ruh roh, Was Stairway to Heaven plagerized

As he puts it up his nose...... then he laughs with his broz.....cuz they stole it near Seven--- Ele-ven.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo. It really was a blunder. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I never guessed they'd wonder.
If there's a lawman. in.your. hedgerow:;ya better run man.
He's there to serve you with pa----pers................

There is a lot of plagiarism going on in creative fields. Where there is money to be made you find lazies that will steal your ideas. There are verified stories of say a producer leaving a new script or screenplay on his desk and the cleaners that came in to clean his office stole it and sold it.

There are also a lot of coincidences in creative fields as well. With tens of thousands of people in say the music industry you are going to get songs that sound similar or even note for note in some cases as the musical scale is pretty limited. You will also get very similar lyrics to a song as people 'generally' have similar experiences in life and similar emotions/responses to them.

Creative works are by definition in something of a gray area because you can't copyright an idea, only the expression of it. So if you come up with a story about a prison break, all someone else has to do is change some of the details and now it's tough to claim plagiarism. Best to keep your ideas and works to yourself until ready to sell it or go public.

One of the biggest rock songs of that era.
A little past my time
Heading for trial at any rate.

'Stairway To Heaven' Plagiarism Suit Heads To Trial

Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant stole a ton of stuff but Stairway is quite a stretch. A descending A minor progression that happens to start the same way as "Taurus" --- doesn't make for plagiarism. There are myriad examples of other songs they actually did steal, in many cases note for note and/or lyric for lyric. A bunch of 'em.

The irony is that while Stairway is ironically one song they did that actually is original, when Little Roger and the Goosebumps came out with this parody record -- complete with full songwriting credits -- LedZep sued them and got the record squashed.

A little past my time

Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant stole a ton of stuff but Stairway is quite a stretch. A descending A minor progression that happens to start the same way as "Taurus" --- doesn't make for plagiarism. There are myriad examples of other songs they actually did steal, in many cases note for note and/or lyric for lyric. A bunch of 'em.

The irony is that while Stairway is ironically one song they did that actually is original, when Little Roger and the Goosebumps came out with this parody record -- complete with full songwriting credits -- LedZep sued them and got the record squashed.

Too bad you only concern yourself with music of black artists stolen by whites. That's because you're an institutional and overt racist.
Consider how much music -- and even identities -- were stolen from blacks by blacks.

A little past my time

Too bad you only concern yourself with music of black artists stolen by whites. That's because you're an institutional and overt racist.
Consider how much music -- and even identities -- were stolen from blacks by blacks.

Ummm..... Spirit were white. And so were Little Roger and the Goosebumps.
For that matter so was Anne Bredon (source of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"). And Joan Baez, whence they got it.
And Jake Holmes (source of "Dazed and Confused").
And Moby Grape (source of "Since I Been Loving You").

Not that anyone, anywhere, ever, brought that criterion up until you just did, but that's how it works out. We can however count the black ones if that's what your obsession is. I know of plenty of examples but none where a color pattern was established; LZ was an equal-opportunity nicker.

I see the hallucinogenic cleaning products are on sale again.

Last edited:
As he puts it up his nose...... then he laughs with his broz.....cuz they stole it near Seven--- Ele-ven.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo. It really was a blunder. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I never guessed they'd wonder.
If there's a lawman. in.your. hedgerow:;ya better run man.
He's there to serve you with pa----pers................
:lol:

What's really interesting about this, is Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit three years before Stairway was released.
It's likely Led Zep heard Spirit play Taurus over and over during the tour.

What's really interesting about this, is Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit three years before Stairway was released.
It's likely Led Zep heard Spirit play Taurus over and over during the tour.
it could also be that since LZ has lost more than one of these lawsuits that Randy Californias estate sees a few million bucks on the horizon.....here is a quote from Randy himself about this....

Randy California, who died in 1997, once told an interviewer:

"Well, if you listen to the two songs, you can make your own judgment. It's an exact… I'd say it was a rip-off. And the guys made millions of bucks on it and never said, 'Thank you,' never said, 'Can we pay you some money for it?' It's kind of a sore point with me. Maybe someday their conscience will make them do something about it. I don't know."

I listened to Taurus, you can hear some similarities but any guitar player would say STH is not a rip-off. Could it have inspired or buzzed around Jimmy Page's head, no doubt. A lot of creativity is mimicking or 'getting a seed from' something else.

I listened to Taurus, you can hear some similarities but any guitar player would say STH is not a rip-off. Could it have inspired or buzzed around Jimmy Page's head, no doubt. A lot of creativity is mimicking or 'getting a seed from' something else.

Zackly. After a similar 8 bars opening, the two tunes go in different directions.

Forum List

Back