BOOM: UPS Fires 250 Union Workers for Refusing to Work

Ohio Labor Laws Breaks

here we go

In the state of Ohio, labor law for breaks specifies that employers are not obligated to give their employees a lunch or break unless they are under the age of 18. According to the Ohio Revised Code 4109.07(c), an employer must give a minor under the age of 18 a 30-minute, unpaid break when working more than 5 hours at a time.

If the employer does give a break period for a person over the age of 18, they are not required to pay the employee after 20 minutes under Ohio labor laws on breaks. Federal law is quite different from Ohio labor law for breaks, and the following section describes some important factors about federal law.

Federal Laws on Breaks

Like Ohio labor laws on breaks, federal law does not require an employer to give a rest period to an employee over the age of 18. However, if the employer does give a break, they must pay an employee if the break is less than 20 minutes.

so i can work 12 or 16 hours in the state of ohio with no breaks...

Wish to hell I could. I have to take my lunch break before 8 hours, even though I frequently would rather not!

And when it's ninety five degrees out those boxes WILL ruin fruit.

talk to H&D....they told us a day in the box wont hurt it.....and if you seldom go out to check your box then that box of fruit in the parcel box for more than a day is on you not the PO....UPS would have left it by your door in the Sun....i have seen that quite a few times....like i said they have left stuff at the door of vacant Houses and Apts....

So now you're trying to equate an aluminium box in direct sunlight to my shaded porch?
And like I said,one month they would leave it on the porch and the next they'd put it in the hot box where the fruit turned to mush.
I called the post office and they had no answer as to why the carrier could not be consistent. Total lack of professionalism and management oversight.
Add the fact that USPS tracking is complete shit compared to UPS....yeah I'll use any other shipping method when possible.

like i said....H&D said parcel boxes are ok....if you dont check your box....thats on you....it sounds like you had a shitty carrier or you did not have a regular one....i took care of my customers ....and we use just about the same tracking system that they and Fed-X use since we deliver many of their parcels....its all kinda joined now....so there you are just sounding like a disgruntled customer....

Pablum. The USPS tracking system SUCKS. It's not the system...it's the fact that half the stuff DOESN'T GET SCANNED PROPERLY! I just ordered some books from Amazon...several had NO tracking info between the shipper sending them & them getting delivered to me!

Well I do know that my motto was I will work as hard as I am paid. Minimum wage means minimum work. High pay = high productivity. Its a game played by both sides. Its called capitalism right?

Wow, what a messed up little man you are.

When you are first hired the company makes you an initial offer they can live with if you fail to be any more productive than the rate they hired you for. I usually try to low ball it by 50 cents to a dollar lower, because in the interview I can tell you aren't real bright and probably won't be worth much. They do this because most will fall into that beginner pay grade and piss and whine but never put out the effort to improve their worth.

You are the exact reason that new hires are put on probation with reviews after 30, 60 and 90 days without the company committing to any insurance, 401k participation or permanent employment.

People with your motto get nowhere because you fail to understand the value and benefit of actually doing your job a little better gets you the raise, doing your job down to what you get paid gains you nothing.

When I hire someone I have 1-2 dollars an hour in reserve for the probation period. And by then I have an additional 2-5 dollars available if your work ethic is up to par. Did you show up on time every day for 30 days? Did you do your job? You get another .50 to 1.00 per hour. Did you exceed that low bar? Do something a little extra? maybe learn something that makes you valuable? That was worth another dollar or two.

Or am I dealing with a Initforme? Which is a perfect fucking name for someone like you. Did Initforme do the bare minimum based on what he was paid? Well then. I think we will keep you at the very base that you seem to be capable of. I see no reason to invest more in you in hopes you will perform better with more money when I have someone else looking to move up. They just got your raise. Congrats on giving away your money to someone more qualified. That's capitalism.

Ohio Labor Laws Breaks

here we go

In the state of Ohio, labor law for breaks specifies that employers are not obligated to give their employees a lunch or break unless they are under the age of 18. According to the Ohio Revised Code 4109.07(c), an employer must give a minor under the age of 18 a 30-minute, unpaid break when working more than 5 hours at a time.

If the employer does give a break period for a person over the age of 18, they are not required to pay the employee after 20 minutes under Ohio labor laws on breaks. Federal law is quite different from Ohio labor law for breaks, and the following section describes some important factors about federal law.

Federal Laws on Breaks

Like Ohio labor laws on breaks, federal law does not require an employer to give a rest period to an employee over the age of 18. However, if the employer does give a break, they must pay an employee if the break is less than 20 minutes.

Wish to hell I could. I have to take my lunch break before 8 hours, even though I frequently would rather not!

I always worked through lunch on Fridays so I could leave a little early and get a jump on traffic and my weekend.
But then I was a valued employee and could pretty much do as I pleased.
Of course that took years of hard work to get in that position,something kids now days dont understand. They actually couldnt understand why I had so many privileges.

We all want the best service... for the least amount possible. Says something about this country doesn't it?

What it says is we want the best service for our money. Your company is charging me 45-65 per man hour for their services. I don't really want the 8 dollar an hour guy that just does 8 dollars an hour worth of work on my project. But I do understand that companies need the dumb ones to fill in the slot of monkey for the guy that can actually get my job done.

So when your team shows up at my job site I know that for 45 an hour I am going to get a team of one person making 35 an hour, at a loss to the company when benefits and vehicles are added in, and probably two more in the 20 an hour range to make the job happen because they are the meat of the work. And then I expect a couple initforme's to be there at 8 bucks per hour for labor only, no thought involved and just doing what the other three tell them to do because they don't even understand WTF they are there to do. Or won't put out the effort to make the job go smoothly because they are idiots.

It's not my problem you only make what minimal effort you will provide to my job, it does matter to me when I have to over pay you for being a minimal employee. Which will probably cause your company to lose the bid anyway and I won' have to deal with that company very long.

So now you're trying to equate an aluminium box in direct sunlight to my shaded porch?
And like I said,one month they would leave it on the porch and the next they'd put it in the hot box where the fruit turned to mush.
I called the post office and they had no answer as to why the carrier could not be consistent. Total lack of professionalism and management oversight.
Add the fact that USPS tracking is complete shit compared to UPS....yeah I'll use any other shipping method when possible.

like i said....H&D said parcel boxes are ok....if you dont check your box....thats on you....it sounds like you had a shitty carrier or you did not have a regular one....i took care of my customers ....and we use just about the same tracking system that they and Fed-X use since we deliver many of their parcels....its all kinda joined now....so there you are just sounding like a disgruntled customer....

Well no shit I'm a disgruntled customer. The USPS screwed me out of a couple hundred bucks worth of fruit. I would call them and they never called back. They've lost my packages twice. I've never had that problem with UPS.
USPS sucks plain and simple.

hey i have heard that before no biggie.....and you wont believe this because you are "disgruntled".....but UPS and Fed-X fuck up with mis-deliveries and lost packages just as much...and if the PO sucks so bad....why are they delivering a whole bunch of the other guys parcels?.....

"Wow, what a messed up little man you are.

When you are first hired the company makes you an initial offer they can live with if you fail to be any more productive than the rate they hired you for. I usually try to low ball it by 50 cents to a dollar lower, because in the interview I can tell you aren't real bright and probably won't be worth much. They do this because most will fall into that beginner pay grade and piss and whine but never put out the effort to improve their worth.

You are the exact reason that new hires are put on probation with reviews after 30, 60 and 90 days without the company committing to any insurance, 401k participation or permanent employment.

People with your motto get nowhere because you fail to understand the value and benefit of actually doing your job a little better gets you the raise, doing your job down to what you get paid gains you nothing.

When I hire someone I have 1-2 dollars an hour in reserve for the probation period. And by then I have an additional 2-5 dollars available if your work ethic is up to par. Did you show up on time every day for 30 days? Did you do your job? You get another .50 to 1.00 per hour. Did you exceed that low bar? Do something a little extra? maybe learn something that makes you valuable? That was worth another dollar or two.

Or am I dealing with a Initforme? Which is a perfect fucking name for someone like you. Did Initforme do the bare minimum based on what he was paid? Well then. I think we will keep you at the very base that you seem to be capable of. I see no reason to invest more in you in hopes you will perform better with more money when I have someone else looking to move up. They just got your raise. Congrats on giving away your money to someone more qualified. That's capitalism"

Well for your info I owned my own company for 27, yes, 27 years because I realized that working for someone else was no way to go. Now I am retired and my oldest son runs the company. This holier are thou you gotta work your tail off is fine but it in no way will get one ahead very far. What needs to be done by the worker is to learn a skill that he/she can use against his/her employer in that they can get up, walk out with no notice, and find another job. Either that, or get paid more. That's called capitalism in my book. I paid my workers well. I found out the hard way that if you pay less you get less quality from those who work for you. Quality is what customers want, not garbage work. Breaking free from working for another company is the key. A large percentage of them don't see their workers as valuable... even their best workers. Those are the ones who need to walk away when most needed.

Well I do know that my motto was I will work as hard as I am paid. Minimum wage means minimum work. High pay = high productivity. Its a game played by both sides. Its called capitalism right?

Those are the words of someone who will never advance. You will really stay at minimum wage because you prove every day that is all you are capable of. It's why newly arrived immigrants get better jobs than Americans. If the job isn't shipped overseas entirely.

Pablum. The USPS tracking system SUCKS. It's not the system...it's the fact that half the stuff DOESN'T GET SCANNED PROPERLY! I just ordered some books from Amazon...several had NO tracking info between the shipper sending them & them getting delivered to me!

do you guys even understand what goes on....or do you just talk?....
The USPS tracking system SUCKS.

i said its just about the same fucking system....they now are delivering a lot of their parcels.....i get books from Amazon once a month...its tracked between the shipper and the PO.....i had a package i bought off of Amazon delivered by UPS....when i got it it had a scan bar code on it....i never got to track it..... why was that?....

it's the fact that half the stuff DOESN'T GET SCANNED PROPERLY!

its a fact huh?....how long did you work there to know it wasnt scanned properly?.....Amazon just awarded the PO a Billion dollar contract to deliver their shit over the other 2.....there was a reason for that.....

Well no shit I'm a disgruntled customer. The USPS screwed me out of a couple hundred bucks worth of fruit. I would call them and they never called back. They've lost my packages twice. I've never had that problem with UPS.
USPS sucks plain and simple.

hey i have heard that before no biggie.....and you wont believe this because you are "disgruntled".....but UPS and Fed-X fuck up with mis-deliveries and lost packages just as much...and if the PO sucks so bad....why are they delivering a whole bunch of the other guys parcels?.....

Hold on a second. I've never personally had a package lost by UPS or FedEx but have had a few lost by the USPS. But this isn't really the point is it? Even if the service remains the same in lost packages or late deliveries or trashed product being delivered the primary concern should be that it costs the US taxpayer is on the hook for 16 billion dollars just to keep the USPS afloat with their bloated operating cost and retirement packages. When it actually costs us nothing for UPS or FedEx to deliver, or not deliver those packages as may occur whichever may be the case.

UPS and FedEx may very well fuck up some deliveries much like the USPS does. Only difference is that UPS and FedEx fuck up on their own dime. USPS fucks up and goes to congress for more bailout money.

Here is the article I used to come up with 16 billion being what's needed to keep the government version of mail delivery afloat. US Postal Service faces ruin without rescue from Congress, watchdog warns | Business | theguardian.com

i said its just about the same fucking system....they now are delivering a lot of their parcels.....i get books from Amazon once a month...its tracked between the shipper and the PO.....i had a package i bought off of Amazon delivered by UPS....when i got it it had a scan bar code on it....i never got to track it..... why was that?....

its a fact huh?....how long did you work there to know it wasnt scanned properly?.....Amazon just awarded the PO a Billion dollar contract to deliver their shit over the other 2.....there was a reason for that.....

If the tracking system is the same,why is it I can follow my package through each destination damn near in real time with UPS,yet USPS tracking is usually a day behind if it's progress gets updated at all?
I have a holster from Detroit Holsters in transit. The last update was on the sixth.
So as far as I know it's still sitting at the Detroit sorting facility on the eighth.
Thats bullshit.

Once more for the slow kid: tracking the things I ordered is impossible, because they are not being scanned when they should be! Unless you are now claiming that a package should go from Seattle to the Boston area without ONE SINGLE STOP or ONE SINGLE SCAN in between! (Note: that book was delivered March 25th. Tracking still shows it "in transit".)

The last FedEx shipment I got I was able to track as it moved...from Colorado, to New Jersey, to the local FedEx terminal...even got an email within ten minutes when it was delivered.

"Wow, what a messed up little man you are.

Or am I dealing with a Initforme? Which is a perfect fucking name for someone like you. Did Initforme do the bare minimum based on what he was paid? Well then. I think we will keep you at the very base that you seem to be capable of. I see no reason to invest more in you in hopes you will perform better with more money when I have someone else looking to move up. They just got your raise. Congrats on giving away your money to someone more qualified. That's capitalism"

Well for your info I owned my own company for 27, yes, 27 years because I realized that working for someone else was no way to go. Now I am retired and my oldest son runs the company. This holier are thou you gotta work your tail off is fine but it in no way will get one ahead very far. What needs to be done by the worker is to learn a skill that he/she can use against his/her employer in that they can get up, walk out with no notice, and find another job. Either that, or get paid more. That's called capitalism in my book. I paid my workers well. I found out the hard way that if you pay less you get less quality from those who work for you. Quality is what customers want, not garbage work. Breaking free from working for another company is the key. A large percentage of them don't see their workers as valuable... even their best workers. Those are the ones who need to walk away when most needed.

Hold on a sec here, how does this post pair with your previous stance?

Thank goodness we have labor laws because after being in corporate America for a few years I learned the following facts:

1). Unions are on the way out.
2). Most companies would take away all safety regulations
3). Most companies would quickly increase the amount of hours their workers are forced to work and take away pay. They are interested in more profit and less labor costs(poor business practice that always leads to a lesser quality product).

I do agree that unions are outdated but we need the laws otherwise YES most all companies would take advantage of their workers in every way they can.

In my career I have seen that this is the case for SOME companies. But not even close to all of them. And the safety regulations are not going away. If anything, they are becoming more strict.

I think it has a lot to do with how good you are at your job.
I have never worked anywhere that didnt offer every benefit imaginable.
But I could see where someone who sucks at what they do having no choice but to work for shady companies. Those people should be thankful that those shady companies exist or they wouldnt be employed at all.

What a bunch of garbage. I worked for the Federal Government and was told to my face I'd never get promoted, I was too good in the job I had and no one else could do it.

I can't think of a single company that doesn't take advantage of their employees. Even my brother in law, with his doctorate was taken advantage of by his company after he sold his own company to take a job there. They made him a vice president, got what they could out of him and laid him off. Now he's started yet another business.

If you find a company that treats it's workers well, my advice is stick to them like glue.

We all want the best service... for the least amount possible. Says something about this country doesn't it?

We used to have laws that protected us, but Corporate laws changed in the 70's and we started this long spiral downward in our country.

Any body who thinks we are protected because of laws hasn't been paying attention. Without unions, we will be even worse off and those laws will very quickly go away.

Ohio Labor Laws Breaks

here we go

I always worked through lunch on Fridays so I could leave a little early and get a jump on traffic and my weekend.
But then I was a valued employee and could pretty much do as I pleased.
Of course that took years of hard work to get in that position,something kids now days dont understand. They actually couldnt understand why I had so many privileges.

One of the big complaints I hear about the younger employees is that they have no concept of the time it takes to earn the extras and special benefits.

Other than a few special circumstances, I haven't worked an hourly rates in decades.

We used to have laws that protected us, but Corporate laws changed in the 70's and we started this long spiral downward in our country.

Any body who thinks we are protected because of laws hasn't been paying attention. Without unions, we will be even worse off and those laws will very quickly go away.

My protection is my skill set and my knowledge. I understand that a company may decide they don't want me. I understand that no one is irreplaceable. But other employers will want me.

In my career I have seen that this is the case for SOME companies. But not even close to all of them. And the safety regulations are not going away. If anything, they are becoming more strict.

I think it has a lot to do with how good you are at your job.
I have never worked anywhere that didnt offer every benefit imaginable.
But I could see where someone who sucks at what they do having no choice but to work for shady companies. Those people should be thankful that those shady companies exist or they wouldnt be employed at all.

What a bunch of garbage. I worked for the Federal Government and was told to my face I'd never get promoted, I was too good in the job I had and no one else could do it.

I can't think of a single company that doesn't take advantage of their employees. Even my brother in law, with his doctorate was taken advantage of by his company after he sold his own company to take a job there. They made him a vice president, got what they could out of him and laid him off. Now he's started yet another business.

If you find a company that treats it's workers well, my advice is stick to them like glue.

So you weren't even capable of moving up in a government union job? And you think the answer to your failure is more government and union would make you a success?

How pathetic do you have to be to not be able to advance in a government job and worse yet a union government job.

Holy crap, how pathetic.

Wildcat strikes are problematic for the workers; they have no official protection. If the union is weak, the company can act with impunity as is the case here.

Lovebears is silly when he says unions are not needed. Corporate would return workers to the 1920s and 1930 if they could. They can't, thank heavens.

How come here in the south we do just fine without them.. My husband makes a great salary , has great benefits and guess what his company which is a fortune 100 company is not unionized. There was a time and place for unions and that time has passed. They were good and passed many regulations that it will be impossible for them to go back to the 1920s now.

...by being the poorest population in the US. Yeah you guys are doing swimmingly

Do you really need to be reminded why many southern states have above average poverty rates? Low high school graduation rates? High crime rates?

Check the demographics and get back to me, OK?

Forum List

Back