The Homeless

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
The top 3 reasons for homelessness in America are 1. Lack of affordable housing (many of the homeless work at jobs) 2. Unemployment, and 3 Mental illness. Nearly 25% of the homeless in America are mentally ill and unemployable. Most have no one to care for them, and with public facilities stretched thin due to COVID the problem is getting worse. Tell this to the typical conservative and you'll get the customary eye roll, followed by a few comments about "being too lazy to work" With so much wealth concentrated in the hands of so few in America, perhaps it's time to stop lying to ourselves about how much the super-rich pay in taxes, start closing the multitude of tax loopholes the rich have taken advantage of, and compel these multi billionaires to contribute to the communities they've taken so much out of.

The top 3 reasons for homelessness in America are 1. Lack of affordable housing (many of the homeless work at jobs) 2. Unemployment, and 3 Mental illness. Nearly 25% of the homeless in America are mentally ill and unemployable. Most have no one to care for them, and with public facilities stretched thin due to COVID the problem is getting worse. Tell this to the typical conservative and you'll get the customary eye roll, followed by a few comments about "being too lazy to work" With so much wealth concentrated in the hands of so few in America, perhaps it's time to stop lying to ourselves about how much the super-rich pay in taxes and start closing the multitude of tax loopholes the rich have taken advantage of, and compel these billionaires to contribute to the communities they've taken so much out of.

I don't know that it would "cost" all that much. But there's some truth to the notion that a good % of the mentally ill are non-compliant with meds because of side effects, and to be sure one of those is that meds change their reality.

We could spend a few dollars to help make sure people who want group homes with medical care have them, and those who are homeless at least have places to get food, showers and clean their clothes.

But the dems didn't pursue that small issue, and they failed to pass affordable housing too. I doubt the gop will be inclined to revisit it. A shame, really, since McConnell was actually not torpedoing bipartisan efforts.

start closing the multitude of tax loopholes the rich have taken advantage of
Just about everyone wants that done, but the duopoly cultists cant vote outside of the cult, so it will never get done.
If our govt wasnt so big, they wouldnt be picking winners and losers. We wouldnt have policies that directly affect the poor and lower middle class in a negative way.
We could go on and on about this shit but nothing will get done because America is full of lazy dumbfucks.
Basically, you said nothing new.
and compel these multi billionaires to contribute to the communities they've taken so much out of.
Despite this ignorant cliche, billionaires do give a lot. And they give a lot of their time as well. 2 to 1, compared to the 99%.

"Based on currently available numbers, there are about 31 vacant housing units for every homeless person in the U.S."
That's not much use to the mentally ill, and people who are homeless and working can't usually afford rent. I'd say rather than child tax credits, the dems should have found ways to get those folks subsidized housing and still keep their low paying jobs.

The simple fact is? The stock market, institutional investment corporations, and folks retirement portfolio's are more important than the lives of the poor in this nation, regardless of how these folks found themselves in that position.

The number of homeless in this nation are a function of how much the rich and middle class will make off the principle in the portfolio's. SO? Off course they won't really do anything about the problem. That housing has to lay dormant.

That's not much use to the mentally ill, and people who are homeless and working can't usually afford rent. I'd say rather than child tax credits, the dems should have found ways to get those folks subsidized housing and still keep their low paying jobs.
So why don't they do more to fund services to local community mental health services? Why not fund more subsidized housing through the Department of Housing and Urban Development then?

:dunno:

. . . oh, that might undermine the technocratic agenda of Vanguard and Blackrock?

9a3a6ea0541e4ab18b805f2b56a415ba.jpg

I spent many years working in big city ER's. I have encountered a bizillion homeless. I know this is not scientific but I simply don't remember one that said they could not find housing or just got fired or something. Almost without exception it was poly substance abuse and mental health. If I had a homeless person that was simply unemployed I had all kinds of social workers who could get them into housing or some program and employment etc. I almost never got to help these people get into these programs because they would not straighten up long enough. Soon as they got out of my ER it was party on.

compel these multi billionaires to contribute to the communities they've taken so much out of.
Well, that is the OP question.
Well? The simple answer is one, that the cognitive dissonance of this lefty OP doesn't want to hear. It is, that the major funders to BOTH parties, but primarily to the one that has funded the establishment candidates that has taken the WH, and paid off most congress crittters, doesn't want the homeless housed, or the poor clothed, or the hungry fed. It isn't profitable.

And you needn't stick to liberal or conservative media to find that truth.

I looked all this up once and truthfully not doing it again right now. Tom Steyer and groupies are some of the biggest scammers in the nation per getting federal welfare for housing creation. I'm sure their are others but he stood out when I checked it all. He gets grants to build and money from section 8 to keep those full. Now he could care less how high property taxes are when they go up to keep him and his buddies in funds. I doubt you are going to get to actually do things in an efficient manner to stop the homelessness unless these big dogs get a cut.

I spent many years working in big city ER's. I have encountered a bizillion homeless. I know this is not scientific but I simply don't remember one that said they could not find housing or just got fired or something. Almost without exception it was poly substance abuse and mental health. If I had a homeless person that was simply unemployed I had all kinds of social workers who could get them into housing or some program and employment etc. I almost never got to help these people get into these programs because they would not straighten up long enough. Soon as they got out of my ER it was party on.

But there's no doubt that a good number of mentally ill people are not medically compliant. But do they need to be compliant to be "given" showers, food and clothing? From my past work experience, I don't think people should be tasked with caring for them in group homes. It wouldn't be too hard to find shelters they could sleep in on cold nights ... provided they were peaceful.

There are tons of social rescue agencies and government agencies that help the unemployed and the under-employed. The vast majority approaching 90% of so called homeless people are chronic alcoholics and drug abusers who refuse help and instead rely on petty crime and stupid if well meaning politicians for handouts. Thanks to the mainstream media's lack of interest and the political establishment's efforts, the homeless are viewed as victims of society. The new norm is human shit on the streets and dirty needles as well as once beautiful parks that were intended for law abiding citizens now havens for the most despicable conduct. Welcome to the "great society".

The top 3 reasons for homelessness in America are 1. Lack of affordable housing (many of the homeless work at jobs) 2. Unemployment, and 3 Mental illness. Nearly 25% of the homeless in America are mentally ill and unemployable. Most have no one to care for them, and with public facilities stretched thin due to COVID the problem is getting worse. Tell this to the typical conservative and you'll get the customary eye roll, followed by a few comments about "being too lazy to work" With so much wealth concentrated in the hands of so few in America, perhaps it's time to stop lying to ourselves about how much the super-rich pay in taxes, start closing the multitude of tax loopholes the rich have taken advantage of, and compel these multi billionaires to contribute to the communities they've taken so much out of.

The top reason is drugs.

There are tons of social rescue agencies and government agencies that help the unemployed and the under-employed. The vast majority approaching 90% of so called homeless people are chronic alcoholics and drug abusers who refuse help and instead rely on petty crime and stupid if well meaning politicians for handouts. Thanks to the mainstream media's lack of interest and the political establishment's efforts, the homeless are viewed as victims of society. The new norm is human shit on the streets and dirty needles as well as once beautiful parks that were intended for law abiding citizens now havens for the most despicable conduct. Welcome to the "great society".
Being a homeless addict or alcoholic is not a lifestyle of choice. It goes with mental illness.

I don't know that it would "cost" all that much. But there's some truth to the notion that a good % of the mentally ill are non-compliant with meds because of side effects, and to be sure one of those is that meds change their reality.

We could spend a few dollars to help make sure people who want group homes with medical care have them, and those who are homeless at least have places to get food, showers and clean their clothes.

But the dems didn't pursue that small issue, and they failed to pass affordable housing too. I doubt the gop will be inclined to revisit it. A shame, really, since McConnell was actually not torpedoing bipartisan efforts.
Lol you can add to the cause of homelessness. I sold my house in July of last year. Right now in order to buy a new one in my area you had better have your offer submitted inside 3 hours. I work I can not get off work, see a house and offer inside three hours. To finally get a house in contract I went door to door making cash offers in areas I wanted to live. Finally found some one willing to sell that way last month. Had to get extremely lucky to even get that one. It was her vacation home and her husband had past away and she was no longer using it. You can have the money to stroke a check for a home and still be homeless today. I have lived in my camper since last July. I could have bought a lot and built my own house in that time. If I had known that was how bit would turn out I would have built my own.

An attempt to address at least one part of the situation in America!

Is it becoming obvious that the overall discontent of the people was what led to the attempted 'coup' on Jan.6th?

What better place to start than here? Especially if it can include wealth inequality.

Forum List

Back