How Badly will Canada lose the Trade war?

When or if Canada, EU, and China end their thousands of tariffs, we can have serious talks. Otherwise, they have no right whining about a couple US tariffs. End all the tariffs, and then let's talk. The US is completely open to Free & Fair Trade. Just wipe the slate clean and end all tariffs.
Not to put to fine a point on it the US protected it's own market at about the same rate as other industrialized countries.

Al nations have a vital responsibility to protect their businesses and workers. That what the whole tariff issue is all about. If other nations agree to end their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would be open to negotiating on that.
Trump doesn't know the first thing about macro economics, international trade, or diplomacy. See you can't say to countries " Hey you give me everything I want, at which point, I maybe won't pull the trigger of the gun I'm holding to your head." You can't lie about data and claim it's the truth. you can't break agreements that were made, because you don't like the guy who made the agreement. You can't publicly humiliate a country or it's leader by disparaging him , or it ,over twitter. Deals is something were both sides get some of what they want, a deal is something that if done properly both sides think they gained, a deal is about trust. Trump has no interest in that and as such will bring the US to ruin. And he will do it while having the full support of you and people like you. You will blame immigrants, Democrats, the press, other countries and the Easter Bunny.

I'd wager anything that Trump has far more international business experience than you do. He wouldn't be implementing these tariffs, if Canada, the EU, and China engaged in Free & Fair Trade. When they decide to end all their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would consider doing the same.
The way I see it Trump is a failed businessman who's real talent is that of a celebrity. Neither of these things offers a skill set to operate as POTUS. He's not the only one ever to hold the position without the knowledge. I do believe he's the only one who feels he can make up for his lack of knowledge by blustering his way through. Now I understand that for you he's simply doing what he's promised and so it has to be right. The problem is the world is more complex than saying I can fix it by bullying the other guy.

Yet implementing thousands of tariffs has worked out incredibly well for Canada, the EU, and China. Their Economies have thrived for years. So are tariffs really the awful Boogeyman you're making them out to be?

Numerous tariffs certainly haven't hurt Canada, the EU, and China. Meanwhile, the US has lost thousands of good-paying jobs. So like i said, let me know when those countries end all their tariffs. Then we can talk.

Not to put to fine a point on it the US protected it's own market at about the same rate as other industrialized countries.

Al nations have a vital responsibility to protect their businesses and workers. That what the whole tariff issue is all about. If other nations agree to end their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would be open to negotiating on that.
Trump doesn't know the first thing about macro economics, international trade, or diplomacy. See you can't say to countries " Hey you give me everything I want, at which point, I maybe won't pull the trigger of the gun I'm holding to your head." You can't lie about data and claim it's the truth. you can't break agreements that were made, because you don't like the guy who made the agreement. You can't publicly humiliate a country or it's leader by disparaging him , or it ,over twitter. Deals is something were both sides get some of what they want, a deal is something that if done properly both sides think they gained, a deal is about trust. Trump has no interest in that and as such will bring the US to ruin. And he will do it while having the full support of you and people like you. You will blame immigrants, Democrats, the press, other countries and the Easter Bunny.

I'd wager anything that Trump has far more international business experience than you do. He wouldn't be implementing these tariffs, if Canada, the EU, and China engaged in Free & Fair Trade. When they decide to end all their tariffs, i'm sure Trump would consider doing the same.
The way I see it Trump is a failed businessman who's real talent is that of a celebrity. Neither of these things offers a skill set to operate as POTUS. He's not the only one ever to hold the position without the knowledge. I do believe he's the only one who feels he can make up for his lack of knowledge by blustering his way through. Now I understand that for you he's simply doing what he's promised and so it has to be right. The problem is the world is more complex than saying I can fix it by bullying the other guy.

Yet implementing thousands of tariffs has worked out incredibly well for Canada, the EU, and China. Their Economies have thrived for years. So are tariffs really the awful Boogeyman you're making them out to be?

Numerous tariffs certainly haven't hurt Canada, the EU, and China. Meanwhile, the US has lost thousands of good-paying jobs. So like i said, let me know when those countries end all their tariffs. Then we can talk.
Again the average tariff rate of the US is higher then Canada and most of the EU. Going by Trump's words is a sure fire way to get the wrong information.

Again the average tariff rate of the US is higher then Canada and most of the EU. Going by Trump's words is a sure fire way to get the wrong information.

Then let's all agree to end all tariffs. Let's wipe the slate clean and start fresh. That's the only way to truly achieve Free & Fair Trade.

There is no trade war, just a little whining. Canada had massive import tariffs on U.S. poultry and milk products (almost 300%) before Trump was elected. It will work out in the end once Canada and other nations realize that the U.S. is no longer a patsy.

Amen! Canada scraps it tariffs, i'm sure the US will consider doing the same.

Yep. Dairy highlights the tariffs at 270%. They also have 70%
on sausage. 50% on lumber and barley. 20% on beef, and many,
many more. We'll finally be able to purchase Canada and at a discounted
rate.

The Canadians are fucked if we force them out of those tariff's.

Those tariffs have worked out extremely well for Canada. Meanwhile, Americans are paying a hefty price. Canada's leaders outsmarted US Globalist negotiators. It was a travesty. Canada looks out for its Workers. It's about time our leaders starting doing that for US Workers. Go Trump!

You know why the US has lost those jobs? Improvements in technology and lower wages in different countries. Neither of those things will be changed by imposing tariffs. Especially not tariffs that are imposed on raw materials. Those just cause price hikes throughout the supply chain. For instance the steel industry employed less then 100000 people. There were however 164000 extra jobs last month overall. In other words Trump is risking a trade war, which has negative effects as an increase in prizes of consumer goods, not to mention a tremendous amount of goodwill with the entire world on the off chance that doing so will convince US steel producers to employ a couple of thousand extra people. I'm sorry to tell you but the 1960's aren't coming back. Thinking that coal and steel are the way to jobs and prosperity is simply ridiculous. The US needs to focus on finished goods and new technologies. Products were education, raw technology and capital base can make a difference. I understand the allure of Trump. His claiming that he can make the production industry come back is alluring. It's also a lie.

Then let's all agree to end all tariffs. Let's wipe the slate clean and start fresh. That's the only way to truly achieve Free & Fair Trade.
Only one side started raising extra tariffs and it's not the EU or Canada now is it?

Last edited:
Canada currently has 1,600 tariffs in place. The EU and China have hundreds in place. Trump's fighting fire with fire. He's lookin out for American Workers. And we haven't had a US President do that in a very long time. When Canada, EU, and China decide to end their tariffs, we'll talk. Good on Trump. :thup:

We do not have tariffs on China, just Canada, Mexico and the EU.

A born liar you are. Obama did it.

U.S. hikes duties on Chinese steel to more than 500%

Only one side is raising extra tariffs and it's not the EU or Canada now is it?

End all tariffs. Problem solved.

Forum List

Back