CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

Right, which is why I'm hyper-vigilant when I ride. I've been riding a motorcycle for over 40 years and I have never been in an accident and I have never laid one down; Not once. Can you claim the same? No, I didn't think so. Sadly the majority of bikers can't, and a large part of the reason they can't is that they give motorists too much credit, only to have the motorists go ahead and prove they're not deserving of such credit...
For every "duh" accident by a motorist, there are probably two "duh" close calls where the biker saves his own skin with good maneuvering.

Basically, I assume they are going to pull out in front of me, unless I can see them see me and/or their actions with their vehicle cue me. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

But, we choose to sit on top of an engine and two wheels and go for it. So the onus is on us, as they say.

I don't have to. They're available on a single model of motorcycle from a single manufacturer. THAT alone says they're not a good idea. That's like trying to say a head cheese sandwich is the most tasty, but then finding out that no one eats head cheese sandwiches (except, perhaps, for you).

Anyone who's not completely fucking brain dead can decipher why that is. Airbags are good in automobiles. They're far more bad than good on motorcycles. Every article I could find which discusses airbags for motorcycles it's not the motorcycles being discussed, but rather the riding apparel. Airbag vests make sense. Having an airbag blasting up over the gas tank does not.

You're the only person here arguing otherwise. Then again, you don't know dick about motorcycles, so this is not at all surprising...
Nice dodge attempt, inept but nice attempt. Try again moron. BTW, I was riding when you were still shitting your diapers.

if airbags were the great motorcycle safety development you claim it is,
Please show me where I said anything about their efficacy. I asked you to show that they are not effective as that is your claim. I've never had one but I would never tell someone that an engineered safety item was not as you did. You, as usual, pulled your opinion out of your derriere and tried to convince everyone that it is fact. Your lack of proof of your unsubstantiated opinion speaks volumes.
fucking ignorant regarding motorcycle safety...
Twenty year Motorcycle Safety Foundation Master Rider--over 150K accident free miles. Keep trying moron.

said something silly.
I didn't say anything silly. I simply informed you that airbags have been on motorcycles since 2007 if you go back to my original reply, you'll find this to be true. I linked the same video that I linked to the OP. You have a problem with accepting facts. But there they are--you and anyone else that cares can research it for validity. Run along skippy.

Please show me where I said anything about their efficacy. I asked you to show that they are not effective as that is your claim. I've never had one but I would never tell someone that an engineered safety item was not as you did.

So, you would be a proponent of putting seat belts on motorcycles? After all, they're "engineered" as a safety item...

You, as usual, pulled your opinion out of your derriere and tried to convince everyone that it is fact. Your lack of proof of your unsubstantiated opinion speaks volumes.

It's difficult to prove or disprove something when no data exists. The intelligent mind, however, would rightly assume that the lack of such a safety feature on other motorcycles means that it's not at all appropriate for other bikes.

The fact of the matter is this: In a car, you can predict where an occupant is going to travel within the car based on where it's hit, speed, etc. That becomes far more tricky when you're talking about a motorcycle, since there aren't doors and full back seats, seat belts and pillars and such to keep you in a relative small area. There's no way to accurately predict where a rider is going to end up on the bike, so there's no way to accurately design an airbag to address most scenarios.

The reason it fits on the Gold Wing because of how the Gold Wing is made. The seating is designed to be more car-like, minimizing rider movement. But to suggest that they'd be a good idea for all bikes because it is, in theory, a sound idea for the Gold Wing is ignorant.

If you were as adepot at all things motorcycle as you profess, you'd understand that...

Twenty year Motorcycle Safety Foundation Master Rider--over 150K accident free miles. Keep trying moron.

Impressive claim.

Now let's see if you can back it up. Let's see proof...

said something silly.
I didn't say anything silly. I simply informed you that airbags have been on motorcycles since 2007 if you go back to my original reply, you'll find this to be true. I linked the same video that I linked to the OP. You have a problem with accepting facts. But there they are--you and anyone else that cares can research it for validity. Run along skippy

So, you would be a proponent of putting seat belts on motorcycles? After all, they're "engineered" as a safety item...

It's difficult to prove or disprove something when no data exists. The intelligent mind, however, would rightly assume that the lack of such a safety feature on other motorcycles means that it's not at all appropriate for other bikes.

The fact of the matter is this: In a car, you can predict where an occupant is going to travel within the car based on where it's hit, speed, etc. That becomes far more tricky when you're talking about a motorcycle, since there aren't doors and full back seats, seat belts and pillars and such to keep you in a relative small area. There's no way to accurately predict where a rider is going to end up on the bike, so there's no way to accurately design an airbag to address most scenarios.

The reason it fits on the Gold Wing because of how the Gold Wing is made. The seating is designed to be more car-like, minimizing rider movement. But to suggest that they'd be a good idea for all bikes because it is, in theory, a sound idea for the Gold Wing is ignorant.

If you were as adepot at all things motorcycle as you profess, you'd understand that...

Impressive claim.

I already told you, it is totally inconsequential to me what you believe.

That becomes far more tricky when you're talking about a motorcycle, since there aren't doors and full back seats,
Just as sensors are mounted in cars to determine if the crash is side impact or frontal, sensors are likely placed to determine that the impact would be frontal and keep the rider from being thrown forward on impact. All crashes wouldn't necessarily trigger the air bag. Sixty years ago, you would probably say that turn signals are a dumb idea. When it comes to motorcycle safety, I am a proponent of anything that would make it safer WITHOUT removing the character of the ride which for different people is different i.e. a dirt bike rider wouldn't want to ride a Road King and someone who wanted to ride race bike wouldn't ride mini bike. To each their own. I agree with helmet choice--you want to wear one, be my guest, if not, that's no problem to me either. Apparently there are enough GW riders that like the air bag idea that it is making Honda money--I guess they'll be ignorant all the way to the bank.

Impressive claim.

Here is a link to a .pdf that will tell you more than I could. One thing it won't say is it is ignorant.

Was watching the motorcycle crashes on YouTube, and thought that wow if they had something that could deploy, then it might work to save them.

Heck what about a parachute that would deploy if they stood on the brakes hard enough ? Not necessarily on their person, but on the back of the bike along with the air bags also in front that would deploy simultaneously. Yes motorcycles are super dangerous, especially these days. People are just driving crazy anymore it seems. Just not sure why safety isn't priority one with motorcycle companies just as well as other stuff out there it seems.

Technically is impossible to fit anything like a crash airbag on a motorbike, like what is mentioned.

Anyway if you fall, you could fall in and arch of almost 360 degrees ..... or even vertically....so you would need airbags front ,back, sides, and top.

The safest way is to wear a good crash helmet and a protective suit .....with these, racing riders for example, falling off remain unharmed at speed of over 200 miles an hour.

Whewwww.....that was a mouthful! ^^^ :tongue: 🤣

Technically is impossible to fit anything like a crash airbag on a motorbike, like what is mentioned.

Anyway if you fall, you could fall in and arch of almost 360 degrees ..... or even vertically....so you would need airbags front ,back, sides, and top.

The safest way is to wear a good crash helmet and a protective suit .....with these, racing riders for example, falling off remain unharmed at speed of over 200 miles an hour.

You are mistaken. Air bags have been a feature on Honda Goldwings for 14 years. Not impossible.

Thanks, so what would be focused on is the fall that kills most riders right, and if that is going over the handle bars, then a bag just like the gold wing Honda had installed, might have been studied on such statistics for that very reason, and installed to hopefully bring those stats down some.

You are mistaken. Air bags have been a feature on Honda Goldwings for 14 years. Not impossible.

That's correct, but you could hardly classify the Honda Goldwing huge automatic DC Transmission bike, as a typical motor bike.

With it's car size engine as big as a car....that's not a typical bike.:)

1640733391639.png

After a quick internet search, the overwhelming response to airbags was positive. I also learned that many riders are opting for "airbag vests" Hadn't heard of these before. They also seem to be received positively.
They don't come cheap -

Forum List

Back