Sous vide hamburger patties...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
My g-d, how I've missed good burgers.

Back not too long ago when you ordered a burger, the waitress would ask "how do you want it?"

Medium rare!

Can't hardly do that anymore with ground beef due to E. Coli.

The E. Coli contaminated exterior of beef cuts becomes the inside when it is ground. Some people takes their chances, but now you don't have too.

Using sous vide you can trade time at a lower cooking temp to create safe, tender delicious thick burgers.

Internal temps as low as 125°F are safe from E. Coli, salmonella and other food borne bacteria when the meat is cooked for an hour at that temperature.

Here is an article from WaPo that generally explains the mechanics... That food borne bacteria is killed in less than a second at 155° while it takes about eight minutes at 140°.

I've had this ninja speedi with sous vide function for five or six months and sous vide cooking is unexpectedly simple.

Literally set it and forget it.

You can even do frozen patties, steaks or chops...it just takes longer.

And you don't really have to worry about time. You have a window...40 minutes to four hours or more for fresh (my directions say double bag if you're going over four), maybe an hour and a half to six hours for frozen. At 8-10 hours your protein may change texture or get mushy.

Tonight I went 2.5 hours while I ran to the store and did some errands.

⅔ lbs burgers at 135°.

They barely shrank.

Pulled them out and seared them in a cast iron skillet for 30 seconds on each side at the highest temp my range top could muster...added cheese and let them rest while I butter toasted the buns.

I haven't had a better burger in a long time. I would say worth the effort...but there was remarkably little effort involved.

Here are some links.

Times and temps.

Not hamburger, but a video of the ease of sous vide...

I have a FoodSaver unit. I should use it to sous vide.
You know, I bought one, but I usually just use a freezer bag and the submersion method of removing air.

But yes...you should sous vide. It absolutely makes the most moist and flavorful, perfectly cooked everytime steaks, chops and chicken breast. I haven't tried bigger cuts yet ... but I can't see them being any different. Just takes longer.

And!

As a bonus, you are left with all the concentrated juices to make sauces and gravies from. :thup:

Back not too long ago when you ordered a burger, the waitress would ask "how do you want it?"

Medium rare!

The E. Coli contaminated exterior of beef cuts becomes the inside when it is ground. Some people takes their chances, but now you don't have too.

Using sous vide you can trade time at a lower cooking temp to create safe, tender delicious thick burgers.

Internal temps as low as 125°F are safe from E. Coli, salmonella and other food borne bacteria when the meat is cooked for an hour at that temperature.

Here is an article from WaPo that generally explains the mechanics... That food borne bacteria is killed in less than a second at 155° while it takes about eight minutes at 140°.

I've had this ninja speedi with sous vide function for five or six months and sous vide cooking is unexpectedly simple.

And you don't really have to worry about time. You have a window...40 minutes to four hours or more for fresh (my directions say double bag if you're going over four), maybe an hour and a half to six hours for frozen. At 8-10 hours your protein may change texture or get mushy.

⅔ lbs burgers at 135°.

They barely shrank.

Pulled them out and seared them in a cast iron skillet for 30 seconds on each side at the highest temp my range top could muster...added cheese and let them rest while I butter toasted the buns.

I haven't had a better burger in a long time. I would say worth the effort...but there was remarkably little effort involved.

Here are some links.

Times and temps.

excellent.

now that my comrades have succeeded in implanting our weaponized bacteria we can proceed to the next step. government control of the food supply.

Medium rare!

⅔ lbs burgers at 135°.

They barely shrank.

Here are some links.

Times and temps.

giphy.gif

How Plastic Can Harm Your Health​

Plastic is everywhere, yet it often contains chemicals linked to reproductive harm, cancer risk, metabolic disease, and other issues

Do Plastic Chemicals Leach into Food From Sous Vide (SV) Cooking?​

RAPID RESPONSE QUESTION:

Can plastic chemicals used in a sous vide (SV) wrap product migrate into food during cooking? Are there any associated toxicity concerns?

Request by: a culinary school
1713158224056.png

What plastics and additives are used in SV pouches and wraps?

SV packaging suppliers have not been transparent about the additives found in their products. Also, no specifications or MSDS’ have been provided by manufacturers, or found online. Two manufacturers did disclose that their base resin materials are LDPE or LDPE/nylon layers.

One supplier, when asked, defensively stated, “Our material is FDA-approved, BPA and phthalate free.” First, BPA should not be found in film products, as the compound is used in rigid (#7) plastics. Second, calling a product “FDA-approved,”is a misnomer because, as explained above, the FDA does not approve products. Finally, listing a chemical on the FCS inventory does not guarantee its safety, and many of the FCS Notifications are chemicals of concern from a toxicity standpoint. It is unknown whether the limitations on use, as stipulated in each FCS, are tight enough to protect consumers from these chemicals of concern.

Another supplier claimed that their material is “100% LDPE.” However, LDPE requires additives to provide necessary functional attributes.​

Do chemicals migrate from the plastic during SV cooking?

"This answer to this question is unable to be confirmed due to lack of data and studies on migration of chemicals from plastics in simulated SV cooking conditions (e.g., 120 to 180 dF for an hour or more).

It has not been confirmed by the literature, but acidic or oily foods would conceivably increase the amount or concentration of any migration.

With suppliers unable to provide any information on these additives, and no existing studies on migration of contaminants specifically from SV packaging, uncertainty remains about any health impacts. Impacts of these chemicals depend on the amount of chemical migration from the plastic into the food during SV cooking, as well as their toxicity, and the susceptibility of anyone consuming the food cooked via SV.

A few studies may provide insight into the potential for migration from plastic during various cooking methods, and some of the health impacts. These are briefly described in Table 1 below. . . . "

Dude! An hour for a hamburger? Ay yi yi!

That's almost half the time it takes to do prime rib.

I'll take my chances with a pan and a lid. Pretty sure it gets hot enough that way, even if you want medium rare.

I want some ground beef so bad, but it's so expensive. :(

When I was a kid, we used to have it 3x a week at least.

Dude! An hour for a hamburger? Ay yi yi!

That's almost half the time it takes to do prime rib.

I'll take my chances with a pan and a lid. Pretty sure it gets hot enough that way, even if you want medium rare.
An hour of cook time, but the actual work time is 30 seconds of pouring water, seasoning and placing in a bag.

2.5 hours if you want 130° internal temps.

The rest is done by the machine.

Last edited:
OK then, die of the nastys in the half-cooked hamburger.

My wife's uncle died of eating half cooked deer liver. I remember him bragging on eating half-raw meat all the time.

Man invented fire for a reason. ;)
I don't think I'd eat a half cooked deer liver.🤢

Or steak tartar for that matter.

But a safe medium rare burger...oh yeah...it's worth the wait.

How Plastic Can Harm Your Health​

Plastic is everywhere, yet it often contains chemicals linked to reproductive harm, cancer risk, metabolic disease, and other issues

Do Plastic Chemicals Leach into Food From Sous Vide (SV) Cooking?​

RAPID RESPONSE QUESTION:

Can plastic chemicals used in a sous vide (SV) wrap product migrate into food during cooking? Are there any associated toxicity concerns?

Request by: a culinary school
View attachment 932345

What plastics and additives are used in SV pouches and wraps?

SV packaging suppliers have not been transparent about the additives found in their products. Also, no specifications or MSDS’ have been provided by manufacturers, or found online. Two manufacturers did disclose that their base resin materials are LDPE or LDPE/nylon layers.

One supplier, when asked, defensively stated, “Our material is FDA-approved, BPA and phthalate free.” First, BPA should not be found in film products, as the compound is used in rigid (#7) plastics. Second, calling a product “FDA-approved,”is a misnomer because, as explained above, the FDA does not approve products. Finally, listing a chemical on the FCS inventory does not guarantee its safety, and many of the FCS Notifications are chemicals of concern from a toxicity standpoint. It is unknown whether the limitations on use, as stipulated in each FCS, are tight enough to protect consumers from these chemicals of concern.

Another supplier claimed that their material is “100% LDPE.” However, LDPE requires additives to provide necessary functional attributes.​

Do chemicals migrate from the plastic during SV cooking?

"This answer to this question is unable to be confirmed due to lack of data and studies on migration of chemicals from plastics in simulated SV cooking conditions (e.g., 120 to 180 dF for an hour or more).

It has not been confirmed by the literature, but acidic or oily foods would conceivably increase the amount or concentration of any migration.

With suppliers unable to provide any information on these additives, and no existing studies on migration of contaminants specifically from SV packaging, uncertainty remains about any health impacts. Impacts of these chemicals depend on the amount of chemical migration from the plastic into the food during SV cooking, as well as their toxicity, and the susceptibility of anyone consuming the food cooked via SV.

A few studies may provide insight into the potential for migration from plastic during various cooking methods, and some of the health impacts. These are briefly described in Table 1 below. . . . "
I read the other day we're already full of micro-plastics...

He died very badly too.....All his internal organs got infected.

Fuck that noise. I want my steak Texas style....Burned on both sides and in the middle. ;)
Totally safe above 130°.

Screenshot_20240415-154652-575.png

Medium rare!

⅔ lbs burgers at 135°.

They barely shrank.

Here are some links.

Times and temps.

You can solve this problem by grinding your own.

Forum List

Back