Death-Penalty Eligible....

Sydney in recent times had a spate of one punch "coward-punch" assaults that ended in death, and serious brain damage of the victims...resulting in a change in the law.
No death penalty though...that was abolished decades ago.

That is exactly my point.

I'd appreciate a link or two.

Sure...

Thomas Kelly case: Kieran Loveridge gets more jail time over one-punch death - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

An appeal has succeeded in nearly doubling the prison sentence given to Sydney man Kieran Loveridge for the one-punch death of teenager Thomas Kelly and several assaults on the same night.

Mr Kelly, 18, died after being randomly punched by Loveridge as he walked with his girlfriend in Kings Cross in July 2012.

#####

One punch can kill.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Michael McEwen assault: Kariong man charged over Bondi bashing

Michael McEwen leaves St Vincent's Hospital with his father, Robert. Photo: Dean Sewell

The arrest came on the same day that Mr McEwen, 23, underwent surgery to reattach a piece of his skull.

The IT consultant spent several days in an induced coma with critical head injuries after the assault outside a beachside kebab store at the intersection of Campbell Parade and Roscoe Streets.

He underwent emergency surgery at the time to relieve the pressure on his brain, which included the removal of a piece of his skull. Mr McEwen has said he feared that he would never walk again. But, against all odds, he walked out of St Vincent's Hospital surrounded by family and friends in late January.

Mr McEwen's bashing came just weeks before Daniel Christie, 18, was fatally punched in Kings Cross.

Both tragedies have spurred the state government to take a tough stance against alcohol. It has introduced a mandatory eight-year sentence for intoxicated offenders who fatally punch a victim.

#####

Mandatory sentences, "unheard" of in Australia previously.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Teenager Daniel Christie dies from king hit

Teenager Daniel Christie has become Australia's 15th fatality from a king-hit punch in six years.

Mr Christie was taken off life support on Saturday at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital, where he had been in a coma since he was attacked on New Year's Eve in Kings Cross.

''This is the saddest announcement we can possibly make - that Daniel is no longer with us. Today, our beloved Daniel passed away in hospital, surrounded by his family and friends,'' his family said in a statement.

''While no words can describe how crushed we are, Daniel fought courageously over the past 11 days, which allowed everyone to say their farewells. It has also given us all strength and tightened even further the bond our family share.''

The attack, which left the 18-year-old with a fractured skull, occurred just metres from the site where Thomas Kelly, also 18, was fatally struck in 2012. Mr Kelly's death sparked a public outcry over alcohol-fuelled violence in Sydney.

#####

One punch can kill.

Last edited:
Umm, no.

To those with a brain - the stories in post #61 would have to be compared with all non-lethal punches and in comparison not be ruled "rare" as a result, to make me look like a 'dope.'

So far, your batting average is 1.000 for "looking like a dope."

Sydney in recent times had a spate of one punch "coward-punch" assaults that ended in death, and serious brain damage of the victims...resulting in a change in the law.
No death penalty though...that was abolished decades ago.

That is exactly my point.

I'd appreciate a link or two.

Sure...

Thomas Kelly case: Kieran Loveridge gets more jail time over one-punch death - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

An appeal has succeeded in nearly doubling the prison sentence given to Sydney man Kieran Loveridge for the one-punch death of teenager Thomas Kelly and several assaults on the same night.

Mr Kelly, 18, died after being randomly punched by Loveridge as he walked with his girlfriend in Kings Cross in July 2012.

#####

One punch can kill.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Michael McEwen assault: Kariong man charged over Bondi bashing

Michael McEwen leaves St Vincent's Hospital with his father, Robert. Photo: Dean Sewell

The arrest came on the same day that Mr McEwen, 23, underwent surgery to reattach a piece of his skull.

The IT consultant spent several days in an induced coma with critical head injuries after the assault outside a beachside kebab store at the intersection of Campbell Parade and Roscoe Streets.

He underwent emergency surgery at the time to relieve the pressure on his brain, which included the removal of a piece of his skull. Mr McEwen has said he feared that he would never walk again. But, against all odds, he walked out of St Vincent's Hospital surrounded by family and friends in late January.

Mr McEwen's bashing came just weeks before Daniel Christie, 18, was fatally punched in Kings Cross.

Both tragedies have spurred the state government to take a tough stance against alcohol. It has introduced a mandatory eight-year sentence for intoxicated offenders who fatally punch a victim.

#####

Mandatory sentences, "unheard" of in Australia previously.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Teenager Daniel Christie has become Australia's 15th fatality from a king-hit punch in six years.

Mr Christie was taken off life support on Saturday at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital, where he had been in a coma since he was attacked on New Year's Eve in Kings Cross.

''This is the saddest announcement we can possibly make - that Daniel is no longer with us. Today, our beloved Daniel passed away in hospital, surrounded by his family and friends,'' his family said in a statement.

''While no words can describe how crushed we are, Daniel fought courageously over the past 11 days, which allowed everyone to say their farewells. It has also given us all strength and tightened even further the bond our family share.''

The attack, which left the 18-year-old with a fractured skull, occurred just metres from the site where Thomas Kelly, also 18, was fatally struck in 2012. Mr Kelly's death sparked a public outcry over alcohol-fuelled violence in Sydney.

#####

One punch can kill.

Really sad, but even if the DP was still on the table in Australia, I would not consider an assault that ends in a tragic death to be a death penalty case, IMO.

That is just one of the issues I have with the DP here in the US, is how it is applied. In some states, it is not applied at all. In other states where death penalty is applicable, there seems to be no consistency in how it is applied. It seems as if, if the prosecutors think they can get a DP conviction, they will go for it.

Death penalty for a sucker punch? How about, no. Punches have, but it's really really really really really rare for a punch TO - kill someone.

actually it is really, really rare for an AR 15 to kill someone too. in fact they kill less than hands. yet the liberal freaks see fit to banning them

Death penalty for a sucker punch? How about, no. Punches have, but it's really really really really really rare for a punch TO - kill someone.

actually it is really, really rare for an AR 15 to kill someone too. in fact they kill less than hands. yet the liberal freaks see fit to banning them

If a shot from an AR 15 hits you in the face, and a punch hits you in the face, my money is on the AR for killing you.

But I'm not into banning guns, or fists.

If a shot from an AR 15 hits you in the face, and a punch hits you in the face, my money is on the AR for killing you.

but the facts are, fists kill more people than AR's do. And the rights violating left is spending billions on a crusade to stip americnas of their rights

but the facts are, fists kill more people than AR's do. And the rights violating left is spending billions on a crusade to stip americnas of their rights

A lot of things kill more people than guns. It's because the left wing in this country has put their complete trust in the government to take care of them. They are like little babies. They don't fear their mother, aka the government. :lol:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es1yTuF-npg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es1yTuF-npg[/ame]

I'd venture to say, and again I'm not anti 2nd amendment, that in order to compare the two you'd include all guns not just Ar's in deaths per year. And guns destroy fists in that category.

He should have been kicked straight out of school and let it be known on his record it was for being a cowardly piece of shit - in exactly those words. Who would ever trust that kind of wuss as a teammate? What institution would want to be associated with a person of such low character?

I dare ya'....watch the vid two or three times....

"....an argument about hockey and football."

"Michigan wide receiver Csont'e York was suspended indefinitely after news broke that he was allegedly involved in an assault that took place on July 18. Now, the Ann Arbor police department has released video of York destroying a guy with a sucker punch outside of an Ann Arbor bar.

York is the guy in the fishing hat near the top of the frame. One of York's teammates, Da'Mario Jones, starts jawing with a guy as York very carefully sets up his shot and then just unloads on the poor bastard. The dude who got hit lost a tooth and broke his jaw in three places, which he had to have wired shut.

"According to the police report, this happened because of an argument about hockey and football. From MLive:

A witness described for police what happened after he and the victim left Scorekeepers.

"A group of people were arguing about football and hockey. Everyone was talking … crap. ... (The victim) was jaw-jacking. All (of a) sudden, the guy just came up and cold clocked (the victim)."
Michigan Wide Receiver Knocks Guy Out With Vicious Sucker Punch

Watch this a couple of times....and....the careful premeditation....and tell me why this animal doesn't deserve the death penalty....purely an accident that death did not occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASUdo445QZU

Seeing that cowardly sucker punch would induce rage in the meekest viewer. None-the-less I still think your draconian judgement is as barbarous as the act itself. Most cultures operate on the fundamental principle that "the punishment should fit the crime", a principle summarized in Deuteronomy by "life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." The lack of proportionality in your death sentence I imagine would even be unacceptable to proponents of Sharia. The thirst for revenge you exhibit in this case is understandable on a personal level, this kind of violent cowardly act is reprehensible, has no place in a civil society and should be punished to the full extent of the law. However in our Western attempt to construct a civil society the law must be seen to mete out justice, not emotion fueled revenge. Perhaps your punishment for this heinous crime would be acceptable in a brutal regime such as North Korea.

Last edited:
I dare ya'....watch the vid two or three times....

"....an argument about hockey and football."

"Michigan wide receiver Csont'e York was suspended indefinitely after news broke that he was allegedly involved in an assault that took place on July 18. Now, the Ann Arbor police department has released video of York destroying a guy with a sucker punch outside of an Ann Arbor bar.

York is the guy in the fishing hat near the top of the frame. One of York's teammates, Da'Mario Jones, starts jawing with a guy as York very carefully sets up his shot and then just unloads on the poor bastard. The dude who got hit lost a tooth and broke his jaw in three places, which he had to have wired shut.

"According to the police report, this happened because of an argument about hockey and football. From MLive:

A witness described for police what happened after he and the victim left Scorekeepers.

"A group of people were arguing about football and hockey. Everyone was talking … crap. ... (The victim) was jaw-jacking. All (of a) sudden, the guy just came up and cold clocked (the victim)."
Michigan Wide Receiver Knocks Guy Out With Vicious Sucker Punch

Watch this a couple of times....and....the careful premeditation....and tell me why this animal doesn't deserve the death penalty....purely an accident that death did not occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASUdo445QZU

Seeing that cowardly sucker punch would induce rage in the meekest viewer. None-the-less I still think your draconian judgement is as barbarous as the act itself. Most cultures operate on the fundamental principle that "the punishment should fit the crime", a principle summarized in Deuteronomy by "life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." The lack of proportionality in your death sentence I imagine would even be unacceptable to proponents of Sharia. The thirst for revenge you exhibit in this case is understandable on a personal level, this kind of violent cowardly act is reprehensible, has no place in a civil society and should be punished to the full extent of the law. However in our Western attempt to construct a civil society the law must be seen to mete out justice, not emotion fueled revenge. Perhaps your punishment for this heinous crime would be acceptable in a brutal regime such as North Korea.

Smedley....buried in that haystack I spy a needle of hope for you.

"the punishment should fit the crime" ...I see no reason to mitigate punishment merely because the monster didn't quite accomplish his aim.

Three hots and a cot merely sends the message 'better luck next time.'

I feel certain that, if you continue to study my posts, I will eventually be able to count on your vote in my quest to become Queen of this great nation.
The phrase 'manifest destiny' comes to mind.

Last edited:
Too bad what you assume was his aim is merely speculation and not admissible.

"Two Amish girls who were kidnapped this week were sexually assaulted during the 24 hours they were held captive, law enforcement officials told the Los Angeles Times on Saturday.

St. Lawrence County Dist. Atty. Mary Rain said the victims, a 12-year-old girl and her 6-year-old sister, suffered the assaults after they were abducted near their family's home in Heuvelton, N.Y., on Wednesday."
Kidnapped Amish girls in N.Y. were sexually assaulted, D.A. says - LA Times

Death penalty.

What I assume his intent was is irrelevant.

The point is, you dont "assume" intent, and convict based upon assumption retard.

But to answer what my assumption WOULD be? Id assume his intent would be to knock her out to impress his buddies.

If he wanted to kill her, a gun or knife seems a much more obvious approach dumb dumb.

Forum List

Back