Cooking pork roast

Yeah I got two tuna steaks and two shark steaks from the food bank as well.
I have no freeking idea how to cook them, so they've been in the freezer. Don't know if they are still any good or not.
Probably still good if they are vacuum sealed and it hasn't been too long. Don't know if I would go rare on food bank items that were already going past their sell by date. Cook that stuff completely and make the best tuna salad you ever had.

these came marinated in herbs and bacon
This is why it's pink. The bacon.

They use chemicals to "fix" the color in the bacon (not really curing salt anymore)...and the chemicals bleed over into the pork shoulder or loin and do the same thing. You cooked the pork into pot roast stage and it remained pink because of the bacon....just like ham will be pink.
There is no other color the meat will turn except for brown or black depending upon how much you burn it.

It's safe.

No, no bones.
I looked up cooking times based on the weight, online. They are 3 pounds each, so I put them in the crockpot for 1 hour on high to get them nice and hot, then put it on low for 7 hours. Then I just turned off the heat and left it like that overnight.
Put them in the airfryer oven to crunch them up, cause they were covered in bacon.

I thought the juice was all cooked out of them from the crockpot, but apparently not. Still super freeking juicy falling apart.

Well, as least I know how to cook it for next time!!!!

No, no smoke rings. It was a "rolled" roast, it had herbs rolled up in it.
Sounds delicious!

I got 2 pork roasts from the food bank last week.

I put them in the crockpot for 8 hours and then in my airfryer oven for 1 1/2 hours to make em crunchy on the outside like the instructions said to.

I just got done cutting them up and putting it all in a container for the fridge, so I can eat off that all week.

My question is........

Is it SUPPOSED to be pink?

The only other time I cooked pork was years ago. I broiled some pork chops and they turned white.
And any time my granny made pork chops, they were white.

So did I not cook them long enough?

I mean, they literally fell off the freeking fork when I picked them up off the pan, I really didn't need to use a knife at all.
I know beef is done when that happens, but pork? I know you're supposed to cook it REAL good.

So, thats my question...........does it need more cook time? Cause I've never seen pink pork meat before, unless it was raw.
Use a meat thermometer.

LOL! Sounds like i have work to do when i visit this site. When i go on break at work and want to see what stories are happening at USMB, i see unread messages in my PMs. If i answer them, then thats my break. If i dont answer them i get prodded to answer them. Im too lazy for that these days, lol.
excuses, excuses, i'm tired of excuses. maybe if Sage Northcutt was my ground-and-pound buddy, i'd have no need to be your bro and i'd dump you on the spot (just joking!)

TNHarley drives me nuts the same way. he likes all these amazing metal bands, has great taste in music, when i send him a Nashville tour date to go to the concert, he makes all these excuses: "oh, no, it's a weekday, i have work to do!" LAME! NO MORE EXCUUUUUUUUSES!

No, no bones.
I looked up cooking times based on the weight, online. They are 3 pounds each, so I put them in the crockpot for 1 hour on high to get them nice and hot, then put it on low for 7 hours. Then I just turned off the heat and left it like that overnight.
Put them in the airfryer oven to crunch them up, cause they were covered in bacon.

I thought the juice was all cooked out of them from the crockpot, but apparently not. Still super freeking juicy falling apart.

Well, as least I know how to cook it for next time!!!!

No, no smoke rings. It was a "rolled" roast, it had herbs rolled up in it.

Rolled pork roast! You must have a damned good food bank!

I remember one in Seattle where we got top shelf whole cheesecakes, but I don't remember any really wonderful cuts of meat. But this was a very long time ago -- 40 years.

Enjoy it, sweetie!

This is why it's pink. The bacon.

They use chemicals to "fix" the color in the bacon (not really curing salt anymore)...and the chemicals bleed over into the pork shoulder or loin and do the same thing. You cooked the pork into pot roast stage and it remained pink because of the bacon....just like ham will be pink.
There is no other color the meat will turn except for brown or black depending upon how much you burn it.

It's safe.
Pork meat turns white, brah. White.

I learned about something yesterday. Take a pork tenderloin and slice it then hammer it out and bread it, and make it like a country fried steak.

I learned about something yesterday. Take a pork tenderloin and slice it then hammer it out and bread it, and make it like a country fried steak.

Pork cutlets! My grandma's used to be the best!

Then I grew up and started doing pork cutlets with no breading, cooked with pears and aromatics and served on a bed of quinoa. Not quite grandma's pork cutlets but still yummy.

Ham and bacon are pink....try again.

You've never smoked pork tenderloins.
Yes,
Even made Canadian bacon which is the entire loin section cured and smoked.

The chemicals in "smoke" also fix the color in pork, chicken, and beef...(duck & turkey too)

Yes,
Even made Canadian bacon which is the entire loin section cured and smoked.

The chemicals in "smoke" also fix the color in pork, chicken, and beef...(duck & turkey too)
Dude; If you smoke a pork tenderloin; It comes out with pink around the edges.

If you roast it in the oven at the same temp, it will be pretty much white.

Forum List

Back