CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

I cannot think of a single case where an airbag mounted at any of the available angles on a motorcycle would do anything whatsoever to help.

Motorcycles are open and because of that they are inherently dangerous. It is just the basic reality of not being encased in metal when you are moving at 60+ miles an hour.
The way riders get thrown from the bikes the only place an air bag would do any good is if the rider could wear it like a life presever and it would deplay when he was in the air

That's why I wonder why not have it on all the time...red light doesn't carry as far, but having it circle your bike as you ride would make you easier to see all the time....unless it is illegal....which I guess it would be........right?
Does not have to be the same color all the time either - could be blue when riding and turn red when breaking.

A bit more complex to install but not that much worse. I have seen the same on cars before.

The way riders get thrown from the bikes the only place an air bag would do any good is if the rider could wear it like a life presever and it would deplay when he was in the air
Which would be virtually useless, if they are anything like auto air bags. They don't stay inflated and act like an inflatable pool raft. They provide protection from deceleration forces at just the right moment, in a controlled environment (you sitting 18 inches from your steering wheel, for example).

Does not have to be the same color all the time either - could be blue when riding and turn red when breaking.

A bit more complex to install but not that much worse. I have seen the same on cars before.

That's where I got the idea.....it would make the bike stick out a lot more in the dark........might save lives...

Once again, we know the risks.

Red lights, anywhere but the back are illegal. Blue lights are illegal. Too close to emergency vehicles.

A strobe on the front and rear of the motorcycle...

Seriously?

I've got LED headlights. They're pretty fuckin' bright. Anyone coming towards me who can't them isn't going to see a strobe, simply because any strobe which would be bright enough to see would have to be brighter than the headlights, and that would be illegal.

Motorcycle headlights and tail lights are plenty bright already; even stock ones. If you can't see this thing coming towards you, you have no business being on the road:

how-long-motorcycle-headlight-bulb-last.jpg

Seriously?

I've got LED headlights. They're pretty fuckin' bright. Anyone coming towards me who can't them isn't going to see a strobe, simply because any strobe which would be bright enough to see would have to be brighter than the headlights, and that would be illegal.

Motorcycle headlights and tail lights are plenty bright already; even stock ones. If you can't see this thing coming towards you, you have no business being on the road:

Yeah...not so much.....the strobe would catch the eye, especially in traffic at night where single headlight, even a bright one, gets swallowed up by the car headlights in front and behind it.....

Yeah...not so much.....the strobe would catch the eye, especially in traffic at night where single headlight, even a bright one, gets swallowed up by the car headlights in front and behind it.....
Seriously?

Also...a safety vest...

1640649646729.png

Seriously?

it is not about brightness, that is already covered. It is about how your mind works. A blinking light catches the attention, your mind is not expecting to see that and calls it out.

it is not about brightness, that is already covered. It is about how your mind works. A blinking light catches the attention, your mind is not expecting to see that and calls it out.

Exactly, well said.....

Well, if my damn-near-brighter-then-the-sun headlight is going to get lost, then a blinking light's only going to look like a turn signal.

You know, I have an idea: How about motorists simply strive to be more aware? Motorcyclists have to do it, simply because motorists tend not to. Even motorcyclists who drive cars are more careful behind the wheel. It's not hard. Is it so much to ask that you strive to be more aware of your surroundings when you're driving?

A tiny light, and riders dressed like ninja....what could go wrong?

Well, if my damn-near-brighter-then-the-sun headlight is going to get lost, then a blinking light's only going to look like a turn signal.
It may still elicit a second look. Part of the problem of motorcycles at night is that they get "swallowed" by other traffic and lights behind them.

A tiny light, and riders dressed like ninja....what could go wrong?

Honestly, you don't think you would see this? That center lamp is about 7" around; larger than many automotive headlights:

ZZ36773_A_580x.jpg

And what's the whole "dress like a ninja" thing about?

That's stupid. It makes no sense...

Last edited:
Honestly, you don't think you would see this? That center lamp is about 7" around; larger than many automotive headlights:

ZZ36773_A_580x.jpg

What the whole "dress like a ninja" thing about?

That's stupid. It makes no sense...
And yet it happens all the time, in one way or another. People misjudge the vehicle, its size, its distance, its velocity, etc.

And yet it happens all the time, in one way or another. People misjudge the vehicle, its size, its distance, its velocity, etc.

Well, then the problem is with the motorist.

I've been behind the wheel for the better part of 50 years, and I've never hit a motorcycle which was coming towards me. In fact, I don't know a single person who has. I don't know of anyone who has and then claimed they "misjudged" anything. Motorcyclists? We do our part. We do it because motorists get complacent and lazy. The onus here isn't on the bikers. It's on the motorists who refuse to get through their heads the fact that they need to be more vigilant behind the wheel...

Especially on motorcycles with just one headlight...............in the dark.....if a motorcycle is between two cars they can disappear in their combined lights....

Well, then the problem is with the motorist.

I've been behind the wheel for the better part of 50 years, and I've never hit a motorcycle which was coming towards me. In fact, I don't know a single person who has. I don't know of anyone who has and then claimed they "misjudged" anything. Motorcyclists? We do our part. We do it because motorists get complacent and lazy. The onus here isn't on the bikers. It's on the motorists who refuse to get through their heads the fact that they need to be more vigilant behind the wheel...

Yes....the bikers dress like ninja, and then complain that people say they can't see them.....

Forum List

Back