the case of Troy Davis shows exactly why the dealth pentalty should be banned

To be fair -- shell casings do not tie the murder weapon to the man. The gun could have been given or transferred. BUT -

I'm convinced that the facts were reviewed carefully and the courts INCLUDING the Sup. Ct wouldn't have passed if there was reason for appeal.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the 8 or 10 innocent people a year shot dead in no-knock drug searches triggered only by a drug-adled snitch trying to impress the D.A.

If it was an automatic handgun, then there would be similar slide marks on the casings, they match up almost like the slide marks you would see on a bullet after it is fired. Same concept. So it could tie him in quite well at the scene of both crimes. Could the hand gun of been given to him from the first scene? Yes, but there where eyewitnesses at both scenes so it's cut and dry. The only reason the casings where even brought up was because bleeding heart liberals where screaming "Physical evidence", of course in this case there was no struggle at all for there to be such evidence, so the casings where used.

The police aren't "more equal" than other people. Justice is being applied unequally in this as well.

As representatives of societal order, its pretty common for actions against law enforcement to be punished by a more severe penalty. Its the same justification as hate crime legislation, namely the crime carries with the added motive of attempting to intimidate a large group of people.

I'm fairly anti Death Penalty, but this was the wrong case to try and fight it. While the protests against this case were going on, a white guy in Texas was executed for a racially motivated murder. He admits to being a participant, but claims he himself did not commit the murder. And yet you didn't see the people up in arms over that case to the extent they were over this case. I hate to say it, but I do think there is a racial motivation in this case, but it isn't by the prosecution.
:confused: From what I read of that case, he bragged about what he did and said he would do it all over again.

To me, it doesn't matter. I am against the state killing people for revenge.

Revenge? WTF? So our laws are only used in revenge? Of course he knew the law before he committed the crime, so is it really revenge or justice served?

Ga inmate's execution nears; protests worldwide - Yahoo! News

complete bullshit, an innocent man will die tonight because of a corrupt govenrment

The problem with the death penalty is that we don't use it near enough. However, when cases arise where there is questionable evidence then I think all avenues should be explored before proceeding with the execution. This case may have merited that, but it's worth noting that even the U.S. Supreme Court wouldn't stop it.
The supreme courts hands were tied by this:

Its major provisions reduced new trials for convicted criminals and sped up their sentences by restricting a federal court's ability to judge whether a state court had correctly interpreted the U.S. Constitution.

Will Georgia Kill an Innocent Man? - TIME

Coerced testimony should also be looked upon with the utmost suspicion.

And yes, allowing the government to execute people is the ultimate expression of big government.

Was his family member coerced? He went to the police voluntarily and told them in a written statement that Davis had personally told him he had shot those two men that night.

Everyone forgets that he wasn't convicted of one murder that night, but two.

Some of those witnesses had lawyers. It is utter bullshit, and it has been refuted countless times, most notably by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia, but they are all biased and just out to get Davis.
That's another thing wrong with this case. He was convicted of two murders but sentenced to die for one, the cop.

The police aren't "more equal" than other people. Justice is being applied unequally in this as well.

As a matter of fact, Ravi...many laws exist that specifically make the killing of a police officer a capital offense. I think that's been done in large part as an effort to protect the protectors. Criminals know that shooting a cop is going to get you the ultimate punishment. It makes them much less likely to target law enforcement.

Was his family member coerced? He went to the police voluntarily and told them in a written statement that Davis had personally told him he had shot those two men that night.

Some of those witnesses had lawyers. It is utter bullshit, and it has been refuted countless times, most notably by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia, but they are all biased and just out to get Davis.
That's another thing wrong with this case. He was convicted of two murders but sentenced to die for one, the cop.

As a matter of fact, Ravi...many laws exist that specifically make the killing of a police officer a capital offense. I think that's been done in large part as an effort to protect the protectors. Criminals know that shooting a cop is going to get you the ultimate punishment. It makes them much less likely to target law enforcement.

Raving Duplicity is offended by your speaking of the truth.

I understand the reasoning behind it, I just don't agree with it.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the definition of recanted. There is enough doubt that it will be criminal to execute him. Well, IMO, it is criminal to allow the state to execute anyone.

But then, I'm not a big government supporter.

Recantations are generally not worth all that much.*

IF your theory of criminal justice were ever to hold sway, there would be no such thing as a death penalty, since to get it negated, all anybody would ever have to do is get any witness to publicly SAY that he or she was "recanting" what they'd previously testified to under oath.

BTW: the concept of "big government" does not entail the power that a government might have, under law, to sanction criminals convicted of crimes.

Raving Hypocrite, you ARE a big government supporter. You just quibble about the scope of governmental power in SOME respects when it suits your political ideology.

_________
* For example:
* * * * Post-trial recantations of testimony are "looked upon with the utmost suspicion." Johnson, 487 F.2d at 1279 (citations omitted); see also United States v. DiPaolo, 835 F.2d 46, 49 (2d Cir. 1987) (same); United States v. Castano, 756 F.Supp. 820, 824 (S.D. N.Y. 1991) * * * *
Excerpted from U.S. v. Green, 4 F.3d 987 (4th Cir., 1993).

And yes, allowing the government to execute people is the ultimate expression of big government.
The government carries out the wishes of the PEOPLE.

The PEOPLE are the ones who call for the penalty.

I have reasonable doubt that anyone posting here has any first hand knowledge of the trials and proceedings that preceded Troy's execution. From what I have heard, read and seen on TV, the man was guilty as charged. He was convicted by a jury of his peers and sentenced to die. He is now dead.

His execution was not a revenge killing. It was not legalized murder. It was the punishment prescribed by law for the crime committed.

None of the protestors against his execution...the Pope, ACLU, the celebrities, the black activists...NONE of them had an argument based upon anything other than their own beliefs concerning the death penalty.

They have no evidence that shows another shooter. They cannot disprove the evidence that Troy Davis did the shooting.

The man was convicted of murder. He paid the ultimate penalty.

If you don't support the death penalty, support laws to abolish it. Don't come up claiming that an innocent man is about to be executed.:Boom2:

Personally, I think many criminals deserve nothing less than death. McVeigh, Saddam Hussein, Charles Manson, child molesters, Bernie Madoff, Barnie Frank, OJ Simpsonany and ALL RADICAL TERRORISTS AND THEIR CHILDREN!!

Kill them ALL!!!.....Tomorrow!!!!!:Boom2:

I understand the reasoning behind it, I just don't agree with it.

Let me give you a specific reason why I think it's a valid law. Let's say a criminal with a long history of violent crime is being stopped by the police on suspicion of committing a crime that will lock him up for most of the rest of his life if not all of it. In a situation like that such a person would be extremely dangerous simply because they had nothing to lose by trying to kill the officer making the arrest. By passing legislation that makes it a capital offense to shoot a policeman you are letting criminals know that their actions if caught will result in the death penalty. That's a deterrent.

Let me get this right, the left is standing up for cop killer is the reason the death penalty should be abandoned? The guy wasn't a saint, his nickname was RAH aka "rough as hell!"

http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/DavisMcPhail/1991/08241991DAVISSMILED.pdf
http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/DavisMcPhail/1991/08261991RESUMESTRIAL.pdf
http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/DavisMcPhail/1989/198908AUG21SUSPECT(EP).pdf
http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/DavisMcPhail/1991/05141991HIGHCOURTAFFIRMSBAN.pdf
http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/DavisMcPhail/1991/08241991DAVISSMILED.pdf
http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/DavisMcPhail/1992/03211992CONVICTIONUPHELD.pdf

Evidence:
(1) Ballistic evidence linked the bullet in MacPhail to the one Davis used to shoot another person that same night.
(2) Witness testimony stated that Davis was at least at the Burger King arguing with the homeless man, Larry Young.
(3) Larry Young testified that Davis pistol whipped him. MacPhail was intervening in Davis's assault on Young, when Davis shot MacPhail!
(4) Davis friend Coles admitted to police that Davis has a .38 caliber gun, the one that shot MacPhail and that Davis pistol whipped Young.
(5) Shorts from Davis home with forensic evidence connecting him to the crime were tossed out by the judge because they were unlawfully obtained.
(6) Harriet Murray, Redd Coles, Dorothy Ferrell and Antoine Williams testified that Davis, wearing a white shirt, had struck Young and then shot MacPhail.
(7) TWO CONFESSIONS: A neighbor of the Davis family, Jeffrey Sapp, testified that soon after the murder Davis had confessed to him. Kevin McQueen, a former fellow prisoner, testified that Davis had confessed to shooting MacPhail as he feared that the officer would connect him to the shooting of Cooper earlier in the evening.
(8) Had a court appearance with 7 black and 5 white jurors. And had his appeals

So let's examine this:
(1) Rough As Hell was at the seen and this wasn't out of character for him.
(2) BALLISTIC evidence matched the bullet that Davis used to shoot another VICTIM that same night was matched to the bullet in MacPhail.
(3) Multiple witness testified to Davis shooting MacPhail, including the victim that Davis pistol whipped moments earlier.
(4) Davis confessed to a neighbor and in prison.
(5) Davis had a fair trial!
(6) Forensic evidence (which the court disallowed - inproperly obtained) was taken from Davis's home - Davis's clothes.

So again the left wants to jump on a crusade to save a man guilty of killing a COP, a father of TWO infants, saying he is innocent, when ALL the evidence over-welming points to his guilt!

Last edited:
Ga inmate's execution nears; protests worldwide - Yahoo! News

complete bullshit, an innocent man will die tonight because of a corrupt govenrment

You know there are innocent men and women whose lives are ruined because they have been sentenced to life in prison for crimes they didn't commit, let's get rid of life sentence. Heck even 20 years is too much. Heck same with 10 years. Max sentence for any crime is 5 years!!!

LOL, what is your evidence he is innocent. A few witnesses now recant? You don't believe in ballistics or forensic evidence? He is black and killed a white cop? The Victim was a cop?

Gee Ravi -- Sometime we should see if you apply this same stance to "hate crime" punishments and sentences.. Sure HOPE you'd be consistent on the topic..

I'm sure you are tho... :wink:

Gee Ravi -- Sometime we should see if you apply this same stance to "hate crime" punishments and sentences.. Sure HOPE you'd be consistent on the topic..

I'm sure you are tho... :wink:
I've always been undecided on hate crimes, but I certainly wouldn't use them as an excuse to administer the death penalty.

Interestingly, in 'civilized' Europe... ordinary people are pleading with their governments to re-instate it. Go figure.

Guess there are rightwing whack jobs wherever you go
You do realize that California, a liberal dominated state, is very pro death penalty, correct?

LMAO!

You're just one loony lefty hyperbole fail after another.

Come on now, the man was guilty.
Hmmmmmmm.....wouldn't you have to have BEEN there.....to KNOW that????

:eusa_eh:

"Our brains connect the dots of our world into meaningful patterns that explain why things happen, and these patterns become beliefs. Once beliefs are formed the brain begins to look for and find confirmatory evidence in support of those beliefs, which accelerates the process of reinforcing them, and round and round the process goes in a positive-feedback loop of belief confirmation."

Nope, but the 8 who testified against him where there.....
Yeah.....I've heard about eye-witnesses.....especially the ones who'd recanted what they'd sworn....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-SBTRLoPuo]Eyewitness Testimony Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]​

Two perfectly just executions on the same day, yet the left is on quiet time regarding the other that took place in Texas..... :thup:

Forum List

Back