College Football Playoff picture

I don't have a dog in the fight so I'm going with UGA. IMO, Bama got a gift because of (2) things. Saban and they are Alabama

-Geaux
All 4 teams have a reason why they shouldn’t be there.

Meh.... but something needs changed. I just have a problem with having a team in the top-4 who did not win their conference. Yes, we look over that for the NCAA tournament but for some reason I feel different about CFB. Alabama has benefited twice from something like this... The first was when they lost to LSU in regular season, only to play LSU in the NC game. Albeit, that was the nail in the coffin for the old BCS system, and many argue, the reason the playoff system came to be

-Geaux

If you want to make winning your conference a requirement for making the playoffs, then change the rules to make it that way. There is a reason the conference championships are only part of the selection process.

And oddly enough, you answered my question of who should be #4 by saying Ohio State. A team with more losses than Bama and who got in the playoffs last year without winning their conference.

I don't have a dog in the fight so I'm going with UGA. IMO, Bama got a gift because of (2) things. Saban and they are Alabama

-Geaux

Meh.... but something needs changed. I just have a problem with having a team in the top-4 who did not win their conference. Yes, we look over that for the NCAA tournament but for some reason I feel different about CFB. Alabama has benefited twice from something like this... The first was when they lost to LSU in regular season, only to play LSU in the NC game. Albeit, that was the nail in the coffin for the old BCS system, and many argue, the reason the playoff system came to be

-Geaux
I can of agree with that. However, most conferences decide the winner of the conference when there is a tie in conference win/loses by who wins the head to head game. That is a quite arbitrary rule not really better than having a coin toss.

There are also many times when a conference championship has one team with a great record and the other has lost several games.

The entire season is what should be judged.

-Geaux

-Geaux
I can of agree with that. However, most conferences decide the winner of the conference when there is a tie in conference win/loses by who wins the head to head game. That is a quite arbitrary rule not really better than having a coin toss.

There are also many times when a conference championship has one team with a great record and the other has lost several games.

The entire season is what should be judged.
That would be another can of worms.

Each game played is a new event, and the previous records of the two teams playing may not accurately predict which team will be the best team on the field that day.

A perfect example for the error of making the conference championship a requirement is last year.

The SEC Championship was between 12-0 Alabama and 9-3 Florida. If Florida had won, does anyone out there think Florida was the best team, other than for a single game?

And Alabama would have been 12-1 (if we had lost to the Gators). That is the exact same record Clemson, Washington, and Ohio State had when they started the playoffs. But, according to some, the lack of a conference championship would have eliminated them. Based on a single game.

-Geaux

And who would you have put in at #4?

Ohio State

-Geaux

Yeah, they should get in because Urban Meyer and they are Ohio State, but the lost by getting their ass kicked by an unranked team.

And they got in last year without winning their conference. Funny how that works, isn't it?

auburn is a top notch school as well.

I graduated UGA in 1992 - used to be a running joke that Auburn was a backup school for kids that could not get into UGA

my son is going to Auburn
casty.gif

he has a 4.2 GPA & a true 33 on the ACT (34 with super score)

MOST of his friends (including his girlfriend) are going to Auburn

Alabama has a better academic reputation than Auburn; BUT crazy thing is - Auburn has tougher standards for scholarships (not sure about straight up admission standards)

the boy was offered a full ride to Bama & roughly 3/4 scholarship to Auburn - pretty sure he will make up the rest through other scholarships & grants, so no big deal...

I see people make fun of Auburn for academics & I just shake my head and laugh at them - they have absolutely stepped it up in that area in the last decade or so

Last edited:

-Geaux

Ohio State they got cheated

They wanted ratings and a Alabama vs Clemson rematch

The reason that will not happen is that OSU did not show up against Clemson last time around.

I suspect that if Bama performs like OSU did, in being shut out by 30 points, they won't make the playoffs next year either like OSU had happen to them this year.

I can see a case for either Alabama or Ohio State. Either way, there are going to be some unhappy people.......and some happy people.

I still see undefeated UCF sittng out. South Fla beat Texas tech today adding more fuel to my UCF fire. Go undefeated yet you are out, but losing teams control own destiny to get in? Bullhockey.

UCF got a bad matchup in AUB.....a tricky team. And the UCF coach is leaving, destroying his control.

WISC-Ohio st. Got no business in final 4 IMO. At least they got that right.

Auburn SHOULD pistol whip UCF

but I can see them being unmotivated and getting beat (much like Bama against Utah in the Sugar Bowl a few years back)

I can also see Auburn being super motivated to make a statement for going into next year

if I am being honest, Auburn should probably be favored to win the SEC next year, EXCEPT thaey have to play us and Bama on the road 2 of their last 3 games

-Geaux

The reason that will not happen is that OSU did not show up against Clemson last time around.

I suspect that if Bama performs like OSU did, in being shut out by 30 points, they won't make the playoffs next year either like OSU had happen to them this year.

Wait your basing last year to this year and that's the reason you think Ohio State didn't get #4. I never heard them base it on that ..

auburn is a top notch school as well.

I greaduated UGA in 1992 - used to be a running joke that Auburn was a backup school for kids that could not get into UGA

my son is going to Auburn
casty.gif

he has a 4.2 GPA & a true 33 on the ACT (34 with super score)

MOST of his friends (including his girlfriend) are going to Auburn

Alabama has a better academic reputation than Auburn; BUT crazy thing is - Auburn has tougher standards for scholarships (not sure about straight up admission standards)

the boy was offered a full ride to Bama & roughly 3/4 scholarship to Auburn - pretty sure he will make up the rest through other scholarships & grants, so no big deal...

I see people make fun of Auburn for academics & I just shake my head and laugh at them - they have absolutely stepped it up in that area in the last decade or so

Auburn's academics are top notch. But, being that I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa, I know more auburn jokes than any other sort, and spent most of my life seeing the auburn football program as the arch enemy. Not so much anymore.

-Geaux

Alabama had one loss, to a top 10 team. Ohio State had 2 losses, including getting bitch slapped by an unranked team. Ohio State didn't get cheated.

that was the nail in the coffin for the old BCS system, and many argue, the reason the playoff system came to be

-Geaux

nightmare scenario for the selection committee:

UCF pistol whips Auburn in the Peach Bowl

UGA plays Bama a week later in Atlanta - does not matter who wins

Auburn was a consensus lock to be in the playoffs had they won the SEC & they beat both teams in the championship game

UCF goes undefeated & beats that Auburn team handily??

IF that happens; look for the screams to get much louder for a 6 or 8 team playoff

and yes, I desperately want to see this actually happen

:beer:

-Geaux

Wait your basing last year to this year and that's the reason you think Ohio State didn't get #4. I never heard them base it on that ..

Well, if they base it on performance, OSU doesn't get in either.

Forum List

Back