Zone1 Without God Who Or What Decides What Moral Law Is?

Since people and not God came up with all the "moral" codes of mankind the question is meaningless. The greatest failing of religious law is that every one of them blesses the killing of the infidel. It has taken millennia to overcome all the great religion's penchant for killing in the name of God.

I think that it's a very good question actually. She brings up a very good point.

A key (and tragic) deficit in human reasoning is belief that mankind is not capable of governing himself free from self-forged iron shackles of either mythological deities who know all, see all and who spectacularly punish mistakes of the species or god-like men such as kings appointed to rule by command of said mythological deities.

The way one determines right from wrong (in the absence of any god's wrath) is to identify and differentiate between those actions which harm the continuation of our species and those which benefit it and encourage its proliferation.

For instance, abortion—even without the dusty presence of ancient deities—can be easily identified as morally wrong; the act of abortion—mass abortion in particular—severely reduces the number of humans available to procreate and continue our species. Thus, and without any inclination toward deity worship, the act of abortion is provably, morally wrong. It is the same with issues such as mass homosexuality, mass transgenderism and euthanasia as a societal policy: all three aforementioned philosophical perversions severely detract from the capability of our species to reproduce, perpetuate and survive—all without need of deity worship or mention.

Harming children in any way, be that harm physical or psychological, is super antithetical to the continuation of the human species. War, also, is against the logical means and natural progression of our race other than in those few true instances of war for national defense, a situation which is historically so rare as to (almost) have never arisen.

Murder is also antithetical to prosperity in general, unless one sets out to be a madman, and unless one is killing in self-defense. Either way, murder removes warm human bodies capable of reproduction and continuation of our species.

Living by a good moral code requires neither genius nor belief in a god; only love for oneself and our species are necessary.

it's called having a conscience.

True. But it is possible for a person to mess up or 'deaden' their conscience....to the point of where it really doesn't function anymore at all. For example, messed up people who go on a downward spiral in doing harmful things. Or serial killers. They may have started off with a God-given conscience, but somewhere along the way it got messed up to the point of it being completely defunct.

Living by a good moral code requires neither genius nor belief in a god; only love for oneself and our species are necessary.
That's nice to know. P'raps you can explain why our species is so self-destructive?

True. But it is possible for a person to mess up or 'deaden' their conscience....to the point of where it really doesn't function anymore at all. For example, messed up people who go on a downward spiral in doing harmful things. Or serial killers. They may have started off with a God-given conscience, but somewhere along the way it got messed up to the point of it being completely defunct.

& there are people born without a conscience. are you saying god created them that way?

Actually, history has shown Christians victimizing nonbelievers
Every religious cult has done so. I follow the word of God as I read it and have little interest in the Groupthink associated with it nor demand others to follow my beliefs. Those who do not fear God and believe their power is absolute have been FAR less forgiving than people of Faith. We believe in God given rights, Godless leaders believe they are God who bestow such rights (or otherwise).

Last edited:
& there are people born without a conscience. are you saying god created them that way?

No, I disagree. Everyone is born with a conscience, but unfortunately some people screw it up to the point where it's almost completely nonexistent. I don't know if you're a Christian, but that's biblical... 1 Timothy 4:2 talks about how a conscience can be "seared" as with a hot iron.

Forum List

Back