Do you support abolishing the Federal Dept of Education?

Do you support abolishing the Fed Dept of Ed in favor of Parents and the States?

• Yes

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
In favor of returning education to Parents and the States?

ABSOLUTELY! Federal government has NO business and NO right to insert itself into the education of our children. NONE. And seeing the state of our public school system today should make everyone realize it benefits no one, least of all our children.

Our public school system has been turned into a political indoctrination center, our kids graduate high school with what used to be an 8th grade education. They are so poorly prepared for college today the majority must take remedial math and English classes before they are even capable of college level courses and those classes are often "dumbed" down as well. Having to take remedial classes in college used to be an embarrassment for the freshman as proof they were poorly educated and not too smart. Now its the norm. Those who do not go on to college have been seriously short changed of the basic skills and knowledge needed by any independent, productive member of society. The writing skills of high school graduates are childish, their vocabulary limited and they lack the knowledge of even basic grammar and therefore can't even speak their own natural language fluently and correctly. A show of hands here -how many people think it is correct to say "Me and him went to the store." or any variation that starts with "him" or "me"? I hear people posing as well educated young adults who so butcher their own language it is like hearing nails on a chalkboard. Poor grammar, which only increases confusion and poor communication and NEVER enhances it, has seeped into and is now an entrenched part of our subculture from the written word, music, TV to film. This is entirely thanks to our public school system and the decision from on high that we need not spend near as much time as we used to teaching children how to properly speak, write and construct sentences in their own language in order they may minimize misunderstandings and make themselves more clearly understood by others -so we can spend more time on indoctrination instead. I cannot get past the nonstop poor grammar to give a damn about what they are actually saying or be bothered with trying to comprehend it -and having others comprehend what you said is the entire point of using proper grammar in the first place.

Federal government is the government of the STATES -not the individual. It is why the president is actually chosen by the states and not by a popular vote of the people. He is President of the United States -not the President of the People's Republic of America. But education involves the individual -not the states -which means federal government doesn't belong there.

Federal government does NOT own our children yet the public school system under federal control has only increasingly and ever more aggressively been stepping over the line and become an active participant in undermining the parent-child bond -which is critical for "proper" indoctrination. What kind of insane authority would insist the school cannot give my child a throat lozenge without parental authority -but is forbidden from informing me if that same child is pregnant? And is still forbidden from telling me even if my child was impregnated by an adult? And STILL forbidden from telling me if that predator takes MY child out of school to go have an abortion? Yet THAT is the kind of perversion in control of our public school system. The Department of Education was officially turned into the political tool it is today by Jimmy Carter -another far leftwinger who saw it as a means for the political indoctrination of children and promotion of the leftwing political and social agenda. All in order to turn as many kids into the future useful idiots of the left. The Department of Education has been controlled by the left ever since Carter and they populate it from top to bottom. No matter who is President and no matter who is given the political appointment of its titular head it is at all times a leftwing institution that was never intended to exist for the benefit of children or for the purpose of improving the quality of education in this country. It now exists as the political tool of the left who firmly believe in the importance of grabbing children when they are young in order to churn out little raging, mindless liberals. The quality of education our kids receive has been steadily dropping ever since. Anytime that fact becomes a political issue the typical response of the left is we need to spend MORE money on school. What results in an increase in political indoctrination because they have more money to waste on it. The problem is not a lack of funds -it is the fact our educational system has been hijacked for political gain and perverted to become an institution for the exploitation of children instead. Our kids receive a far worse education than many nations that spend a fraction we do on education. But then -they actually spend it on education while we spend it on indoctrination.

Just one example. When George Bush was President, a short film was made by some leftwing extremist who took snippets of Bush's speeches where he stumbled across a word or said "uh" or "er" etc. -and NOTHING more. The entire film was Bush appearing to stutter like an idiot for 15 minutes and saying nothing coherent. This film was made available to PUBLIC MIDDLE SCHOOLS to show to CHILDREN. Many schools refused to show it but many DID show it to kids. What was its purpose? What morons believed public school was the proper place to show it and that 12 and 13 year old kids should see it? Who really benefits by encouraging CHILDREN to disrespect their President after being exploited like this? Of course ONLY a Republican President would be treated like this in public schools -at MY expense and that of every other taxpayer. But the exploitation of our kids doesn't stop there -it also done when children were instructed to pervert religious songs by substituting Jesus' name with Obama's instead and having even FIVE YEAR OLDS sings worship songs about Obama. All of it the exploitation and political indoctrination of CHILDREN -and just think -all at taxpayer expense whether they like it or not, whether they share those political opinions or not, whether they approve of the political and social agenda being rammed down our kids throats or not. Nothing like having the political power to force those who vigorously disagree with the politics to foot the bill for that bullshit anyway, is there. But it IS a page right out of the manifesto about how to create future useful idiots for the left.

Those controlling education don't give a shit about education and never did. They care about POLITICAL POWER, POLITICAL GAIN and the exploitation of children for those ends. I don't care who controls the federal Department of Education -in the hands of politicians it will ALWAYS end up being used as a political tool that promotes the political indoctrination of children. NOT their education. This is why the existence of the Department of Education has led to our children receiving a poorer education and NOT a better one as Jimmy Carter INSISTED would happen as the result of the federal government taking ever more control. No higher level of government than the state should be involved in any of the decisions regarding the education of our children with most decisions about it being made on the local level, ESPECIALLY by the parents of the children who attend that school.

It is WAY past time to dissolve the federal Department of Education.

Bush II obviously LOVED THE DoE given that he used it like a bludgeon on the STATE CONTROLLED AND FINANCED SCHOOLS.

No child left behind is a perfect example of the hypocracy of the right when they CLAIM that they want to limit FEDERAL government and or support STATE'S RIGHTS.

No Democrat has ever used the DoE to so radically interfer with schools, folks.

So ... Back to the point. If your in a state that is mismanaging it's education system, then there is nothing stopping from moving, except the desire to do so. Nothing is keeping you in a bad educational system except your own willingness to do something about it

How typical is that. Rather than try to fix the problem, run to a successful school and talk about how great the educational system is. :cuckoo:

Yeah, just what country needs, one room schools houses, classes taught in churches, and a literacy rate of 50%.
It didn't hurt Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Adams, Patrick Henry, Paul Revere, or Benjamin Franklin one bit.

Jefferson wanted free public schooling.for all.

Yeah Tommie was a real sweetheart.

Except if being a sweetheart caused him the slightest problem.

Then he could be a real dick.

Bush II obviously LOVED THE DoE given that he used it like a bludgeon on the STATE CONTROLLED AND FINANCED SCHOOLS.

No child left behind is a perfect example of the hypocracy of the right when they CLAIM that they want to limit FEDERAL government and or support STATE'S RIGHTS.

That's only an example of the hypocrisy of George Bush. Actually not because Bush was a RINO. He's a liberal Republican.

That's only an example of the hypocrisy of George Bush. Actually not because Bush was a RINO. He's a liberal Republican.

Complete horseshit. When Bush was in, I bet you were defending him to the hilt. I bet you were balls deep with your "liberals are shit" mentality and supporting Dubya all the fucking way.

You can't backtrack now like a little wimp.

Since the federal government has inserted itself between parents, students, teachers and the states the quality of education has been on a downward spiral. If the feds want to support education they should give block grants to states for use in a manner which they deem would be the best for their school districts. Besides, look at the billions we could save if all the Education Dept. bureaucrats salaries and benefits no longer had to be paid. It is a win win!

It didn't hurt Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Adams, Patrick Henry, Paul Revere, or Benjamin Franklin one bit.

women didn't vote then either. you think we should go back to that, too?

If your an typical example of a female voter, then the answer is "yes."

Might want to learn the difference between "your" and "you're" before you try to act intellectually superior, there Chief.

Oh? The DOE and AG. Depts. tell the schools what diet they must feed the children if they want aid in providing those meals. I have been out of school long before the DOE existed and the meals we had for lunch were just fine. It is not the meals served that are important to the DOE, it is control that they want. That makes the department un-american since the Constitution does not grant the federal government any controlling role in what has historically been the responsibility of states and local school boards. Our country did not become great and powerful because there was a DOE and federal government control. We did so because the education system was teaching the students the right things and great people and minds were derived from that system. My view is that what once was golden turns to dust when the federal government gets control over state and local perogatives.

Really?

Well then, who IS a good Republican in your opinion?

Here's the Senatorial votes of NCLB voting

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

You note an overwhelming support given to it by REPUBLICANS.

I count 43 YEAH votes from total of 46 the Republicans. Are they ALL LIBERALS, too?

You must feel about the GOP much the same way I feel about the DNC.

YEAs ---87Allard (R-CO)
Allen (R-VA)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Boxer (D-CA)
Breaux (D-LA)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burns (R-MT)
Byrd (D-WV)
Campbell (R-CO)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Chafee (R-RI)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Corzine (D-NJ)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
Daschle (D-SD)
DeWine (R-OH)
Dodd (D-CT)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Edwards (D-NC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Frist (R-TN)
Graham (D-FL)
Gramm (R-TX)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchinson (R-AR)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Inouye (D-HI)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Miller (D-GA)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nickles (R-OK)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Santorum (R-PA)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-NH)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Thomas (R-WY)
Thompson (R-TN)
Thurmond (R-SC)
Torricelli (D-NJ)
Warner (R-VA)
Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---10Bennett (R-UT)
Dayton (D-MN)
Feingold (D-WI)
Hagel (R-NE)
Hollings (D-SC)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Leahy (D-VT)
Nelson (D-NE)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Wellstone (D-MN)

Not Voting - 3

That's only an example of the hypocrisy of George Bush. Actually not, because Bush was a RINO. He's a liberal Republican.

Complete horseshit. When Bush was in, I bet you were defending him to the hilt. I bet you were balls deep with your "liberals are shit" mentality and supporting Dubya all the fucking way.

You can't backtrack now like a little wimp.

I never defended his NCLB policy. I also opposed his prescritpion drug policy. Bush was a tax-and-spend liberal. He expanded government as fast as any liberal except Obama.

women didn't vote then either. you think we should go back to that, too?

Might want to learn the difference between "your" and "you're" before you try to act intellectually superior, there Chief.

I know the difference, numskull. You can always count on a liberal to harp on technical gaffs when they can't win an argument with facts and logic.

Really?

Well then, who IS a good Republican in your opinion?

Here's the Senatorial votes of NCLB voting

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

You note an overwhelming support given to it by REPUBLICANS.

I count 43 YEAH votes from total of 46 the Republicans. Are they ALL LIBERALS, too?

You must feel about the GOP much the same way I feel about the DNC.

YEAs ---87Allard (R-CO)
Allen (R-VA)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Boxer (D-CA)
Breaux (D-LA)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burns (R-MT)
Byrd (D-WV)
Campbell (R-CO)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Chafee (R-RI)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Corzine (D-NJ)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
Daschle (D-SD)
DeWine (R-OH)
Dodd (D-CT)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Edwards (D-NC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Frist (R-TN)
Graham (D-FL)
Gramm (R-TX)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchinson (R-AR)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Inouye (D-HI)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Miller (D-GA)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nickles (R-OK)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Santorum (R-PA)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-NH)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Thomas (R-WY)
Thompson (R-TN)
Thurmond (R-SC)
Torricelli (D-NJ)
Warner (R-VA)
Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---10Bennett (R-UT)
Dayton (D-MN)
Feingold (D-WI)
Hagel (R-NE)
Hollings (D-SC)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Leahy (D-VT)
Nelson (D-NE)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Wellstone (D-MN)

Not Voting - 3

NCLB was another one of those government meddling things that had a noble sounding title and the best of intentions but resulted in unintended negative consequences.

But until it was tried, it did look good on paper. It received overwhelming bipartisan support--I believe only two democrats voted against it in the Senate along with six Republicans; everybody else was a yea--and was co-authored on a bipartisan basis in the Senate and House: Representatives John Boehner (R-OH), George Miller (D-CA), and Senators Edward Kennedyand Judd Gregg (R-NH). (The House vote was 384 yea - 45 nea with 10 Democrats opposing; 35 Republicans opposing.)

For anybody to make that a partisan thing, they would have to be a partisan fanatic.

Initially NCLB yielded some good things. The disparity between minority scores and 'all white' scores narrowed significantly. Many schools did measurably improve and SAT scores were showing it. Eventually it did hit a plateau though when no further improvement seemed to be happening. Good schools were being negged for minor infractions when overall they were doing a much better job. Both teachers and parents were seeing a downside to 'teaching to the test' and there was too much temptation to cheat and rig scores.

People like me opposed further federal government intervention in the schools, but once it passed were willing to give it a chance. It has had its chance. And it now needs to go away along with ALL federal government interference in education.

I know the difference, numskull. You can always count on a liberal to harp on technical gaffs when they can't win an argument with facts and logic.

You'll notice I addressed the meat in a separate post than your "technical gaffe".

Typing "you're" instead of "your" isn't a technical gaffe though. Even if you're typing really quickly...that's not just a one keystroke difference. It's 3 - 're. (We can quibble about the "r" but it's still not in the correct place.

Of course you give self-serving answers in regards to the first post. We'll never really know the truth. See when you're so blindly anti ...well anti-anything...you posts can't be trusted. You don't post based on truth...you post on blind partisan hatred. If you were someone who conceded things in an attempt to be objective, perhaps I'd believe you.

Hint: Here's the part where you should claim I can't prove my assertion. I can't, of course. But that doesn't mean it's not true...based on your track record on objectivity.

Forum List

Back