Heavy Snow, Lost Power, sh*t hits the fan, Trial Run!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
Ok, so I was up early, Matt still sound asleep, around 7am we lost power, as predicted we would... in this heavy snow event! Before we lost power, news said 160,000 plus home outages reported, had already lost power.....just know... that's like 10% PLUS of the state's population!

We lost electric about a week ago for a day and we had fun pulling out all of our emergency gadgets and tested them all out....well...not all of them, but a good deal of them... the new ones we got for Christmas gifts.... A new butane stove, an addition to the propane stove.... And I love it....though I ended up having to wake Matt up to get it started this morning to make COFFEE, of which was not appreciated initially by Matt..... Oops....:). He had showed me how to put it together and do it last week but....I couldn't remember! :(

Matt got this electric charge power statIon for Christmas, which I hooked up the internet and my Kindles to keep them charged, we have meals in a bag that I've pre made.... We have the gas buddy and propane for heat, about 6 -3 gallon jugs to flush the toilets.....I want to get one or those fold up port a potties for camping so we don't have to haul in water, and kitty litter to use in the port a potty bag perhaps? I also want another butane stove....

Well, one big problem this time is, we just got a new metal roof....we used to have a cedar shingle roof, and with the pitch of this Cape Cod cottage, it was sure to shed the snow, but at a slower pace and more controlled....

Holy Crap! This heavy snow...about 6 to 8 inches so far, sliding off this metal roof at a very very very fast speed could kill someone! :eek:

anyway, the problem.... We could not get out either glass storm door, not the front or back because hard packed, wet snow was blocking it and with all strength could not get them opened. Matt had rotator cuff surgery so he had to get down on the floor and push the glass door with his feet, inch by inch until he could get it opened enough to sliver through, to shovel....

The generator is in the shed, he's trying to make it there to pull it out and get it started....

Oh crap crap crap, we just lost internet, so I won't be sending this message....

Can't get a data connection on the phone either, right now....bummer! Guess it's time to cook omelettes!

Yummy, omelettes were awesome....

Land phone line is out also! Uh oh....

Guess it's time for me to finish crocheting that afghan for my neighbor, and Matt to play his guitar! :)

Yay! It came back up....still no power though....could be days....

1712251803843.png

Events
Customers Affected

it's been a day....... :rolleyes: ~S~

Ok, so I was up early, Matt still sound asleep, around 7am we lost power, as predicted we would... in this heavy snow event! Before we lost power, news said 160,000 plus home outages reported, had already lost power.....just know... that's like 10% PLUS of the state's population!

We lost electric about a week ago for a day and we had fun pulling out all of our emergency gadgets and tested them all out....well...not all of them, but a good deal of them... the new ones we got for Christmas gifts.... A new butane stove, an addition to the propane stove.... And I love it....though I ended up having to wake Matt up to get it started this morning to make COFFEE, of which was not appreciated initially by Matt..... Oops....:). He had showed me how to put it together and do it last week but....I couldn't remember! :(

Matt got this electric charge power statIon for Christmas, which I hooked up the internet and my Kindles to keep them charged, we have meals in a bag that I've pre made.... We have the gas buddy and propane for heat, about 6 -3 gallon jugs to flush the toilets.....I want to get one or those fold up port a potties for camping so we don't have to haul in water, and kitty litter to use in the port a potty bag perhaps? I also want another butane stove....

Well, one big problem this time is, we just got a new metal roof....we used to have a cedar shingle roof, and with the pitch of this Cape Cod cottage, it was sure to shed the snow, but at a slower pace and more controlled....

Holy Crap! This heavy snow...about 6 to 8 inches so far, sliding off this metal roof at a very very very fast speed could kill someone! :eek:

anyway, the problem.... We could not get out either glass storm door, not the front or back because hard packed, wet snow was blocking it and with all strength could not get them opened. Matt had rotator cuff surgery so he had to get down on the floor and push the glass door with his feet, inch by inch until he could get it opened enough to sliver through, to shovel....

The generator is in the shed, he's trying to make it there to pull it out and get it started....

Oh crap crap crap, we just lost internet, so I won't be sending this message....

Can't get a data connection on the phone either, right now....bummer! Guess it's time to cook omelettes!

Guess it's time for me to finish crocheting that afghan for my neighbor, and Matt to play his guitar! :)

This is the reason why you should have a generator that kicks on AUTOMATICALLY when the power goes out. You can get a fairly nice system for around 8,000 bucks, which includes a propane tank big enough to run the generator for about a week.

We are usually the last people to get up and running. In about a 5 square mile area, the electric company reported we had 59 homes, all down..... when we moved here there were 52 homes so, 7 new neighbors..... They won't even bother with us till they get those largely populated areas like in the city/town where they can get 1000 homes at a time, with one repair.....and brag on Tv that the electric company is working hard and Just connected 1000 homes, or 2000 homes blah blah blah....

Are you my twin? I can teach you how to make a nice inside toilet? I don't go out side when it's 20 below!
They call that - doing piss-i-cles

Last edited:
We are usually the last people to get up and running. In about a 5 square mile area, the electric company reported we had 59 homes, all down..... when we moved here there were 52 homes so, 7 new neighbors..... They won't even bother with us till they get those largely populated areas like in the city/town where they can get 1000 homes at a time, with one repair.....and brag on Tv that the electric company is working hard and Just connected 1000 homes, or 2000 homes blah blah blah....
we're usually the last to come back on line central maine. so far-
We haven't lost it yet! The neighbors joke- we live on the bad side of town- 26 of us. never fails! LOL

I had an EF0 tornado fly by near my house at 3:50 am yesterday morning. I think it was part of the same system, but the very southern tip of it. The NWS confirmed it today. Fortunately, no damage at my house. A couple miles down the road there was some limbs blown down, a traffic light knocked over, and power outages.

I mean, you can’t really blame them for hitting the tiny populations last. It just makes the most sense logistically.

It was trade off you made when you chose to live in a remote, unpopulated area

This made me think... Hmmmm...

We have an electric garage door opener. It has a release cable and you can lift the door without the motor engaged. Use a lever to get it started if needed.

The other thing is our person door on the exterior wall of the garage actually opens inward.

👼

WW

I have six neighbors within a mile of us. Guess what, we are even more on our own than you are.

We used to just drop one of the kids out a second story window. Now they're grown and gone, but it doesn't snow here anymore like it used to. Haven't mounted my home made snow plow on the Kubota in years. A little shoveling never killed anybody. Right? o_O

This made me think... Hmmmm...

We have an electric garage door opener. It has a release cable and you can lift the door without the motor engaged. Use a lever to get it started if needed.

The other thing is our person door on the exterior wall of the garage actually opens inward.

👼

WW
Our doors to the home open inward, the storm doors open outward!

Our doors to the home open inward, the storm doors open outward!

I'm originally from upstate New York. Our storm doors were the same. I was mentioning an additional door in the garage from the garage to the outside. Here (and there) this wasn't a heated space so didn't have a storm door.

:)

WW

Sounds like you need some "snowbirds" installed.

OIP.9dy3l2daViy9i-86dp3Q3wHaE8

BTW....Do you have gutters? I've read where a lot of folks up north don't have them due to the snow.
The first time I ever noticed those was on the way home Tuesday from the doctor....Lots of the metal roof homes had them....! I was wondering what they were....and thought they could be for snow....but wasn't certain.....this metal roof thing is all new to us!

without global warming it would have been much colder and more snow.

Forum List

Back