CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

But that's cold comfort, when you have been relieved of half your skull.
.I don't disagree, but it is certainly understandable that a cyclist would want any edge they can get.
Absolutely.

The problem is that the motorists believe they shouldn't have to worry about anything...

Absolutely.

The problem is that the motorists believe they shouldn't have to worry about anything...
Yeah, kind of true. Because, well -- hard truth time -- they don't.

My friend died on his bike about ten days ago, when a car pulled out in front of him. No video, so no good way to determine his speed. No criminal or civil fault indicated for anyone. (Accident deemed 50/50 fault , insurances pays for their own clients' losses).

I don't see a better way, really. And the limitations of the human mind are what they are. So we can tell people all day to be more diligent, but there is no "or else" to add to it.

So the rider is going to have to live with being the more diligent party. If they want to live. Up to them.

Last edited:
You know, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm attacking you. Are you on your period? Maybe you're having a heavy flow day.

Air bags are a good idea... in cars. They're not a good idea for motorcycles. Just as I would never think of driving my car without wearing my seat belt, I would never want to have to strap myself to my motorcycle. But, using your logic, you would be a hypocrite if you don't.

One motorcycle manufacturer decides to offer it on one motorcycle. That, alone, should tell you it may not be a good idea...
What does air bags have to do with strapping yourself onto a motorcycle ? Now that's a stupid Idea.

1) because school buses are incredibly safe......

2) Imagine you have to evacuate a bus, you are stuck on rail road tracks, the engine is on fire, or there is a tornado approaching...you now have a up to 70 kids, sometimes kinder gardeners who would be expected to know how to unlock their seat belts as they panic......the driver would have to try to unclip those belts as he is trying to direct the rest of the students to safety....

That's why....
Depends on the situation of course, just like it is with auto's, trucks etc.

Don't know how this got about seat belts. LOL.

Better yet......people on motorcycles should wear safety vests.....instead of just ninja black leather.....that would be an easier way to see them.....you know how they always say "Start Seeing Motorcycles," then wear the hardest to see clothing they can find....also? A strobe on the front and rear of the motorcycle, either a red light or white light would help a lot too......it would catch the eye...
Being seen is definitely a large problem, but safety vests would help little. I have been riding Goldwings for 40 years and they have been lit like Christmas trees with modulating lights and STILL people don't see.

Being seen is definitely a large problem, but safety vests would help little. I have been riding Goldwings for 40 years and they have been lit like Christmas trees with modulating lights and STILL people don't see.
Yep. That too.

Human minds are limited.

After the accident: "I never saw him." That's a true statement. They didn't. They didn't process what they were looking at, with 100% accuracy. And they never will.

No, dumbfuck, they've been on one model of motorcycles.

Does Harley offer them? No. Ducati? No. Yamaha? No. Suzuki? No.

Only Honda. And they only offer it on a single model.

Why is that?
Honor the clean debate zone.... It matters not if the others offer it, the fact that you thought in the beginning that no one did, and that it was totally absurd is enough to correct your knowledge or add to it. Continue.

For the car drivers:

A national campaign to ingrain it into every driver's manual and driver's Ed course and driving PSA to "Think: motorcycle" (first!) would be good.

Turning? Think: motorcycle.

Yellow light? Think: motorcycle.

Merging? Think: motorcycle.

Changing lanes? Think: motorcycle

The mascot could be a parrot. I like African Greys.

Last edited:
Well, if my damn-near-brighter-then-the-sun headlight is going to get lost, then a blinking light's only going to look like a turn signal.

You know, I have an idea: How about motorists simply strive to be more aware? Motorcyclists have to do it, simply because motorists tend not to. Even motorcyclists who drive cars are more careful behind the wheel. It's not hard. Is it so much to ask that you strive to be more aware of your surroundings when you're driving?
You can put your life in other people's hand's, but I choose not too.

Hope it helps.
I do too.

Real life example: I turned left from a stop onto a fairly busy street at night. My clutch pedal decided to stick open as I turned left, due to a piece of gravel. Fine luck.

I lurched upward and right, mind body and soul, and stopped the bike on the side of the road. About 5 seconds later a car whizzed by me at 45 mph and about 12 inches away. He literally "never saw me".

Maybe, if I was throwing that red light out, he would have.

Maybe.

At a company my friend works at (18 wheeler), they run their headlights and running lights all the time. Their safety protocol requires it even though the Truck is big enough to be seen coming or it should be seen. They want to be as visible as possible to other motorist.

What does air bags have to do with strapping yourself onto a motorcycle ? Now that's a stupid Idea.
I agree with you.

But seat belts, like air bags, were designed to help save lives. Why is one good to use on motorcycles and the other isn't?

Actually, you don't have to answer. It's not a serious question. Neither is truly appropriate for a motorcycle...

That moron has never been on a motorcycle in his life.

Bitch, please. I've forgotten more about riding a motorcycle than you'll ever know.

Air bags on a bike are a stupid idea. If they were a good idea, they'd be available on more than one single model from a single manufacturer...

Sure moron, when you wake up in the hospital (if you're lucky), you can tell them "He should have been looking for me." And you could be right--DEAD right.

Right, which is why I'm hyper-vigilant when I ride. I've been riding a motorcycle for over 40 years and I have never been in an accident and I have never laid one down; Not once. Can you claim the same? No, I didn't think so. Sadly the majority of bikers can't, and a large part of the reason they can't is that they give motorists too much credit, only to have the motorists go ahead and prove they're not deserving of such credit...

Forum List

Back