So, the Declaration of “Independence” was for whites only...

Just seen a picture of a BLM protestor being busted ..this lady's and gentlemen are the people we are arguing with on the Constitution and history ...

AP20189699321567.jpg

In later eras of US diplomacy much propaganda has been produced showing how the US is the place for justice and equality. Yet some people in this nation do not want justice and equality.

And that is why the democrat party...the party that does not want justice and equality, must be voted out of office.

mkh
I am certain that some but not all whites did impute such racism into the Declaration of Independence.

Some whites were indentured servants or slaves themselves, and some blacks had better or worse situations of employment than others. Not all blacks were slaves: some had good jobs and some were in business for themselves and hired other blacks. Some blacks might even have been thought to "own" other blacks as slaves.

At the beginning, blacks had some what more opportunities because the race was not yet firmly connected to slavery. That was a deliberate strategy of the southern landowners who innacted laws to that effect.
when you say southern landowners you mean democrats right???

This was long before the Dem party was founded. Learn some history.

The people who owned the slaves became the democrat party, you doofus....

mkh
I am certain that some but not all whites did impute such racism into the Declaration of Independence.

Some whites were indentured servants or slaves themselves, and some blacks had better or worse situations of employment than others. Not all blacks were slaves: some had good jobs and some were in business for themselves and hired other blacks. Some blacks might even have been thought to "own" other blacks as slaves.

At the beginning, blacks had some what more opportunities because the race was not yet firmly connected to slavery. That was a deliberate strategy of the southern landowners who innacted laws to that effect.

And then they transitioned to the Republicans, none which has any relevance to the topic.

mkh

And then they transitioned to the Republicans, none which has any relevance to the topic.

They did not transition into Republicans, they remained the racists they always were, they simply changed tactics when lyndon johnson realized that no matter how many Blacks the democrats murdered, they were still going to be able to vote....so they decided to buy their votes with welfare......and use that to keep Black families from becoming successful..........

Well, historically, yes...it was for whites. White males. There was no Independence freedom for black slaves. Blacks have fought for and helped build this country. What a stupid thread Given how violently black rebellions were squashed and how often treaties with native Americans were broken, and they were slaughtered and subjugated under superior military force...Manifest Destiny.

It is all part of our national heritage: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Can’t change history.
..the Native Americans did the same shit --same thing AND they TORTURED as culture policy
So did European whites. Do you have a point?
And yet you only blame WHITES.
They had the power.
So, you grant moral authority to the underdog?
Not sure what you mean by that.
Yes you do, for THOUSANDS of years Indiand and blacks practiced the same behavior you blame whites as evil for. YET because eventually they lost to whites you claim only whites had power and only whites did those deeds. I assume you went to school so I know at some point you learned a little of this but now claim to be completely ignorant of those facts.
We are not talking about thousands of years...we are talking about a specific period of history.
Throughout HISTORY people have been cruel to each other. America has been a HUGE force in stopping it.

Yet, many use the HISTORICAL plight of brown/red/black people to indict America TODAY. WHY?????
Ok....first, let me say this. I agree that you can not judge the actions of yesterday by the morals of today. Ethics were different, people were different. But even in the beginning of our country, slavery was a contentious issue, and those who viewed it as a moral sin, lost out to those that sought to pacify the southern lords and keep them in the federation. So, already, in that time, there was an ethical challenge.

The other thing...and this is something I find myself grappling with (without a clear path)...is the idea of addressing wrongs, or reparations (and by this I do not mean anything specific, but in general). I had some interesting discussions with a Jewish member here, talking about her religion and the concept of collective responsibility. That, as a Jew, they feel a Collective responsibility to try and right the wrongs their people might have done in the past. It is a pretty powerful concept. If you extend that to a national responsibility...to try to right the wrongs of our ancestors, it doesn’t mean you are guilty of anything, have done anything wrong, it only means trying to acknowledge And rectify old wrongs In some way.

In that sense it doesn’t matter how bad others were, it is THEIR responsibility to address that, not ours. It also means acknowledging and loving America, warts and all. Loving America can also mean wanting her to be better.

Not sure if I am expressing this well at all or if it comes across as total nonsense, but so be it. :)
In the early days of America, the colonist had no choice but to accept and unite with the slave lords in the south, or be destroyed by the British Empire.

Freedom around the world would have no chance of surviving if the early Americans did not unite. DOING SO CHANGED THE WORLD FOREVER!!!

They were faced with a really bad choice--- freedom for some, with the hope of freedom for all later, or freedom for no one, and the whole world stays in darkness.

I have seen Thomas Jefferson's writings on it. He grappled with that repeatedly. He grappled with the entire concept of slavery and how to rid us of it. There can be no question that he saw the African people as created equal. His deleted paragraph from the declaration of independence proves it.

Regarding collective responsibility, the problem with that concept is it puts the responsibility on those who had no part and no say. It removes the concept of free will and consequences of one's actions. It takes the responsibility off of those who are responsible and places it on those whose only responsibility is shared DNA.

Such a concept, when created as a matter of law, is directly contrary to individual liberty. It is, by definition, unjust.

So, while I am not opposed to some finding some way of righting the wrongs of past generations, I see no clear way of doing so while remaining fair.

The best way for America to right the wrongs of the past is to repent.

Repent means to turn away. To change. To correct one's ways. To amend one's life.

Has America not repented?

When will America be forgiven?

When will WE THE CURRENT PEOPLE be forgiven for the sins of our ancestors?

Well, historically, yes...it was for whites. White males. There was no Independence freedom for black slaves. Blacks have fought for and helped build this country. What a stupid thread Given how violently black rebellions were squashed and how often treaties with native Americans were broken, and they were slaughtered and subjugated under superior military force...Manifest Destiny.

It is all part of our national heritage: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Can’t change history.
..the Native Americans did the same shit --same thing AND they TORTURED as culture policy
They had the power.
Yes you do, for THOUSANDS of years Indiand and blacks practiced the same behavior you blame whites as evil for. YET because eventually they lost to whites you claim only whites had power and only whites did those deeds. I assume you went to school so I know at some point you learned a little of this but now claim to be completely ignorant of those facts.
We are not talking about thousands of years...we are talking about a specific period of history.
Throughout HISTORY people have been cruel to each other. America has been a HUGE force in stopping it.

Yet, many use the HISTORICAL plight of brown/red/black people to indict America TODAY. WHY?????
Ok....first, let me say this. I agree that you can not judge the actions of yesterday by the morals of today. Ethics were different, people were different. But even in the beginning of our country, slavery was a contentious issue, and those who viewed it as a moral sin, lost out to those that sought to pacify the southern lords and keep them in the federation. So, already, in that time, there was an ethical challenge.

The other thing...and this is something I find myself grappling with (without a clear path)...is the idea of addressing wrongs, or reparations (and by this I do not mean anything specific, but in general). I had some interesting discussions with a Jewish member here, talking about her religion and the concept of collective responsibility. That, as a Jew, they feel a Collective responsibility to try and right the wrongs their people might have done in the past. It is a pretty powerful concept. If you extend that to a national responsibility...to try to right the wrongs of our ancestors, it doesn’t mean you are guilty of anything, have done anything wrong, it only means trying to acknowledge And rectify old wrongs In some way.

In that sense it doesn’t matter how bad others were, it is THEIR responsibility to address that, not ours. It also means acknowledging and loving America, warts and all. Loving America can also mean wanting her to be better.

Not sure if I am expressing this well at all or if it comes across as total nonsense, but so be it. :)
In the early days of America, the colonist had no choice but to accept and unite with the slave lords in the south, or be destroyed by the British Empire.

Freedom around the world would have no chance of surviving if the early Americans did not unite. DOING SO CHANGED THE WORLD FOREVER!!!

They were faced with a really bad choice--- freedom for some, with the hope of freedom for all later, or freedom for no one, and the whole world stays in darkness.

I have seen Thomas Jefferson's writings on it. He grappled with that repeatedly. He grappled with the entire concept of slavery and how to rid us of it. There can be no question that he saw the African people as created equal. His deleted paragraph from the declaration of independence proves it.

Regarding collective responsibility, the problem with that concept is it puts the responsibility on those who had no part and no say. It removes the concept of free will and consequences of one's actions. It takes the responsibility off of those who are responsible and places it on those whose only responsibility is shared DNA.

Such a concept, when created as a matter of law, is directly contrary to individual liberty. It is, by definition, unjust.

So, while I am not opposed to some finding some way of righting the wrongs of past generations, I see no clear way of doing so while remaining fair.

Repent means to turn away. To change. To correct one's ways. To amend one's life.

The slave owners would not give up their slaves......so a deal was made to weaken their power and to end the slave trade...the best that could be done in a world where slavery was an accepted practice...

And what left wingers don't understand...at the time, it was an amazing act to actually limit the slave trade by even that much.....and they wanted to end it....but didn't have the power...considering the entire world practiced slavery at the time......

It was an amazing act to limit slavery at a time when slavery was the practice around the world.....and left wingers can't see it.....will never see it...and in fact, through their beliefs...they want to recreate slavery....

And again....those who owned the slaves became the democrat party...

Actually the Declaration was wrote for wealthy white men, and no one else. They treated women like crap, along with the poor, blacks and Native Americans. Same with the Constitution.
The USA has led the world in granting freedom and liberty. Thousands of white men died to free black people. White men supported granting the women's vote. You're biased.
Some...but clearly not enough
What do you mean "not enough?"

Do you have the right to vote or not? That would, by definition, be ENOUGH.
Should have had it at the beginning.
LOL NAME ONE NATION in 1776 and 1787 that allowed women to vote universally.
These IDIOTS are too ignorant to realize that back in 1776 it was a radical idea to NOT have a monarchy and to choose to have a democratic republic. It was the first step in building a totally free nation. Of course the founding fathers knew that slavery would have to be dealt with eventually.
Yup. I agree.

But the abolitionists gave in...and Abigail Adams plea to her husband to “remember the ladies” was ignored.

I long to hear that you have declared an independency -- and by the way in the new Code of Laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make I desire you would Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If perticuliar care and attention is not paid to the Laidies we are determined to foment a Rebelion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.
Most women did not want the right to vote. When women starting protesting for voting rights, the majority of women opposed it.

It’s funny how today women have “equal rights”, yet are exempt from registering in the Selective Service or being drafted. Women actually have more rights than men now.
How do you know that? Based on what?
Because I know history? You should try reading history books, not your Marxist approved only ones though.

They had the power.

The best way for America to right the wrongs of the past is to repent

I politely disagree....the wrongs of the past can never be made right....the goal is to not do those things again...and to move forward as better people..but the democrat party doesn't understand this and through it's beliefs and actions they are creating the very thing they say they want to stop....

I have seen Thomas Jefferson's writings on him. He grappled with that repeatedly. He grappled with the entire concept of slavery and how to rid us of it. There can be no question that he saw the African people as created equal. His deleted paragraph from the declaration of independence proves it.

Regarding collective responsibility, the problem with that concept is it puts the responsibility on those who had no part and no say. it removes the concept of free will and consequences of one's actions. It takes the responsibility off of those who are responsible and places it on those whose only responsibility is shared DNA.

So while I am not opposed to some finding some way of righting the wrongs of past generations, I see no clear way of doing so while remaining fair.

Good post, and thanks.

I don’t think repent is right either as it only addresses actions going forward and does nothing to address the wrongs. Maybe both are needed.

Forgiveness would have to be asked of and given by the descendents of those wronged. A hard thing to do because I don’t think we, as a culture, assume a shared responsibility. We are too individualistic. Didn’t we do this with the survivors of Japanese interment?

They had the power.

The best way for America to right the wrongs of the past is to repent

I politely disagree....the wrongs of the past can never be made right....the goal is to not do those things again...and to move forward as better people..but the democrat party doesn't understand this and through it's beliefs and actions they are creating the very thing they say they want to stop....
Respectfully, this:
"the goal is to not do those things again...and to move forward as better people.."
Is the literal definition of repentance.

Otherwise, :beer:

Again Coyote you SPECIFICALLY SAID white men had the power But that is only true in regards black and Indians from early 1500's on from 1000 BC to 1500 AD Blacks and Indians had self rule and THEY practiced all the things you find are evil by whites against themselves and others. And you claim to know nothing of that and pretend it does not matter while YOU chose to ONLY blame white men. You are disingenuous and either IGNORANT of history or a liar and a two faced buffoon.

So ACCORDING to YOU we should punish white men we should denigrate and hate WHITE Men for a practice that started in 1500 and lasted until 1866 against blacks but we should IGNORE 1500 years of the same practice by Blacks against fellow blacks.A practice that STILL TODAY is practiced by blacks against blacks. We should denigrate white men for the conquering and killing of Indians that started in the US in the 1600's and lasted till about 1900 but we should IGNORE the EXACT same behavior by Indians to each other for over 1000 years before we arrived and continued even while we were fighting them. And you see no problem with that?

Again Coyote you SPECIFICALLY SAID white men had the power But that is only true in regards black and Indians from early 1500's on from 1000 BC to 1500 AD Blacks and Indians had self rule and THEY practiced all the things you find are evil by whites against themselves and others. And you claim to know nothing of that and pretend it does not matter while YOU chose to ONLY blame white men. You are disingenuous and either IGNORANT of history or a liar and a two faced buffoon.

So ACCORDING to YOU we should punish white men we should denigrate and hate WHITE Men for a practice that started in 1500 and lasted until 1866 against blacks but we should IGNORE 1500 years of the same practice by Blacks against fellow blacks.A practice that STILL TODAY is practiced by blacks against blacks. We should denigrate white men for the conquering and killing of Indians that started in the US in the 1600's and lasted till about 1900 but we should IGNORE the EXACT same behavior by Indians to each other for over 1000 years before we arrived and continued even while we were fighting them. And you see no problem with that?

I was replying to a thread that concerns a particular time period, not All of human history. My responses were relevant to that. I’m not interested in punishing or denigrating anyone.

I was replying to a thread that concerns a particular time period, not All of human history. My responses were relevant to that. I’m not interested in punishing or denigrating anyone.
You don't get to blithly claim ONLY white men had the power to do as they did when the reality is Blacks and Indians did it before whites for 3 times as long. And that is EXACTLY what you did. And to top it off slavery is STILL practiced in Africa BY Blacks against Blacks and you ignore that too.

All of that is true. But what you and others on the left always fail to mention is those wrongs were for the most part corrected. 500,000 men died (mostly white) to free the slaves. Millions of whites marched and supported the civil rights movement. Without white support it never would have happened. Women got the vote, mostly because of efforts by white women to make it happen.

We have always strived to be a more perfect Union. We have a come a long way. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that?

All of that is true. But what you and others on the left always fail to mention is those wrongs were for the most part corrected. 500,000 men died (mostly white) to free the slaves. Millions of whites marched and supported the civil rights movement. Without white support it never would have happened. Women got the vote, mostly because of efforts by white women to make it happen.

WE have always strived to be a more perfect Union. WE have a come a long way. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that?
It does not fit her belief that white men are to blame for all the worlds ills. Women got the vote because of white men if I am not mistaken most states hadn't enacted that right yet and not many women actually voted to boot.

WE have always strived to be a more perfect Union. WE have a come a long way. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that?

I agree, we have, and I acknowledge that. But I think it is important to also acknowledge we have a ways to go still, particularly in providing an honest history.

For example...women got the vote mostly through the efforts of white women...

Where were the black women? They were there...often marginalized...fighting on two fronts...but our historical narratives omit them Or relegate them to a foot note.

Well, historically, yes...it was for whites. White males.
This portion is absolutely not true. There was a time when men and women MARRIED. If you're talking about the vote, the husband voted for the FAMILY UNIT. Voting wasn't taken so casually like it is today.

Whether you like it or not the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are this country's founding documents. If you don't like it you have two choices. Move to a country you like better or wrest the nation away in a massive civil war to create the nation you want.

Forum List

Back