Cooking pork roast

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I got 2 pork roasts from the food bank last week.

I put them in the crockpot for 8 hours and then in my airfryer oven for 1 1/2 hours to make em crunchy on the outside like the instructions said to.

I just got done cutting them up and putting it all in a container for the fridge, so I can eat off that all week.

My question is........

Is it SUPPOSED to be pink?

The only other time I cooked pork was years ago. I broiled some pork chops and they turned white.
And any time my granny made pork chops, they were white.

So did I not cook them long enough?

I mean, they literally fell off the freeking fork when I picked them up off the pan, I really didn't need to use a knife at all.
I know beef is done when that happens, but pork? I know you're supposed to cook it REAL good.

So, thats my question...........does it need more cook time? Cause I've never seen pink pork meat before, unless it was raw.

I put them in the crockpot for 8 hours and then in my airfryer oven for 1 1/2 hours to make em crunchy on the outside like the instructions said to.

I just got done cutting them up and putting it all in a container for the fridge, so I can eat off that all week.

My question is........

The only other time I cooked pork was years ago. I broiled some pork chops and they turned white.

I mean, they literally fell off the freeking fork when I picked them up off the pan, I really didn't need to use a knife at all.
I know beef is done when that happens, but pork? I know you're supposed to cook it REAL good.

So, thats my question...........does it need more cook time? Cause I've never seen pink pork meat before, unless it was raw.

I've seen some of the hot shots on Food Network talk about cooking pork with a little pink. I've never done it . This is where a meat thermometer might come in handy.

This diagram makes me think a little pink is okay.
iu

Sure would be a bitch to waste pork loin!

I once water smoked/steamed a turkey in a bullet-shaped smoker with soaked woodchips in the 1970s, it was pink on the inside and black on the outside...

It's fine. Sometimes the middle stays pink because no oxygen got to the meat during cooking.
It's also a fact that pork can now be eaten rare. They are not rife with parasites like they once were because they are not raised in their own filth anymore. I have an aversion to raw pork like anyone else but the worry of gut parasites from undercooked pork is a thing of the past.

My question is........

Are they bone in pork roasts? If the meat is falling apart, its completely cooked. 8 hours sounds like plenty of time to cook it all the way through, even on low. Its always pink when i cook it, but im smoking the meat, so pink is expected.

Is the pink on the outside of the meat, just beneath the crusty edge, as opposed to the center? Im not sure if air fryers make pink "smoke rings", but if the pink is at the edge, then yeah, its all good. If its pink consistently throughout the meat, you are also good. Again, if its falling apart, its completely cooked.

Last edited:
Are they bone in pork roasts? If they meat is falling apart, its completely cooked. 8 hours sounds like plenty of time to cook it all the way through.
CHECK YOUR DM'S BROOOO

i swear no more silliness and countless posts, just focused UFC stuff, cats, bikes, and some politics! quality over quantity!

Are they bone in pork roasts? If the meat is falling apart, its completely cooked. 8 hours sounds like plenty of time to cook it all the way through, even on low. Its always pink when i cook it, but im smoking the meat, so pink is expected.

Is the pink on the outside of the meat, just beneath the crusty edge, as opposed to the center? Im not sure if air fryers make pink "smoke rings", but if the pink is at the edge, then yeah, its all good. If its pink consistently throughout the meat, you are also good. Again, if its falling apart, its completely cooked.

Pink is okay in pork, unlike years ago when they told you to cook it until it hit 170ºF. They then dropped that to 160º and now 145º as long as it holds at that for 3 minutes.

Only ground pork needs higher temps of 160ºF, and that includes sausages, but no holding is needed for that.

CHECK YOUR DM'S BROOOO

i swear no more silliness and countless posts, just focused UFC stuff, cats, bikes, and some politics! quality over quantity!
LOL! Sounds like i have work to do when i visit this site. When i go on break at work and want to see what stories are happening at USMB, i see unread messages in my PMs. If i answer them, then thats my break. If i dont answer them i get prodded to answer them. Im too lazy for that these days, lol.

It's also a fact that pork can now be eaten rare. They are not rife with parasites like they once were because they are not raised in their own filth anymore. I have an aversion to raw pork like anyone else but the worry of gut parasites from undercooked pork is a thing of the past.

Well, I don't like raw meat, rare meat, or even medium meat. I like it well done, but JUST.
For beef, that little tinge of pink is perfect. I haven't cooked enough pork in my life to judge whats well done or not.........other than bacon. Which I like hard and crunchy.

No, no bones.
I looked up cooking times based on the weight, online. They are 3 pounds each, so I put them in the crockpot for 1 hour on high to get them nice and hot, then put it on low for 7 hours. Then I just turned off the heat and left it like that overnight.
Put them in the airfryer oven to crunch them up, cause they were covered in bacon.

I thought the juice was all cooked out of them from the crockpot, but apparently not. Still super freeking juicy falling apart.

Well, as least I know how to cook it for next time!!!!

No, no smoke rings. It was a "rolled" roast, it had herbs rolled up in it.

My question is........

Pink is good, if you like ..smoked it for 8 hrs or something like that.

Yeah. Mmm.
Seems to me like you did it right..fall apart..pink..all good! :D

Then where I'm at is getting in between falling apart and able to slice into steaks. That requires some clock watching.
It also makes it juicier.

Well, I don't like raw meat, rare meat, or even medium meat. I like it well done, but JUST.
For beef, that little tinge of pink is perfect. I haven't cooked enough pork in my life to judge whats well done or not.........other than bacon. Which I like hard and crunchy.
The thing that will absolutely blow your mind is a rare grilled tuna steak. I didn't think I would like it but I've never eaten a land animal that tasted that good.

My question is........

165 internal temperature. Problem solved...try dollar store. Buy 3. 2 of them might not work
MDSGA !

The thing that will absolutely blow your mind is a rare grilled tuna steak. I didn't think I would like it but I've never eaten a land animal that tasted that good.

Yeah I got two tuna steaks and two shark steaks from the food bank as well.
I have no freeking idea how to cook them, so they've been in the freezer. Don't know if they are still any good or not.

Forum List

Back