WOW!!! Evangelical preacher Beth Moore re: seductive & dangerous Trumpism. This Christian nationalism is not of God. Move back from it,"

While the Southern Baptists receives the most attention for their conservative politics, there are denominations in which liberals can feel equally at home.

ITā€™s too bad about the Southern BaptIst who have abandoned their valued historical contribution to the founding of America with religious freedom through separation of church and state.

HomeWelcome menu
WALL OF SEPARATION BLOGThey Canā€™t Have It Back: Southern Baptist Leader Seeks To ā€˜Reclaimā€™ Church-State Separation
Sep 17, 2014 by Rob Boston
If there were a prize for unmitigated gall, it would be awarded today to Russell Moore, president of the Southern Baptist Conventionā€™s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission.
Moore, speaking during a recent panel discussion at the Evangelical Leadership Summit, an event sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute in Washington, D.C., told the crowd that they need to ā€œreclaimā€ the phrase separation of church and state, a term he admitted that ā€œwe long ago tossed overboard.ā€
Baptist Press reported that Moore said that the term ā€œdoes not mean secularizationā€¦.It means that the state is limited and does not have lordship over the conscienceā€¦.ā€
That sounds nice ā€“ until you remember that this is coming from a man whose denomination has spent the past 35 years or so doing everything in its power to undermine what Thomas Jefferson called ā€œthe wall of separation between church and state.ā€
Itā€™s true that Baptists were once great champions of church-state separation. Some still are today, but the SBC long ago stopped being for the separation principle. After fundamentalists took over the denomination, it quickly became an appendage of the most reactionary wing of the Republican Party. Eroding Jeffersonā€™s wall was job one.
In short order, the SBC went from celebrating the legacy of men like Roger Williams, John Leland and Isaac Backus to rallying around figures like W.A. Criswell, pastor of the First Baptist Church in Dallas who once famously remarked, ā€œI believe this notion of separation of church and state was the figment of some infidelā€™s imagination.ā€
Baptist leaders who stood for tolerance and the right of conscience gave way to men like Bailey Smith, the president of the SBC in 1980 who uttered this comment: ā€œItā€™s interesting to me at great political battles how you have a Protestant to pray and a Catholic to pray and then you have a Jew to pray. With all due respect to those dear people, my friend, God Almighty does not hear the prayer of a Jew. For how in the world can God hear the prayer of a man who says that Jesus Christ is not the true messiah? It is blasphemy. It may be politically expedient, but no one can pray unless he prays through the name of Jesus Christ.ā€
Real, authentic Baptist historians were pushed aside for the likes of ā€œChristian nationā€ advocate David Barton, a former Christian school teacher (not a historian) who calls separation of church and state a ā€œmyth.ā€
A denomination that had once proudly carried the banner for freedom of conscience was now demanding school prayer amendments, pressing for tax support of sectarian schools, bashing LGBT rights, advocating creationism in public schools, demanding that wives submit to their husbands and, most recently, insisting that its theological view of marriage be the law of the land for all.
In the mid-1990s, when the far right cooked up a monstrosity called the ā€œreligious freedom amendmentā€ that would have removed church-state separation from the U.S. Constitution, SBC leaders didnā€™t protest this scheme to alter the First Amendment. Instead, they recommended some changes and then signed on. They were happy to replace the genius of James Madison with a farrago patched together by a band of lawyers for Religious Right groups and see it promoted by former U.S. Rep. Ernest Istook, an obscure congressman from Oklahoma fronting for Newt Gingrich.
In virtually every modern church-state case heard by the Supreme Court, the SBC has been on the side of more church-state union, not separation. Under fundamentalist control, the denomination embraced a fatal mistake: believing that Caesar could enforce the ā€œmoralā€ society that the preaching of its pastors had failed to deliver. Persuasion was replaced with the raw power of the state.
So yes, the Baptists did toss the concept of church-state separation overboard. And thatā€™s why a broad coalition of liberal and moderate Protestants, progressive Catholics, humanists, atheists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Wiccans, Pagans, etc., rescued it. We nurtured it. We breathed new life into it. We defended it from attacks. We stood up for it. We reminded all Americans of how important it is.
Perhaps most importantly, we debunked the lies of the ā€œChristian nationā€ crowd. One of those myths is still spread by Moore: that secularism is the great enemy of faith. Far from it. An officially secular state is religionā€™s best friend. A secular state is not hostile to religion. It merely says that itā€™s not the job of any branch of government to favor religion or to have an opinion on theological matters. It leaves that discussion to private arenas.

Now that Trump has become irrelevant along with his Christian Nationalist supporters I think Evangelicals such as Beth MOORE will have much influence over the not so radical Christians who donā€™t believe Trump was sent by god to save America.

any loss of Christian support will be devastating to his plan to run again in four years. Every news story about him and his dirty family will be negative. And he has no power to change the narrative going forward. He cannot nominate another judge and he canā€™t lie about how great a president he is and how great he is for black people.

we believe in God.

Are you saying only Trump supporters believe in God? Or if you believe in God in America you must believe in Trump?

There are 8 Trump supporters protesting outside the Michigan Capitol trying to stop the sixteen electors from voting for Biden.

1/2 a Trumper per Elector does not bode well for Tumpā€™s fascist plan to overturn the election he had lost about 60 times now.

we believe in God.

Are you saying only Trump supporters believe in God? Or if you believe in God in America you must believe in Trump?

There are 8 Trump supporters protesting outside the Michigan Capitol trying to stop the sixteen electors from voting for Biden.

1/2 a Trumper per Elector does not bode well for Tumpā€™s fascist plan to overturn the election he had lost about 60 times now.
Libbers are fascists, especially given how the Gestapo Governor runs her state, you should know that. And if you believe in man caused global warming, then you do not believe in God. Are these difficult concepts for you to understand Forrest??

A majority of Democrats are Christians. They are not Christian nationalists.

jbrownson0831 ā€”ā€” on what basis do you disagree with the above statement?

First, letā€™s look at the numbers. The data shows that belief in God and identification with a religion is actually pretty common in both parties.​
Most Democrats ā€” 76 percent ā€” are absolutely certain or fairly certain about their belief in God, according to a 2018 study conducted by the Pew Research Center. Thatā€™s not a small number, although it is lower than the percentage ā€” 90 percent ā€” of Republicans who say they are absolutely certain or fairly certain about their belief in God.

More than 80 percent of Republicans and right-leaning voters said religion is very important or somewhat important in their lives, according to Pew. But so do a large majority ā€” more than 70 percent ā€” of Democrats and left-leaning voters.​

A majority of Democrats are Christians. They are not Christian nationalists.

jbrownson0831 ā€”ā€” on what basis do you disagree with the above statement?

First, letā€™s look at the numbers. The data shows that belief in God and identification with a religion is actually pretty common in both parties.​
Most Democrats ā€” 76 percent ā€” are absolutely certain or fairly certain about their belief in God, according to a 2018 study conducted by the Pew Research Center. Thatā€™s not a small number, although it is lower than the percentage ā€” 90 percent ā€” of Republicans who say they are absolutely certain or fairly certain about their belief in God.​
More than 80 percent of Republicans and right-leaning voters said religion is very important or somewhat important in their lives, according to Pew. But so do a large majority ā€” more than 70 percent ā€” of Democrats and left-leaning voters.​
That you all believe man controls the weather and is responsible for your global warming. That makes you atheists.....along with support of abortion and support of lawbreaking thugs and criminals over law enforcement.

Realize that many of us who may appear to be Christian Trumpists have no use for organized religion of any ilk. We have moral ideologies that may appear to be Christian but when really looked at are anything but Christian.

Realize that many of us who may appear to be Christian Trumpists have no use for organized religion of any ilk. We have moral ideologies that may appear to be Christian but when really looked at are anything but Christian.

Do you believe in the Christian doctrine of original sin, that Jesus was born of a virgin, was crucified dead and buried in order to save mankind from eternal damnation, and ascended unto heaven to sit at the right hand of god his father?

Apparently Evangelicals first Christian birth was a failure, so they needed to be 'born again'.

Now it's obvious from their support of Trump, their second Christian rebirth has also been a failure.

Third time's a charm?

Can they be 'Born Again Again'?

Do you believe in the Christian doctrine of original sin, that Jesus was born of a virgin, was crucified dead and buried in order to save mankind from eternal damnation, and ascended unto heaven to sit at the right hand of god his father?

No, I do not. I grew up with that bologna. You canā€™t swing a hand in my family without hitting a church worker. I got my head right nineteen and a half years ago, when my father died.

Saw this on Morning Joe. Thanks for posting!
On a related note, here is another piece well worth reading from prominent religion writer David French:
Morning Joe? The hosts are crackpots.

you may think that of Joe but itā€™s good that the MSM is shining a light on the threat to American Democratic values and the peaceful transition of power from the white Christian Nationalist movement and its blind devotion to Trumpism.

Since losing the election Trump has gone absolutely berserk stopping at nothing to destroy the legitimate peaceful transfer of power in the middle of a monstrous health and economic disaster that he failed to bring the country through. 100000 times worse than Bushā€™s response to Katrina. But his white nationalist Christian base continue in devotion based on a belief that he was sent by God to destroy Liberalism. And if our precious Democratic process be destroyed it shall be damned.

No, I do not. I grew up with that bologna. You canā€™t swing a hand in my family without hitting a church worker. I got my head right nineteen and a half years ago, when my father died.

Good for you. The first four American presidents didnā€™t believe in that bologna either. On that basis I guess you might not be a Christian nationalist at all. Unless you believe America was founded based on that bologna.

You do realize that Trump would not have won the GOP Primary without the backing of white evangelical Christians who are steeped in Christian nation ideology.

if Iā€™m wrong let me know.

Then why are you a liberal?

who said I was a liberal? I just canā€™t be a Republican because it is dominated by white evangelical Christian nationalists on one side and corporate self interests on the other. The nationalist Christians do not think in political terms that demand an agenda from the big moneyed favored class that serves in their self interest..

The Republican monied interests do not have the numbers themselves to gain enough representatives in office to have things go their way without the large Christian political bloc of voters that can be roused up on cultural matters as trivial as blaming Democrats for the make believe war on Christmas.

Itā€™s no conspiracy. Itā€™s just the way things are.

Now that Trump as the undisputed head of the Christian nation movement is a loser and has no power to do anything more for the culture Christians I think they start dumping him. Some will dump him for the right reason that he makes Christianity look bad. Others will dump him because everybody center to left wonā€™t pay attention to him any more. He is if no use to anybody with no power.

He is done. He is a loser.

NotfooledbyW

Can you define what is a "Christian nationalist" and can you tell me why you believe they are misguided and bad for America? Thanks.

The devil and its angels believe in the existence of God. But I believe that God want His people to acknowledge Him. Like in the time of Elijah at Mt. Carmel. He wanted all of His people to witnessed what was going to happen on that summit.
Hardly anyone prayed for the 2020 to go well. The majority thought that they have had it under controlled. That they didn't need to pray. But one of the main things that God desires. It is to acknowledge Him.
But the Dems knows that He exist. And that is why they are trying their best to keep the people from acknowledging Him so that He will not intervene in what they are doing. That is why Nancy Pelosi announced live on T.V. that they had impeached Pres. Trump knowingly that they didn't. To let those to think that Kim Clement's prophecies are a joke.
But God wants everyone stand beneath Mt Carmel to witness what is going to happen to those who are challenging Him.
The Dems are so confident that Nancy has nine lives. That they are thinking that everything is going to go their way. But God is waiting for His people to watch and pray for Him to intervene so that we will acknowledge who He is/ But if there no one watching at the bottom of Mt Carmel. Then how would anyone if a tree falls, does it makes a sound. .
God all ways ask for witnesses.
But all the prophets in the Bible children were corrupted. Spared the rod.

1 Samuel 25:38
About ten days later, the Lord struck Nabal and he died.

Forum List

Back