For those who insist abortion should be a right

Oh I agree. I'm saying is that if they truly want it to be a protected right, they need to do it the right way and use the amendment process.

Well, I sure hope that fails. It's contrary. Just leave it to the States, call it a day.

Abortificents were advertised in the print material of the day.

Nobody cared.
Ok is that something you read somewhere or can you point to one or more sources indicating that abortion was legal and the Law had no problem with it.

Only sheep give gubbermint any credence ...

I recently restored a vehicle owned since 1989. That cassette was essentially a permanent fixture inside the deck. Kept the cassette out of respect, and chucked the deck favoring the OEM AM radio.

Are y'all women discussing this? ... doesn't sound like it ... not a single one of you have ever been pregnant ... every last one of you lack a womb ... funny ...

I'm against abortion for the same reasons Pope Francis is against abortion ... now apply the Establishment Clause ... see? ... first thing Alabama did was legalize murder for moneyed fertility clinics ... fucking hypocrites ... Jesus weeps upon the Cross again for your sins ...

Oh I agree. I'm saying is that if they truly want it to be a protected right, they need to do it the right way and use the amendment process.
That's not the way rights work. Your attitude would mean that the only rights we have are those listed in the Bill of Rights - a mistake the Founders worried we would make. And here we are.

That's not the way rights work. Your attitude would mean that the only rights we have are those listed in the Bill of Rights - a mistake the Founders worried we would make. And here we are.

Protected rights work that way, or enumerated rights.

Protected rights work that way, or enumerated rights.
They weren't intended to work that way. That's why many founders opposed enumerating rights in the Constitution in the first place. That's why the Ninth Amendment was included. It was a message to the future, a tip to people like you, saying "Don't get confused, these aren't our only rights".

They weren't intended to work that way. That's why many founders opposed enumerating rights in the Constitution in the first place. That's why the Ninth Amendment was included. It was a message to the future, a tip to people like you, saying "Don't get confused, these aren't our only rights".

I agree, however the enumerated ones were deemed so important they were listed.

And if the abortion rights people want it to be an enumerated right, they should get working on that amendment.

And if the abortion rights people want it to be an enumerated right, they should get working on that amendment.
The whole point of the Ninth is that we don't need amendments to protect our rights.

The whole point of the Ninth is that we don't need amendments to protect our rights.
You still need to describe them at some level, even with the 9th.

I say I have the right to piss on the sidewalk. How does the government say I don't have that right?

There has to be a mechanism

You still need to describe them at some level, even with the 9th.

I say I have the right to piss on the sidewalk. How does the government say I don't have that right?

There has to be a mechanism
The Court.

No need for the pro-abortion side ... those new abortion clinics just over the Texas Stateline are governed under New and Old Mexico Law ... plenty of funding for at-will procedures ...

The argument against Roe v. Wade was that medical practices are universally a State's Right ... that includes abortion ... and fertility clinics ... way to go Alabama, way to go ... thank you for exposing the hypocrisy of the whole debate ...

The Court.

The court created Roe in the first place. And the court can by that logic gut the 2nd and the first.

Enumerated rights make it clear to everyone what the government simply cannot touch.

The court created Roe in the first place. And the court can by that logic gut the 2nd and the first.
It's true. But that's what the Court is for, to interpret the Constitution and maintain our rights.
Enumerated rights make it clear to everyone what the government simply cannot touch.
That was the opinion of the Federalists. But in doing so they inverted the intent of Madison, arguably inverted the intent of the entire Constitution, and diminished our rights to a short list.

It was a mistake.

It's true. But that's what the Court is for, to interpret the Constitution and maintain our rights.

That was the opinion of the Federalists. But in doing so they inverted the intent of Madison, arguably inverted the intent of the entire Constitution, and diminished our rights to a short list.

It was a mistake.

And it flows back and forth due to the partisan nature of our current situation.

They didn't diminish them, they just selected a few they thought were important, and as you said, left an opening for more.

I take the Federalists side in this.

Forum List

Back