Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

Yeah, what can 1 then then 3 degrees difference in temperature make? Certaunly not drought and severe weather patterns or iceless poles. Nothing to worry about. Im sure west of the Mississippi they will find water somewhere.

Except that EVs speed up global warming.
Batteries are lithium and that is very dirty and expensive to mine.
Not to mention heavy and hard to recharge.
They dont. Or at least not as much as ICEs. Taking into account the lifespan of the average car, while EVs start out at a deficit they make up for the materials used in batteries. Ive already posted a link to this.

EV batteries last less than 10 years and cost close to $10,000.
EVs have nothing on ICE.
There are ICE engines getting 70 mpg, and you can run ICE on bio fuel that removes more carbon from the air than it creates.
The batteries in Teslas are guaranteed for 300,000 miles.
Woa need a link
https://www.carparts.com/blog/how-many-miles-do-tesla-batteries-last/

bad bad news for all authoritarian gas-stations like KSA, Muscovy, Venezuela , what will happened to them once oil (so no crazy jets full of cash landing on the roof of the Putin´s dacha) becomes what is coal today ?

"
We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.
And it is likely to happen much more quickly than you imagine.
Many industry observers believe we have already passed the tipping point where sales of electric vehicles (EVs) will very rapidly overwhelm petrol and diesel cars....
_118691645_evs_sales-nc.png

Jaguar plans to sell only electric cars from 2025, Volvo from 2030 and last week the British sportscar company Lotus said it would follow suit, selling only electric models from 2028.
OnPEfRdT47FRKZho_MEvle7JoX-EmZaXKqGpWZUCuLlbSuezlKTAW64A-y4Bcvf1od_BTtsnm0R2UhEimnyjize9wgaeI82yauOAx8wFABkv4N3PoTEbEpl13Q

General Motors says it will make only electric vehicles by 2035, Ford says all vehicles sold in Europe will be electric by 2030 and VW says 70% of its sales will be electric by 2030."

Yep, when you only get 250 miles on a good day from an electric fill up, that took 1 hour, sure, the electric car is the way to go. But if you have to go from Florida to Arizona, and it takes you 10 fill ups and it is cold outside and the days are short, you have to fill up a few more times and longer because battteries dont do well in cold weather. And all those coal fired power plants need to be churning out the CO2 for the demand of all that electricity during that time because what happened in Texas can happen any where else.

What happened in Texas has never happened in Canada, or any other first world country. No country other than the USA has "rolling brown outs". You're the only first world country in the world with an inadequate power grid.

That's what a lack of government owned infrastructure will do for you. Upgrading equipment reduces profits. Less money for the shareholders. At this point, your lack of infrastructure is reducing investment in your economy.

You are an idiot...

As biting cold caused power demand to surge across western Europe on January 8, the continent’s electricity network came close to a massive blackout.

Europe’s grid, which is usually connected from Lisbon to Istanbul, split into two as the northwest and southeast regions struggled to keep the same frequency. The problem originated in Croatia and led to the equivalent of 200,000 households losing power across Europe. Supply to industrial sites was cut in France and Italy.
-----

“It is not a question about if a blackout in some European regions will happen, it is only a question of when it will happen,” said Stefan Zach, head of communication at Austrian utility EVN AG. “A blackout might happen even in countries with high standards in electricity grid security.”

Transmission grids need to stay at a frequency of 50 hertz to operate smoothly and any deviations can damage equipment that’s connected. Had the frequency swings not been reduced within minutes, it could have caused damage across the entire European high voltage network, potentially causing blackouts for millions.

Remember all that screaming and pearl clutching Republicans did over LED lightbulbs?

whatever happened to all that?

seems like a lot of wasted energy
I gotta say. The ones I use do not last as long as what is reported. And you do pay a price for them.
True LED lights really don't last any longer than my old incandescent bulbs

But the LED daylight bulbs give a much purer light than incandescent or compact fluorescent bulbs.

bad bad news for all authoritarian gas-stations like KSA, Muscovy, Venezuela , what will happened to them once oil (so no crazy jets full of cash landing on the roof of the Putin´s dacha) becomes what is coal today ?

"
We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.
Many industry observers believe we have already passed the tipping point where sales of electric vehicles (EVs) will very rapidly overwhelm petrol and diesel cars....

Jaguar plans to sell only electric cars from 2025, Volvo from 2030 and last week the British sportscar company Lotus said it would follow suit, selling only electric models from 2028.
OnPEfRdT47FRKZho_MEvle7JoX-EmZaXKqGpWZUCuLlbSuezlKTAW64A-y4Bcvf1od_BTtsnm0R2UhEimnyjize9wgaeI82yauOAx8wFABkv4N3PoTEbEpl13Q

General Motors says it will make only electric vehicles by 2035, Ford says all vehicles sold in Europe will be electric by 2030 and VW says 70% of its sales will be electric by 2030."

Electric cars are a fantasy.....

I’m pro-electricity, but I am adamantly opposed to the notion that we should “electrify everything” including transportation.

* EVs are cool. They are not new. The history of EVs is a century of failure tailgating failure. In 1911, the New York Times said that the electric car “has long been recognized as the ideal solution.” In 1990, the California Air Resources Board mandated 10% of car sales be zero-emission vehicles by 2003. Today, 31 years later, only about 6% of the cars in California have an electric plug.

* The average household income for EV buyers is about $140,000. That’s roughly two times the U.S. average. And yet, federal EV tax credits force low- and middle-income taxpayers to subsidize the Benz and Beemer crowd.

* Lower-income Americans are facing huge electric rate increases for grid upgrades to accommodate EVs even though they will probably never own one.

* This month, the California Energy Commission estimated the state will need 1.3 million new public EV chargers by 2030. The likely cost to ratepayers: about $13 billion.

* Meanwhile, blackouts are almost certain this summer and electricity prices are “absolutely exploding.” California’s electricity prices went up by 7.5% last year and they will likely rise another 40% by 2030. This, in a state with the highest poverty rate and largest Latino population in America. How is racial justice or social equity being served by such regressive policies?

* I also talked about resilience, saying “Electrifying everything is the opposite of anti-fragile. Electrifying transportation will put more of our energy eggs in one basket. It will make the grid an even-bigger target for terrorists, cyberthieves, or bad actors. It will reduce resilience and reliability in case of a prolonged grid failure due to natural disaster, equipment failure, or human error.”

I also highlighted the myriad supply-chain problems with EVs. Citing work done by the Natural History Museum in London, I said that electrifying half of the U.S. motor vehicle fleet would require in rough terms:

* 9 times the world’s current cobalt production
* 4 times global neodymium output
* 3 times global lithium production
* 2 times world copper production

I concluded by saying:

Oil’s dominance in transportation is largely due to its high energy density. That density and improvements in internal combustion engines and hybrids assure that oil will be fueling transport for decades to come. Powerful lobby groups want Congress to spend billions on electrification schemes that will impose regressive taxes on low-income Americans, reduce our resilience, and increase reliance on China. That’s a dubious trifecta

That truck won't be good for anything but as a daily driver.

I use a truck for work and hauling and that 200 mile range quickly becomes less than 100 miles when the truck is loaded and hauling a trailer

Didn't watch the video did ya. The mileage ratings are with a half ton of cargo.

And what about while pulling a 10000 lb trailer?

This probably isn't the best truck (like most other 1/2 tons) to be pulling that much weight. Probably want to go with a 3/4.

I use a truck for work and hauling and that 200 mile range quickly becomes less than 100 miles when the truck is loaded and hauling a trailer

Didn't watch the video did ya. The mileage ratings are with a half ton of cargo.

This probably isn't the best truck (like most other 1/2 tons) to be pulling that much weight. Probably want to go with a 3/4.

Not with current fuel prices.
I used to own only 1 tons and then when fuel prices spiked it cost more to drive than my mortgage. Compromises had to be made and I sold them.

I used to own only 1 tons and then when fuel prices spiked it cost more to drive than my mortgage. Compromises had to be made and I sold them.

If you cant afford to tow safely then maybe dont do it.

Yeah, what can 1 then then 3 degrees difference in temperature make? Certaunly not drought and severe weather patterns or iceless poles. Nothing to worry about. Im sure west of the Mississippi they will find water somewhere.

They dont. Or at least not as much as ICEs. Taking into account the lifespan of the average car, while EVs start out at a deficit they make up for the materials used in batteries. Ive already posted a link to this.

EVs have nothing on ICE.
There are ICE engines getting 70 mpg, and you can run ICE on bio fuel that removes more carbon from the air than it creates.
Woa need a link
Why would you not just look up something so easily yourself?

300,000 for Tesla batteries? But, but, but the average car only lasts about 150,000 miles? How could that possibly be?

Also, contrary to popular belief cars today last longer than cars built decades ago. With the exception of vehicles that fall into that "classic car" category that are meticulously maintained and often times completely rebuilt, most cars were a piece of shit back in the day.

If you cant afford to tow safely then maybe dont do it.

Laughable. Being smart with my budget has nothing to do with safety tard.

Remember all that screaming and pearl clutching Republicans did over LED lightbulbs?

whatever happened to all that?

seems like a lot of

it wasnt LEDs you idiot. It was the compact fleurescwnt bulbs with the lead that

"

So....Philadelphia bought electric buses.....for a million dollars a piece....now all of those buses have been pulled......

A million dollars a bus.....and they pulled them from use.....

The stupidity of the green meanies is endless...

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is one of the deep-blue cities that’s been priding itself in leading the charge against climate change for years now. Back in 2016, they decided to establish a position as an early adopter of electric vehicle technology on a large scale to reduce their carbon footprint. The city purchased 25 electric buses from a company called Protera at a staggering price tag of nearly one million dollars apiece and put them into operation. But barely four years later, every one of the buses had been pulled from service and is deemed unusable. What went so horribly wrong to produce such a result? As the Free Beacon reports this week, just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

More than two dozen electric Proterra buses first unveiled by the city of Philadelphia in 2016 are already out of operation, according to a WHYY investigation.
The entire fleet of Proterra buses was removed from the roads by SEPTA, the city’s transit authority, in February 2020 due to both structural and logistical problems—
the weight of the powerful battery was cracking the vehicles’ chassis, and the battery life was insufficient for the city’s bus routes. The city raised the issues with Proterra, which failed to adequately address the city’s concerns.
The city paid $24 million for the 25 new Proterra buses, subsidized in part by a $2.6 million federal grant.

Same thing happened in Albuquerque, NM.
The program was called ART, (Albuquerque Rapid Transit), and they bought a bunch of electric buses at a very high price, that never worked.

I know someone who drives a school bus. The daily route covers 91 miles. This is in a cold state, so they would have to do the morning route, plug in the bus, or they woudn't be able to do the rest of the route........especially when the bus is used for other things during the day.....in the cold, that would cut how efficient the battery is.....

The dream of electric cars is likely never going to happen.....some real technology will come along and make battery cars unnecessary.....

There is an electric bus that does the route between Carson city and Reno. Half the time it dies on the road. I have passed that damned thing so many times with the passengers waiting at the side of the highway it's ridiculous.

That seems completely unlikely. If it were as frequent an occurence you suggest, ridership would die, and the line would be too problematic to continue. Since the bus has been running for 2 years, and there are no reports of problems, I seriously doubt that there are.

My daughter drives a hybrid electric car and has NEVER run out of power.

I am not against hybrids, but as a person who works on cars, I have to point out that with a dual propulsion system, you double the number of failure potential points.
A vehicle can be stranded not due to lack of power, but a component failure risking catastrophic damage, like a relay starting to smoke.

EVs have nothing on ICE.

Close, but not quite.

{...

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty​

These powertrain components will be repaired or replaced at Tesla’s discretion. The warranty period varies based on your Tesla model.
  • Model S and Model X: 8 years or 150,000 miles
  • Model 3 with standard battery: 8 years or 100,000 miles
  • Model Y and Model 3 with long-range or performance battery: 8 years or 120,000 miles
Tesla also guarantees a minimum battery capacity retention of 70% over the warranty period. There are some restrictions and differences based on your battery type and model, so make sure to read your specific Tesla warranty.
...}

So they only guarantee 70% capacity for 100k to 150k miles, or 8 years.
So if you intend to keep a vehicle for something like 20 years, then new batteries is ensured pretty much, at a cost of like $10k. I can replace an ICE engine with a used one for under $1k.

300,000 for Tesla batteries? But, but, but the average car only lasts about 150,000 miles? How could that possibly be?

Also, contrary to popular belief cars today last longer than cars built decades ago. With the exception of vehicles that fall into that "classic car" category that are meticulously maintained and often times completely rebuilt, most cars were a piece of shit back in the day.

I always used to buy foreign cars in the past because they are possible to keep running forever, even if you have to swap in a used engine.
I sometimes dump cars if I find one I like better, but often I get well over 300k miles out of them.
Like the 88 VW Golf GTI I had, with DOHC. The interior and Ricarro seats just totally wore out, or I would have kept it.

The odd thing is that these days I see lot of cars in the junk yard less than 10 years old.
While in theory they can last longer mechanically, these days they have so many delicate and complicated electronics, that many people just have to give up on them early. I see lots of new cars with windows that wont close, doors that won't lock, check engine lites can't be turned off, won't pass emissions, air bag goes off, etc.

I always used to buy foreign cars in the past because they are possible to keep running forever, even if you have to swap in a used engine.
I sometimes dump cars if I find one I like better, but often I get well over 300k miles out of them.
Like the 88 VW Golf GTI I had, with DOHC. The interior and Ricarro seats just totally wore out, or I would have kept it.

Neat. I'm talking about the average car lifespan, not whatever anecdotal shit you decide to make up that can't be verified.

We are at least 50 years from getting even close to getting off fossil fuels. Anyone who believes otherwise is naïve as FUCK.
We are closer than that for the majority, but technically speaking, i doubt we will ever be completely rid of gas fueled cars. There are too many car collectors to ever let that happen. You think rich guys like Jerry Seinfeld are going to let their antiques be banned from roads? No fucking way. The rich will always be in charge, and they arent giving up their shit.

The odd thing is that these days I see lot of cars in the junk yard less than 10 years old.
While in theory they can last longer mechanically, these days they have so many delicate and complicated electronics, that many people just have to give up on them early. I see lots of new cars with windows that wont close, doors that won't lock, check engine lites can't be turned off, won't pass emissions, air bag goes off, etc.

Again, I don't care what you personally see. I'm sure ther have ALWAYS been late model cars in junk yards. I doubt it's because of electronic components. Most likely they were totaled which is what happens to many cars.

You see lots of new cars with windows that won't close and doors won't lock? All those check engine lights. I haven't. Every late model car for me has ridden like a dream. Last 5 vehicles have all been American made, not a single door or window issue. Not even an engine light. Most have four wheel drive (all but 1 actually) that have handled flawlessly. There is my anecdotal shit to counter yours.

Forum List

Back