Heavy Snow, Lost Power, sh*t hits the fan, Trial Run!

august, when all the climate alarmists come out of hibernation C4all.......~S~
During the one week of the year, that it might reach 90 degrees here, I too become one of those screaming global warming maniacs!!! I HATE really hot summer days. I didn't choose Maine over Florida because I like hot and sweaty days! :)

During the one week of the year, that it might reach 90 degrees here, I too become one of those screaming global warming maniacs!!! I HATE really hot summer days. I didn't choose Maine over Florida because I like hot and sweaty days! :)
yup, they're all out to save the planet , the latest being they outlawed plastic straws in Vermont
:rolleyes:
myself, i'm just not ready to make such a lofty sacrifice!
:cool:
~S~

yup, they're all out to save the planet , the latest being they outlawed plastic straws in Vermont
:rolleyes:
myself, i'm just not ready to make such a lofty sacrifice!
:cool:
~S~
When we first moved here, we heard over and over from the local guys, whenever we asked questions about a certain activity's legality....like, Is it legal to burn your fall leaves....can you have a bonfire in your yard, can I clear this area near the creek etc etc etc...? And over and over again, whatever guy I asked about anything, any where I was, the answer was: "Everything is legal in Maine, as long as you don't get caught!". 😁

The first time I ever noticed those was on the way home Tuesday from the doctor....Lots of the metal roof homes had them....! I was wondering what they were....and thought they could be for snow....but wasn't certain.....this metal roof thing is all new to us!
Yeah, your installer should have recommended them.

My grandparents had a metal roof on their home and had snowbirds like in the pic I posted.

Ok, so I was up early, Matt still sound asleep, around 7am we lost power, as predicted we would... in this heavy snow event! Before we lost power, news said 160,000 plus home outages reported, had already lost power.....just know... that's like 10% PLUS of the state's population!

We lost electric about a week ago for a day and we had fun pulling out all of our emergency gadgets and tested them all out....well...not all of them, but a good deal of them... the new ones we got for Christmas gifts.... A new butane stove, an addition to the propane stove.... And I love it....though I ended up having to wake Matt up to get it started this morning to make COFFEE, of which was not appreciated initially by Matt..... Oops....:). He had showed me how to put it together and do it last week but....I couldn't remember! :(

Matt got this electric charge power statIon for Christmas, which I hooked up the internet and my Kindles to keep them charged, we have meals in a bag that I've pre made.... We have the gas buddy and propane for heat, about 6 -3 gallon jugs to flush the toilets.....I want to get one or those fold up port a potties for camping so we don't have to haul in water, and kitty litter to use in the port a potty bag perhaps? I also want another butane stove....

Well, one big problem this time is, we just got a new metal roof....we used to have a cedar shingle roof, and with the pitch of this Cape Cod cottage, it was sure to shed the snow, but at a slower pace and more controlled....

Holy Crap! This heavy snow...about 6 to 8 inches so far, sliding off this metal roof at a very very very fast speed could kill someone! :eek:

anyway, the problem.... We could not get out either glass storm door, not the front or back because hard packed, wet snow was blocking it and with all strength could not get them opened. Matt had rotator cuff surgery so he had to get down on the floor and push the glass door with his feet, inch by inch until he could get it opened enough to sliver through, to shovel....

The generator is in the shed, he's trying to make it there to pull it out and get it started....

Oh crap crap crap, we just lost internet, so I won't be sending this message....

Can't get a data connection on the phone either, right now....bummer! Guess it's time to cook omelettes!

Yummy, omelettes were awesome....

Land phone line is out also! Uh oh....

Guess it's time for me to finish crocheting that afghan for my neighbor, and Matt to play his guitar! :)

Yay! It came back up....still no power though....could be days....
Oh, what a good deed to crochet an afghan for someone else. I make brown dishrags with #10 cotton thread and a steel 7 hook. It only takes a day or two apiece, but if you use brown thread, your buds can mop up the coffee off the morning kitchen counter, and they then don't have to worry about getting coffee stains off once-white dishrags. You deserve a big hug from your afghan gift recipients. :thup:

Forum List

Back