Ear training

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
As much as I love music, a constant, chronic source of frustration is my inability to match the pitch I hear with either the right notes in my long suffering guitar, or just be able to recognize the tonality

I’m listening to Lang Lang play Beethoven 5th Piano Concerto, the Emperor Concerto and I’m struggling with the orchestra opening chord.

It reminds me a little of the Dm that starts Penguin in Bondage but lower, so I’d say Bm, but have no way of verifying. I can occasionally pick out Dm in songs or the Am that starts Stairway to Heaven

Is there any way to get help?

An app that will hear the pitch and report back the result might be a good start

Thank you in advance

As much as I love music, a constant, chronic source of frustration is my inability to match the pitch I hear with either the right notes in my long suffering guitar, or just be able to recognize the tonality

I’m listening to Lang Lang play Beethoven 5th Piano Concerto, the Emperor Concerto and I’m struggling with the orchestra opening chord.

It reminds me a little of the Dm that starts Penguin in Bondage but lower, so I’d say Bm, but have no way of verifying. I can occasionally pick out Dm in songs or the Am that starts Stairway to Heaven

Is there any way to get help?

An app that will hear the pitch and report back the result might be a good start

Thank you in advance
Are you able to detect the tone cluster before it shifts. Your ear should be able to hear a family of related notes and then sense the shift in key or higher/lower. You know the way rhythym guitarists play a chord behind several differnt notes or do chord solos like John Fogerty of CCC used to do

The Rick Beato course looks like it may be worth it....
I always could play music by ear so I didn't train myself but apparently one can. I found this maybe it will help.

Something like $80 for the complete course I believe .

Forum List

Back