Zone1 REPARATION NOW! The US Owes $350,000 To Every Black American

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
The late honorable John Conyers, D-Michigan, first introduced a billto congress in 1989, H.R.3745 - Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act. Conyers said this about hisproposed legislation: “My bill does four things: It acknowledges thefundamental injustice and inhumanity of slavery; It establishes a commissionto study slavery, its subsequent racial and economic discrimination againstfreed slaves; It studies the impact of those forces on today’s living AfricanAmericans; and the commission would then make recommendations toCongress on appropriate remedies to redress the harm inflicted on living African Americans.”

Conyers introduced this bill in every Congress until he left the bodyin 2017. For 28 years, American lawmakers refused to pass this legislation. Instead, the American right dishonestly distorted the issue. At every level,the American government owes reparations to not only descendants of slaves, but due to continuing acts of racism, all black citizens of this country. We hear the excuses of how we weren’t slaves and whites today didn’t own slaves. Well, the argument or demand has nothing to do with what or who individual whites owned. The demand is for reparations from the government(s) that made the laws and policies.

Many who argue against reparations start and end their oppositionbased only on slavery. That is a mistake.

No mistake at all. The ancestors of the Slaves have benefited incredibly so from the hardships of those first brought here.

Slavery is still a huge problem in Africa. The likelihood of those pushing reparations of still being slaves, or slave owners, had their ancestors not been brought over is real.

The late honorable John Conyers, D-Michigan, first introduced a billto congress in 1989, H.R.3745 - Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act. Conyers said this about hisproposed legislation: “My bill does four things: It acknowledges thefundamental injustice and inhumanity of slavery; It establishes a commissionto study slavery, its subsequent racial and economic discrimination againstfreed slaves; It studies the impact of those forces on today’s living AfricanAmericans; and the commission would then make recommendations toCongress on appropriate remedies to redress the harm inflicted on living African Americans.”

Conyers introduced this bill in every Congress until he left the bodyin 2017. For 28 years, American lawmakers refused to pass this legislation. Instead, the American right dishonestly distorted the issue. At every level,the American government owes reparations to not only descendants of slaves, but due to continuing acts of racism, all black citizens of this country. We hear the excuses of how we weren’t slaves and whites today didn’t own slaves. Well, the argument or demand has nothing to do with what or who individual whites owned. The demand is for reparations from the government(s) that made the laws and policies.

Many who argue against reparations start and end their oppositionbased only on slavery. That is a mistake.

Ummmmmm, nope. You aren't owed a damned thing.

I'm sorry but I'm just not a fan of reparations. Everyone concerned on both sides is long gone,

For starters my family didn't move here until just before WWII, everyone concerned on both sides is long gone, and I think it would foster a whole shitload of resentment that the community doesn't need.

What about your children and grandchildren?
Their ancestors were slaves too?

Don‘t they deserve $350,000 too?
Why should you receive it all?

I'm sorry but I'm just not a fan of reparations. Everyone concerned on both sides is long gone,

For starters my family didn't move here until just before WWII, everyone concerned on both sides is long gone, and I think it would foster a whole shitload of resentment that the community doesn't need.
You're wrong and that's the problem. The issue is not just slavery and I was born during Jim Crow. So once again, I'm going to present one of many examples of reparations paid in modern times for things that happened long ago.

And Crepitus, your family moved here during Jim Crow. That means they were able to do things blacks weren't able to do.

Last edited:
Cobell v Salazar
This is a case of reparations due to continuing damages created by the Dawes Act of 1877.

The opposition to black reparations is based on sheer racist hatred. Precedents have been set as other groups who have been harmed by the government have received reparations. As for the tired worn out excuse of“why should I pay for something I did not do,” here is an example of reparations made in modern times for things done by past generations.

I am quite sure no one living in 1980 was alive when the U.S.government made the Fort Laramie treaty with the Sioux Nation or wereparticipants in Custers violation of that treaty. Nor were they alive whenPresident Grant decided it was OK to let settlers and people prospectingfor gold tresspass into land promised to the Sioux thereby violating thetreaty. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to takethe land from the Sioux by military force. No one in 1980 was alive whenthe U.S. government decided to cut off supplies they promised the Siouxas condition for their surrender after whipping the U.S. Army at The Battleof Little Bighorn. But in 1980, the government of the United Statesdecided reparations were due to the Sioux Nation for what was done tothem in the 1800’s. They awarded the Sioux nation 105 million dollars.

There is no real excuse for this opposition and if you guys were honest abouterasing inequality created by the racism that has allowed each of you to live fairly in this country, you would have watched the videotape to listen to the fact that the call for reparations goes faer past slavery and does include today.

You're wrong and that's the problem. The issue is not just slavery and I was born during Jim Crow. So once again, I'm going to present one of many examples of reparations paid in modern times for things that happened long ago.
You're still on Jim Crow. The more intelligent and ambitious have moved on along with the rest of the world.

Lets cut to the chase. Would a free third of a million dollars for every black person finally end your bitching?

Would that ransom payment finally end this garbage forever and for all?

And Crepitus, your family moved here during Jim Crow. That means they were able to do things blacks weren't able to do.
And none of that has anything to do with me.

And none of that has anything to do with me.
Actually it's does, because your people benefitted from Jim Crow. However, your argument fails in this one big way and it's important:

This is a case against the government, what you did or did not do doesn't matter. And it's time that whites with your same mindset recognized this.

Actually it's does, because your people benefitted from Jim Crow. However, your argument fails in this one big way and it's important:

This is a case against the government, what you did or did not do doesn't matter. And it's time that whites with your same mindset recognized this.
Sorry, I'm all for things like affirmative action and similar programs, but cash reparations is a non-starter for me.

I'm Italian, BTW. Grandma was a WOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back