The Homeless

The top 3 reasons for homelessness in America are 1. Lack of affordable housing (many of the homeless work at jobs) 2. Unemployment, and 3 Mental illness. Nearly 25% of the homeless in America are mentally ill and unemployable. Most have no one to care for them, and with public facilities stretched thin due to COVID the problem is getting worse. Tell this to the typical conservative and you'll get the customary eye roll, followed by a few comments about "being too lazy to work" With so much wealth concentrated in the hands of so few in America, perhaps it's time to stop lying to ourselves about how much the super-rich pay in taxes, start closing the multitude of tax loopholes the rich have taken advantage of, and compel these multi billionaires to contribute to the communities they've taken so much out of.

What a load of horseshit.
My Mother used to counsel the homeless here in Houston at the Star of Hope Mission and the vast majority of the homeless are drug addicts and drunks with some mentally ill mixed among them.
There's plenty of affordable housing in Houston and it becomes even more affordable with a roommate or two.
How do you explain the fact that 18 year olds making min wage can manage to get an apartment?

But there's no doubt that a good number of mentally ill people are not medically compliant. But do they need to be compliant to be "given" showers, food and clothing? From my past work experience, I don't think people should be tasked with caring for them in group homes. It wouldn't be too hard to find shelters they could sleep in on cold nights ... provided they were peaceful.

The problem the homeless have is shelters dont allow drinking or showing up there drunk or high.
They'd rather freeze their collective balls off than go to a shelter where they cant drink or do drugs.

There are plenty of functional drug users and drunks that manage to hold a steady job.
Most of those homeless would be crazy even if they abstained from drugs and alcohol.
yes. And .... why didn't the dems propose showers, meals, clean clothes and a bed on a freezing night if they could stay in one ... and why aren't those pesky "life matters" folks bugging the shit out of gopers.

btw, there are at least 5 gopers who'd vote for it without being bothered

yes. And .... why didn't the dems propose showers, meals, clean clothes and a bed on a freezing night if they could stay in one ... and why aren't those pesky "life matters" folks bugging the shit out of gopers.

btw, there are at least 5 gopers who'd vote for it without being bothered

They are offered a place to sleep during freezing weather they would rather be drunk or high.

Did we create it 50 years ago?

Half a century ago, America invented modern homelessness.

The stage was set with the shuttering of psychiatric hospitals in the wake of abuse scandals and the introduction of new psychotropic medications. Then cities started offering tax incentives to owners of flop houses, or single-room-occupancy hotels, to convert their properties into market-rate rentals, condos and co-ops. In New York City alone, more than 100,000 S.R.O. units that had housed substance abusers, elderly singles, former inmates and the mentally ill were lost.

During the 1980s, back-to-back recessions, combined with the Reagan administration’s severe federal cutbacks targeting low-income housing and poverty assistance programs, forced more and more Americans — including large numbers of families — into homelessness. At the same time, well-paid manufacturing jobs moved overseas, and steelworkers had to start pushing brooms at McDonald’s. An oil crisis drove up fuel prices, which bumped up rents, as did a new generation of gentrifiers discovering the architectural pleasures of historic neighborhoods.

On top of all that, Reagan-era tax reforms encouraged the construction of high-end, single-family homes but not of affordable multifamily rentals. There were 515,000 multifamily homes built in America in 1985, but just 140,000 built in 1991. As people began competing for fewer and fewer apartments, the affordable housing market turned into a game of musical chairs played by low-income Americans. Someone always lost.

Oh give me a home....
where dem po-lice no roam
and the queers and the Aryans play...
where never is heard
a discouraging word
and the weed is all given away
TBC

How can anyone believe the United States is the “greatest nation in the world” when this is how we treat homeless people? The United States is the greediest nation in the world and this greed will eventually consume the entire planet unless it is stopped. #HousingForAll

What a country!
1655413745457.png

The top 3 reasons for homelessness in America are 1. Lack of affordable housing (many of the homeless work at jobs) 2. Unemployment, and 3 Mental illness. Nearly 25% of the homeless in America are mentally ill and unemployable. Most have no one to care for them, and with public facilities stretched thin due to COVID the problem is getting worse. Tell this to the typical conservative and you'll get the customary eye roll, followed by a few comments about "being too lazy to work" With so much wealth concentrated in the hands of so few in America, perhaps it's time to stop lying to ourselves about how much the super-rich pay in taxes, start closing the multitude of tax loopholes the rich have taken advantage of, and compel these multi billionaires to contribute to the communities they've taken so much out of.

Transitioning to the 'Green New Deal', whenever this may end, takes precedence over any homeless.
Neo-Marxist Dimm's considers them and alot of the working and lower middle class as COLLATERAL DAMAGE!!

Heartless, isn't it??

Transitioning to the 'Green New Deal', whenever this may end, takes precedence over any homeless.
Neo-Marxist Dimm's considers them and alot of the working and lower middle class as COLLATERAL DAMAGE!!

Heartless, isn't it??
I don’t believe that but certainly the Ds have done nothing to help the homeless, just as the Rs have done nothing.

They can work together to give a foreign nation $54 billion in military aid, that will enrich the American war profiteer corporations who in turn kick back millions to the politicians.

It’s a racket the Mafia can only dream of, but few Americans know anything about.

Heartless, isn't it??
1655476212595.png

Lol you can add to the cause of homelessness. I sold my house in July of last year. Right now in order to buy a new one in my area you had better have your offer submitted inside 3 hours. I work I can not get off work, see a house and offer inside three hours. To finally get a house in contract I went door to door making cash offers in areas I wanted to live. Finally found some one willing to sell that way last month. Had to get extremely lucky to even get that one. It was her vacation home and her husband had past away and she was no longer using it. You can have the money to stroke a check for a home and still be homeless today. I have lived in my camper since last July. I could have bought a lot and built my own house in that time. If I had known that was how bit would turn out I would have built my own.

An attempt to address at least one part of the situation in America!

Is it becoming obvious that the overall discontent of the people was what led to the attempted 'coup' on Jan.6th?

What better place to start than here? Especially if it can include wealth inequality.

How can anyone believe the United States is the “greatest nation in the world” when this is how we treat homeless people? The United States is the greediest nation in the world and this greed will eventually consume the entire planet unless it is stopped. #HousingForAll

What a country!

It seems that bleeding heart globalist Democrats believe we can fix homelessness by adding tens of millions of ignorant, illiterate, desperate illegal alien thirdworlders to our population…Can ya’ll explain that theory to us please?

Homeless people are a threat to the rest of us.
You can't park your car anywhere near where homeless people are camped out....unless you don't mind having your car broken into.
Okay then why not spend a few billion to shelter them, rather then waste it on Ukraine?

I don’t believe that but certainly the Ds have done nothing to help the homeless, just as the Rs have done nothing.

They can work together to give a foreign nation $54 billion in military aid, that will enrich the American war profiteer corporations who in turn kick back millions to the politicians.

It’s a racket the Mafia can only dream of, but few Americans know anything about.
The Obama admin explicitly "targeted" veteran homeless, and that continued under Trump.

Forum List

Back