Motorcycles are Inherently Dangerous

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

From all indications, Treat Williams was riding legally, safely, and simply got nailed by a 4-wheel driver who didn't see him. He is now the late Treat Williams, simply because an SUV driver was a little bit inattentive. It may be an occasion to review the many reasons why motorcycles are inherently - unavoidably - dangerous.

1. Exposure to impact. Even a rider with a helmet, reinforced, fireproof clothing, armored gloves, and heavy boots is ten times more vulnerable to impacts from any direction than a driver of even a piece of shit car like a Fiat 500.
  2. Exposure to the elements. MC's are more vulnerable to rain, wind, snow & ice, potholes, foreign material on the roadway, grooved pavement, painted pavement, and so on than any car. (MC tires are very good - amazingly good - in rain).
  3. Lack of maneuverability. When a car has to, for example, make an emergency stop, the driver merely has to step on the brake pedal. A motorcyclist has to actuate two brakes (front & rear), and disengage the clutch, while struggling to maintain control of what might be a 900 pound bit of machinery. When a car has to make an instant evasive turn, say, to avoid a running deer, the driver merely has to jerk the wheel to the side. A motorcycle cannot make such a turn. An MC can swerve to avoid something on the road, but the bike itself remains headed in the same direction. A bike cannot make an instantaneous sharp turn.
  4. Low visibility. Some motorcycles are amenable to enhanced lighting, which is helpful at night, but there's no getting around the fact that MC's have less frontal area, and less visibility from either side or the back than any car. Furthermore, few MC riders put an emphasis on visibility when selecting the color of the bike or his clothing.
  5. Rider carelessness and stupidity. Most riders ride without helmets and few riders take other body protection seriously. I constantly see bikers with no helmet, a T-shirt, crappy jeans and shoes, and no gloves. Many riders flout speed limits and ride beyond their skill level on curved roads, especially highway exit ramps, which present a particularly dangerous challenge to bikes traveling at speed.
  6. Passengers are even more vulnerable than motorcycle riders. They are generally not holding on to anything, have no safety belt, and are held in place by nothing but the friction between their butts and the leather seat. It's a bit better on touring bikes with a "tour pack" (a trunk), but not much.
I have been riding since 1971 and have only had a couple of minor accidents. My last several bikes have been Touring Bikes, which are a little bit safer and lot more comfortable than other bikes. At this point I am neurotically cautious when riding and believe it or not, I enjoy it just as much now as when I was riding sport bikes.

But at age 73 my bike is for sale, and I won't seriously miss it when it's gone. At my age, even a minor spill could be life-changing, and not in a good way. I would NEVER recommend a motorcycle to a young man or woman. If they are determined to get one, I will freely offer my thoughts and suggestions, but I've found that once someone has the bug, they probably won't be deterred (by arguments like I've laid out above).

From all indications, Treat Williams was riding legally, safely, and simply got nailed by a 4-wheel driver who didn't see him. He is now the late Treat Williams, simply because an SUV driver was a little bit inattentive. It may be an occasion to review the many reasons why motorcycles are inherently - unavoidably - dangerous.

1. Exposure to impact. Even a rider with a helmet, reinforced, fireproof clothing, armored gloves, and heavy boots is ten times more vulnerable to impacts from any direction than a driver of even a piece of shit car like a Fiat 500.
  2. Exposure to the elements. MC's are more vulnerable to rain, wind, snow & ice, potholes, foreign material on the roadway, grooved pavement, painted pavement, and so on than any car. (MC tires are very good - amazingly good - in rain).
  3. Lack of maneuverability. When a car has to, for example, make an emergency stop, the driver merely has to step on the brake pedal. A motorcyclist has to actuate two brakes (front & rear), and disengage the clutch, while struggling to maintain control of what might be a 900 pound bit of machinery. When a car has to make an instant evasive turn, say, to avoid a running deer, the driver merely has to jerk the wheel to the side. A motorcycle cannot make such a turn. An MC can swerve to avoid something on the road, but the bike itself remains headed in the same direction. A bike cannot make an instantaneous sharp turn.
  4. Low visibility. Some motorcycles are amenable to enhanced lighting, which is helpful at night, but there's no getting around the fact that MC's have less frontal area, and less visibility from either side or the back than any car. Furthermore, few MC riders put an emphasis on visibility when selecting the color of the bike or his clothing.
  5. Rider carelessness and stupidity. Most riders ride without helmets and few riders take other body protection seriously. I constantly see bikers with no helmet, a T-shirt, crappy jeans and shoes, and no gloves. Many riders flout speed limits and ride beyond their skill level on curved roads, especially highway exit ramps, which present a particularly dangerous challenge to bikes traveling at speed.
  6. Passengers are even more vulnerable than motorcycle riders. They are generally not holding on to anything, have no safety belt, and are held in place by nothing but the friction between their butts and the leather seat. It's a bit better on touring bikes with a "tour pack" (a trunk), but not much.
I have been riding since 1971 and have only had a couple of minor accidents. My last several bikes have been Touring Bikes, which are a little bit safer and lot more comfortable than other bikes. At this point I am neurotically cautious when riding and believe it or not, I enjoy it just as much now as when I was riding sport bikes.

But at age 73 my bike is for sale, and I won't seriously miss it when it's gone. At my age, even a minor spill could be life-changing, and not in a good way. I would NEVER recommend a motorcycle to a young man or woman. If they are determined to get one, I will freely offer my thoughts and suggestions, but I've found that once someone has the bug, they probably won't be deterred (by arguments like I've laid out above).

He can turn left....
iu

That could have been taken from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's rider manual. I've been riding about the same time as you and currently considering the sale of my Goldwing. As much as I love riding, I have to come to grips with the effects of age. Maybe I'll trade to a used Z-4, LOL

Of course bikes are dangerous. You just now figuring that out? Emergency rooms don't call them donercycles for no reason.

It's like smoking or any other vice,.don't start it and you won't get addicted. The thrill of speed in a vehicle never appealed to me, much less with only two wheels and no barriers between myself and everything else.

I lost a brother (my best friend) to a MC accident, April 17th, 1992.

He bought a brand new Suzuki Katana 750, rode to Myrtle Beach with friends and never came home.

One month short of his 23rd birthday.

While I think MC's are cool and fun. I would never own one out of respect for my parents and the memory of his death while riding one.

In Memory of.

Charles Anthony Brooks 5/21/69-4/17/92

Didn't mean to put a bad vibe on this thread.

Ever since his death, one of my greatest fears has been that I would forget him, how he talked, laughed, etc.

Any chance I get to talk about him is good for me. Makes me feel a little better inside, somehow.
Speak your mind brother. On the contrary, your personal experience reinforces the theme of the thread with a tragic reminder that the risk is real. Sorry for your loss.

There is an illusion that is common among riders - I bought into it myself for a while. If you are neurotically careful, you can be reasonably safe. I don't think so. You cannot be safe from other drivers. Ask Treat Williams' ghost.

I rode from age 15 to 28.

When 28, I was just going down the 35 mph road, not speeding or anything, and this uh, gray Chevy Cavalier pulls dead out in front of me.

If I had hit the brakes, probably would have launched through their back and front windshield and been run over.

I jerked it to the right, slid past them with the rear brake on in the grass and was about to think about

just coming to a stop in the grass, but..there was a telephone pole with a guywire cable coming up immediately and looking to

take my right leg off.

So I jerked it back in front of the car and went to the corner and pulled over.

They never even noticed me. I only rode a few times after that. All it takes is 1 idiot and they can come from anywhere.

Oh I did a lot of crazy stuff, too. Had to let that go. I was never a wheelie man except on dirt bikes, but I could ride

with the big boys.

I’ve never had the interest in riding a motorcycle. I’ve ridden dirt bikes on vacation, but never a motorcycle

There is an illusion that is common among riders - I bought into it myself for a while. If you are neurotically careful, you can be reasonably safe. I don't think so. You cannot be safe from other drivers. Ask Treat Williams' ghost.
The answer is, as you said, motorcycle riding is an inherently dangerous activity. A rider must mitigate the risk to the best of their ability by maintaining a safe machine, riding safely w/an eye toward anticipating and identifying potential dangers. Many aspects of life require the same diligence.

Didn't mean to put a bad vibe on this thread.

Ever since his death, one of my greatest fears has been that I would forget him, how he talked, laughed, etc.

Any chance I get to talk about him is good for me. Makes me feel a little better inside, somehow.
I'm sorry for your loss. Motorcycles are fun, but no matter how careful you are, there is inherent danger in riding one.

I certainly wouldn't recommend one to anyone who has to take care of others.

I pretty much got over it when I was 28. That day with the Cavalier, that did it.

I lived that day because of quick reactions, but it could just as easily happen again, and maybe next time reactions won't

be enough to avoid injury/death.

I'm sorry for your loss. Motorcycles are fun, but no matter how careful you are, there is inherent danger in riding one.

I certainly wouldn't recommend one to anyone who has to take care of others.

I pretty much got over it when I was 28. That day with the Cavalier, that did it.

I lived that day because of quick reactions, but it could just as easily happen again, and maybe next time reactions won't

be enough to avoid injury/death.

Thanks.

My brother's lack of experience riding was most likely what caused his death. He would possibly be alive today IF he had more experience riding before the accident.

We had very little experience with motorcycles growing up. Never owned any because our father was 100% against them.

He had a few friends that owned and rode motorcycles and it was why he bought one.

Less than 1 week later, he was dead.

Thanks.

My brother's lack of experience riding was most likely what caused his death. He would possibly be alive today IF he had more experience riding before the accident.

We had very little experience with motorcycles growing up. Never owned any because our father was 100% against them.

He had a few friends that owned and rode motorcycles and it was why he bought one.

Less than 1 week later, he was dead.
That's terrible. :(

I take it he was pretty young?

Forum List

Back