Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin

Which is the GOAT? I preface my analysis by acknowledging the inherent subjectivity of such a task. Nonetheless, I believe that there are certain objective metrics by which to compare and contrast the two.

I think we all pretty much assume the obvious here, to wit: the Beatles are a bunch of fags and Led Zeppelin are GODS. Now, to be sure, I really like “Hey Jude” and “Helter Stelter” (Aerosmith’s version). I also hold Lennon’s “Imagine” in high regard, for the music and in spite of the leftist lyrical drivel. Let’s compare the 2 bands.

LZ inspired and influenced multiple generations of metal and hard rock. The Beatles inspired the creation of Oasis. Jimmy Page was a magnificent producer and production engineer that forged new ground in music production. The Beatles got stoned and had others do such work.

The screaming metal guitar solo found its genesis in Jimmy Page. The Beatles music is played today in elevators and in waiting rooms at geriatric doctors’ offices. Jimmy Page played a cherry sunburst Les Paul. Who knows what Harrison played (Was it Jerry Harrison? George Harrison? Pete Best? Who knows).

The Beatles were known for using hippy drugs and adopting Marxist beliefs. Jimmy Page bought Allister Crowley’s castle and is rumored to have been into dark shit. When you play “Black Dog” backwards you hear demonic voices beckoning you into darkness. When you play the Beatles backward you must listen for a moment to be sure it was not another drug fueled experimental ditty.

LZ partied HARD. The Beatles did psychedelics and put flowers in their hair. Jimmy Page was an accomplished musician when LZ began. The Beatles were the Backstreet Boys of the day. Robert Plant sang with great soul and expression. Lennon and McCartney sang like pained white boys with poles up their asses. The Beatles got into Indian mysticism when they were dropping acid. LZ wrote “Kashmir”.

Nobody looks cooler performing on stage than Zep. The Beatles stood still and maybe rocked their heads slightly back and forth like dorks. The Beatles have no song nearly as monumental in terms of recognition and fan love as “Stairway to Heaven”.

The analysis can go on ad nauseum. But I think it is decisively clear that Led Zeppelin are musical gods while the Beatles were a bunch of clowns. In fact, I feel a twinge of shame for even posting this, as it seemingly legitimizes the Beatles as deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as LZ. But there you go.
Eagles.

Apples and oranges. Both engaging.

But if both bands were appearing in the same city on the same night and I could only go to one I would be at Led Zeppelins, for a fact.
Okay that's a good way to look at it... same night?... oh man... Beatles as they were on the roof top in London or top of the charts Led Zeppelin?... Dang it dang it that's a tough one... but I have to go with John Paul George and Ringo....

I guess it is a matter of perspective because I hear LZ all the time. But I am more prone to notice them than the Beatles. There’s like 6-7 stations on SiriusXM that regularly play Zeppelin songs.

The Beatles have their own Sirius channel.

18, I believe.

Having little or no musical ability I have to stand in awe of people with the technical expertise to analyze the difference in sounds inherent in different pop groups of the 60's and 70's. My guess is that technical advanced have made it impossible to sort out any difference between pop stars of today.

Which is the GOAT? I preface my analysis by acknowledging the inherent subjectivity of such a task. Nonetheless, I believe that there are certain objective metrics by which to compare and contrast the two.

I think we all pretty much assume the obvious here, to wit: the Beatles are a bunch of fags and Led Zeppelin are GODS. Now, to be sure, I really like “Hey Jude” and “Helter Stelter” (Aerosmith’s version). I also hold Lennon’s “Imagine” in high regard, for the music and in spite of the leftist lyrical drivel. Let’s compare the 2 bands.

LZ inspired and influenced multiple generations of metal and hard rock. The Beatles inspired the creation of Oasis. Jimmy Page was a magnificent producer and production engineer that forged new ground in music production. The Beatles got stoned and had others do such work.

The screaming metal guitar solo found its genesis in Jimmy Page. The Beatles music is played today in elevators and in waiting rooms at geriatric doctors’ offices. Jimmy Page played a cherry sunburst Les Paul. Who knows what Harrison played (Was it Jerry Harrison? George Harrison? Pete Best? Who knows).

The Beatles were known for using hippy drugs and adopting Marxist beliefs. Jimmy Page bought Allister Crowley’s castle and is rumored to have been into dark shit. When you play “Black Dog” backwards you hear demonic voices beckoning you into darkness. When you play the Beatles backward you must listen for a moment to be sure it was not another drug fueled experimental ditty.

LZ partied HARD. The Beatles did psychedelics and put flowers in their hair. Jimmy Page was an accomplished musician when LZ began. The Beatles were the Backstreet Boys of the day. Robert Plant sang with great soul and expression. Lennon and McCartney sang like pained white boys with poles up their asses. The Beatles got into Indian mysticism when they were dropping acid. LZ wrote “Kashmir”.

Nobody looks cooler performing on stage than Zep. The Beatles stood still and maybe rocked their heads slightly back and forth like dorks. The Beatles have no song nearly as monumental in terms of recognition and fan love as “Stairway to Heaven”.

The analysis can go on ad nauseum. But I think it is decisively clear that Led Zeppelin are musical gods while the Beatles were a bunch of clowns. In fact, I feel a twinge of shame for even posting this, as it seemingly legitimizes the Beatles as deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as LZ. But there you go.
None of what you say is true about either band both of which are tremendous in nature though travel somewhat different roads from time to time.

Though not a Led Zepplin song, as it was created and recorded before the band fully formed.
It was produced by John Paul Jones and put on the back side of a Led 45.

Rare... only 2:32 long but beautiful

McCartney wrote something like 300 songs of all genres. He is the reason the Beatles stayed together as long as they did.
No
He was indeed a song writing machine, but most of it was garbage. It is just true.
Like I said, literally 70% of what they recorded ranged from truly awful to just tolerable.
Another 20% was outstanding, and another 10% was revolutionaty.
But all anyone remembers is the 30%... not the 70% of the album filling crap they sold.

Insane. Zeo arent even the best British rock band. Maybe top 10.

Forum List

Back