Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

No, we are not talking about towing.
A half ton pickup is only rated for 1000 lbs of cargo.
The GM Lightning is rated for only 1000 lbs of cargo.
I was talking about towing because Gramps was talking about towing.

What the fuck is the GM Lightening? The Ford Lightening is rated at 2000 lbs for cargo however which is on par for a half ton if not a little on the high end.

And yes, in case it needs to be explained trucks that are described as half tons (Ford F150, GM/Chevrolet 1500, Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan) have much larger cargo carrying capacities than older trucks due to their increase in size.

I was talking about towing because Gramps was talking about towing.

What the fuck is the GM Lightening? The Ford Lightening is rated at 2000 lbs for cargo however which is on par for a half ton.

And yes, in case it needs to be explained trucks that are described as half tons (Ford F150, GM/Chevrolet 1500, Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan) have much larger cargo carrying capacities than older trucks due to their increase in size.
If you put 2k lbs in the bed of an F150 very often it won’t last long.

It does? The wipers use little power. Headlights? Jesus, maybe a mile at best. The heater maybe 15-20% up to 40%. This is a weakness with EVs and if I lived in colder weather I probably wouldn't get one for that reason.

Headlights use about 50 watts.
Wipers often use as much as 150 watts, depending on the size and friction of the windshield.
Heater/defroster motor is another 150 watts.
Electric heater is 5,000 watts.
Electric AC is 1,500 watt while it is on

But lithium starts to greatly reduces output and range if allowed to get cold or hot.
So I would also skip an EV if I lived in Phoenix or Alaska.

We are at least 50 years from getting even close to getting off fossil fuels. Anyone who believes otherwise is naïve as FUCK.
This was probably said by a guy with a horse and cart around the turn of last century...

Battery Technology is going to have some major advances in the next 10 years... People will see that you can buy your car and change your batteries in the future... Probably just rent batteries and return to company for refurished ones...

Electric is also cheap to run a car... Interesting times ahead...

We are now experimenting in replacing plastics with other materials like 1/4 “ plywood. Do try to get a life so that you can screw the commies back correctly. You burn furniture to stay warm, while in Wisconsin, badger spent not a red cent on sleeping heat for 16 months. Duh

Who's "We" and where's your link? Also I need a link to my burning furniture to stay warm. I really don't think you have a fucking clue what the hell your talking about.

You are incorrect. Modular means that you only purchase what you need, not fill up the entire tank. Modular. What the hell is too many cooling conductions and connections? Duh

You need to buy a fucking dictionary son. But hey, your ignorance makes for great entertainment. LMFAO

Last edited:
I didn't realize people in those states drive across them everyday. No matter how large of a state you live in people usually stay within 200 miles or less of their house on any given day.

New England was built on transportation systems before cars, so it is not just that states are small.
People do not and do not have to drive long distances there.
With these western states, it is not just driving across them, but that they were built for a car culture, so everything is far apart.
Radius is not as important as zigzagging back and forth.

Modular with EVs, means uniform, replaceable battery unit.
And they not only do not now exist, every EV manufacturer I have talked to said they will never do that.

One of the reasons is that no one will take your old battery module in exchange. It could have been abused and is junk.

The second reason is that all lithium batteries don't work if hot, so have cooling methods that differ by company.
Here is a good read:

{...
The performance of Lithium-Ion battery cells is greatly impacted by their temperature, they suffer from the Goldilocks effect, they do not perform well when too cold or too hot, which can lead to permanent and extreme damage of the cells or accelerated degradation. So in addition to cooling, heating of the cells may also be required at lower ambient temperatures to prevent damage during fast charging when the cells are too cold; this is because the internal resistance of the cells rises when they are cold. Most lithium battery cells cannot be fast-charged when they are less than 5oC and cannot be charged at all when they are below 0oC. Lithium cells also begin to degrade quickly when their temperature is above 45oC.

In the past, the largest battery packs did not necessarily need any special cooling as the physical size of the packs was sufficient and the relative flow of current was not large compared to the overall capacity of the pack. As ever faster battery charging rates are demanded with recharge power of over 200kW to deliver times of 30 minutes or less, higher performance electric vehicles with a requirement for consistent performance and adequate durability in global markets has meant that special thermal management methods for the battery pack are now required.

There are 3 common battery thermal management methods used today:
  1. Convection to air either passively or forced.
  2. Cooling by flooding the battery with a dielectric oil which is then pumped out to a heat exchanger system.
  3. Cooling by the circulation of water-based coolant through cooling passages within the battery structure.
...}

You're giving that ignorant child way too much attention. That's all it's after.

New England was built on transportation systems before cars, so it is not just that states are small.
People do not and do not have to drive long distances there.
With these western states, it is not just driving across them, but that they were built for a car culture, so everything is far apart.
Radius is not as important as zigzagging back and forth.
Im sorry, most peope dont travel hundreds of miles a day matter what sort of make believe bullshit you want to make up about zigzagging or whatever.

I read a post elsewhere maybe two years ago, a guy predicted exactly this. He said gasoline will run a premium ongoing.

I don't know if he predicted the damage we'll do the Earth, though probably did. This is nothing but a money grab and electricity will run a big premium too, taxes for certain, probably retail too. You can't build a GRID out of nothing, and the mining runs deep.

Left are idiots, watch more tankers cross the ocean because they're fools.

Most likely in a configuration that nobody buys.
Only people that use trucks for work like I did for 30 years

I bought and wore out 7 or 8 trucks some F 250 and some F 350 I have an F 150 now but only because I'm retired and don't need the big trucks anymore.

I still don't think I'd get an electric pickup anytime soon though

Last edited:
Only people that use trucks for work like I did for 30 years

Not really. Most half ton work trucks don't (and probably can't) tow 10,600 lbs. Most people don't buy half ton trucks for work to tow that much weight.

Other than that, not really sure what your point is.

Not really. Most half ton work trucks don't (and probably can't) tow 10,600 lbs. Most people don't buy half ton trucks for work to tow that much weight.

Other than that, not really sure what your point is.

Speak for yourself.

I was in the house building and flipping business and then in the property rental business for 30 years and I used nothing but F 250 or F 350 trucks.

You're not going to pull and excavator or a Lull to a job with a small pickup

Speak for yourself.

I was in the house building and flipping business and then in the property rental business for 30 years and I used nothing but F 250 or F 350 trucks.

You're not going to pull and excavator or a Lull to a job with a small pickup

So, I just said that most people don't use half ton trucks for towing and you tell me that I'm only speaking for myself and then go on to explain how you use 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Gee, thanks for demonstrating my point.

Forum List

Back