Can't find a job? Maybe you aren't really trying...

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
i commend you OCA...it takes guts and alot of patience to be self employed...i would start a biz myself, but the benefits of working for another company, specifically a major corporation, outweigh self-employment for myself. mostly because i have a child under 1 yr and the insurance and time off benefits are better than what i could get being self employed.

It all depends on how you look at it, my wife still works for an optometrist 40 hrs a week basically for the benefits but what we pay through their plan and what I would pay through a personal plan isn't all that much difference and I have a 7, 6 and 2.5 yr old.

My big beef with being an employee was I seemed to always be busting my ass so some fat cat who was out on the golf course most days could continue to make the payments on his 1.5 mil. mansion. Plus you sell your time and in most cases when you break it down, especially salaried employess who put in 50-60 a week, you're getting ripped off a lot of times.

There is a guy I know who owns a Hawaiian shaved ice company, he has a trailer in the parking lot of the Rite-Aid here and one outside the exit of the Home Depot. Friggin guy basically works everyday 12-10 from oh say April to September or October depending on the weather and takes the whole winter off, he makes a killing!

My point is there are opportunities everywhere, they just don't all involve a suit and tie and a comfy office chair. :)

Originally posted by OCA
My big beef with being an employee was I seemed to always be busting my ass so some fat cat who was out on the golf course most days could continue to make the payments on his 1.5 mil. mansion. Plus you sell your time and in most cases when you break it down, especially salaried employess who put in 50-60 a week, you're getting ripped off a lot of times.

You sound just like my husband, lol! He got laid off about 2 years ago from a telecommunications company. He said he did not want to work for someone else making them rich while he busted his ass with a possiblity of being laid off again. He and my stepdad started a company doing home improvement for realtors. With telecommunications on the rise again, and everyone already laid off, they used their company and subcontracted some fiber optic jobs. Hopefully, this will get them back into the fiber optic game, which is what he loves.
He actually started in telecommunications by diggin holes for sign poles along the railroad tracks. He worked his butt off, learned what he needed plus much more, and ended up running the Chicago office. He started digging in dirt, and ended up making over 60k a year.
This was my whole point with my Thomas Edison quote, which I printed up when we started the business, and hung above our desk as motivation. It works, LOL!

My apologies for not posting in response to Freedom and Mtn before now - I wasnt near the computer....I was at the new house doing moving stuff (eeuww)

Perhaps I should have worded things differently, or more succintly I should say.....what I meant by it seeming a narrow minded viewpoint, is simply this: (and Ive said the same to DK before in the past, as I have a college education but he does not....however, he is the brainy one in our marriage - he can intellectually mop the floor with me LOL)

Just because someone goes to college doesnt make them 'one way' - just because someone doesnt go to college doesnt make THEM 'one way'. While going to college I held many jobs - waitressn receptionist, sales in a bridal store, retail in the mall, entertainer, data entry, etc, etc....I could fall back on those skills learned at any of those positions WAY easier than I could what my degree is in....but I dont feel Im less of a person b/c I continued my education. Nor do I feel that anyone else is less of a person because they didnt. If I did, then I wouldnt be married now, would I? :p:

I realize that even though this post is intended as very docile and NON-inflammatory, that it very well may be interpreted as the opposite. On that chance, let me dole out the apologies ahead of time. Im aware of the fact that I no longer posess the ability to make myself understood without others thinking Im taking pot shots....for the record, Im not taking any.

Just giving my opinion :)

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
My apologies for not posting in response to Freedom and Mtn before now - I wasnt near the computer....I was at the new house doing moving stuff (eeuww)

I responded to Fuzzykitten's topic not yours. To tell you the truth I wasn't really looking for a response on your part. :)

Forum List

Back