Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

Again, I don't care what you personally see. I'm sure ther have ALWAYS been late model cars in junk yards. I doubt it's because of electronic components. Most likely they were totaled which is what happens to many cars.

You see lots of new cars with windows that won't close and doors won't lock? All those check engine lights. I haven't. Every late model car for me has ridden like a dream. Last 5 vehicles have all been American made, not a single door or window issue. Not even an engine light. Most have four wheel drive (all but 1 actually) that have handled flawlessly. There is my anecdotal shit to counter yours.

You obviously do not do your own car work and do not keep them very long.
My experience is pretty wide, because I not only maintain my own, but relatives, friends, etc.
I keep up on all cars.

For example, I know a guy with a 2015 Chevy Camaro, and the blend door for the heater.AC is broken.
This is a notorious failure on almost all GM vehicles, but especially Camaros, and the dealer wants to charge $3700 to fix it. (you have to remove the windshield, then the dash, etc.) They simply failed to put in a position limiter switch.

Last edited:
Kind of small potatoes. I don't know why you guys want to debate the margins and unimportant details, probably because you have nothing else except to be contrarian and find tiny wrinkles to argue in.

Another example of this is arguing that the Ford Lightening is a shitty truck because of range issues when towing 10lbs. Not realizing that most people don't do that with their trucks and so the Ford Lightening while not meeting everyone's needs (no car or truck today does this) it meets a lot of the needs people use trucks for.
You meant 1000 lbs.
But the weight limitation if not the problem.
The 300 mile range is.
And if you need to have the heater, wipers, and headlights on, the range drops to 150 miles.

That might be sufficient range in New England, but not CA, TX, the Great Plains, AL, or most of the US.

Lithium mining is less ecologically friendly than coal mining. Then you still need petroleum to make all the plastics in electric cars.

We are now experimenting in replacing plastics with other materials like 1/4 “ plywood. Do try to get a life so that you can screw the commies back correctly. You burn furniture to stay warm, while in Wisconsin, badger spent not a red cent on sleeping heat for 16 months. Duh

Some people have to learn the hard way.

I encourage them to go electric now and to purchase hair shirts for their families to help keep them warming winter when sitting an hour at a frigid charging point hoping for enough juice to get to grandma's.

Provided the grid hasn't shut town or the local areas browned out or in a rotating blackout because so man who abandoned their fossil fueled home heating for clear electricity.

Do it now when you're young and more physically able to cope.
Dipshit, badger has already Dictated that there will be no waiting. The batteries will be precharged and instantly exchanged. Duh

No, you exchange your battery module so that there is no waiting. Even faster than petroleum addiction.

Great idea, but there are no EVs with exchangeable battery modules so far.
When I suggested it, they said they are too heavy, model specific, and to easily damaged to be acceptable as a core exchange.
Remember that batteries are connected by more than the 2 wires.
They have sensors, liquid cooling, etc.

badger2

I already suggested modular battery containers and all the makers said no.
The batteries are too big, too heavy, too expensive, so short lived, and have too many proprietary cooling conducting connections.
If you allowed exchanges, then eventually the station would end up with all the defective batteries, costing a fortune.
You are incorrect. Modular means that you only purchase what you need, not fill up the entire tank. Modular. What the hell is too many cooling conductions and connections? Duh

Except that the actual warranty varies from 100,000 to 150,000 miles, not 300,000 miles.
And most people do that amount of miles in less than 10 years.
Battery life is also shortened by quick charges and over discharging.

Great idea, but there are no EVs with exchangeable battery modules so far.
When I suggested it, they said they are too heavy, model specific, and to easily damaged to be acceptable as a core exchange.
Remember that batteries are connected by more than the 2 wires.
They have sensors, liquid cooling, etc.
The term ‘model specific’ means precisely that these pimps are refusing standardization. Screw them now if not sooner.

Except that the actual warranty varies from 100,000 to 150,000 miles, not 300,000 miles.
And most people do that amount of miles in less than 10 years.
Battery life is also shortened by quick charges and over discharging.
And once (the fuck) again, you are claiming that the cup is half empty rather than half full.

You are incorrect. Modular means that you only purchase what you need, not fill up the entire tank. Modular. What the hell is too many cooling conductions and connections? Duh

Modular with EVs, means uniform, replaceable battery unit.
And they not only do not now exist, every EV manufacturer I have talked to said they will never do that.

One of the reasons is that no one will take your old battery module in exchange. It could have been abused and is junk.

The second reason is that all lithium batteries don't work if hot, so have cooling methods that differ by company.
Here is a good read:

{...
The performance of Lithium-Ion battery cells is greatly impacted by their temperature, they suffer from the Goldilocks effect, they do not perform well when too cold or too hot, which can lead to permanent and extreme damage of the cells or accelerated degradation. So in addition to cooling, heating of the cells may also be required at lower ambient temperatures to prevent damage during fast charging when the cells are too cold; this is because the internal resistance of the cells rises when they are cold. Most lithium battery cells cannot be fast-charged when they are less than 5oC and cannot be charged at all when they are below 0oC. Lithium cells also begin to degrade quickly when their temperature is above 45oC.

In the past, the largest battery packs did not necessarily need any special cooling as the physical size of the packs was sufficient and the relative flow of current was not large compared to the overall capacity of the pack. As ever faster battery charging rates are demanded with recharge power of over 200kW to deliver times of 30 minutes or less, higher performance electric vehicles with a requirement for consistent performance and adequate durability in global markets has meant that special thermal management methods for the battery pack are now required.

There are 3 common battery thermal management methods used today:
  1. Convection to air either passively or forced.
  2. Cooling by flooding the battery with a dielectric oil which is then pumped out to a heat exchanger system.
  3. Cooling by the circulation of water-based coolant through cooling passages within the battery structure.
...}

The term ‘model specific’ means precisely that these pimps are refusing standardization. Screw them now if not sooner.

I agree that standardization makes sense, but they deliberately resist it.
They want to differentiate instead.

And once (the fuck) again, you are claiming that the cup is half empty rather than half full.

No, I am pointing out that lithium batteries are impractical because they are too expensive and have too short of a life span.
They are also too heavy, and they require too many rare earth elements, like lithium, cobalt, neodymium, terbium, dysprosium, etc.

You obviously do not do your own car work and do not keep them very long.
My experience is pretty wide, because I not only maintain my own, but relatives, friends, etc.
I keep up on all cars.

For example, I know a guy with a 2015 Chevy Camaro, and the blend door for the heater.AC is broken.
This is a notorious failure on almost all GM vehicles, but especially Camaros, and the dealer wants to charge $3700 to fix it. (you have to remove the windshield, then the dash, etc.) They simply failed to put in a position limiter switch.

Sometimes I work on my own vehicle, sometimes the dealership does, depends on who's paying for the work usually or whether I want to waste my weekends on it.

Anyway, some vehicles I keep for awhile, some I trade in after a couple of years.

You meant 1000 lbs.

Actually I meant 10k lbs. A honda can tow 1k.

But the weight limitation if not the problem.
The 300 mile range is.

For a half ton, both. If you're really going to two more than 10k lbs then you're probably not buying a half ton, unless you can find that unicorn that actually tows as advertised. Going back to my point, there is no car or truck that suits everybody's needs. Because some people need to tow, doesn't mean all or even most do. Because some people drive over 250 miles a day and they need something they can fill up quickly doesn't mean all more most people do.

it's strange when it comes to electric cars you guys seem to think fi the vehicile doesn't fulfill everybody's then it is absolute garbage.

And if you need to have the heater, wipers, and headlights on, the range drops to 150 miles.

It does? The wipers use little power. Headlights? Jesus, maybe a mile at best. The heater maybe 15-20% up to 40%. This is a weakness with EVs and if I lived in colder weather I probably wouldn't get one for that reason.

That might be sufficient range in New England, but not CA, TX, the Great Plains, AL, or most of the US.

I didn't realize people in those states drive across them everyday. No matter how large of a state you live in people usually stay within 200 miles or less of their house on any given day.

Modular with EVs, means uniform, replaceable battery unit.
And they not only do not now exist, every EV manufacturer I have talked to said they will never do that.

One of the reasons is that no one will take your old battery module in exchange. It could have been abused and is junk.

The second reason is that all lithium batteries don't work if hot, so have cooling methods that differ by company.
Here is a good read:

{...
The performance of Lithium-Ion battery cells is greatly impacted by their temperature, they suffer from the Goldilocks effect, they do not perform well when too cold or too hot, which can lead to permanent and extreme damage of the cells or accelerated degradation. So in addition to cooling, heating of the cells may also be required at lower ambient temperatures to prevent damage during fast charging when the cells are too cold; this is because the internal resistance of the cells rises when they are cold. Most lithium battery cells cannot be fast-charged when they are less than 5oC and cannot be charged at all when they are below 0oC. Lithium cells also begin to degrade quickly when their temperature is above 45oC.

In the past, the largest battery packs did not necessarily need any special cooling as the physical size of the packs was sufficient and the relative flow of current was not large compared to the overall capacity of the pack. As ever faster battery charging rates are demanded with recharge power of over 200kW to deliver times of 30 minutes or less, higher performance electric vehicles with a requirement for consistent performance and adequate durability in global markets has meant that special thermal management methods for the battery pack are now required.

There are 3 common battery thermal management methods used today:
  1. Convection to air either passively or forced.
  2. Cooling by flooding the battery with a dielectric oil which is then pumped out to a heat exchanger system.
  3. Cooling by the circulation of water-based coolant through cooling passages within the battery structure.
...}
We are already solving the temperature problem in Wisconsin. Do we have to go down to Texas with photos? These cocksuckers know that standardization does not necessarily depend on recharging rates, and the lithium recycling facility need only be a quarter-mile away.

Forum List

Back