn't be implementing these tariffs, if Canada, the EU, and China engaged in Free & Fair Trade. When they decide to end all their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would consider doing the same.

The usual suspect Globalists are whining about a couple US tariffs, while at the same time imposing thousands of them on nations. Canada's currently up to over 1,600, and the EU & China have hundreds in place. Trump's proposing a couple. So what? Good on em. Time to help American Workers out for a change.
Countries ranked by Tariff rate, applied, simple mean, all products (%) - North America
The Tariff rate in the US was higher then Canada's. Sure you can point to individual products to skew the numbers but that's just cherry picking your information.

Leaders should be protecting their Workers. That's what i expect of them. Trump's doing that. Good on em. :thup:

He is our worker, and he had best believe it, he is a servant of the US people and we are anti what he is doing.

Come on, do you really know what you're talkin about? Do you know anything about tariffs?

non-tariff tariffs like VAT can be an even bigger problem. Quotas too are a major malfunction.

I'd wager anything that Trump has far more international business experience than you do. He wouldn't be implementing these tariffs, if Canada, the EU, and China engaged in Free & Fair Trade. When they decide to end all their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would consider doing the same.

He is known as a charlatan, shyster, that Is not business experience and I do not consider him as a reality TV person as business exp.

didn't he go bankrupt 5 times, didn't he live in the court system.

Come on, do you really know what you're talkin about? Do you know anything about tariffs?

We have a surplus with Canada, why don't you tell us what Canadian tariffs are and what our tariffs are??

You mean in the old days he used china steel and foreign workers. Too funny.

He is known as a charlatan, shyster, that Is not business experience and I do not consider him as a reality TV person as business exp.

didn't he go bankrupt 5 times, didn't he live in the court system.

Uh huh, let me know when Canada, the EU, and China end their thousands of tariffs. Get back to us on that.

We have a surplus with Canada, why don't you tell us what Canadian tariffs are and what our tariffs are??

Oh cool, so Trudeau's gonna end Canada's thousands of tariffs? I hadn't heard that. If that is the case, i'm sure Trump will consider doing the same.

Oh cool, so Trudeau's gonna end Canada's thousands of tariffs? I hadn't heard that. If that is the case, i'm sure Trump will consider doing the same.

If quotas, subsidies and non-tariff tariffs are not part of the deal we will quickly be in worse shape than what we are now if only the tariffs are addressed.

The way I see it Trump is a failed businessman who's real talent is that of a celebrity. Neither of these things offers a skill set to operate as POTUS. He's not the only one ever to hold the position without the knowledge. I do believe he's the only one who feels he can make up for his lack of knowledge by blustering his way through. Now I understand that for you he's simply doing what he's promised and so it has to be right. The problem is the world is more complex than saying I can fix it by bullying the other guy.

If quotas, subsidies and non-tariff tariffs are not part of the deal we will quickly be in worse shape than what we are now if only the tariffs are addressed.

If tariffs are so 'awful', why has Canada, EU, and China's Economies done so well with thousands of them in place? They certainly haven't gone the 'Sky is Falling' route. Their Economies have been thriving for years. Trump's just responding. And that's what i expect of a US leader. It's time to look out for American Workers again.

Forum List

Back