Do you support abolishing the Federal Dept of Education?

Do you support abolishing the Fed Dept of Ed in favor of Parents and the States?

• Yes

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
What protection am I denying them? Their right to live in a poor mismanaged state if they so choose?

Poor people can't just pick up and move anywhere and at anytime. Even if they did, how does that make America stronger compared to the rest of the worlds education system. Let me guess, that doesn't matter, right?

But they can make things better than they are. If they choose to live in ignorance, we have a constitution that gives them that right. Or if you are really concerned, go help them yourself. The Federal government has only made the situation much much worse.

No they haven't. Why does your side keep saying this without proof. Crying that things were better isn't proof. You show me how education was so kickass before the DoE.

@ fire

You're just being a troll. Even if someone has an xbox that has nothing to do with moving, finding another job, placing kids in schools etc. If you are going to pretend to be serious don't make your trolling so blatant.

And the ones that can't move? What about them?

Oh wait, they're poor, so you don't care about them.
They can home school.

Oh wait, liberoidals don't believe that anyone but NEA/AFT union minions are capable of teaching the chilluns.

so home school. The parents still have to meet local and state standards for education...

oh..you thought you made a good point, but once again you came up short.
So then there's still no need fore a federal Department of Edumacation.

oh..you thought you made a good point, but once again you came up short.

Yeah, just what country needs, one room schools houses, classes taught in churches, and a literacy rate of 50%.

In the days of the one room school house this country had a literacy rate of over 90%

:eusa_eh:

What are you, stupid?

http://nces.ed.gov/NAAL/lit_history.asp

Percentage of persons 14 years old and over who were illiterate (unable to read or write in any language), by race and nativity: 1870 to 1979
1870 = 20%
1920 = 6%
1979 = 0.6%

In the hundred years preceeding the appearance of DOE, almost everyone became literate.

Gee How did this happen without the DOE?

Last edited:
@ fire

You're just being a troll. Even if someone has an xbox that has nothing to do with moving, finding another job, placing kids in schools etc. If you are going to pretend to be serious don't make your trolling so blatant.

Troll? Really?

I was a member of the poor for about 12 years. I moved for St Louis to a small town in Texas for the sole purpose of the local scholl system (1 teacher, 2 assistant teachers and 10 kids in a class room ... Lots of personallized teaching ... This was before NCLB)

I know exactly what it takes for the poor to move. A will to do so.

If your poor, your don't have a 100k job that is hard to replace, you work the fry station at micky d's, and they are always hiring, no matter where in the country you move to.

When your poor, paying rent is optional, as are utilities. You skip the rent payment and utility payments and collect your meager paycheck for a month and save what you can, then next month as utitities are shut off, you move. Every state and most even modist size towns have housing for the poor, you can find a place easy.

It FAR FAR easier for the poor to move, then for someone that is attached to a good job with benifits.

I know what I'm talking about, I've worn those shoes and have worn tread off of them

My Mother went to a one room school house.
She kept some of the text books that they were using back then in the 40's.
They make the text books that they use today for our kids, look like comic books compared to the ones used in the 30' and 40's.
She got a very good and well rounded education in a one room school house.

@ fire

And when they try to move after stiffing their former landlords their rental history will be so great they move anywhere they want. Oh wait, landlords do background checks so that won't work. Btw, your answer is to stiff every bill and everything will be fine. Lol yeah, that palm is fool proof.

@ fire

And when they try to move after stiffing their former landlords their rental history will be so great they move anywhere they want. Oh wait, landlords do background checks so that won't work. Btw, your answer is to stiff every bill and everything will be fine. Lol yeah, that palm is fool proof.

I'm sorry if the way things are for the poor is unsavory for you. Landlords for low rent properties don't do background checks. It's not worth it, they know what they are getting in the first place. They are hoping to find a renter to simply pay the rent "on time" is something that people that rent out nice places are worried about. Low income renters just want rent as often as they can get it.

I'm sorry if the poor don't have it as good as you think, but then not all of us have had to walk inthose shoes

So ... Back to the point. If your in a state that is mismanaging it's education system, then there is nothing stopping from moving, except the desire to do so. Nothing is keeping you in a bad educational system except your own willingness to do something about it

So ... Back to the point. If your in a state that is mismanaging it's education system, then there is nothing stopping from moving, except the desire to do so. Nothing is keeping you in a bad educational system except your own willingness to do something about it

You don't need to move if you think your state is "mis-managing its educational system."

First, there is really only one "State" educational system: Hawaii.

All other public education is really accomplished on the local level, and on the local level, there are options: Drive your kid to another school within or without the district, start a charter school, or begin a voucher system. If you have the means to move to another state, then you have the option of sending your kid to private school, which would seem to be the cheaper option.

Schools get state and fed money for every child that is in a desk for so many of the avalible days. This money is not "free" it comes with strings, such as removing "under God" from pledge and banning the pre kickoff prayer for a game without injury because it offend some group or other

Dont be niave enough to believe that the money doesn't drive the system and that whom ever is supplying it calls the shots

Schools get state and fed money for every child that is in a desk for so many of the avalible days. This money is not "free" it comes with strings, such as removing "under God" from pledge and banning the pre kickoff prayer for a game without injury because it offend some group or other

Dont be niave enough to believe that the money doesn't drive the system and that whom ever is supplying it calls the shots

Well, don't take my word for it.

Simply go to your local district's webpage. The budget is public. You will find that the vast majority of the budget is based on LOCAL TAXES.

However, you have a point: Let's imagine that your income is $100,000/year, but if you let an illegal mexican kid live with you, the feds would give you $10,000/year. Only a 10% difference in your income, but still maybe enought to make the proposition worthwhile....especially if he/she would mow the lawn.

SChool systems don't run a surpluse, they spend every dime they get. In the school system that I moved to in Texas, it was extremely well run.

Then fed and state comes in and gives money to these "exceptional schools" because they are doing so well ... Free money as it were

A few years later after the bugets are set up with the new moneys, "hey, why don't you make a class called 'social awareness' to teach your studants about the rights of people different from them"

Then a few years later "you know, the pledge, it really doesn't mean that much, just take out those simple words"

if they don't, it crashes the budget because, as you said it locally paid for the most part, local taxes can't keep pace with fed money

The fed uses it's money like crack ... Get you addicted, then impose it's ideas on a more then willing subject

The fed uses it's money like crack ... Get you addicted, then impose it's ideas on a more then willing subject

Hey, it is the LOCAL district that accepts state and federal funding.

You and I elect members of the school board.

You wanna pay higher local taxes to make-up for lost state and federal funding so your kid can recite the pledge? Frankly, I'd rather not. If I want my kids to recite the pledge every day, then there's nothing keeping me from having them do it at home: a much less expensive solution.

Ronnie Ray-gun refused to close the Dept of Education when Congress tried during his watch.

I guess the Cowboy from Cucamonga doesn't hold the authority he used to anymore.

Not taking the money is always an option, I prefer to jail the drug dealer instead.

It's not cheaper, because the fed and state are still going to spend the money. That's why they DOE should be trashed. It's drain on the economy is NOT cheap

Not taking the money is always an option, I prefer to jail the drug dealer instead.

It's not cheaper, because the fed and state are still going to spend the money. That's why they DOE should be trashed. It's drain on the economy is NOT cheap

Indeed, this is the beauty of the Federal Government.

Unlike your local school district, they can simply print more money.

What they print devalues the money in my
pocket ... It's a no win, the DOE has failed by every measuring stick used, trash it in favor of something better

Forum List

Back