CDZ Why don't motorcycles come equipped with crash bags or air bags ?

Air crash bags would save shit

Motorbikes are a different story all together.

Very, very dangerous.

Nice but different than cars in that respect

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed
Only motorcycle accident I saw was guy passing me in the outside lane in a curve on the freeway. I watched because something didnt seem right. Turns out guy was going too fast and drifted into the wall which slapped his bike upright from its lean and threw him into oncoming traffic. Dont think it would have mattered. I also think there is a chance its been looked at and discarded.

Air crash bags would save shit

Motorbikes are a different story all together.

Very, very dangerous.

Nice but different than cars in that respect
Was watching the motorcycle crashes on YouTube, and thought that wow if they had something that could deploy, then it might work to save them.

Heck what about a parachute that would deploy if they stood on the brakes hard enough ? Not necessarily on their person, but on the back of the bike along with the air bags also in front that would deploy simultaneously. Yes motorcycles are super dangerous, especially these days. People are just driving crazy anymore it seems. Just not sure why safety isn't priority one with motorcycle companies just as well as other stuff out there it seems.

Only motorcycle accident I saw was guy passing me in the outside lane in a curve on the freeway. I watched because something didnt seem right. Turns out guy was going too fast and drifted into the wall which slapped his bike upright from its lean and threw him into oncoming traffic. Dont think it would have mattered. I also think there is a chance its been looked at and discarded.
Yep agree... In many cases it wouldn't help, but in some cases these things might help. I think I saw some cases on YouTube that the crashes could have been less damaging to the rider if some kind of safety system was in place on the bike.

Couldn't it be mounted in the center of the handle bars, and then on both sides on what is called the highway bars ?

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.
How would that make one safer in a collision with an automobile?

R.f38caf4c3b1072ad08b13b9908c3c8a9

Yep agree... In many cases it wouldn't help, but in some cases these things might help. I think I saw some cases on YouTube that the crashes could have been less damaging to the rider if some kind of safety system was in place on the bike.
I cannot think of a single case where an airbag mounted at any of the available angles on a motorcycle would do anything whatsoever to help.

Motorcycles are open and because of that they are inherently dangerous. It is just the basic reality of not being encased in metal when you are moving at 60+ miles an hour.

I've ridden motorcycles since the late 1970's.

The primary reason you don't see air bags on a bike is that the rider is not strapped to the motorcycle. In a crash, the bike goes one way and the rider goes another. An airbag would serve no purpose...

Right! you could seat Nancy Pelosi on the back or even up in front, and she absolutely will do nothing to save you... or even serve a purpose except go along for the ride and maybe decrease fuel efficiency. Same goes for every other airbag I know of !!

Seems it would save the riders life if there was some kind of safety device like that installed.
Trust us, we know the risks. My Ol' Man got my first one for me when I was 13. I'm now 77 and bought another new Harley about four years ago. Most all of my crashes have been when I raced motocross and enduros.

Like guns, if you don't want one, don't ride one.

giphy-S.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back