Can't find a job? Maybe you aren't really trying...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by fuzzykitten99, Jun 29, 2004.

1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    I really don't believe that finding a job is THAT hard. I didn't even try that hard and I just accepted a new position with another company. I applied to 2 companies, and interviewed for both, and I got offered the position yesterday.

If the job market is that bad, how come I had no problem without really trying? I have no post-high school education and yet I landed a job making a little more than I do now. My new job is a claims processor for a national insurance company.

I think that the ones that complain about the job market are the ones that spent major $$ on college, but didn't learn any actual skills outside their chosen profession, so if they can't find a job in their chosen field, they are SOL. I want to be a teacher, and I will hopefully be persuing that dream next fall (2005) but I know that I will have skills to find other work if teaching positions are scarce or if I am one and my position is cut. It's funny how college costs so much, but really holds little value in real life work.

2. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that is quite a narrow-minded viewpoint.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

3. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    how is it narrow minded? you insult me, but leave no real argument.

4. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I am NOT insulting you. DO NOT misinterpret my opinion as an insult. I did not say that your opinion was an insult to me.
    I simply stated my own.

Regarding my reasons, actually I was just typing them out but deleted them. Why? Mainly b/c I can see that this is just the beginning to another flame fest on here. And after careful consideration, I just dont want to be a part of it.

Disreguard my previous post.

I have no opinion.

5. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    you say that it is "a narrow-minded viewpoint" ...this is an insult if i have ever heard one.

6. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    then I'd have to say that you've never really been insulted. Lots of people have narrow-minded view points simply because they haven't seen as much of something as they need to in order to have a 'not so narrow-minded' viewpoint.

7. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    OK OK OK!

FORGIVE ME PLEASE FOR EXPRESSING MY OPINION.

Sheesh, I was better off in my previous decision to quit posting for a while.

For what its worth, my husband (no matter what anyone else thinks of him) has no after HS education as well and is damned good at his job - he didnt learn his trade from school but from OTJ training and self study and self teaching.

AGAIN, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I WAS NOT INSULTING YOU!

I will not be responding to anymore on this thread, as its obvious that a friendly conversation of different ideas is not possible anywhere anymore.

For whatever its worth, good luck with pursuing your dream - its a very good one! (I would pass you an olive branch, but I dont feel like getting hit over the head wiht it-ducking)

8. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Here's the problem...you all keep saying it's narrow-minded, without any real explaination of WHY you think that it is. You just state the opinion without backup. and really, you make yourself sound arrogant when you say my viewpoint is narrow-minded when you have no backup for your thoughts. Oh, it must be that I don't have the college education so I must be narrow minded. Is that what you think?

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I agree. Acually, KL, you were being narrow-minded by offering an opinion that her opinion was narrow minded but then not stating why. She clearly stated by she believes what she does, yet you didn't and you said that her POV is narrow-minded.

I think that is why she fealt you were being insulting.

As for education, I don't believe education fulfills ALL the requirements of a job. I too barely have an education (got my GED in the Army and then college afterwards) and hard work is most of what got me where I am today (in a pretty nice life I might ad).

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hey well done on the job acceptance Fuzzykitten, that's great.

I would agree with you view, I have approached my employment by making myself as marketable as possible. I'm going on 6 years with my current employer, at the time of interviewing they were only going to hire one person, but since we both interviewed so well they hired both of us. 6 years later I'm going strong with the company and my coworker left the company only 9 months into the job.