reading about slavery enrages me

Every time that I think or read about American slavery it makes me white-hot mad. I’m not sure if that healthy, but it happens. And, I think about American slavery ALL THE TIME.

It was a disgusting situation. I always struggle with judging people by their time and surroundings or by my standards. Usually I split it. Even for 1860 I think our South was backwards though.
1860 ? How about 1975 ? I remember trying to go into a bar in Selma,AL-stan with a black bro I worked with. "You come in, nigga stay out." I had a 66 duece with a stoked 327 so as we rolled I emptied a Browning high power to reduce the heat in their interior. Poor guys. No AC. I always try to be helpful

Do you hate the white people that were cruel to the slaves or admire the slaves for their fortitude?
Both.
I would say that there are going to be cruel people all throughout history of all colors, creeds, and religions. There has to be a balance between those feelings.

Although the slaves endured cruelty, most were not willing to go back to Liberia when offered free trips back to their original country. Why do you think that was the case?
Again, you can't justify it.
You cannot apply today's morals to people who lived 100+ years ago or more. Do you feel the same when speaking about Native Americans and colonialism? Stop the whining. No one is justifying anything.

Every time that I think or read about American slavery it makes me white-hot mad. I’m not sure if that healthy, but it happens. And, I think about American slavery ALL THE TIME.

It was a disgusting situation. I always struggle with judging people by their time and surroundings or by my standards. Usually I split it. Even for 1860 I think our South was backwards though.
1860 ? How about 1975 ? I remember trying to go into a bar in Selma,AL-stan with a black bro I worked with. "You come in, nigga stay out." I had a 66 duece with a stoked 327 so as we rolled I emptied a Browning high power to reduce the heat in their interior. Poor guys. No AC. I always try to be helpful

To be clear by liking your post I'm liking what YOU had to say, not your buddy not being let in the bar.

Damn, 1975. I always called it the American Racist party that got the vote down south them couple elections. It happened to some extent everyplace though to be fair.

"since you're gonna be black till the day you die, dont expect anyone to call you by your goddamn name, just act like you're a goddamn piece of furniture and deal with" - LBJ to his black driver

Reading about the days of slavery is indeed infuriating. Any time you read about man's inhumanity toward fellow man, it is infuriating. And it's infuriating that one cannot change the past.

Therefore, I would prefer to read the lessons than can be derived from such unpleasantries. I like to read about those who sought to do right, the abolitionists, their trials, their accomplishments, their overcoming of circumstances. What worked for them and what didn't. Does incrementalism work or is out-right abolition the only true course. Read about the abolitionists, William Wilberforce, Olaudah Equiano, the early Quakers, William Lloyd Garrison and The Liberator, the Lovejoys, Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, John Brown, etc. to name just a few. Use their experiences to not allow the injustices of today, against those who would take away our liberty and civil rights, against those who would cause harm to another.

If slavery enrages you then you shouldn’t read or engage I history because the further you go back the worse it gets. And, it is not healthy it can only end badly for you.

I just recently watched this.

For an African-American (or anybody with a conscience) it is natural and healthy to remember and feel anger at slavery, this source of so much pain and conflict, this “original sin” of our country. Of course most important is to take that anger and indignation and use it to make oneself a better and more sensitive person, to study and try to understand how oppression and exploitation works even today. I think most Americans don’t take this responsibility seriously and are remarkably uninterested in studying carefully this central part of our country’s history. Most white Americans, if they pay attention to the issue at all, see it in terms of Civil War battles, some even re-enacting them. Many still have an almost “Gone With The Wind” nostalgia about the period. Of course many others just salve their conscience by regurgitating simplified history that blames only “southerners” and absolves the North of all responsibility for racism pre- and post- Civil War.

Which brings me to the old tapes of interviews with men and women born as slaves but mostly raised under terrible Jim Crow conditions in the South. The largest collections of such interviews were transcribed during the Great Depression as an FDR job creation program. I recall reading many of these usually short transcripts, mostly written down in the Deep South by white men. Often these short anecdotal transcripts of whole lives and families were used by “Lost Cause” historians because they often portray the old ex-slaves as forgiving, even sympathetic to white bosses and individual white people. The reality that these Southern white interviewers were often typical racists of their day, the blacks dependent and almost helpless in their old age after spending a lifetime under Jim Crow, shows through in striking little ways — if you are sensitive enough to catch them.

They are not all like the interviews selected here! But revealingly, among the many hundreds of transcribed life histories I read, I noticed one glaring fact. Even in the 1930s in the deepest of “Deep South” states, when the conversation drifted to “Mr. Lincoln” the overwhelmingly positive feelings gushed out. I can only imagine how those old men and women felt as those ordinary southern white men of that time, literate strangers and “government men” — but still just white southerners — reluctantly took down their words.

Last edited:
P.S. Here is the link to the Federal Writer’s Project interviews I mentioned earlier, conducted from 1936-1938 mostly among poverty-afflicted Southern blacks over the age of 80. It is an important historical record, but it must be read carefully and in context, with due regard to its limitations, as indicated in the second link below:
An Introduction to the WPA Slave Narratives | Articles and Essays | Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 | Digital Collections | Library of Congress

"Christianity and the horrors of slavery" was Malcolm X's favorite historical subject, and rightly so, my friends

The United States didn't inherit slavery from anybody. We created it.

Do you believe that? If you believe that, you need to brush up on your history. Slavery was practiced by every culture on earth both civilized and primitive form the being of time. And by the way, civilized does not mean a humane culture; some of the most brutal cultures were civilizations. Most of the primitive cultures practiced at least female slavery. They would kill male captives but keep some of the women. I refer you to the Comanche empire.

Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans and Native Americans have also been treated very badly throughout American history.

Heck!

Just read that in 1492 there were an estimated 12-15 million Native Americans in what we now call the United States. By 1900, there were 237,000 Indians left -- thanks in part to a deliberate American program of genocide.

This is 2020. The three ethnicities mentioned in the first paragraph do not generally spend a lot of time bitterly recalling the past. They use their efforts to take advantage of today's opportunities.

That is what mature adults do.

Forum List

Back