So, the Declaration of “Independence” was for whites only...

Well, historically, yes...it was for whites. White males. There was no Independence freedom for black slaves. Blacks have fought for and helped build this country. What a stupid thread Given how violently black rebellions were squashed and how often treaties with native Americans were broken, and they were slaughtered and subjugated under superior military force...Manifest Destiny.

It is all part of our national heritage: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Can’t change history.
..the Native Americans did the same shit --same thing AND they TORTURED as culture policy
So did European whites. Do you have a point?
And yet you only blame WHITES.
They had the power.
So, you grant moral authority to the underdog?
Not sure what you mean by that.
Yes you do, for THOUSANDS of years Indiand and blacks practiced the same behavior you blame whites as evil for. YET because eventually they lost to whites you claim only whites had power and only whites did those deeds. I assume you went to school so I know at some point you learned a little of this but now claim to be completely ignorant of those facts.

Actually the Declaration was wrote for wealthy white men, and no one else. They treated women like crap, along with the poor, blacks and Native Americans. Same with the Constitution.
The USA has led the world in granting freedom and liberty. Thousands of white men died to free black people. White men supported granting the women's vote. You're biased.
Some...but clearly not enough
What do you mean "not enough?"

Do you have the right to vote or not? That would, by definition, be ENOUGH.
Should have had it at the beginning.
LOL NAME ONE NATION in 1776 and 1787 that allowed women to vote universally.
These IDIOTS are too ignorant to realize that back in 1776 it was a radical idea to NOT have a monarchy and to choose to have a democratic republic. It was the first step in building a totally free nation. Of course the founding fathers knew that slavery would have to be dealt with eventually.
Yup. I agree.

But the abolitionists gave in...and Abigail Adams plea to her husband to “remember the ladies” was ignored.

I long to hear that you have declared an independency -- and by the way in the new Code of Laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make I desire you would Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If perticuliar care and attention is not paid to the Laidies we are determined to foment a Rebelion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.

Well, historically, yes...it was for whites. White males. There was no Independence freedom for black slaves. Blacks have fought for and helped build this country. What a stupid thread Given how violently black rebellions were squashed and how often treaties with native Americans were broken, and they were slaughtered and subjugated under superior military force...Manifest Destiny.

It is all part of our national heritage: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Can’t change history.
..the Native Americans did the same shit --same thing AND they TORTURED as culture policy
They had the power.
Yes you do, for THOUSANDS of years Indiand and blacks practiced the same behavior you blame whites as evil for. YET because eventually they lost to whites you claim only whites had power and only whites did those deeds. I assume you went to school so I know at some point you learned a little of this but now claim to be completely ignorant of those facts.
We are not talking about thousands of years...we are talking about a specific period of history.

Just when you thought that denial couldn't turn a phrase,"all men are created equal", into a diatribe of hate thehauk shows us how.
You guys got to stop being azzes. These men put their name on documents. which made them traitors to the British Crown. To be hung. When Martin Luther King was protesting it was far different then you see today. He did it with the same fervor as they did. Two different historical times. The prize has been won. The victors just don't realize it as the government largesse has infected them. It has infected most people to some degree. But has damaged the African American people.

They had the power.
Likewise.

Who cares if the white people had the power? It had NOTHING to do with the CENTURIES of brutal depravity among the Natives LONG before white people showed up. You ignore that, and only focus on whitey.

The Natives were conquered, not necessarily by military power, but by them having ancient technology and understanding verse the European settlers. Natives were outdated. They could not compete. It is the way of the world. Nature took its course.

The movement today to criticize whitey for no other reason but to be critical (no recommendations or solutions proposed and none sought) REEKS of Frankfurt School Critical Theory.

Yea, we never hear a peep about the slave trade in Latin and South America, or “systemic racism” there.
Have you started a topic on it?

They had the power.
We are not talking about thousands of years...we are talking about a specific period of history.
Throughout HISTORY people have been cruel to each other. America has been a HUGE force in stopping it.

Yet, many use the HISTORICAL plight of brown/red/black people to indict America TODAY. WHY?????

They had the power.
YOU ARE IGNORING thousands of years claiming ONLY whites had power. Blacks and Indians self ruled for thousands of years before white men showed up and they raped pillaged and burned, took slaves committed genocide and took other peoples lands all that time. You CHOSE to ignore reality which is white men only did so to blacks and Indians for what 400 years? 300? Blacks and Indians did it to themselves for at least a thousand years and when they could they did it to whites as well. Grow the hell up and admit you are simply FULL OF SHIT on this issue.

Actually the Declaration was wrote for wealthy white men, and no one else. They treated women like crap, along with the poor, blacks and Native Americans. Same with the Constitution.
The USA has led the world in granting freedom and liberty. Thousands of white men died to free black people. White men supported granting the women's vote. You're biased.

These IDIOTS are too ignorant to realize that back in 1776 it was a radical idea to NOT have a monarchy and to choose to have a democratic republic. It was the first step in building a totally free nation. Of course the founding fathers knew that slavery would have to be dealt with eventually.
Yup. I agree.

But the abolitionists gave in...and Abigail Adams plea to her husband to “remember the ladies” was ignored.

I long to hear that you have declared an independency -- and by the way in the new Code of Laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make I desire you would Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If perticuliar care and attention is not paid to the Laidies we are determined to foment a Rebelion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.
Most women did not want the right to vote. When women starting protesting for voting rights, the majority of women opposed it.

It’s funny how today women have “equal rights”, yet are exempt from registering in the Selective Service or being drafted. Women actually have more rights than men now.

Yup. I agree.

Most women did not want the right to vote. When women starting protesting for voting rights, the majority of women opposed it.

It’s funny how today women have “equal rights”, yet are exempt from registering in the Selective Service or being drafted. Women actually have more rights than men now.
Women can be drafted NO ONE registers for the draft anymore m, I think it may be automatic but I don't know the specific law.

Yup. I agree.

Women can be drafted NO ONE registers for the draft anymore m, I think it may be automatic but I don't know the specific law.
Nope, under current law only males need to register. And that is where the draft comes from.

Of course trannies are trying to weasel their way out of it by claiming they are female.

Your trying to change history...

To be accurate it was for white male landowners ...

They had the power.
Throughout HISTORY people have been cruel to each other. America has been a HUGE force in stopping it.

Yet, many use the HISTORICAL plight of brown/red/black people to indict America TODAY. WHY?????
Ok....first, let me say this. I agree that you can not judge the actions of yesterday by the morals of today. Ethics were different, people were different. But even in the beginning of our country, slavery was a contentious issue, and those who viewed it as a moral sin, lost out to those that sought to pacify the southern lords and keep them in the federation. So, already, in that time, there was an ethical challenge.

The other thing...and this is something I find myself grappling with (without a clear path)...is the idea of addressing wrongs, or reparations (and by this I do not mean anything specific, but in general). I had some interesting discussions with a Jewish member here, talking about her religion and the concept of collective responsibility. That, as a Jew, they feel a Collective responsibility to try and right the wrongs their people might have done in the past. It is a pretty powerful concept. If you extend that to a national responsibility...to try to right the wrongs of our ancestors, it doesn’t mean you are guilty of anything, have done anything wrong, it only means trying to acknowledge And rectify old wrongs In some way.

In that sense it doesn’t matter how bad others were, it is THEIR responsibility to address that, not ours. It also means acknowledging and loving America, warts and all. Loving America can also mean wanting her to be better.

Not sure if I am expressing this well at all or if it comes across as total nonsense, but so be it. :)

Your trying to change history...

To be accurate it was for white male landowners ...
Coyote is not changing history; this is the version of history she studies.

Yup. I agree.

How do you know that? Based on what?

They had the power.

Ok....first, let me say this. I agree that you can not judge the actions of yesterday by the morals of today. Ethics were different, people were different. But even in the beginning of our country, slavery was a contentious issue, and those who viewed it as a moral sin, lost out to those that sought to pacify the southern lords and keep them in the federation. So, already, in that time, there was an ethical challenge.

The other thing...and this is something I find myself grappling with (without a clear path)...is the idea of addressing wrongs, or reparations (and by this I do not mean anything specific, but in general). I had some interesting discussions with a Jewish member here, talking about her religion and the concept of collective responsibility. That, as a Jew, they feel a Collective responsibility to try and right the wrongs their people might have done in the past. It is a pretty powerful concept. If you extend that to a national responsibility...to try to right the wrongs of our ancestors, it doesn’t mean you are guilty of anything, have done anything wrong, it only means trying to acknowledge And rectify old wrongs In some way.

In that sense it doesn’t matter how bad others were, it is THEIR responsibility to address that, not ours. It also means acknowledging and loving America, warts and all. Loving America can also mean wanting her to be better.

Not sure if I am expressing this well at all or if it comes across as total nonsense, but so be it. :)
That, as a Jew, they feel a Collective responsibility to try and right the wrongs their people might have done in the past
Must be a Reformed Jew

Retired GYSGT- And yet the men were educated??

The founders were wealthy white men.
Yes they were because at that time in History VERY few women ANYWHERE had any power.

Very few men as well if they weren't wealthy and raised in a wealthy family. The all men are equal should of same SOME men are equal. So stand by your man still existed for what 175 years!!

Forum List

Back