The modern day police officer has become the old Vietnam vet

More communist propaganda. More bullshit piled higher and deeper. During WWII Good ole "Uncle Ho" received aid from the Allies in his fight against the Japanese. The area was then known as Indochina or considered part of China, or part of Japan, or part of France depending on political persuasion. After WWII the French attempted to reoccupy France and Indochina and Uncle Ho was one of the rebel leaders that opposed them and eventually drove them out. At that time he was allied with, and supplied by, the communists while the US considered France an ally as we had during WWII. Ho might have considered himself a "National Hero", but there was in fact no Nation to be a hero of, nor is there any evidence that he was widely liked by the people of the area.

I think you are a little confused on the history. Vietnam was part of French Indo-China, but it also had a national Identity. It wasn't technically a 'colony", it was a protectorate, with an Monarch who was a French puppet. The French never technically "lost" Indochina, they in fact continued to administer it through the Vichy Regime. The Vietnamese Monarch abdicated at the insistence of Ho after the Japanese surrenders.

When the area-by international treaty- divided into the two separate Countries of North Vietnam and South Vietnam (as Korea had been) the people were given a time period to move to the Nation they prefered. Hundreds of thousands of the people left everything they owned, and that their ancestors left them, behind and voted with their feet and moved to South Vietnam rather than be governed by Uncle Ho and his communist butt buddies.

Actually, that was slightly inaccurate. The people who fled to the South were Vietnam's Catholic minority, because the Church told them they would get better treatment under the regime of Diem than under the Communists. We are only talking about hundreds of thousands out of a population of millions. Far more people in South Vietnam joined the Viet Cong to attempt to dislodge first the Diem regime, and then the regime we propped up.

Let's take a minute to talk about the political situation. The aforementioned Emperor was a guy named Bao Dai. He was part of the Nguyen Dynasty, which had ruled Annam (Vietnam) since 1802, long before the French showed up. He was deposed by Ho in 1945 when he declared the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, but the French tried to prop him up in the South. He was deposed again by Diem with his corrupt Catholic clique and Diem himself was deposed after JFK gave a wink and a nod to the South Vietnamese military. Most of those guys were HATED by the Vietnamese people because they had gotten their military training being French collaborators. They were also as corrupt as all shit, and probably stole most of the aid we sent to the place.

The US soldier did not fight for a corrupt government (except maybe our own) but in an effort to protect the South Vietnamese people from annihilation by the communists who had every intention of ruling the world which made their defeat in our best interests also. You think Ho's government was any less "corrupt" than the South Vietnamese government? If so think again.

Yeah, actually, they were the worst kind of corrupt, the kind of corrupt that would sell their country out to foreigners to get rich. In most of the world people who do that are considered traitors. Ky and Theiu just jumped from the French to us, diverting the aid we sent to their offshore bank accounts. Theiu ended his life living in a nice mansion in Massachusetts.

It was actually the US Congress that ended the war when they stopped all US support while N. Vietnam continued to be rearmed and supplied by China and the USSR. Guns don't work well when you're out of bullets and your enemy isn't.

I doubt they fired every last bullet they had.

Here, I'll fix it for you.

Guns don't work well when the people handling them don't want to fire them and the enemy does.

We got in the middle of someone else's civil war, and we backed the wrong side.
So you are still trying to sell the idea that Ho's North Vietnamese communist government which was known to slaughter it's own civilians when they found it expedient to do so was less corrupt than the South Vietnamese government. That plainly makes you an idiot. The VC-which were essentially annihilated during Tet '68- were always largely covert NVA and almost entirely after Tet. Any sympathy S. Vietnam civilians had for Ho and his N. Vietnam was replaced by the many massive and brutal atrocities committed by the VC/NVA. Massacre at Huế
South Vietnam's Army proved itself both willing and able to defend itself as long as we were willing to continue to rearm and resupply them in similar fashion to what the communists were doing for the North Vietnamese aggressors. North Vietnamese Army's 1972 Eastertide Offensive
S. Vietnam was simply betrayed by the US Congress just like many US troops were betrayed by some of the US people. That should be a source of shame for all Americans.

Nonsense.
Ho Chi Minh was the hero of all Vietnam due to his defeat of the French and liberating the whole country.
There was no one significantly against Ho in all of Vietnam.
Otherwise Diem would not have had to use the military to take over by force.

There were no brutal atrocities by the north, compared to the US napalming villages, with free fire zones and agent orange.
And the idea the US Congress betrayed the South Vietnamese is a joke.
We were paying them to fight and when we stopped paying them, they stopped fighting.
That is not exactly a struggle for freedom.

Go back and look at the Paris Peace Accord.
The US had no right or authority to even be there, and they were just supposed to have a national plebiscite we prevented. That is not how democracy works.
Absolutely no truth in any of your post which is why you present no evidence of any of your bullshit claims. More parroting of communist propaganda. Any idiot who can read actual history knows better. I was there. My eyes and ears were wide open. Your eagerness to call me a liar only reinforces OP"s point.

Your premise that American soldiers killing people in Vietnam allows the Jane Fonda’s of the nation the freedom to speak out, is flawed. Their killing and destroying only benefits the wealthy oligarchy, but does great harm to the rest of us. It doesn’t protect us or allow us to live in peace.

This in no way approves of the treatment of Vietnam veterans by some Americans, when they returned home. They were merely pawns in the game.

I don't know of anyone who spat on Vietnam veterans. I have never even heard of such behavior second hand.
You have now. I was a target for such and was witness to more serious demonstrations of hatred including assault. Anyone able to watch the evening news or read a newspaper was aware. No excuse for your not knowing.

Does anyone remember or ,learned of the time when Vietnam Vets would come home to the states after the war in the 1960s, only to be spit on by the Left in their own country? Can you imagine fighting a war in the jungles of Vietnam having just surrendered years of your life or lost buddies during the conflict that became closer than family, a war where you came back after being exposed to Agent Orange only to find out that the government would deny you health care, along with the myriad of soldiers who committed suicide because they could no longer live with the demons created in the minds of these poor Vets during that horrific war? You are then confronted to a society that has learned to hate you because the media only reported instances where Vietnam Vets may have committed a war crime, mind you all wars have war crimes. It does not matter the war or races involved. But in the minds of many in the public, all Vets became baby killers. What is ironic today is, the Left loves real baby killers as they openly embrace abortion on demand.

I was listening to Dennis Prager today and he said something very profound. He speculates as to why the Left hated the Vietnam Vet as well as the modern day police officer. His theory is that the Left hates those that fight evil because Leftism is based upon an evil premise. Just look at the author of the Left, Karl Marx, who was also a racist. (I realize those on the Left don't care that he was a racist, which speaks volumes as well as to their love of evil). It is a man whom Marxist despots throughout time have murdered hundreds of millions of people, and those were the lucky ones who died because they did not have to live in a society that was stripped of all hope and freedom.

Now I'm not going to get into a debate as to whether the US should have gotten into the Vietnam war. After all, there is evil all over the globe, it consumes it, but does that mean the US should get into a war in all those instances? No. However, there is little debate, that is for those with a knowledge of history or personal experience, that communism is evil. Just look at the US involvement in Korea. Half the country, after being divided after the war, is free and the other slaves living in misery.

And so it goes, police officers are also there to fight evil. However, this is a duty of the US government, to fight evil within it's own borders. Without this duty being fulfilled, government has no purpose.. You might even say that as the Left continues to wage war on the police, whether it be constantly accusing them of racism, or whether it be defunding them, or whether it be causing many police to quit their jobs or cause others not to want the job, the Left is causing government to have less and less legitimacy every day. In fact, as they attack the police, that is those who can use deadly force to defend you against deadly force, they want to also take away your guns. Have they even wondered how they will take away everyone's guns without a police force? LOL.

So as we see the Jane Fonda's of the world in the press spit on the very foundation that gave them wealth, that lets them live in peace, etc., just remember that the Left hates those that fight the very evil in the world that would take all those things from them.

View attachment 486210

I served in Viet Nam in 1969 in the A Shau Valley with the 101st Airborne. It was hell. I came home and was ignored. or sneered at. I have never forgotten the asshole liberals (now the fascist liberals) and their bullshit.

I DESPISE liberals and will always hate their worthless guts. Yes, cops are the new Vietnam Veteran. It's a damned shame.

Your premise that American soldiers killing people in Vietnam allows the Jane Fonda’s of the nation the freedom to speak out, is flawed. Their killing and destroying only benefits the wealthy oligarchy, but does great harm to the rest of us. It doesn’t protect us or allow us to live in peace.

This in no way approves of the treatment of Vietnam veterans by some Americans, when they returned home. They were merely pawns in the game.

I don't know of anyone who spat on Vietnam veterans. I have never even heard of such behavior second hand.
You have now. I was a target for such and was witness to more serious demonstrations of hatred including assault. Anyone able to watch the evening news or read a newspaper was aware. No excuse for your not knowing.

Willful ignorance on their part.

Does anyone remember or ,learned of the time when Vietnam Vets would come home to the states after the war in the 1960s, only to be spit on by the Left in their own country? Can you imagine fighting a war in the jungles of Vietnam having just surrendered years of your life or lost buddies during the conflict that became closer than family, a war where you came back after being exposed to Agent Orange only to find out that the government would deny you health care, along with the myriad of soldiers who committed suicide because they could no longer live with the demons created in the minds of these poor Vets during that horrific war? You are then confronted to a society that has learned to hate you because the media only reported instances where Vietnam Vets may have committed a war crime, mind you all wars have war crimes. It does not matter the war or races involved. But in the minds of many in the public, all Vets became baby killers. What is ironic today is, the Left loves real baby killers as they openly embrace abortion on demand.

I was listening to Dennis Prager today and he said something very profound. He speculates as to why the Left hated the Vietnam Vet as well as the modern day police officer. His theory is that the Left hates those that fight evil because Leftism is based upon an evil premise. Just look at the author of the Left, Karl Marx, who was also a racist. (I realize those on the Left don't care that he was a racist, which speaks volumes as well as to their love of evil). It is a man whom Marxist despots throughout time have murdered hundreds of millions of people, and those were the lucky ones who died because they did not have to live in a society that was stripped of all hope and freedom.

Now I'm not going to get into a debate as to whether the US should have gotten into the Vietnam war. After all, there is evil all over the globe, it consumes it, but does that mean the US should get into a war in all those instances? No. However, there is little debate, that is for those with a knowledge of history or personal experience, that communism is evil. Just look at the US involvement in Korea. Half the country, after being divided after the war, is free and the other slaves living in misery.

And so it goes, police officers are also there to fight evil. However, this is a duty of the US government, to fight evil within it's own borders. Without this duty being fulfilled, government has no purpose.. You might even say that as the Left continues to wage war on the police, whether it be constantly accusing them of racism, or whether it be defunding them, or whether it be causing many police to quit their jobs or cause others not to want the job, the Left is causing government to have less and less legitimacy every day. In fact, as they attack the police, that is those who can use deadly force to defend you against deadly force, they want to also take away your guns. Have they even wondered how they will take away everyone's guns without a police force? LOL.

So as we see the Jane Fonda's of the world in the press spit on the very foundation that gave them wealth, that lets them live in peace, etc., just remember that the Left hates those that fight the very evil in the world that would take all those things from them.

View attachment 486210

I served in Viet Nam in 1969 in the A Shau Valley with the 101st Airborne. It was hell. I came home and was ignored. or sneered at. I have never forgotten the asshole liberals (now the fascist liberals) and their bullshit.

I DESPISE liberals and will always hate their worthless guts. Yes, cops are the new Vietnam Veteran. It's a damned shame.
Thank you for your service.

Absolutely no truth in any of your post which is why you present no evidence of any of your bullshit claims. More parroting of communist propaganda. Any idiot who can read actual history knows better. I was there. My eyes and ears were wide open. Your eagerness to call me a liar only reinforces OP"s point.

So you were there. So what? The point is, when push came to shove, the ARVN's dropped their weapons and gave up while the Quislings got on planes with their stolen gold.

Oh, wait, what did you expect, a Parade? Most of the guys who served in WWII didn't get a parade.

I do think the way Vietnam vets were treated by the GOVERNMENT was shameful. But if it weren't for the brave people who stood up to the government and said, "THIS IS WRONG", that black wall in Washington would be a lot bigger for no good reason.

No cops are not the new Vietnam Vets. They are more like the New Catholic Clergy. The good ones are being punished for the behavior of the bad apples they've tolerated.

Actually, if you want a real metaphor for what the Cops are today, I would use the Catholic Clergy.

The Catholic Clergy had a problem. They had priests who liked to have sex with children and abused their authority. The problem wasn't that all Clergy were pedophiles, most of them weren't. Just like most cops aren't racists who abuse their authority.

The problem is, the majority of good priests were way too willing to tolerate the bad ones. They got a report of Father McFeely, they didn't turn him over to the cops, they moved him to a new parish, made him say a bunch of Hail Marys and didn't warn his new congregation why they moved him. Then he'd do it again. Rinse, Wash, Repeat. Even though the Church has taken steps to purge out the creeps, they've still suffered a black eye from these incidents.

Same problem with Cops. They saw a Chauvin or a Van Dyke abusing his authority or acting in an inappropriate way, and they all turned a blind eye. They filed reports that downplayed misconduct. The unions went to the mattresses to protect even the worst offenders. So, yes, the whole institution of policing has gotten a bad rep from a few bad actors.

So you were there. So what? The point is, when push came to shove, the ARVN's dropped their weapons and gave up while the Quislings got on planes with their stolen gold.

Oh, wait, what did you expect, a Parade? Most of the guys who served in WWII didn't get a parade.

I do think the way Vietnam vets were treated by the GOVERNMENT was shameful. But if it weren't for the brave people who stood up to the government and said, "THIS IS WRONG", that black wall in Washington would be a lot bigger for no good reason.

No cops are not the new Vietnam Vets. They are more like the New Catholic Clergy. The good ones are being punished for the behavior of the bad apples they've tolerated.
So you were there. So what?
The point is, when push came to shove, the ARVN's dropped their weapons and gave up while the Quislings got on planes with their stolen gold.

So what I saw and know is based largely on personal observation and experience while your wild-eyed accusations and bullshit is based on nothing more than rumor and imagination.
So I tried to help villagers whose relatives were raped tortured and then murdered slowly in front of them by the VC/NVA as a lesson in what happens if they cooperate with Americans or the S. Vietnamese government.
So-when called-I went. And allowed my life to be at risk in my efforts to keep as many American boys alive and well as possible. Only to be slandered and betrayed by the very people we were fighting for. We are somewhat less than fond of those folks. And you are a truly fine example that even after 50 yrs. some are determined to continue the slander. I suggest you take great care who you voice that silly shit in front of. At this point the thought of a life sentence is no big deal.

The point is, when push came to shove, the ARVN's dropped their weapons and gave up while the Quislings got on planes with their stolen gold.

So what I saw and know is based largely on personal observation and experience while your wild-eyed accusations and bullshit is based on nothing more than rumor and imagination.
So I tried to help villagers whose relatives were raped tortured and then murdered slowly in front of them by the VC/NVA as a lesson in what happens if they cooperate with Americans or the S. Vietnamese government.
So-when called-I went. And allowed my life to be at risk in my efforts to keep as many American boys alive and well as possible. Only to be slandered and betrayed by the very people we were fighting for. We are somewhat less than fond of those folks. And you are a truly fine example that even after 50 yrs. some are determined to continue the slander. I suggest you take great care who you voice that silly shit in front of. At this point the thought of a life sentence is no big deal.
That's precisely why I do not engage assholes such as these. Been used to it since I got back years ago. Screw 'em.

View attachment 486217

As we look at this picture of Korea at night, I have two thoughts

How does the Left look at this picture?

1. Do they look at it as South Korea being better off due to it's freedom at night

2. Or do they look at this picture thinking of the reduced carbon emissions in North Korea that should be the model for us all?

What does everyone think? Which choice is more likely the case?
Nature Is a Crime Against Humanity

I go a lot farther than the appeasing Right will allow; after all, the Trustfundie Treehuggers are their own sons. They only object to the economic consequences of going too far with environmentalism and conservation. Viruses can only survive in Clean Air, which is the most toxic of all atmospheres. The Green New Deal is a Dead Man's Hand.

Protestors spitting on soldiers is an overblown myth started by those who feared the hippies were getting too much mainstream support for ending the dirtiest war America ever fought. For the most part the antiwar protestors saved their rage for the generals and politicians who perpetuated the war. Those people deserved way worse than spit.
Guilty Guillotine-Fodder

The protesters weren't anti-war; they were spoiled sheltered snobs who were brought up resenting the respect that plebeian GIs got from World War II. Their fathers rule us all, so the purpose of the Vietnam War was to kill off or take the fight out of the bravest of those born in the working class. Mission accomplished.

and the studies of historians, military experts, and of course, the end result that the Communists won.

So by your logic, I'd have had to have served in WWII, The Crimean War, or the Thirty Years War to understand what they were about....

Or maybe I can stand back, look at them objectively because I don't have a personal stake in evaluating it.

Uh, yeah. Because the ARVN and US Army never raped anyone.... um, no, wait, they totally did. Did you forget the whole Mai Lai thing?

As another American Military Man said, "War is Hell".

So wow, people attacked collaborators... uh, happens in every war. You should read about some of the things the Free French did to the Vichy French.

So-when called-I went. And allowed my life to be at risk in my efforts to keep as many American boys alive and well as possible. Only to be slandered and betrayed by the very people we were fighting for. We are somewhat less than fond of those folks.

Okay. Except the people you were fighting for really didn't want you to fight.

You see, this funny thing happened to America after Saigon fell... Um. Nothing. It had no effect on the lives of average Americans. I mean, it kind of sucked if you were a South Vietnamese Quisling and you didn't get out in time. But your average American really have any change in their lives. A lot of those Americans looked at us bombing, defoliating, napalming, relocating villages into strategic hamlets, raiding their villages and giving each other medals for doing so, and wondered, "Why are we doing this?" You did something in the name of the American people the American people wanted no part of at the time, that's the problem. Not your fault, you were a soldier and you did what you were told. I get that, I was in for 11 years.. I did what I was told, even when I started to think the whole thing was stupid, I still saluted and marched.

And you are a truly fine example that even after 50 yrs. some are determined to continue the slander. I suggest you take great care who you voice that silly shit in front of. At this point the thought of a life sentence is no big deal.

Yeah, "That elderly man is going to kick my ass" said no one ever. Look, buddy, I get that you are bitter that you didn't get a parade at the time. Yes, the government used you and didn't treat you right afterwards. But that was a fucked up war we never should have fought to start with. Because our politicians of both parties were too cowardly to end this in 1965, because no one wanted to be at the discussion of "Who Lost Vietnam" until enough Americans didn't care if we lost it or not.

Protestors spitting on soldiers is an overblown myth started by those who feared the hippies were getting too much mainstream support for ending the dirtiest war America ever fought. For the most part the antiwar protestors saved their rage for the generals and politicians who perpetuated the war. Those people deserved way worse than spit.

Actually, it wasn't even that. The myth really didn't start appearing until the 1980's.

Lembcke writes:

If spitting on veterans had occurred all that frequently, surely some veteran or soldier would have called it to the attention of the press at the time. … Indeed, we would imagine that news reporters would have been camping in the lobby of the San Francisco airport, cameras in hand, just waiting for a chance to record the real thing—if, that is, they had any reason to believe that such incidents might occur.

In researching the book, Lembcke found no news accounts or even claims from the late 1960s or early 1970s of vets getting spat at. He did, however, uncover ample news stories about anti-war protesters receiving the saliva shower from anti-anti-war types.

Then, starting around 1980, members of the Vietnam War generation began sharing the tales, which Lembcke calls “urban myths.” As with most urban myths, the details of the spat-upon vets vary slightly from telling to telling, while the basic story remains the same. The protester almost always ambushes the soldier in an airport (not uncommonly the San Francisco airport), after he’s just flown back to the states from Asia. The soiled soldier either slinks away or does nothing.

One of the early vet-spit stories appears in First Blood, the 1982 film that was the first of the Rambo stories. John Rambo, played by Sylvester Stallone, claims to have been spat upon by protesters at the airport when he returned from Vietnam. “Protesting me. Spitting. Calling me baby killer,” Rambo says. “Who are they to protest me?”
A total lie and hardcore Leftist/Communist propaganda. I was there. I saw and experienced the spitting and much worse. The left simply would like to rewrite history in an attempt to look a little less like the anti-American pro-communist traitors many of them were at this time. I was an American soldier; not some kind of war monger. I served because my Country called on me to do so. I believed it to be my duty as an American citizen to serve if called. Still do. The many sniveling cowards who ran off to become Canadians were just like those who order big expensive meals but vanish when it's time to pay the check. All take; no give. And those traitors like Jane Fonda and John Kerry who actively worked for the enemy during time of war should have faced a firing squad and continue to deserve to.

Don't forget the treason of George H.W. Bush, who got his gutless unpatriotic little boy, DubDub, out of having to fight the Communists.

Contrary to protesters' claims, then and now, the Vietnam War did not begin without good reasons. It was a direct result of the 1945 Yalta Conference, where Roosevelt, Stalin and Churchill agreed to abandon the Vietnamese (who had helped defeat the Japanese in World War II) and give all of Indo-China back to the French. Despite U.S. economic support and military advisers, the French lost the ensuing Vietnamese independence struggle and withdrew from all of Indo-China. Vietnam ended up divided.

Actually, there was never a question during the war about the colonial possessions. They were going to be returned to their respective empires. The only Country that got any special consideration was India, because ethey had contributed so many troops to the British War Effort.

We need to remember that it was the South Vietnamese government that lost their war, not the much-maligned American soldier. American service members did not suffer defeat, even though most of us felt defeated. Policy and politics out of Washington had failed, not the military.

No, guy, the problem was that the people in the Pentagon knew that the people we were propping up were corrupt, and that Ho Chi Mihn was considered a national hero for defeating the French. The Pentagon papers proved that the government knew this before the war even started, but kept it going anyway.

Vietnam vets were raised in a society that honored veterans. Despite Sirota's contentions, Vietnam vets were a bit crushed coming home. We were not honored, but were treated as the face of an unpopular war.
I am not aware of many Vietnam vets who were not subjected to some disrespect, either personal or from the culture that called us "baby killers." We were shamed and embarrassed. My car (with a military base sticker) was "egged." I bought a wig to hide my military haircut.

Oh, noes... an "egg". What a horrifying experience. He must have been scarred for life.

But Lembcke is refuted by many other sources, including Jim Lindgren, a Northwestern University law professor who cited news accounts that documented many spitting incidents. One example: A 1967 Bucks County Courier Times article reporting that two sailors were spat on outside a high school football game by a gang of about 10 young men. One of the sailors was stabbed.

Do you have a link to that article? that sounds awfully vague.

Links to contemporary accounts... or you have nothing.
No, guy, the problem was that the people in the Pentagon knew that the people we were propping up were corrupt, and that Ho Chi Mihn was considered a national hero for defeating the French. The Pentagon papers proved that the government knew this before the war even started, but kept it going anyway.

More communist propaganda. More bullshit piled higher and deeper. During WWII Good ole "Uncle Ho" received aid from the Allies in his fight against the Japanese. The area was then known as Indochina or considered part of China, or part of Japan, or part of France depending on political persuasion. After WWII the French attempted to reoccupy France and Indochina and Uncle Ho was one of the rebel leaders that opposed them and eventually drove them out. At that time he was allied with, and supplied by, the communists while the US considered France an ally as we had during WWII. Ho might have considered himself a "National Hero", but there was in fact no Nation to be a hero of, nor is there any evidence that he was widely liked by the people of the area. When the area-by international treaty- divided into the two separate Countries of North Vietnam and South Vietnam (as Korea had been) the people were given a time period to move to the Nation they prefered. Hundreds of thousands of the people left everything they owned, and that their ancestors left them, behind and voted with their feet and moved to South Vietnam rather than be governed by Uncle Ho and his communist butt buddies. This was not the action of people that were very fond of their potential new leader. The US soldier did not fight for a corrupt government (except maybe our own) but in an effort to protect the South Vietnamese people from annihilation by the communists who had every intention of ruling the world which made their defeat in our best interests also. You think Ho's government was any less "corrupt" than the South Vietnamese government? If so think again.
The Boat People Were Chickenhawks

The South Vietnamese were cowards, crooks, and collaborators. Treating such scum as allies cost over 50,000 American lives. Their refugees never should have been let into our country, where our transnationalist government has given them many unearned benefits that our own people are excluded from.

A typical betrayal was that we Marines were sent into an area where the South Vietnamese Army had a peace treaty with the Viet Cong. The ARVN compound was lit up all night and never attacked.

View attachment 486210
I'm afraid it may be more like cops being similar to the Catholic Church after a relatively few clerics raped children, but the clerics in charge swept it under the rug (so to speak) and as a result the American church became essentially a financal dead man walking led by fools that most view as necessary fools.

Contrary to protesters' claims, then and now, the Vietnam War did not begin without good reasons. It was a direct result of the 1945 Yalta Conference, where Roosevelt, Stalin and Churchill agreed to abandon the Vietnamese (who had helped defeat the Japanese in World War II) and give all of Indo-China back to the French. Despite U.S. economic support and military advisers, the French lost the ensuing Vietnamese independence struggle and withdrew from all of Indo-China. Vietnam ended up divided.

Actually, there was never a question during the war about the colonial possessions. They were going to be returned to their respective empires. The only Country that got any special consideration was India, because ethey had contributed so many troops to the British War Effort.

We need to remember that it was the South Vietnamese government that lost their war, not the much-maligned American soldier. American service members did not suffer defeat, even though most of us felt defeated. Policy and politics out of Washington had failed, not the military.

Vietnam vets were raised in a society that honored veterans. Despite Sirota's contentions, Vietnam vets were a bit crushed coming home. We were not honored, but were treated as the face of an unpopular war.
I am not aware of many Vietnam vets who were not subjected to some disrespect, either personal or from the culture that called us "baby killers." We were shamed and embarrassed. My car (with a military base sticker) was "egged." I bought a wig to hide my military haircut.

Oh, noes... an "egg". What a horrifying experience. He must have been scarred for life.

But Lembcke is refuted by many other sources, including Jim Lindgren, a Northwestern University law professor who cited news accounts that documented many spitting incidents. One example: A 1967 Bucks County Courier Times article reporting that two sailors were spat on outside a high school football game by a gang of about 10 young men. One of the sailors was stabbed.

Do you have a link to that article? that sounds awfully vague.

Links to contemporary accounts... or you have nothing.

More communist propaganda. More bullshit piled higher and deeper. During WWII Good ole "Uncle Ho" received aid from the Allies in his fight against the Japanese. The area was then known as Indochina or considered part of China, or part of Japan, or part of France depending on political persuasion. After WWII the French attempted to reoccupy France and Indochina and Uncle Ho was one of the rebel leaders that opposed them and eventually drove them out. At that time he was allied with, and supplied by, the communists while the US considered France an ally as we had during WWII. Ho might have considered himself a "National Hero", but there was in fact no Nation to be a hero of, nor is there any evidence that he was widely liked by the people of the area. When the area-by international treaty- divided into the two separate Countries of North Vietnam and South Vietnam (as Korea had been) the people were given a time period to move to the Nation they prefered. Hundreds of thousands of the people left everything they owned, and that their ancestors left them, behind and voted with their feet and moved to South Vietnam rather than be governed by Uncle Ho and his communist butt buddies. This was not the action of people that were very fond of their potential new leader. The US soldier did not fight for a corrupt government (except maybe our own) but in an effort to protect the South Vietnamese people from annihilation by the communists who had every intention of ruling the world which made their defeat in our best interests also. You think Ho's government was any less "corrupt" than the South Vietnamese government? If so think again.
The Boat People Were Chickenhawks

The South Vietnamese were cowards, crooks, and collaborators. Treating such scum as allies cost over 50,000 American lives. Their refugees never should have been let into our country, where our transnationalist government has given them many unearned benefits that our own people are excluded from.

A typical betrayal was that we Marines were sent into an area where the South Vietnamese Army had a peace treaty with the Viet Cong. The ARVN compound was lit up all night and never attacked.
Untrue. And I don't believe you were there or a Marine.

More communist propaganda. More bullshit piled higher and deeper. During WWII Good ole "Uncle Ho" received aid from the Allies in his fight against the Japanese. The area was then known as Indochina or considered part of China, or part of Japan, or part of France depending on political persuasion. After WWII the French attempted to reoccupy France and Indochina and Uncle Ho was one of the rebel leaders that opposed them and eventually drove them out. At that time he was allied with, and supplied by, the communists while the US considered France an ally as we had during WWII. Ho might have considered himself a "National Hero", but there was in fact no Nation to be a hero of, nor is there any evidence that he was widely liked by the people of the area.

I think you are a little confused on the history. Vietnam was part of French Indo-China, but it also had a national Identity. It wasn't technically a 'colony", it was a protectorate, with an Monarch who was a French puppet. The French never technically "lost" Indochina, they in fact continued to administer it through the Vichy Regime. The Vietnamese Monarch abdicated at the insistence of Ho after the Japanese surrenders.

When the area-by international treaty- divided into the two separate Countries of North Vietnam and South Vietnam (as Korea had been) the people were given a time period to move to the Nation they prefered. Hundreds of thousands of the people left everything they owned, and that their ancestors left them, behind and voted with their feet and moved to South Vietnam rather than be governed by Uncle Ho and his communist butt buddies.

Actually, that was slightly inaccurate. The people who fled to the South were Vietnam's Catholic minority, because the Church told them they would get better treatment under the regime of Diem than under the Communists. We are only talking about hundreds of thousands out of a population of millions. Far more people in South Vietnam joined the Viet Cong to attempt to dislodge first the Diem regime, and then the regime we propped up.

Let's take a minute to talk about the political situation. The aforementioned Emperor was a guy named Bao Dai. He was part of the Nguyen Dynasty, which had ruled Annam (Vietnam) since 1802, long before the French showed up. He was deposed by Ho in 1945 when he declared the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, but the French tried to prop him up in the South. He was deposed again by Diem with his corrupt Catholic clique and Diem himself was deposed after JFK gave a wink and a nod to the South Vietnamese military. Most of those guys were HATED by the Vietnamese people because they had gotten their military training being French collaborators. They were also as corrupt as all shit, and probably stole most of the aid we sent to the place.

The US soldier did not fight for a corrupt government (except maybe our own) but in an effort to protect the South Vietnamese people from annihilation by the communists who had every intention of ruling the world which made their defeat in our best interests also. You think Ho's government was any less "corrupt" than the South Vietnamese government? If so think again.

Yeah, actually, they were the worst kind of corrupt, the kind of corrupt that would sell their country out to foreigners to get rich. In most of the world people who do that are considered traitors. Ky and Theiu just jumped from the French to us, diverting the aid we sent to their offshore bank accounts. Theiu ended his life living in a nice mansion in Massachusetts.

It was actually the US Congress that ended the war when they stopped all US support while N. Vietnam continued to be rearmed and supplied by China and the USSR. Guns don't work well when you're out of bullets and your enemy isn't.

I doubt they fired every last bullet they had.

Here, I'll fix it for you.

Guns don't work well when the people handling them don't want to fire them and the enemy does.

We got in the middle of someone else's civil war, and we backed the wrong side.
So you are still trying to sell the idea that Ho's North Vietnamese communist government which was known to slaughter it's own civilians when they found it expedient to do so was less corrupt than the South Vietnamese government. That plainly makes you an idiot. The VC-which were essentially annihilated during Tet '68- were always largely covert NVA and almost entirely after Tet. Any sympathy S. Vietnam civilians had for Ho and his N. Vietnam was replaced by the many massive and brutal atrocities committed by the VC/NVA. Massacre at Huế
South Vietnam's Army proved itself both willing and able to defend itself as long as we were willing to continue to rearm and resupply them in similar fashion to what the communists were doing for the North Vietnamese aggressors. North Vietnamese Army's 1972 Eastertide Offensive
S. Vietnam was simply betrayed by the US Congress just like many US troops were betrayed by some of the US people. That should be a source of shame for all Americans.

Nonsense.
Ho Chi Minh was the hero of all Vietnam due to his defeat of the French and liberating the whole country.
There was no one significantly against Ho in all of Vietnam.
Otherwise Diem would not have had to use the military to take over by force.

There were no brutal atrocities by the north, compared to the US napalming villages, with free fire zones and agent orange.
And the idea the US Congress betrayed the South Vietnamese is a joke.
We were paying them to fight and when we stopped paying them, they stopped fighting.
That is not exactly a struggle for freedom.

Go back and look at the Paris Peace Accord.
The US had no right or authority to even be there, and they were just supposed to have a national plebiscite we prevented. That is not how democracy works.

For Ho Chi Minh to be able to beat the French required huge support by the people.
And no Vietnamese would have been against him, except for those who collaborated with the French and Japanese invaders.
Even President Eisenhower said so, that Ho Chi Minh would easily have won any election.

{...
Source: Dwight D. Eisenhower, Mandate for Change, 1953-1956 ( Garden City, NY: Doubleday & Co, Inc, 1963), pp. 337-38

... It was generally conceded that had an election been held, Ho Chi Minh would have been elected Premier.
...}

That's precisely why I do not engage assholes such as these. Been used to it since I got back years ago. Screw 'em.

The Vietnam vets were mostly kids and drafted.
They just did not know better.
But police are adults, volunteers, and well paid.
They do know better but still fail to uphold the basic requirements of a democratic republic.

You have less credibility than anyone here and certainly have never put your life on the line like the people you are dishonoring.

I served for 11 years, thanks. I still am slightly deaf in one ear from a training related issue.

But the whole spitting thing is a bunch of lies, it never happened.

Now, I get why some Vietnam vets are bitter, they never got the appreciation that WWII vets got. (Or Gulf War vets, for that matter.)

Do you even have a conscience?

More of one that you do. I just don't let cheap emotions trump fact.

The irony here is, you are the real baby killer, along with the DNC who wants me to pay for killing babies in the womb to add insult to injury.

Uh, fetuses aren't babies. If you guys were serious about less fetuses being killed, you'd support single payer health care and paid family leave.
The anti war venom was massive. Fonda was wrong for going to North Viet Nam. The Prog politicians in the 1960's set this war up. And many activists have achieved some level of power and became war mongers themselves.

The Vietnam vets were mostly kids and drafted.
They just did not know better.
But police are adults, volunteers, and well paid.
They do know better but still fail to uphold the basic requirements of a democratic republic.

Good lord........

Forum List

Back