CDZ When does human life begin?

Science tells us that a human life begins at conception when a new human being - who has never existed before and will never exist again - comes into existence. How do we know? DNA
Define human.

Define life.

Define begin.

Define existence.

Define knowing.

Philosophically speaking your speech is full of ass-u-me-tions.
human: a species of Homo sapiens as defined by DNA.

begin: the point in time or space at which something starts.

existence: the fact or state of living or having objective reality.

knowing: showing or suggesting that one has awareness or understanding

If life begins at conception, does that make all those frozen zygotes contained in freezers,at in vitro fertilization clinics human beings? YES. When those clinics purge their freezer space, are they committing mass murder? YES.

If life begins at conception, should a pregnant woman claim her embryo as a dependent on her taxes before she gives birth? NO. Can a woman pregnant with twins legally drive in the HOV lane? DOUBTFUL.

If life ends when your heart stops beating, perhaps life starts when it first begins beating.
That's the thing, science does not define life by a beating heart. Science defines life as anything which has certain characteristics that all living things have.

The 7 Characteristics of Life

Characteristics of living things
If we are talking only animal life and not plant life I still contend that the life of that animal "begins" at the start of a heart beat and ends with the stopping of the heart beat. In the 7 characteristics of life listed, the first two characteristics describe composition but not animation. IMO a clump of cells or a more highly organized system with cells and organs is not "alive" until the "engine" starts.

Looked at another way, the last 5 characteristics of life cease immediately with the stoppage of the heart. And through decomposition, the first 2 describing cellular composition are eventually gone as well.

I am in NO WAY making a statement on if or when it's ok to abort a fetus. That is a different discussion altogether.

Science does not say that human life begins at conception. But there was a thread here that described a scientific theory that the entire universe is fit for a bio centric model.

This question is really controversial.
In my opinion human life begins in the moment a woman gives birth to her child!
As I said before it's a controversial matter so my opinion doesn't mean anything for the others :)

Science does not say that human life begins at conception. But there was a thread here that described a scientific theory that the entire universe is fit for a bio centric model.
"After fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being...[this] is no longer a matter of taste or opinion, it is not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence...." - Dr Jerome LeJeune, Professor of Genetics at the University of Descartes, Paris, discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down's Syndrome, and Nobel Prize Winner, Report, Subcommittee on Separation of Powers to Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, 97th Congress, 1st Session 198

If life ends when your heart stops beating, perhaps life starts when it first begins beating.
That's the thing, science does not define life by a beating heart. Science defines life as anything which has certain characteristics that all living things have.

If we are talking only animal life and not plant life I still contend that the life of that animal "begins" at the start of a heart beat and ends with the stopping of the heart beat. In the 7 characteristics of life listed, the first two characteristics describe composition but not animation. IMO a clump of cells or a more highly organized system with cells and organs is not "alive" until the "engine" starts.

Looked at another way, the last 5 characteristics of life cease immediately with the stoppage of the heart. And through decomposition, the first 2 describing cellular composition are eventually gone as well.

I am in NO WAY making a statement on if or when it's ok to abort a fetus. That is a different discussion altogether.
Ok, but there are no scientists who support that position. Every single embryology textbook states that a new human being comes into existence at conception.

"After fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being...[this] is no longer a matter of taste or opinion, it is not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence...." - Dr Jerome LeJeune, Professor of Genetics at the University of Descartes, Paris, discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down's Syndrome, and Nobel Prize Winner, Report, Subcommittee on Separation of Powers to Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, 97th Congress, 1st Session 198
This is not true, because DNA alone is not life. In fact, viruses also have DNA, but they are only live within their hosts. If extracted, they are simply crystals.

As I said before it's a controversial matter so my opinion doesn't mean anything for the others :)
But your opinion matters. Even in science, opinion makes up half the cases, which is why every science develops in trends, not in random. Even natural sciences.

Yes, your opinion matters. Even in science, opinion makes up half the cases, which is why every science develops in trends, not in random. Even natural sciences.
Thanks anotherlife! I appreciate the fact you think my opinion matters! :bye1:

Yes, your opinion matters. Even in science, opinion makes up half the cases, which is why every science develops in trends, not in random. Even natural sciences.
Actually, I heard a theory, that human life begins after you learn to speak, and what happens before it is just bio function. They explain the lack of memories before speech with this theory. I think this is very controversial.

Actually, I heard a theory, that human life begins after you learn to speak, and what happens before it is just bio function. They explain the lack of memories before speech with this theory. I think this is very controversial.
It's an interesting theory!
Who knows maybe it's true ;)

Ok, but there are no scientists who support that position. Every single embryology textbook states that a new human being comes into existence at conception.
Maybe it is a matter of semantics. "Life begins" to me means things like animation and consciousness. The collection of cells is the necessary structure for life to begin. But life hasn't begun until things are wiggling, neurons firing, fluids flowing etc.

This is not true, because DNA alone is not life. In fact, viruses also have DNA, but they are only live within their hosts. If extracted, they are simply crystals.
A virus is an infective agent that typically consists of a nucleic acid molecule in a protein coat, is too small to be seen by light microscopy, and is able to multiply only within the living cells of a host. It has DNA as its genetic material and replicates using a DNA-dependent DNA polymerase. The nucleic acid is usually double-stranded DNA (dsDNA) but may also be single-stranded DNA (ssDNA). DNA viruses belong to either Group I or Group II of the Baltimore classification system for viruses.

A zygote is a genetically distinct new human being which has never existed before. All human beings began life this way. No human being has ever begun life as a virus.

Where did you hear this exactly?

Maybe it is a matter of semantics. "Life begins" to me means things like animation and consciousness. The collection of cells is the necessary structure for life to begin. But life hasn't begun until things are wiggling, neurons firing, fluids flowing etc.
Not according to science. The science is definitive on this matter.

“….it is scientifically correct to say that human life begins at conception.”

Dr. Micheline Matthews-Roth, Harvard Medical School: Quoted by Public Affairs Council

Forum List

Back